Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will champs be come Sunday morning?
This poll is closed.
Weidman/Aldo 79 53.02%
Weidman/McGregor 38 25.50%
Rockhold/Aldo 20 13.42%
Rockhold/McGregor 12 8.05%
Total: 149 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Looking for the GDT for the two other cool cards this weekend? Check it out here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WZ33w3B8Hw

Welcome to the GDT for UFC 194: Weidman vs. Rockhold Aldo vs. McGregor, 10 p.m. ET Saturday, Dec. 12, only on pay-per-view! Since this is a PPV, if you post streams you’ll be sent to Mugatu’s very exclusive daiye spa.

Do you want to see the real world of ultimate fighting, the one they don’t show you in Zuffa-owned trade magazines or the Fox Sports 1 channel? Well you’ve come to the right place. When I focus on what should be this card’s true main event, I wonder if there’s more to fighting than being really, really, really, ridiculously good looking. One day I plan on figuring out what it is. But until then, get Najib Razak to safety because we’re going in hard!

:siren: FOR THE FLYWEIGHT TITLE :siren:

José Aldo (c)

vs.

Conor McGregor (ic)

Don’t let his scarred face and seemingly quiet demeanor fool you. There’s a reason José Aldo da Silva Oliveira Junior is the UFC’s only featherweight champ — he is obnoxiously good. He’s lost one fight in 2005. His leg kicks could demolish a building so efficiently conspiracy theorists would argue on the internet about how it was an inside job. He also cheats when fighting Chad Mendes, and also spills pee and has testers deported from Brazil by police officers who are also his fans and best friends. If he has one actual weakness, it’s gas — a flaw that coupled with an alleged illness saw a dominating late round by Mark Hominick of all people. He also fights to the level of his opponent’s ability to stop him, which means occasionally skating by in uninteresting fights against people like Kenny Florian or having all-out wars against Chad Mendes the second time out. This fight should be fireworks, don’t mention it.

Conor McGregor may literally be Mugatu. Emerging from a cloud shrouded in mystery and failure, McGregor exploded onto the MMA scene and never looked back. Now completely transformed with crazy hair and a loud sense of fashion, he also enjoys playing mind games to further his career. Though his brash antics and (at first) seemingly unwarranted backing by the UFC brass caused him to chafe a lot of goons and other MMA fans, Conor has gone on to establish he really has elite-level striking throughout his UFC run, and established he even had good ground game in the Mendes fight. This fight’s been a long time coming after Aldo’s rib injury forced Mendes in on short notice, but perhaps this worked out even better in the UFC’s financial interest as the fight is now a “champion vs. champion bout.” They even got to reuse the same million-dollar commercial with a belt superimposed over McGregor’s shoulder. Conor has a reach advantage that Aldo’s never dealt with and an insane chin, but he also gets hit a good deal and leaves his lead leg forward and flat, which isn’t a great tactical choice against Aldo. It’s a compelling matchup.

:siren: For the Middleweight Championship :siren:

Chris Weidman (C)

vs.

Luke Rockhold

Chris Weidman truly is an American hero. He is living proof that a Joe Schmoe who gets his dick caught in his zipper just like me can go on to defeat the greatest of all time by figuring out how to punch twice with the same hand. He is truly the best champion. He can punch a hole through your fuckin’ chest, he can choke you out almost effortlessly, he can take you down at will. While cardio’s been a slight problem for him in the past, he appears to have slimmed down and managed his weight better in response to the IV ban, so that may be less of an issue. What’s even scarier is he has a great gameplanning team and he is ruthlessly able to execute said plans to a T. And he’s so dreamy :allears:

Rockhold. He’s so hot right now. Rockhold. This is the sexiest title fight of all time, bar none. The former Strikeforce champ may not be as technically gifted at most areas of MMA as Weidman, but he’s incredibly crafty, great at catching creative submissions and all around an athletic freak. When he’s not surfing and making bongs in pottery class, he’s making the ladies swoon on Millionaire Matchmaker and pissing off Michael Bisping. For that he has my adoration.

Middleweight

Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza

vs.

Yoel Romero

Jacare was supposed to rumble with ol’ “No For Gay Jesus” way back at UFC 184 before Jacare got pneumonia, then again at UFC on Fox 15 before Romero got hurt. Ultimately this allowed Jacare to play against his time trial data instead. Jacare lost his Strikeforce belt to Rockhold after defending it against Tim Kennedy and Robbie Lawler :lol: He’s an exceptional submission fighter with multiple ADCC and World Jiu-Jitsu golds, but he’s developed his striking just enough to be non-awful and even earn a KO over late-career Yushin Okami (Thank You).

While we were all bummed out the Romero fight didn’t happen at the time, it’s probably a cooler moment in their careers for them to meet. This fight will most likely determine who gets the next crack at the winner of the Handsome Competition above them on the card. Romero is an old and tired decorated veteran of wrestling with a left hand that’s made him famous. While the geriatric Olympian’s lone MMA loss to Rafael Cavalcante looks worse and worse with each of Feijão’s UFC losses, Romero’s career looks to have been in the opposite trajectory, culminating in a hilarious and cheating-filled bout with Tim Kennedy and a massive KO win over Lyoto Machida. This fight should be :krad:

Welterweight

Demian Maia

vs.

Gunnar Nelson

It wasn’t until this very moment that I realized how grapply this main event should be. Demian Maia has been heralded by many including fellow BJJ black belt Frank Mir as the best grappler in all of MMA. All of his fights are either extremely cool or the absolute worst, with no in-between. Case in point: he squeezed Rick Story’s head so hard I think he had an aneurysm, and yet A. Silva vs. Maia was one of the first fights I ever saw and it made me a lifelong Anderson Hater™.

Hopefully Gunnar Nelson should prevent this from being outrageously lovely. This ice-cold Icelander is so European, he has a beer garden in his gym, which is in an abandoned bowling alley. He also has a number of medals in reputable Jiu-Jitsu competition, and splits his time between his homeland and SBG, training with the likes of Conor McGregor. His lone loss in MMA is to Rick Story, which he credits as a turning point in his career that made him develop his striking. Apparently this actually worked, as his next outing ended in the much bigger and stronger Brandon Thatch getting his poo poo pushed in on the feet before the ever-classic rocked RNC finish.

Featherweight

Max Holloway

vs.

Jeremy Stephens

Maxie Holloway is the only guy in McGregor’s UFC career to date who’s managed to survive to a decision. At the time we all assumed Holloway sucks and the real reason was McGregor’s leg fell off, but since then Holloway’s established he’s a legitimate top featherweight. McGregor was his last loss, and he’s since cleared out an increasingly impressive roster of fighters, culminating in an ever-exciting TKO (neck injury) over Charles Oliveira that was the perfect end to a card so excellent and memorable that Patrick Cote vs. Josh Burkman won fight of the night.

Much like Billy Zane’s character in the smash 1997 blockbuster Titanic, Jeremy Stephens is a violent and contemptible piece of poo poo.

OTHER poo poo TO WATCH
Fox Sports 1 prelims, 8 p.m. ET
Bantamweight Urijah Faber vs. Frankie Saenz
Women's Strawweight Tecia Torres vs. Jocelyn Jones-Lybarger
Welterweight Warlley Alves vs. Colby Covington
Lightweight Leonardo Santos vs. Kevin Lee

UFC Fight Pass Prelims, 7 p.m. ET
Lightweight Joe Proctor vs. Magomed Mustafaev
Lightweight John Makdessi vs. Yancy Medeiros
Welterweight Court McGee vs. Márcio Alexandre Jr.

Official weigh-ins, 6 p.m. ET Friday
http://www.ufc.com/media/ufc-194-official-weigh-in

Official MMA Snack Rating: ORANGE MOCHA FRAPPUCCINO!!!

Ingredients:
1 cup milk, chocolate
1 cup orange juice
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brewed coffee, espresso roast, cold
2 tablespoons brown sugar
3/4 cup whole milk, or any milk of your preference
2 tablespoons chocolate syrup, or mocha syrup
whipped cream
orange zest

Divide the chocolate milk into the cube molds of an ice cube tray. Place in the freezer and freeze until frozen, about 4 hours.

Once the chocolate milk is completely frozen, then prepare your orange juice simple syrup. Combine the orange juice and the granulated sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, allowing the sugar to dissolve, and lower the heat to a simmer. Cook for 5-10 minutes or until the syrup has reduced by half. Remove from heat to let cool slightly.

Combine the chocolate milk ice cubes, 1/4 cup of the orange juice simple syrup (reserve the rest for another day), coffee, brown sugar, milk and mocha syrup in a blender. Blend on high for 30 seconds or until all of the cubes are crushed up. Divide the mixture between two glasses and top with whipped cream and orange zest. Serve immediately and enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

:golfclap:

The Conor photoshop is excellent

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
All of these fights own and I'm more excited for this than I've been about anything in life for a long time

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I'm pretty sure I have a one month probation bet with someone on the co-main. I want to say it's with kensei, but I forget.

Rockhold gonna TKO Weidman in the second.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

All of these fights own and I'm more excited for this than I've been about anything in life for a long time

I have a 60 hour work week this week and next week in the lab and the hype for Saturday night as well as watching the other two cards all day Saturday is keeping me going.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
this card is so loving good

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

-Atom- posted:

I'm pretty sure I have a one month probation bet with someone on the co-main. I want to say it's with kensei, but I forget.

Rockhold gonna TKO Weidman in the second.

Fun fact - Atom has now spent a total of seven weeks on probation exclusively because of Toxx bets against Weidman.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Dis gonna be good. I dont even know how my rl is gonna handle 3 nights of fights.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

fatherdog posted:

Fun fact - Atom has now spent a total of seven weeks on probation exclusively because of Toxx bets against Weidman.

I still have Jacare in my back pocket if this goes tits up.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

fatherdog posted:

That fact is fun.

I'll just keep on trying to reconcile myself to the fact that someone who looks like Max Holloway is a really good fighter.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
After reading the awesome OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pusZXECS0mM

This fight weekend is going to be awesome!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
As a northern CA dude who smoked weed a lot I am obligated to say Go Rockhold

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

This card is hype as gently caress and I'm excited like a little schoolgirl to see it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:woop:

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I cannot wait for this card.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

maffew buildings posted:

As a northern CA dude who smoked weed a lot I am obligated to say Go Rockhold

His pottery bong was amazing

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
The embeddeds really railed home what I already knew - that Weidman is a religious jock bro that would've bullied me in high school if not also today, and that Rockhold is a chill surfer artist dude that I'd have liked to smoke a bowl with then, if not also today. I can't not root for Luke at this point.

Also reminder that Weidman has publicly endorsed Trump making him a literal nazi

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
isn't like 30% of america nazis? i'm not getting too hung up on that at this point

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die
Its buried in the fight pass portion of the third card of the weekend, but boy does Makdessi/Medeiros have some serious potential for fireworks!

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

fatherdog posted:

lmao

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
If you are choosing which one between Weidman and Rockhold to cheer for based on which one you fantasize about bullying/not bullying you in high school, they both would have bullied you

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Not many people picked Mcgregor which is kinda surprising. Well I picked Aldo too but I guess the hype hasn't reached this part of the internet.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hello my fellow McGregor/Weidman selectors

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

EmmyOk posted:

:respek:

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

EmmyOk posted:

Sup

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

greetings

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

I hope conor wins so I can find out how a dude who just beat aldo is actually bad

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Aldo and McGregor both look like that weight cut is weighing heavy on 'em right now.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Aldo is going to win but they'll find he used an IV and he'll get suspended/stripped.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Le Saboteur posted:

Aldo and McGregor both look like that weight cut is weighing heavy on 'em right now.

Conor looks a lot better then he did before 189

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Dangersim posted:

Conor looks a lot better then he did before 189

Yeah he's still got another day and a half to go, I'm sure he'll be looking his usual emaciated crazy self soon.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
i have no informed opinion on who will win but i want aldo and rockhold to win because i hate all the things you like

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Conor's promos when he's starving himself are odd.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Im picking rockhold/mcgredor because I like being a outlier.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

I have my thoughts and hunches but to be totally honest I have no loving idea what's going to happen in any of these fights

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Dangersim posted:

I have my thoughts and hunches but to be totally honest I have no loving idea what's going to happen in any of these fights

i think holloway will beat stephens and i think maia will fitch nelson

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Chael Sonnen spotted

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

david carmichael posted:

i have no informed opinion on who will win but i want aldo and rockhold to win because i hate all the things you like

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Dangersim posted:

I hope conor wins so I can find out how a dude who just beat aldo is actually bad

If conor wins it might be the first time ever in MMA history that people cant say that the other guy was bad all along.. I dont think anyone can fairly say that about Aldo

It would be historic, the first time someone who wasnt bad all along lost a fight, to someone who is all hype and sucks no less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Ariel Helwani by far has the worst loving questions.

• Locked thread