Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which card are you most excited for?
This poll is closed.
UFC Fight Night 24 52.17%
TUF Finale 22 47.83%
Total: 46 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

a tough moment for conor here, on the eve of his biggest fight he has to come up with a new schtick having already exhausted "he's short" on mendes

I suppose the easiest avenue for McGregor would be to bring up Edgar's PPV buyrates after BJ Penn and just talk about how nobody cares about Edgar no matter how many bums he beats up, nobody wants to buy your fights they're buying it for me!

But I don't think McGregor would be too disrespectful toward Edgar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Per Dana, no live walkout songs tomorrow :smith:

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

1st AD posted:

Per Dana, no live walkout songs tomorrow :smith:

We'll never get Aldo walking out to Rhianna performing now. :(

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Bubba Smith posted:

i've been wondering about this. he has never said anything too inflammatory towards edgar precisely because of what edgar just did and what he has already done. edgar has every capacity to humiliate conor if it comes down to it.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Bubba Smith posted:

I suppose the easiest avenue for McGregor would be to bring up Edgar's PPV buyrates after BJ Penn and just talk about how nobody cares about Edgar no matter how many bums he beats up, nobody wants to buy your fights they're buying it for me!

I was wondering about this since Conor has that promo video where he talks poo poo about everyone in the division but when he gets to Frankie all he can say is that it's hard to root against a guy who fights with his heart but he'll take him out if necessary.

efb

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Marching Powder posted:

i've been wondering about this. he has never said anything too inflammatory towards edgar precisely because of what edgar just did and what he has already done. edgar has every capacity to humiliate conor if it comes down to it.

Yep. McGregor hasn't trashed Edgar's abilities in the past, he certainly can't trash Edgar finishing Mendes quicker than he did, and if Conor's big ambition is to go up to 155 and take that belt then Edgar already beat him to that goal. Then adding in the fact that Edgar is a very serious threat to him I just don't see McGregor trashing Edgar much at all except for on superficial poo poo like McGregor earning more money in the last 2 years than Edgar has ever seen in his life.

However if McGregor were to get through Edgar and his next opponent would be the Max Holloway rematch? He'd be back to poo poo talking like never before.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
There's probably not a fighter in the UFC at any weight class below middleweight Edgar couldn't make look stupid at least once.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Snowman_McK posted:

There's probably not a fighter in the UFC at any weight class below middleweight Edgar couldn't make look stupid at least once.

Let's not get carried away now.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

cravius posted:

considering bendo is in the process of humiliating elements of the welterweight division it's not like it's completely out of the question

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

cravius posted:

yeah. I love frankie edgar but he would be at such a size disadvantage against Neil Magny it would be loving ridiculous. Even a lanky dude like Tim Means would dirty bird the poo poo out of a guy who is about half a foot shorter than him. Just because Benson Henderson is able to scale up to welterweight with some success doesn't mean Edgar could.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

considering frankie is absolutely supposed to be a bantamweight the fact that you can even make that claim is incredible. could you imagine robbie lawler moving up to light heavyweight and getting robbed twice by jon jones? frankie is probably the best fighter doing it currently, p4p.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Bubba Smith posted:

doesn't mean Edgar could.

i pretty much disagree, to some extent. frankie was the absolute king 2 divisions above his proper weight. why is it impossible he couldn't be extrmely competitive 3 divisions above?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I wouldn't fancy Edgar's odds at WW but on the other hand, the guy is obnoxiously good. I'd fear for his life against the likes of Robbie Lawler though.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Marching Powder posted:

i pretty much disagree, to some extent. frankie was the absolute king 2 divisions above his proper weight. why is it impossible he couldn't be extrmely competitive 3 divisions above?

because dudes like Demian Maia and Dong Kim and such cut a fair bit of weight while Edgar walks around at like 160 on a bad diet day. At some point man weight and height advantages become a bit too much to overcome.

I'm not saying Edgar would get blown out at welterweight but I would not pick him against an intelligent fighter like Rory MacDonald who would tower over him.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Bubba Smith posted:

yeah. I love frankie edgar but he would be at such a size disadvantage against Neil Magny it would be loving ridiculous. Even a lanky dude like Tim Means would dirty bird the poo poo out of a guy who is about half a foot shorter than him. Just because Benson Henderson is able to scale up to welterweight with some success doesn't mean Edgar could.

Tim Means is a terrible example, he used to be a mediocre lightweight. In fact, he was fighting at 155 when Frankie still was. Frankie would have kicked Means' rear end back then, and he would probably still beat him now. I'd give Frankie a decent shot against everyone outside the top 5 of welterweight. Like he could totally beat Maia or Stun Gun.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Bubba Smith posted:

because dudes like Demian Maia and Dong Kim and such cut a fair bit of weight while Edgar walks around at like 160 on a bad diet day. At some point man weight and height advantages become a bit too much to overcome.

I'm not saying Edgar would get blown out at welterweight but I would not pick him against an intelligent fighter like Rory MacDonald who would tower over him.

i agree, again, to some extent. but he has proven himself to be a fighter where normal rules seem to not apply. the guy is an absolute weapon, and saying he could out-point anyone at welterweight is not a completely retarded statement.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bubba Smith posted:

Oh, he'd lose, but he'd make Magny look like an amateur at some point.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

to this argument i submit an obese bj penn fighting loving lyoto machida

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard
machida was pretty fat too tbf

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Lloyd Boner posted:

Frankie would have kicked Means' rear end back then, and he would probably still beat him now.

I do agree with the first part but the important distinction is Means could have been killing himself making 155 while for Edgar 155 was the easiest weight cut in the world. Tim Means with an extra 15+ pounds benefits him much more than Edgar who would likely just slow down with 15 pounds of unnecessary muscle on his body. Or he would come in severely underweight at like 161.

Marching Powder had the better point that Edgar is a bantamweight and the fact that it's reasonable for him to compete at 170 is impressive all on its own. But I will completely disagree that Frankie Edgar would beat Demian Maia.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Bubba Smith posted:

"Frankie's a weaker version of Chad."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvdbYFEes_g

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I remember often reading, and probably believing, that Frankie wouldnt have the same speed advantage at feather and would have a lot of trouble there

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

david carmichael posted:

I remember often reading, and probably believing, that Frankie wouldnt have the same speed advantage at feather and would have a lot of trouble there

It was true against Aldo and no one else.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

any gifs of the knockout?

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

The octagon interview on YouTube shows the knockout replay a couple times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

• Locked thread