Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

heh, you think you can withstand the power of my solarbeam?
Been playing since last Friday, I've already added a bunch of you but anyone else feel free: 364-739-281, currently using Finn/Phasma as my leaders. Love the game but I can already see the pay wall ahead even in my late 30s, or maybe I am just too impatient. But will definitely keep playing in the short-term at least and hope the game gets a bit more user-friendly down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

After my 1* IG-86 out-damaging a lot of my 2*-4* guys I decided to treat myself and shelled out for the Droid bundle. Was able to get IG-88 and HK47 up to lvl 4 gear pretty quick and bump 86 up from 1* to 3* with the extra shards, and find them to be pretty fun to use. They don't seem to have lots of HP so I'll have to keep them with a healer/tank until I get Poggle etc., but the first Bronzium pack of the day was a shiny 4* Bariss :hellyeah: so I'm very happy with that. Also blew all of my crystals/credits leveling them all up and gearing them and Bariss but whatever, I may be able to finally get through GW

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Rubicon posted:

I am having some luck.

Got a 4 Star from a bronze pull.

Why is he classified as support, but the description says he's a tank? Makes no sense and another tank wouldn't hurt for the weekly challenges.

Think he'll replace the Resistance Trooper in my light side lineup.

I've got a 2 star/Gear 4/Hair Trigger lvl 3/Rebel Tactics lvl 2 Leia and am about to have the shards to get Farmhand Luke. Leia doesn't seem to do much damage and rarely procs her double/triple attack. Would it be a mistake to take her out of my lineup for Luke?

I pulled him from a Bronze today too, along with a duplicate JC I used to 3* him. That and the Bariss I got yesterday from Bronze were very nice, I wonder if they've bumped the % of these pulls? Even more reason not to spend crystals on packs!

If I'm not mistaken you can't farm Leia so yea definitely switch her for Luke

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Malgrin posted:

I just got the Ewok Elder, and I'm wondering if there's a reason more people don't use him. His kit is pretty good because his heal (although weaker than other characters' heals) removes ALL debuffs from your team. Additionally, he has the ability to revive other champs. I'm like level 44, so maybe that's the only reason he seems good, but, so far, I like him a lot.
Also, I don't have Lumi or Barris yet.

I think the game is new enough and has enough options that "unpopular" character archetypes haven't been fully explored yet. The vast majority would rather build a Jedi team or kick rear end with Sith or Boba Fett than mess around with an Ewok and so you don't see these other guys too much yet. That will change as the game goes on.

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

OxMan posted:

Usually IAP poo poo is what gets me to stop playing F2Ps, but with this it might just be the insanely tuned drop RNG. I'd rather everything cost more but at least id see a lil number go up somewhere rather than oh you need 5 of these, 30 fights later you have 2. I'm alright with huge grinds, but I'm starting to hate how much luck you need too. Think I'm outtie.

Here's my take on it:

Yes, farming gear past lvl 6 is a long boring process. They definitely need to add more Challenges to address this, and a simple color tweak to the 6 hour Shipments would do a lot, since you can buy Purple gear there but unless you know every gear name by heart you might miss them (I just buy them all anyway). That said, everyone deals with it. Only people who P2W will have an edge since they can afford an unlimited Crystal pool to keep refreshing energy. But how does this affect YOU? They will dominate top of Arena, okay fine. Top 20 will be out of reach. How important is that to you? Arena thankfully is only one part of the game. For me I'm more than happy placing 50-100 in Arena, grinding gear when I can, and enjoying the other parts of the game like GW, Challenges, and progressing the core game. So when I see I need 20 purples for one component of a craft for 1 gear of 6 on Sid, I'm okay not sweating it and leaving that slot open. Maybe I'll eventually get the gear through Challenges/Shipments missions, maybe I'll stall out long enough that drop% will get tweaked, etc. I'm not going to ruin my enjoyment of the game over something like that. But YMMV

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Malgrin posted:

Also, I'm currently around level 4 hard, do I want to try to push up to 5 hard dark side to start farming Barriss? I've been trying to balance hard mode shards and leveling gear to 5, advancing in dark side takes away from that, but Barriss has been pretty badass anytime i've borrowed her.

I lucked into my Barriss via Bronzium and can't imagine taking her out of my team any time soon, (mine might be one you're borrowing, wrathravenrulz in-game) but I don't know how realistic it is to try and farm her via hard mode. She requires 50 shards to unlock correct? At 3 tries a day, you'll be very lucky to have her unlocked by March. I'm in a bad scenario with her as well because I'd like to 5* her but right now it's just not feasible at the current Hard drop rate

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

planedriver posted:

How is Ima-Gun Di? I just opened a 4* in bronzium packs.

For reference I have:
4* Chewie
3* Talia / 3* Plo Koon
3* Poe
3* Jawa
2* JC

(I'll have Sidious in a few hours :aaa: )

How do All Jedi lineups do?

If/when they rotate GW/Arena shipments and some of the more offensive-minded Jedi are easier to get, AND Sid isn't as prevalent, I think Ima-led Jedi teams will pop up, right now though there's not enough good Jedi to take advantage of his Leader abilities, and without that he's a kinda-tanky, lackluster guy who's just there in parties.

rabid-squid posted:

In arena I am running Sid/Luke/JC/Poe/Biggs. I like Talia but she is so intensely stupid on defense. Ideally I'd like to replace Biggs with Resistance Trooper or Leia but I don't have either of them. I could actually replace Biggs with any character who grants a team up attack but he's the best one I have, any more easily farmable or better characters who do the same?

IG-86 is easy to get and hits like a truck, but is squishy and Jawas are starting to show up a lot more for some reason and nuke droids

oops wrong forum fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 5, 2016

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

rabidsquid posted:

Seriously someone suggest some stuff for my team. I want to try out weird poo poo instead of just stick with the meta. Except for dark side, I desperately need Old Daka.

I bought the Droid pack a couple weeks ago as a Christmas present to myself and the droids are fun to use together. 86, 88, and HK are all available in shipments, and I use them as my DPS team in GW with either Phasma Sid or Daka. They move quick and can drop a problem guy (sometimes 2 with crits) before retreating and letting my A-team come in and mop up.

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

rabidsquid posted:

I actually pulled an IG-86 from a bronzium pack the other day and thought a droid team looked pretty cool. I was actually thinking about trying to put together a Poggle the Lesser team. He's pretty expensive though so I was afraid of wasting the shipments on him.

Poggle is ideal for missions/GW but don't bother trying anything like that for Arena, you'll put a big bullseye on yourself. The good thing is Sid's Crit bonus is perfect for the Droids, as is Phasma's extra attacks (she stacks with 86's assist), so you can disguise your team if you DO want to use them in arena.

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

no top 10 today, got RNGed harrrrrrrd. My Sid's AOE whiffed on 4 out of 5 guys, Lumi's Block didn't land once against anyone, and got pummeled by a high-level Rey that basically had perma-Forsight/Offense Up that I now covet very badly. Still almost won but my lone beat up Sid couldn't evade for crap against a lousy Bariss. Oh well I was getting spoiled, top 20 is still good

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Davethulhu posted:

Do you high end guys still do the 5 hard mission daily activity? 60 energy seems like a lot when I need tons of purple materials.

It's worth it, you'll lose out on a lot of exp/crystals by not finishing the daily missions, and you can still get purple gear from hards, in fact some hard missions have more than 1 type of purple gear.

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Chilichimp posted:

There's a gear level VIII?

gently caress me, man...

Not everyone can hit it until the lvl cap goes up but yep! And you know IX will be here before the end of the year

On another note in a moment of weakness I bought a Chromium pack last night after dropping $20 for some crystals that would last me a couple weeks of energy refills. Got Snowtrooper shards. Figured I might as well try again since I have all of these crystals now and hey I might get something good! Clone Sergeant shards. Pissed off, I do a few missions, Challenges, etc. Use a Bronzium and get 700 credits. Quickly buy 2 more Chromium packs and get Royal Guard shards and IG-86 shards. Half my crystals gone on garbage. Learn from my mistakes people!

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Mooktastical posted:

I got lucky and got Kylo on the big pack 3 days ago, as a kind of counterpoint, but I still wouldn't recommend buying packs over crystals, or basically anything. The random generation will gently caress you every single time. You basically have to only get already farmable hero's shards to make it worthwhile, lest you end up with an unusable garbage character or one stuck at the star ranking you got them at.

Crystals are expensive enough and the refills small enough that you hit the point of diminishing returns very quickly, so much so that you always quickly end up out of crystals, even if you only spend up until the 200 crystal refills, then stop. Thus, the best way to spend money is to buy the largest personally economical pack, then spend crystals out of it while not getting hit with the diminishing returns too much.

Yup and I know all of this, I refill cantina once a day, energy until 200 and stop, and usually make more than half of that back from Arena/dailies each day. But I had that ITCH man, those packs were callin' me! :negative:

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

LMAO, when are we getting Jedi Luke? I played Hard 5-B Dark Side so I could get to C and start farming Bariss, my team of leader 4* Phasma gear VII, 5* Sid gear VII, 4* IG-88 gear VI, 4* IG-86 gear VI, 4* Daka gear VI, lvls 56, 56, 50, 50, 52, and a borrowed 4*FOTP gear VI, breezed through until they got to solo Jedi Luke. He slaughtered my entire team with his Crit Up Attack Up Evasion BS, attacking multiple times and one-shotting most of my team. No idea how to take this guy down. Daka stunned him before she got one-shotted but it didn't matter since his meter immediately refilled.

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Mile'ionaha posted:

Huh, I facerolled him no problem. I don't think he got to go more than once.

What team/lvl did you use when you beat him? I mean it was face-smashing like I really wasn't expecting

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Zotix posted:

The rate at which they are putting out updates for this game is attrocious. I don't know how many of you play or have played other mobile games, but this is just not up to par imo. This is one of the biggest IP's with one of the biggest publishers behind it, and we haven't had a real content update since full launch, just new characters. Other games just smash out content updates like crazy, and this game just has poo poo to show for all the money they are bringing in. 7K had a full Christmas event that went on with loads of challenges and events. Now they have a New Year's event, and this game is like here have 10 Rey shards, "lolfukupayme".

I don't know anything about CG, but from what's gone on so far I have this feeling that this game might have been too big for their britches. EA is a big company but CG does the heavy-lifting, and the huge popularity of this game from the movie release might be hamstringing them. Just a guess.

The Rey shards thing was pretty insulting though, they'd have been better off not doing anything. "Thank you for participating here's 1/8th of a character that's very hard to farm" :hellyeah:

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Chilichimp posted:

I wish I'd decided to be a disgusting whale before all of the bundles were gone.

This is one of those things I just do not get at all from a monetary perspective, WHY WOULD YOU HAVE TIMERS ON MORE WAYS FOR ME TO GIVE YOU MY MONEY. I've never seen high-dollar options like that be taken away in a game, and not replaced with anything.

Mile'ionaha posted:

Level 51. Blue Gear.

Derp.

Phasma, Sid, Talia, OLD DAKA STUNLOCK, IG-86.

Very similar to what I ran but I couldn't stun-lock Luke for poo poo, as his Meter would refill after one or two hits. I've died badly twice but I will keep trying! The Dooku suggestion last page makes a lot of sense but alas I started playing after his sale was over

oops wrong forum fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 11, 2016

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Zotix posted:

Check out this horseshit that I face like in 90% of my galactic wars now. You can easily replace the resistance pilot for FOTP.

7* Cad Bane, is this a computer-generated team? Who in their right mind would do that

Chilichimp posted:

You're going to be dicking around in the 100-200 range until you start spending crystals on arena refreshes, sadly.

With just 5 fights/day you're going to lose all of your progress overnight.

Depends on the server, I never spend on arena refreshes, my team is mediocre/bad (about 17K, 5*Sid, 5*Lumi, 5*JC, 4*Bariss, 4*CHEWIEEEEEE), but I can still snipe top 10 every day because my server all came up at the same time and despite not having a great Arena team it's okay enough to down sub-19K teams because AI is bad. Server trumps everything unfortunately

oops wrong forum fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 11, 2016

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Official forums are 95% utter trash, but I found this to be a great read for PVP strats in competitive servers: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/5464/the-journey-beyond-poe-the-demise-of-fotp-ludicrous-speed-activated

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Zotix posted:

All you need to beat PoE and FOTP is use other premium characters! We did it guys!

They go over a F2P list a few posts down. Not as great but that was assumed. Only problem with that roster is several of them are GW guys (Poggle, IG-86) so would take a while to pick up if you're getting Phasma and Lumi.

edit: wrong shard group

oops wrong forum fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 12, 2016

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Malgrin posted:

At some point, I want to star up Daka and Ewok Elder, and throw them both in Arena for my last match so that people have to deal with double revives, but it's a super long term plan. Getting Poe to 7 first, and Ewok hard shards are lower priority than others.

Stall team always sounds fun, throw in HK, Boba and Bariss/Lumi. Problem is winning a match in the first place!

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Palleon posted:

I just started playing this game yesterday, if anyone wants to add me as a friend, 363-514-181.

I was kind of confused a bit by the stars and gears aspect of the game, but I think I'm starting to figure things out. I played Force Collection obsessively for about a year, haven't touched anything in almost 6 months, and I think that this might be my new unhealthy time waster for a while. Do crystals or card pulls end up being given out for events fairly often as it was in Force Collection, or are you pretty much stuck pulling the bronze ones unless you pay money?

Edit: I'm also having a really hard time reconciling that a Jawa is the strongest attacker in my deck.

You get about 50 crystals a day if you complete all of the Daily tasks, and more for placing in Arena and completing Galactic Wars. Chromiums are never given out free. It's not worth using your crystals on packs, you're better off just using them to refresh Energy. I'd say decide early if you really like this game and want to invest any $$$, because the bundles and deals you get at the start go away eventually and don't come back, and in the long run are better deals than buying Chromium packs.

According to CG there is absolutely nothing wrong with proc rates on defense, they went and checked the code. We must all be crazy

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Zotix posted:

I'm wondering if the 50 crystal shipment refresh is worth it for equipment. Compared to blowing those crystals on energy for running missions. 50 crystals for the potential of a ton of pieces for different equipment over time might be the better spend.

I think it'd be same as blowing crystals on packs, you have no idea what you're going to get and would take forever to get things you wanted. Plus farming gives you the little extras like ally points, training droids, credits etc.

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Zotix posted:

I've actually done it now that my stuff reset. Long term I think it's a WAY better method of getting end-game mats. I know for 100 crystals I got 9+ end game materials. That's way better than farming at 1 per 40 energy. Sure you can't control what you are going to get, but over the course of a week you'll see it start to pay off better I think.

When you're at lvl cap losing the exp doesn't hurt, but when the cap goes up will you still do it? Hopefully we will get more challenges with the update to help, only time will tell I guess

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Pimpmust posted:

The "send the B/C team in to trigger enemy specials/taunts" doesn't always work, I've found if the team is considered too weak by the AI it will not always use specials, and sometime just go to town with basics - and if they are strong enough (As they will be at lvl 50+) they can mop up your team without you causing any/little damage - or in Sids case, actually heal up as the chaff is killed off.

So it's not a 100% thing.

Very true, your fodder team SHOULD have 1 or 2 guys leveled enough to take a few shots or you'll just get basic'd down. I like that the AI is smart enough to realize sending in your green lvl 25 Ewok and 26 Royal Guard is not going to scratch the lvl 60 purple 55+ team and not to waste Demoralizing Blows one-shotting them.

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

To all you Vader owners, what are you pairing him with for maximum effect? Finally unlocked him and had enough gear around to gear VI him right away and level him. I know he's not Arena-worthy since he's *capped but I'd like to fit him into a solid GW B-team. I figure Sid is an obvious combo for Culling Blade what who else, IG-88?

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

FYI cap increase is supposed to go through tomorrow afternoon, so maybe sit on your energy and dailies until then if you're at 60.

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Hughlander posted:

Got a source for that?

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/5949/the-level-70-cap-increase-is-coming

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Malgrin posted:

Ugh, this game is the worst sometimes. I'm starting my arena run (resets in an hour), there appears to have been a recent power spike in the top 50 (for the first time in a week, I was bumped below rank 50 - I finished rank 7 23 hours ago). Anyways, I'm one laptop away from getting Luke to G VII, and one shard away from getting JC to 5 stars...and it already costs 200 crystals for more energy. Everyone around me is in the 16-18k power range, which is where I'm at, but, I've been having a hard time clearing with my crew lately (Sid, Luke, Lumi, JC, R. Pilot). The power spike from one laptop and one shard would make such a big difference right now...

e: also, Lumi is 7 shards from 6*

How many more crystals do you think you could win if you had those pieces? Subtract that from the 200 you'd spend for energy.

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Malgrin posted:

Oh, totally, I've been sinking 300 crystals into Squad Cantina, and 300 into missions daily from some crystals I bought just so that I can progress faster...the extra 200/400 JUST for the arena bonus isn't worth it...just super frustrating to be that close. Also, the last energy refill I did, I got one laptop from....

e: In addition to spending crystals on energy, I would probably also need to spend crystals on arena attempts to break into the ranks where crystals go up fast...so...not really worth it today. Tomorrow could be a very good day for me for arena though.

Good for you, this game is designed to leech the impatient! There's always tomorrow is something I tell myself constantly.....

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Ularg posted:

God damnit I'm too dumb for videogames. Take all electronics away from me.

Na it's a bad interface design, I did the same thing until a week ago wondering why we needed lvl 3 Ability mats when they were never used. Should all be in the same box nice and neat

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Zotix posted:

I really hope this update tomorrow isn't half-assed. So many things need to scale along with the levels. Money income, training Droid drops, ability mats scarcity, etc.

I'd be very surprised if that comes out tomorrow. I think tomorrow is just the lvl cap, and the meat and potatoes are coming later in month

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Anyone played GW since the update? Twice now I've retreated only to have the previous round not happen, as if I had force-closed. Both times it happened after I had already retreated once (my fodder team going in to die worked fine).

edit: looks like it's a thing. I hate HATE when companies make undocumented changes, I wouldn't hate it that much even though GW is kinda busted as-is, but at least let us know!

oops wrong forum fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 14, 2016

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Mooktastical posted:

Just came here to post that. I was definitely able to retreat and have it save in an earlier battle, though. Dafuq?

I was already on the harder stages before I saw this so I couldn't really test it, only thing I noticed is I was able to retreat my fodder team as usual (mostly dead but still 1 or 2 alive), but when I tried to retreat my B-team after picking off a few guys the match completely reset (my guys were uninjured, opposing team was uninjured as well). By this limited testing I guess you can do it once? Not much info on the official forums yet. But again, HATE undocumented changes

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Mooktastical posted:

I think they just make it so you can only "Save" via retreat 1 or 2 times per fight. Still, it's complete bullshit.

it just seems very arbitrary. Why one time? Why not 3? Why not zero? Why not TELL US

Also frustrated at blowing 70 Cantina energy and no Luke Shards booo

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

rabidsquid posted:

Should I buy able to buy some character bundles from the shop because I haven't seen anything for sale there in weeks

Nope they give you nothing after the initial wave of bundles. Sucks I know, because some people need more than a week to know if the want to invest in a game, but alas

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Yea that explanation is pretty lame. That guy is being a turd in that thread as well, though can't say I blame him as the forum is a cesspool

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

The main thing IMO is you can't make a huge change like that without compensating in other ways. The guy admits they know there is an issue with GW scaling, so why not save this "fix" until you have that figured out as well? Unless the real goal is to make GW not finishable 100% of the time for a big chunk of users (which I think might be the truth)

There is a TON of backlash on this though so I wouldn't be surprised if they reverse the change.

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Malgrin posted:

The #1 on our server now has a 7* Leia. This used to be such a soft server, who let the whales in?

Occasionally they spring out of nowhere. I just killed one on my best run ever. Surprisingly I maintained rank over night and started my climb from #13 today, we have very few whales but I managed to knock down one from #5 with his *6 Qui-gon, Leia, Obi-Wan, Kylo, Lumi team, then just :hellyeah: #1 with :02 left in the match. Guy was 24K to my 19K with his 7* Bariss leading, FOTP, JC, Lumi and Jedi Guardian (?). My team stinks as I have said before, 5* Phasma, 5* Lumi 5* Sid 5* JC and 4* Bariss, wasn't able to take out his FOTP before he offed my Sid, but Lumi is OP and her Ability Block does way too much damage, I won mostly on that alone since I had no Sid for decent damage, and his team is obviously built to stall out and let FOTP do the work. Without him he couldn't hit hard enough to knock out anyone with all the heal I have. First #1, I'm sure I'll get pecked down fast since my team is bad on D but I got the rewards baby!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Davethulhu posted:

So here I did a full GW on the "new patch" I lost 1 toon, Daka, in the final battle only because I chose to Ice Sid with Lum instead of heal and she was killed immediately after by Vadars culling blade, then his basic when she revived,lol. I marched through 9 strait 6-7* purple 60's, just as I typically do every GW. The difference was instead of having fun doing it, but doing attack in waves and strike teams with the collection I had. It was a simple make a team to beat the AI and go. Basically arena that you see the whole team first on, boring.

To all you whales and spenders.(I consider myself no whale but moderate spending at over $1,500) Who the bloody heck cares if F2P and such had a crutch in retreat? It was part of the game and they used it to better themselves. The extra tokens they get to help get some shards is not really a big deal, nor is the whopping 1 random shard as reward on completion. Now if the prize was 1--12 random shards plus the 400 tokens to get 5 more the mats ect, sure maybe gripe, but come on the prize is nothing big and we all only get 1 go a day so why take away something, that even with using it, many still failed to complete? It just is not cool.

I don't think whales were the ones complaining, at least not from what I see on the forums. A big chunk were just babies who wanted to play "pure" and belittled anyone who played differently than they did and made a LOT of noise. Joke's on them because CG just validated force-closing by making it the norm. The other bunch, from what I've read so far, are just saying to try the new format before crying murder, which I actually agree with because I think people's completion rates won't be as bad as everyone is predicting (lots of people finished GW before the update even took place so have no real experience with it). But I think it's really bad form to do it unannounced, and not to address some of the matchmaking issues with GW before doing this.

• Locked thread