Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
commish
Sep 17, 2009

Zotix posted:

Dooku is a character that i feel has a lot of value at early and mid game but drastically falls off late game. I don't know much about greedo but he could be the opposite. There are a lot of characters that people just don't know about and their synergies.

I'm level 54 and I still fear the Dooku. He can attack so god drat much sometimes and just wreck a team. I didn't like Greedo because his grenades take too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commish
Sep 17, 2009

General consensus so far:

Jedi Consular (Easy to farm and gear, strong)
Chewie (easy to farm, strong)
Old Daka from Cantina (dark side lacks healers)
Sidious from Arena (probably best character in game, recently buffed for no apparent reason)
Luminara from Galactic War (strong attack who can heal)

The only character I think is "required" to target is Old Daka. There just are no other options for dark side healers, and she's strong in and of herself.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Zotix posted:

I actually kill him last. His damage is terrible honestly. I target healers first. Ability interrupt chewie so he doesn't taunt if there is one, finish killing any healers, then kill chewie, then Dooku last while stunned. He really is a mediocre character if you can CC him.

I just got Lumi to 6* gear VII. She is just a monster. 2-2.5k normal attacks. Crits around 4k. I've gotta figure out who I want to focus on next in galactic war as I'll have her completed by this time next week. There seems to be a huge power jump around 6*. Larger than anything I've seen before that. Maybe it's just her and other characters won't power spike as well.

The only problem with Dooku is that he's probably still 4 star for most people, while other characters are 5/6/7 stars. He just can't compete as a 4 star. I finish top 10 in Arena most nights, and I still use Dooku at 54, but I feel like those days are nearing an end because I can't level him fast enough. Barriss was already retired for that same reason.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

My favorite bug is fighting Chewie in Darkside mission 5A. This fucker has a turn every 2 seconds, and even when he's healing or taunting, HE STILL SHOOTS ME AT THE SAME TIME. I couldn't beat him despite outleveling him and having nearly all my strong guys on my team. He just kept healing.

But the real reason I will quit this game is the drop rate of items/shards. I just spent 120 energy, 12 fights, on Kylo and got 0 shards. How is this a thing?

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Zotix posted:

It's absolutely disgusting. I just went through 120 stamina myself and didn't get a piece. The problem is you don't see this until you are level 50. So everyone has fun at the beginning playing all of their favorite characters and then bam a month in you hit this wall. Hopefully you haven't spent any money because you basically need to shell out a lot more to gear up. If you go with what the game regenerates over the course of the day, and 2 50 gem refills it'll take a month for one piece.

Yeah, gearing up is a HUGE grind. I'd be okay with that if I was getting pieces with each pull. I stopped farming for a bunch of characters because I realized I was just throwing stamina away and getting absolutely nothing. All this sucks most of all because it's star wars - I want to collect the guys I like. But I can't. The game is forcing me to focus on a very narrow group of characters and ignore the rest. So, I spend most of my energy getting gear, knowing that, without spending money, it will take me MONTHS to get even a group of 5 characters to 7* with all level 8 gear. It needs to be tuned. Worst part is, they copied this gameplay model from other games (e.g., Heroes Charge) that handle this issue so much better. I don't know how you can see a system that works, copy it, make it worse on purpose, then release it.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Zotix posted:

I think a lot of it is the daily challenges are missing the higher level gear. I'm not talking about training droids, ability mats, etc. I mean the ones that actually drop gear components. We are missing the end game ones right now. Only one of them drops a purple component, and there are 10+ different types of purple gear. This means currently you are forced to dump tons of energy into running farming gear.

This actually makes a ton of sense. It would go a LONG way toward alleviating the issue.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Went up against a Poe for the first time in arena, and I got my rear end handed to me like I never have before. Makes me want to switch to Poe and leave Daka as her 4 star self.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Zotix posted:

I use 300 crystals on cantina energy per day and 400 crystals on regular energy per day. That gets me pretty far along

I had been refreshing cantina only once per day, but I really should be trying for 2 most likely. Still, I almost have Kylo. I think I'm at 60/80.

I only spend 300 per day on the regular refreshes - I think it's 50/50/100/100 and then it jumps to 200, which I don't do. That's all supported by my arena winnings each day.

What I learned long ago in these types of games is that spending a little bit of money at launch, say, $20, goes a long way because it puts you ahead of the curve, which means you can get higher arena ranks (and whatever other competitive modes there are) as well as GW in this game. That means you collect more gems, shards and other resources faster than anyone else, which means you can maintain your high positions easier, so you get more shards/gems/etc. Spending that same $20 two months after release won't have nearly the same impact.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Zotix posted:

This game is loving stupid with the defenders advantage. They get crazy saving rolls on everything. All skills proc crazy amounts. Literally every galactic war today had Dakas reviving people and double stunning my team. You know how many times mine double stunned over the course of 9 matches? Zero. You know how many people she revived? Zero. Yet every other persons Daka was proccing left and loving right. Also, the loving saving rolls on people at 5% life. loving 5/6 dodges in a roll. Over and over and then they get healed because you can't loving kill them. Who gives a flying gently caress if you can focus targets down when defenders have magical hidden numbers helping them out.

Haha, yeah, I almost always start off a match by getting stunned twice by my opponent's Dooku. I mean, every match, double stun. Also almost always get double stunned by their Daka. I would love to know if I am ever getting that same benefit on defense, but, for the first time in any pvp game, we are not permitted to know if we've been actually attacked. Weird design decision.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Zotix posted:

About 8 weeks to swgoh 4 weeks. They have loads of contests too. Not just holidays.

Global version of Seven Knights came out in the beginning of October, and it's a localized version of the Korean game that has been out for a few years. Not really fair to compare that to this game, which was started from scratch and just released.

That's no excuse for EA doing nothing. Even a free chromium pack would have been better than this stupid contest that I don't even understand.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Was finally able to reach the #1 spot in arena. I attribute my temporary success to the stupidity of the AI.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Zotix posted:

I wouldn't really focus on a team to kill Dooku. Here's the thing, for 99.9% of players he's going to be at 3/4 stars. In your 50s a lot of your team is going to be 5*+. People will start using him less and less because his stats are garbage at that point. If you run into him, kill him last. Get your Sidious asap, focus down healers and low hp characters first.

Yeah, I see him less and less the higher ranks that I get. I am level 59 now and I don't see him more often than I do. I usually leave Dooku for last unless I get a stun on him. Sometimes I'll use Lumi's big attack on Dooku then finish him off, but it depends on how many healers the other team has. Nothing worse than getting him down to 10% health then having a Barris heal him to full. Almost always a loss if that happens.

That said, he really is a pain to deal with, and a skill lock on him should also prevent his counter.

The #1 worst character to face is and will always be god drat Ben. Second will be Leia, who is so strong. The damage she does is just silly. It's kind of annoying how the developers made many of the best characters pay-only, but at the same time, they made their monetization system genius (for their own bottom line). Really, the only area where we are competing with each other is in arena, and they made it so that even if you have a relatively weak arena team, you'll get a good number of arena tokens to unlock new characters.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Yah there's a video of the FO pilot one shotting Vader. It's pretty crazy.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Zotix posted:

I accepted you and roid but nobody else. I don't know who the others are unless they post here. I certainly don't want to be friends with any damned arena snipers

Haha every time I get a new friend request, I think "nooooo I lost in arena".

commish
Sep 17, 2009

explosivo posted:

134-495-162, add me goons! I'm hitting a wall around level 37, about to unlock the Galactic War thing though so that's pretty cool I guess.

Is it really best to use Crystals on Energy? I was told by a friend to save for the 350 Data Pack for the chance of getting a character/shards but that's pretty slow going.

10000000000% certain that it's better to spend on energy.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Zotix posted:

Just a tip about GW for those of you in that range. You can retreat with no consequences, I'm sure you know about that. Just click the gear in top left, retreat and you are fine. It'll wipe all buffs/ debuffs etc. However if the enemy team attacked first like 3x, they'll attack again 3x when you go back in. Here's something else though, if you lose a character, just kill your client completely and reload it. It'll act as if the match never happened. However, if you don't make any roster adjustments the battle will play out exactly the same way. Dooku attacked twice first turn? He'll do it again. HOWEVER, if you make any roster changes, the battle will play out differently. Use the combination of retreating, and close the client to skate your way to a full 12/12 GW clear daily.

Yeah, that was my post on Reddit :p I've been doing that since launch. I thought everyone was. Lot of ppl on Reddit are mad at me for posting that though. Lot of hate mail. Whatever. It makes GW a lot easier. They can bite me if they think it's cheap.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Hughlander posted:

More attention means more resources towards fixing it. People complaining were probably using it all along.

(that said I wish you had just posted it here as i didn't know about it and don't want it fixed now that I do)

Yeah well I'm done posting there. I think most of the animosity was just as you say - I let their little secret out of the bag.

The good news is that I doubt very much that it'll ever get fixed. There's a bunch of games with this same "problem", and unless they introduce some type of fee for joining the fight (e.g., energy), closing the app and restarting the fight will always work. Honestly, all it does is make it easier to finish GW. Doesn't really give any advantage in arena or any other competitive mode, so they probably won't care much. We will see!

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Honestly, Daka is barely a healer. Her heal sucks. Great character, but just not for the heal :)

It's weird (or cool?) when you think about it. Dark side has basically no tanks with taunt (only 1, a storm trooper I believe) and very few healers. Light side has many tanks with taunt and many healers. Perhaps the devs are trying to make the point that the dark side is all about death and destruction.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Sometimes I feel like the meta in this game is like a giant 2000 foot long tanker. In the tanker you have to plan your turns so far ahead because it turns so slowly. Here it takes forever to get new characters, so you have to plan so far ahead. I'm working on an AOE team of Poe/Kylo/IG88/Sid/Darth (or maybe lumi for heal) but it's going to take months for them to reach 7 stars. And who knows, that team might suck, everyone might be running the perfect counter to that team, but I have to spend so much time regardless.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

3D GAY WORLD posted:

I've gotta say, it's shockingly easy to get to a high ranking in the arena. I'm only level 37 and I'm already at rank #207, and have been below #500 for a day or two.

It is. Keep in mind that not everyone's arena ends at the same time - it's 6 pm local time of whatever time zone you are in. So, often, you won't even be challenged as you move up the ranks.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Vhak lord of hate posted:

I feel bad for all of you guys who got shuffled into hard PvP ladders, my team is a pile of poo poo at level 38 and I'm resting easy at 87. Luck of the draw I guess, I'm sure I won't hold on to it long since I'm a dipshit and using all my tokens for Greedo and Fives instead of Sid and Daka

Greedo and Fives are actually pretty good, but not better than Sid of course. I think Daka is good to get at 4 stars for dark side missions, but I stopped leveling her because I wouldn't use her in PvP. In fact, I'd rather see her in PvP because she does so little damage. Stuns are great, as is the revive, but you really can't rely on on those procs.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Canemacar posted:

Any word on how often new characters are released? I'm curious when Jedi Luke, Yoda, and Scoundrel Han will be coming out.

Just today the devs posted that in January they are going to raise the cap to 70 and give us additional levels, maps, etc. I would expect some additional characters next month as well.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Yeah, the drop rates are pretty atrocious, but at least they are atrocious for everyone pretty equally.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Zotix posted:

Hoooooooly gently caress I've got a sick team for you guys that are in your late 50's and may have some characters to play around with.

Phasma L
Dooku
Luminara
Daka
Sidious

You have god damned never ending attacks, multiple ways to stun, ability block, healing debuff, and two heals. The only thing you don't have is heal through healing block, like Barris. This loving team attacks all day, and just throws out tons of disruptive poo poo when doing it. Double attacks with Dooku and Daka, just stunning everyone. I should have 6* Daka in a few days, which will be even better because she won't be so paper thin. The only negative to this team is Dooku, who is so hard to star up. I should have 5* Dooku in about a week. The problem is, he's not really very replaceable in this team. Fives is similar, but I'm not quite sure fills the niche. I might play around with subbing out Sidious later on for FOTP. If he can just instantly kill someone off the bat, who needs healing debuffs.

This team would have a problem against teams with taunt tanks. Just not enough damage I think. I really want a phasma but she's not really a good fit for my team. I hope they put her shards somewhere else.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Metos posted:

Luminara ability blocking the taunt usually gives you time to gently caress someone over, and then purposefully deal some damage to the tank with Phasma hopefully sending some bonus attacks with Sidious will cause Chewie to use his heal rather than his taunt, nullified by Sidious landing heal immunity.

But yes I can't see giving up my resistance trooper + Phasma death machine for that just yet.

Poe and Han are both faster than Lumi though, so you couldn't stop the taunts, and you have to hope that THEIR Lumi doesn't ability block yours. Phasma/Dooku/Daka are three of the lowest damage dealing characters in the game so once the taunt goes up, it might be game over.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Brian Fellows posted:

They gave away the best leader that's not a "get lucky with a chromium draw" character, that's also farmable in Galactic War?

And I got Poe?

Poe was the better get than Phasma, tbh. It's so much easier to get a Phasma than a Poe, and Poe is a very, very good character (currently a core member of my team).

commish
Sep 17, 2009

The only risk with hoarding points is that they remove someone from the rotation that you might have wanted. Once they are gone, they are much harder to farm. Other games give a warning before removing characters like that, but EA/CG doesn't seem to be very pro-consumer so far.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Yeah, the devs said they are going to tune GW, as the fights are not scaling correctly. Level 50s should not be fighting level 60s, although you can win if you use/abuse the retreat and force close methods.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Credits don't matter anymore once you get access to GW, but it does suck before that sometimes.

I wish that was the case. I'm always at 0 credits :)

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Starrett posted:

its something we should all be prepared for as the developers stated that they consider force quitting and even retreating to be kind of an exploit so i expect them to patch it out one of these days. and no i cannot cite my sources its something i saw reposted on reddit

I'd be a bit surprised if they fixed these issues because they existed in other games like this and devs couldn't/wouldn't fix because of the nature of the "exploit", meaning you'd need to introduce some type of real-time saving/loading which this game doesn't do. By the time they fix it, I'll probably have enough characters where it won't matter any more.

I refuse to believe that anyone could actually complete GW without losing any characters without using the retreat/close tricks. There's way too much nonsense with the proc rates and crits.

And Barriss is still a great character. Obviously she is great in GW, but also in Arena, she can be good if on the right team. I have mine at 5 stars and she's great in Arena offense because the enemy AI is so dumb. Spreads damage around and Barris can just heal up. On defense, who knows. I'd love to have a 7 star Barriss.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Chilichimp posted:

Would ya'll stop making GBS threads up this thread, please?

I got some free pseudo money from work that I used to redeem some itunes gift cards. After buying some Chromium packs, I now have a 3 star Kit Fisto, and I think I should work him into my arena lineup, need advice.

as of now:

3-star JC
3-star Lumi
4-star Chewie
3-star Luke
3-star Poe

Like others have said, Kit is good but almost impossible for us non-whales to level up to 7. I still believe that they will rotate characters offered in Cantina/GW/Arena, so we can get Kit shards sometime, just not now.

Overall, though, out of those mentioned on your team, you'll want to replace Chewie first because you won't need two taunt (and Poe is better). JC/Lumi/Luke/Poe are all top notch characters and well worth leveling to 7 stars. You just need another DPS on that team.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

New Leaf posted:

Man, getting rid of the daily gems is really loving painful for my rotation. I felt like a $5 weekly donation to the game as long as I played was pretty generous already, but it feels like they wanted to really reel you in before slapping you down again.

It's EA. They will make you spend the $20 for half as many gems.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Chilichimp posted:

I spent a bunch of free money I got from a dumb work thing buying Chromium packs.

I got some cool poo poo, but ultimately? It didn't help me at all, as the best meta right now revolves around poo poo you can farm. Unless you luck into a free Palpatine or Old Daka, you're pretty much wasting money. The story could be different after they change-up what's in the arena/GW shipments and balance the game next month.

Yeah, packs are fun, but almost a total waste of money. Refreshes are far better use of funds.

Also, I'm convinced that evasion leaders are the best for Arena, at least on defense. Attacking someone who has Dooku as their leader, with his 14% or so evasion, is just obnoxious. They dodge everything, given the AI proc boost. I'll attack 50 Phasmas before I attack a single Dooku.

commish fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 5, 2016

commish
Sep 17, 2009

This game is the #11th ranked app in the app store in terms of revenue generated. This game is making an insane amount of money, so I think they have monetized the game perfectly (for them). For us, it's pretty bad until you realize that packs are a waste of money. If you just spend crystals on refreshes, it's actually not nearly as bad as many other games. I'm really hoping they introduce more character packs because I'd be more likely to spend money on those than anything.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Zotix posted:

I know puzzles and dragons did 7 million a day during each godfest and that was 2013.

Yes and the problem with PAD was that you basically needed certain characters to efficiently do
Certain levels/bosses. So annoying and expensive.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Chilichimp posted:

PAD throws stones at you, though. I roll 2-3 times in each and every god fest. I've only spent 10 bucks on the game.

The real trick to PAD was to remake your account over and over and over again in the beginning, until the first thing you rolled was like a Horus or w/e. I did this. It took me a week before I could actually play the game, but it proved to be the single best investment, as I'm now level 300+ with a 400+ monster stable and I've never seen another Horus. Point is, you can play PAD without paying a dime, if you're just playing for a few minutes every day.

I've beaten nearly every descended dungeon with either Horus or Athena (which I couldn't have gotten without Horus).

Sorry for the PAD chat.

Yeah, I started when PAD launched, so I rerolled until I got a Green Odin (at the time, a pretty boss character). And you're right, they are very generous when it comes to giving freebies (GOH needs to do a much better job at this), but after a point, I felt like I was being hindered too much by not having certain characters. For example, you said you needed a Horus to beat Athena - well, I never had a Horus, so I'd have been screwed. Some bosses just needed a few other efficient paths to winning (other than throwing stones at it). Who knows, maybe it's better now. I retired. Really enjoyed my time with it though.

Back to GOH: I hope they introduce a new PvP system so I don't get knocked down repeatedly right before 6 pm. Trying to finish in the top 5/10 is almost not worth it because of how much effort it can take. I also hope we get some benefit from defensive wins. Maybe 10 arena points for each win you get on defense.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Hm devs said that there is no AI advantage when it comes to proc rates on things like stuns or dodge rates.

I find that extremely hard to believe.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

I had a GW fight yesterday where AI had 5 follow-ups in a row from Phasma's leader skill (16% chance? uh huh), and Dooku and Daka was stunning/double stunning everyone each. It was actually pretty funny because it was so ridiculous, so much so that I wanted to record it. I just restarted the fight with a different team.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Chilichimp posted:

Is it more efficient to farm gear from available Hard-mode missions, or just spam the 6-energy ones?

If it's a hard mode for a character I might eventually want (e.g., Boba), I will do that and hope for a shard or 2. I know it might be a waste of energy in the long run, but I've had so many sims give me nothing anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Dooku, Poggle, Rey, Daka, Fives, FO Pilot, Resistance Trooper

Since I don't have much gear to get (I'm only leveling certain characters), I farm less now that I'm at cap.

• Locked thread