Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will champs be come Sunday morning?
This poll is closed.
Weidman/Aldo 79 53.02%
Weidman/McGregor 38 25.50%
Rockhold/Aldo 20 13.42%
Rockhold/McGregor 12 8.05%
Total: 149 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That's exactly what people were saying before he knocked out chad$

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm starting to think (hope?) that Aldo-McGregor will end up being like Lawler-MacDonald, in that both fighters end up going well beyond the threshold of what we thought previously possible for them, and that whoever wins, both will seem like better fighters the next day.

I ended up picking Aldo. Dunno.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Mr. Nice! posted:

willie_dee posted:

I still stand by the logic, I just didn't realise Mendes was out of shape when I was assured Team Alpha Male were fit all year round, also because of their sexy short men topless show off selves required them to be fit.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i havent been this excited about a fight since anderson/chael

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

EmmyOk posted:

http://i.imgur.com/RxXKUhB.webm

Conor and Aldo nodding in respect at the conference, has me even more hyped than the trash talk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUFIJVbo6MQ

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.

Why doesn't Andrei come out to Icepick anymore? I feel that if I were a fighter and a band made a song about me, I'd walk out to it forever.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Foul Fowl posted:

same

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

El Roncho posted:

Why doesn't Andrei come out to Icepick anymore? I feel that if I were a fighter and a band made a song about me, I'd walk out to it forever.

Because it's 2015 and they're Icepick.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Foul Fowl posted:

I'll second this. I only started getting into MMA around 2011, and was more of a casual fan anyway. Anderson/Chael II and the hype surrounding it is what got me hooked on the sport.

I almost wish these two title fights weren't on the same card though. Because I'm loving excited for any Chris Weidman fight and I feel like I'm overlooking Aldo/McGregor a little bit, which is insane because it's one of the biggest fights ever.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Foul Fowl posted:

weidman vs. machida left me pretty hyped

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Ty1990 posted:

I'll second this. I only started getting into MMA around 2011, and was more of a casual fan anyway. Anderson/Chael II and the hype surrounding it is what got me hooked on the sport.

I almost wish these two title fights weren't on the same card though. Because I'm loving excited for any Chris Weidman fight and I feel like I'm overlooking Aldo/McGregor a little bit, which is insane because it's one of the biggest fights ever.

I can close my eyes at any given moment in my life and perfectly visualize the look on Sonnen's face when he got backed into the cage on his rear end and saw that knee coming for him.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I know that Bobby Sands is a national icon but I still feel like Conor and Paddy Holohan take their homage to him a little far.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

colonel_korn posted:

I know that Bobby Sands is a national icon but I still feel like Conor and Paddy Holohan take their homage to him a little far.

Let's hope they stop before the pooping!

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

EmmyOk posted:

Let's hope they stop before the pooping!

I thought you wanted Conor to be champion?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Nice! posted:

you don't know what knocked out means

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Skip My Posts posted:

you don't know what knocked out means

Neither does Conor.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Conor knocked out chad mendes. I thought

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

manyak posted:

Conor knocked out chad mendes. I thought

He TKO'd Chad, he didn't "knock him stiff" as Conor likes to put it.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Le Saboteur posted:

Neither does Conor.

his chin is insanely sick

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

willie_dee posted:

Conor aint bein so fuckin brash now is it fuckin oval office scared now al my money i lost on mednes is going on Aldo win it back like innit and i dont even lik brazil

I too chase my losses with an emotional appeal.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Jst0rm posted:

I too chase my losses with an emotional appeal.

might as well. careful thought and consideration towards factors that can happen within the fight can mean gently caress all anyway

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Is Conor more predictable than people say? Was just thinking that the majority of his TKOs come once he's pushed his opponent into the cage Siver, Mendes, Brandao all ended this way. If Jose can neutralize that that seems like a huge advantage for him.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Le Saboteur posted:

Is Conor more predictable than people say? Was just thinking that the majority of his TKOs come once he's pushed his opponent into the cage Siver, Mendes, Brandao all ended this way. If Jose can neutralize that that seems like a huge advantage for him.

Every fighter has habits and preferences. What matters is how a fighter deals with being denied their A game. Can they find new ways to set up their best techniques? Can they still do well without their A game? Can they make small adjustments that let them get right back to what they want to do?

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Maia vs Nelson could be a really good fight

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

manyak posted:

It could also be a really bad one, such is the nature of Maia

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Bluedeanie posted:

It could also be a really bad one, such is the nature of Maia

Exactly, thats the only reason i put "could", my first instinct was "wow thats a really good fight" then i remembered more about maia

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

manyak posted:

my idiot mind just had a flash of Maia grappling with Big Country

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I've worked out my two dream outcomes for Aldo McGregor. Either McGregor's knee goes in the first 15 seconds, or Aldo coasts to an easy decision like he did against Lamas or Florian. After all this anticipation, those would be the best possible outcomes.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Le Saboteur posted:

Sounds more a product of circumstance than a tactic. Up against the cage there's nowhere to retreat from the reach of that straight left.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Some of the Sheep posted:

Sounds more a product of circumstance than a tactic. Up against the cage there's nowhere to retreat from the reach of that straight left.

He is coincidently moving every single one of his UFC opponents into the ideal position to land his best strike, sure.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

manyak posted:

Exactly, thats the only reason i put "could", my first instinct was "wow thats a really good fight" then i remembered more about maia

I'm interested to see if Gunnar is good enough on the ground to hang with Maia and I'm also interested to see how bad Maia gets lit up on the feet

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

david carmichael posted:

I'm interested to see if Gunnar is good enough on the ground to hang with Maia and I'm also interested to see how bad Maia gets lit up on the feet

it's not often i'm absolutely gobsmacked but watching a fat lightweight absolutely annihilate what should be a lhw or big middleweight with a single strike was extremely impressive.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Dangersim posted:

I hope conor wins so I can find out how a dude who just beat aldo is actually bad

Posting from way back, but that's easy, Aldo was always bad.

E] On furthere reading this has been covered...

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 11, 2015

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Conor is getting a little out there with this movement stuff. https://www.instagram.com/p/_H-nlxobR9/

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Good prep for Aldo's famed stick-fighting style.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/12/11/9890958/ufc-194-pros-predict-jose-aldo-vs-conor-mcgregor

all the Pros picked Aldo except Joe Lauzon :worship:

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
As far as I know Lauzon is the only one with an IT degree so logically Conor is the smart pick

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Erz posted:

As far as I know Lauzon is the only one with an IT degree so logically Conor is the smart pick

he's cancelled out by a bunch of goons betting on Aldo

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Joe Lauzon regurlarly and willingly posts on r/mma, just take that into account when he's the lone pro dissenter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Fighter from southern Massachusetts picks an Irish fighter? We may never unravel this mystery

• Locked thread