Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Talia I believe is a better use of Cantina energy. Also, Barris is outclassed by Luminara, but having both is a good option. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

It's got $40 worth of currency, and a couple of 3* as well. For what it's worth

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

jabro posted:

Found the whale.

Nah, wouldn't drop it on those characters. If it was like a Leia, Sidious, Cad Bane bundle I would. Crit for days boys.

Also just got Daka today from cantina tokens. Also should hit Talia 5*, so I'm happy about that. Should be able to make good progress now on darkside missions. Just don't have the mats to upgrade their leader skills too much.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 17, 2015

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Since I'm a bit further ahead I'm going to give you guys some tips on what I've found to be effective things to focus on.

Always do all challenges? daily. That's the bulk of your account xp.

Try to spend at least the two 50 gem refills on regular energy. And if you can 100 gems on the one refill of cantina energy.

Try to do well in the arena daily. If you get a high rank you can do the above task. Use the last 30 minutes before the reset to snipe ranks. Especially the last 5. You can lock out a higher level and take his spot right as the rewards tick over if you time it right. Your arena bracket is a grouping of players that started around the same time. Yes there will be pay to win players in it. Yes you can still do well with the right comps.

Cantina energy should be focused on the last mission of the first grouping for Talia shards, or 1-3 for chewie shards. Use your cantina shards themselves on getting Old Daka. She's the second of two dark side healers, and is more of the traditional healer than Talia is. Without her you will be locked our of progressing dark side missions early.

Arena points should be spent on Sidious. Especially with his buffs recently. Galactic war shard the general opinion is Luminara. The patch yesterday made Jedi very weak to sith. I don't know if she's the best choice any more. The next few days we will see.

I'll add a few things as I think of them.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Just be aware the grind for epic materials in your 50's and beyond is attrocious in this game. I'm talking 2 materials per 120 energy, and you need 20 of them. If this isn't something you can handle, I'd probably stop playing.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

If you spend money gems are better spent on energy than pack pulls.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Every Sunday all challenges are open like similar games.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Mezzanine posted:

Getting Poe Dameron up to speed is fun. His Taunt puts the "Exposed" on all enemies, then follow up with any area damage character, no matter how weak, to drop the entire enemy team HP by 20%.
Plus, Poe Dameron was awesome in the film. I would say to go see it if you haven't, but c'mon, if you're reading a thread about this game, you've already seen it at least once.

Also, I'm going F2P as far as possible in this game, so I'll probably never get to use him, but just look at the skills for Kylo Ren. Goddamn, what a beast. What the hell is "Retribution"?

The general consensus is that his attributes end up being exceptionally low for an attacker and it hurts his toolkit. There have been a few writeups on the subreddit about him and that's what they all end up saying.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Dooku is a character that i feel has a lot of value at early and mid game but drastically falls off late game. I don't know much about greedo but he could be the opposite. There are a lot of characters that people just don't know about and their synergies.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Read my post from the first page I think. It tells you who to get from each shipment type. Other than that just do everything you can each day. Everything else depends on what characters you have.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Dooku is starting to see less and less action on my teams in the mid 50s. His health is just too low and he's fragile as hell. When I see one on the enemy team I just stun him and kill him with 2 or 3 attacks.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I actually kill him last. His damage is terrible honestly. I target healers first. Ability interrupt chewie so he doesn't taunt if there is one, finish killing any healers, then kill chewie, then Dooku last while stunned. He really is a mediocre character if you can CC him.

I just got Lumi to 6* gear VII. She is just a monster. 2-2.5k normal attacks. Crits around 4k. I've gotta figure out who I want to focus on next in galactic war as I'll have her completed by this time next week. There seems to be a huge power jump around 6*. Larger than anything I've seen before that. Maybe it's just her and other characters won't power spike as well.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

The sub reddit has some guides on how to best the challenges easier. Is that attacker over the one with opress or the one with the general and the Moff? If oppress kill the Droid first and bring one of two healers. Much easier.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Metos posted:

The one with the general and the moff. I managed to do it by just basic attacking through the encounter before it so everything was still up and still took until General Veers was able to call a strike down which thankfully left my Resistance Trooper and Jawa alive, who took him down before he could do it again. Fun to have a damage race like that I'll admit, but not fun to be forced into using 1* lvl1 characters because they just don't let you use the ones you'd clearly focused on up until then, and spending your resources on them to train them to be reliably able to do that one challenge is a waste.

Yeah, you destroy one Droid. Kill one person, kill other Droid, kill second person. The Droid gives a damage buff to all characters except the one who killed it.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Deep Winter posted:

I have the red number alert notification next to my character menu, but I don't know what it wants me to do. Nobody jas equipment to craft or equip, no yellow "not high enough level". No shards to complete, no abilitys to level that I could find. What am I missing?

Do you have skills that need to be upgraded?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Metos posted:

Hm I've spent my two arena days buying Sidious as is suggested, although I just realised if I do that then I'm probably not going to be able to use every goon's ridiculous 3000 power one as an ally, maybe I should've picked something else.

Also I may have accidentally rejected a few people's ally request because for some reason Decline is on top when Send is the top choice after battles. Whoops!

You can't use theirs in PvP which is why you are getting him in the first place.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

If you bought the Dooku pack and wanted to farm him to 7* it's about 200 days. I'd go on the subreddit for the game and make posts about the hard mode drop rate. I've done it the last few days and I'll keep doing it. That drop rate is loving poo poo. Reddit.com/r/swgalaxyofheroes is the sub reddit. I know for a fact that one employee looks at it daily.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Just want to reiterate that if you don't spend money on gems you basically hit a progression wall in your 50s. Just calced out 400 energy today. 40 energy per 1 purple piece of gear and you need between 20-60 per item. You do the math. The real problem is there aren't higher level challenges to give out that gear in the game currently. Don't be fooled by fun lightsabers and blasters. There's a very real time sink/ pay wall that shows up rather late.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

You can't look at 80 shards as being competitive though. Realistically it's like 10 shards out of 300+

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I firmly believe this game gives saving roll bonuses to defenders. The dodge/ evade/ deflect bullshit I've seen is unreal.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

commish posted:

But the real reason I will quit this game is the drop rate of items/shards. I just spent 120 energy, 12 fights, on Kylo and got 0 shards. How is this a thing?

It's absolutely disgusting. I just went through 120 stamina myself and didn't get a piece. The problem is you don't see this until you are level 50. So everyone has fun at the beginning playing all of their favorite characters and then bam a month in you hit this wall. Hopefully you haven't spent any money because you basically need to shell out a lot more to gear up. If you go with what the game regenerates over the course of the day, and 2 50 gem refills it'll take a month for one piece.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

commish posted:

Yeah, gearing up is a HUGE grind. I'd be okay with that if I was getting pieces with each pull. I stopped farming for a bunch of characters because I realized I was just throwing stamina away and getting absolutely nothing. All this sucks most of all because it's star wars - I want to collect the guys I like. But I can't. The game is forcing me to focus on a very narrow group of characters and ignore the rest. So, I spend most of my energy getting gear, knowing that, without spending money, it will take me MONTHS to get even a group of 5 characters to 7* with all level 8 gear. It needs to be tuned. Worst part is, they copied this gameplay model from other games (e.g., Heroes Charge) that handle this issue so much better. I don't know how you can see a system that works, copy it, make it worse on purpose, then release it.

I think a lot of it is the daily challenges are missing the higher level gear. I'm not talking about training droids, ability mats, etc. I mean the ones that actually drop gear components. We are missing the end game ones right now. Only one of them drops a purple component, and there are 10+ different types of purple gear. This means currently you are forced to dump tons of energy into running farming gear.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

It's the leader of your last used arena team

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I wouldn't classify Talia as lovely per say. She's got one thing going for her, she's easily farmable. I started like 3-4 weeks ago and I'm at 29/100 shards to 7* on her. She's already at like 3k+ power. She sucks on defense but is pretty good on offense. Also both darkside healers are night sisters. I'm close to hitting 5* gear 7 on Daka. Even then Talia is better on offense although dakas stuns are nice.

Here's my Talia and she is missing some gear. She should be 7* by the end of the weekend if I have enough credits.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 24, 2015

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Since I'm so close to finishing Talia, I'm not sure which cantina character I want to start farming next. Possibly Biggs, maybe Magnaguard. He seems like a really solid anti Jedi character.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I spent some money on crystals. Won't say that I'm F2P. Honestly the pulls are the worst way to spend crystals. Use them on energy so you can collect guaranteed characters. The game has been soft launched for a while now. There are quite a few PvP ladders going on with crazy high leveled characters that you won't see because of your start date.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I get what you are saying I farm quite a bit of hard modes. They need their numbers tweaked, and I've said that myself in this thread. I meant more along the lines of cantina farming. 300 crystals a day in cantina goes a long way.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I use 300 crystals on cantina energy per day and 400 crystals on regular energy per day. That gets me pretty far along

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I get 170 a day from the $5 daily deal, and then I get another 200-400 depending on how I do in arena that day. It's always the top 15. Then I drop $20 every 10-14 days on crystals so I have a little pile. I never go above those daily purchases, they get too expensive.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

CaptainAssholay posted:

Anyone found a resource that shows you what gains a character gets everytime you level up an ability? Like some people get more than just bonus damage 2 upgrades down the line but I'd like to have a plan in my head of who's skills I upgrade first.

I'm on my phone, but Google galaxy of heroes cantina. They list almost all of the upgrades for each of the heroes.

commish posted:

I only spend 300 per day on the regular refreshes - I think it's 50/50/100/100 and then it jumps to 200, which I don't do. That's all supported by my arena winnings each day.

You can get a third level of regular energy in for 100 before it jumps to 200. You're right though, it's all about your hold on the higher ranks in arena. 10-5 is a lot of crystals daily. I really have a hard time breaking into the top 5 as almost all of the guys in my bracket have 6* or better old Ben.

Greedo isn't bad though. He's like more of an end game character and requires more of a synergy than say Dooku. Dooku will carry you through early and mid, then fall off. Greedo gets stronger as the game goes on.

This game is loving stupid with the defenders advantage. They get crazy saving rolls on everything. All skills proc crazy amounts. Literally every galactic war today had Dakas reviving people and double stunning my team. You know how many times mine double stunned over the course of 9 matches? Zero. You know how many people she revived? Zero. Yet every other persons Daka was proccing left and loving right. Also, the loving saving rolls on people at 5% life. loving 5/6 dodges in a roll. Over and over and then they get healed because you can't loving kill them. Who gives a flying gently caress if you can focus targets down when defenders have magical hidden numbers helping them out.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 24, 2015

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

It costs 400 shards, you get 5 pieces of that character. It resets in 6h or you can spend 10 GW currency to refresh it.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

There's a thread on reddit about the dodges right now. Most people think they are too high. Also, I'm very surprised they did nothing for Xmas. No sales, no events, no indication anything special will happen tomorrow. Very disappointing.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Hughlander posted:

Check your inbox / newsletter for the holiday community challenge.

I honestly don't think that counts. Yes it's an event, but its a loving poor one. Load up 7 Knights and look at their winter promotion. You could argue that's a ton of poo poo. But what we got from EA on this is very minimal effort. There are a ton of things they could do but it doesn't look like we will get anything other than a few shards for Rey. I'll type out some more later but im in the intermission for hateful eight and I don't want to type a lot more on my phone.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Lucky for you in pretty sure that challenge is tomorrow. If not it's Saturday, and then again Sunday.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Hughlander posted:

Yes but the game just hard launched. Figure 40% is on vacation from that. 40% on xmas vacation, then split what's left among the next feature, bug fixes, and THEN the live team for in game contests and it will be a minimal effort. How long has 7 knights been out that they've had time to polish their live team pipeline and deliver episodic content?
About 8 weeks to swgoh 4 weeks. They have loads of contests too. Not just holidays.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I'd rather have a ton of mediocre stuff that's earned through contests playing the game. Rather than just giving stuff for free.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Wait until the Jawa's.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I told you all that before. Unless you are going super whale use your crystals on energy.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Rubicon posted:

Is the Heroine Starter Bundle worth it? I think I could use Barriss and it'd be three new characters.

edit: did some more research and have decided not to buy it.

Even after the next Barris is still good. You get shards for luminara. And shards for asajj. It's not terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

You know Barris rocks at? The heal on attack chance. That poo poo owns when it procs. That's not worth $50,but she still sits in a lot of my teams. And her heal going through heal immunity owns too.

• Locked thread