Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will champs be come Sunday morning?
This poll is closed.
Weidman/Aldo 79 53.02%
Weidman/McGregor 38 25.50%
Rockhold/Aldo 20 13.42%
Rockhold/McGregor 12 8.05%
Total: 149 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
I believe in conor mcgregor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Le Saboteur posted:

Conor is getting a little out there with this movement stuff. https://www.instagram.com/p/_H-nlxobR9/

It's his weight cut, he can't do anything too taxing.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
I think Rockhold's limited boxing and questionable ability to deal with pressure will result in him eventually getting boxed up, taken down and pounded out towards the end of the fight, though not without Weidman eating a number of nasty kicks.

I don't know what's gonna happen in the main but I think it may involve Aldo laying on Conor which would be cool.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

1 more day fuckers. My mind is going to be anywhere but work this afternoon.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Ty1990 posted:

1 more day fuckers. My mind is going to be anywhere but work this afternoon.

Can't stop thinking about all the really good fights tonight either!

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Dangersim posted:

I believe in conor mcgregor

i'm sort of waffling between who i think is gonna win but i have a probation bet riding on this so aldo better pull through, or he'll get a strongly worded letter from my attorney

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I think Aldo will try to beat Conor on the feet at first since I have to believe McGregor is in his head at least a little bit and he'll want to beat Conor standing.

If Aldo finds it too much trouble to win standing, or he starts taking a ton of damage, he'll bring Conor to the ground. Unless Conor has made some huge strides since the Mendes fight, or he hurts Aldo bad before Aldo takes him down, he'll be in a lot of trouble.

Obviously Aldo has to be real careful of getting caught by that left hand.

Fight is going to be incredible whatever happens.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Decades posted:

I think Rockhold's limited boxing and questionable ability to deal with pressure

I'm glad somebody else said it. I don't want to sound like a Weidman fanboy but steroid Vitor had Luke backing into the cage quite a bit and Machida was hitting him cleanly in their fight until Machida slipped (announcers said he got hit but I can't see it even rewatching the fight) and it went to the ground.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Ty1990 posted:

I'm glad somebody else said it. I don't want to sound like a Weidman fanboy but steroid Vitor had Luke backing into the cage quite a bit and Machida was hitting him cleanly in their fight until Machida slipped (announcers said he got hit but I can't see it even rewatching the fight) and it went to the ground.

iirc Machida got hit with a glancing shot behind his ear which he has been susceptible to in the past and was basically out of it from that point on

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

threeagainstfour posted:

I have to believe McGregor is in his head at least a little bit

Goons and fans in general have a roughly 0% track record in assessing or predicting this.

As an aside, goons are also pretty bad at judging a person's visible emotional state in general ("Holly looks scared after Ronda got mad at the weigh-ins!" and "Dana White looks like he's about to cry in the cage now that VanZant lost!") but we are all pedantic autists so that's just a symptom.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Bluedeanie posted:

Goons and fans in general have a roughly 0% track record in assessing or predicting this.

As an aside, goons are also pretty bad at judging a person's visible emotional state in general ("Holly looks scared after Ronda got mad at the weigh-ins!" and "Dana White looks like he's about to cry in the cage now that VanZant lost!") but we are all pedantic autists so that's just a symptom.

I hope I'm wrong!

I'm rooting for Aldo and want to see him fight smart and not get baited into making a bad move and eating a huge left hand on the chin.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

manyak posted:

iirc Machida got hit with a glancing shot behind his ear which he has been susceptible to in the past and was basically out of it from that point on

hasn't he got caught with the exact same right hook in the same spot by a bunch of people? rockhold's only punch of note seems to be his right hook, but he's clipped a few people with it.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Bluedeanie posted:

You have to extend that to fighters too since Chael has said that Aldo and McGregor are scared of each other and a few other fighters have chimed in on that as well, so between goons, fans, and fighters its probably easier to say that its hard for anyone to know someone elses mental state before a fight

Theres also the possibility that people were right (i.e. Holly was scared) and it just didnt matter because you can be scared and still win a fight

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
frank mir just hangs out backstage crying and he wins all the time. nick diaz always talks about how scared he is before and during fights, and also, how his opponent is a bitch for being scared

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

david carmichael posted:

hasn't he got caught with the exact same right hook in the same spot by a bunch of people? rockhold's only punch of note seems to be his right hook, but he's clipped a few people with it.

Yeah its like he flinches and turns his head away a bit at the last second and it always catches him in the temple or behind the ear to drop him, its happened a handful of times ever since Shogun succeeded with it

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

threeagainstfour posted:

I hope I'm wrong!

I'm rooting for Aldo and want to see him fight smart and not get baited into making a bad move and eating a huge left hand on the chin.

McGregor is probably "in his head" or getting on Aldo's nerves at least a decent bit more than any other fighter he's faced in the UFC running up to the fight, and he may or may not stay there in the fight itself (although we have no real reason to assume this either way.) But regardless of his emotional state in this particular fight, Aldo is going to try to beat McGregor on the feet anyway because Aldo is first and foremost a striker in MMA and never really defaults to grappling unless he is forced to or presented a clear and glaring opportunity.

manyak posted:

You have to extend that to fighters too since Chael has said that Aldo and McGregor are scared of each other and a few other fighters have chimed in on that as well, so between goons, fans, and fighters its probably easier to say that its hard for anyone to know someone elses mental state before a fight

Theres also the possibility that people were right (i.e. Holly was scared) and it just didnt matter because you can be scared and still win a fight

This is also true. I remember a lot of fans saying Chael absolutely without a shadow of a doubt had to be in Anderson's head and that was going to mess him up in the fight, and then at the weigh-ins a number of people also arguing Chael seemed cripplingly terrified because he didn't make eye contact at the staredown or something and therefore Chael wouldn't do well in the fight. Then Chael proceeded to have probably the best performance of his career and not give Anderson an inch for 22 minutes, which has to legitimately be absolutely devastating to your self-esteem through a fight, and Chael himself said he thought Anderson was just giving up and was staring at Rosenthal begging him to stop at one point.

And then Anderson instantly jumps on the first opportunity he has to win with a triangle anyway, so I think it's both virtually impossible to tell if someone is scared/upset/a headcase at all in most cases, and even if you can tell it is then virtually impossible to tell if this will actually make a difference.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Conor may or may not being in his head, but once the fight starts hes going to be talking poo poo in the ring and we'll see if it effects aldo

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
firas said that gsp was constantly a basket case before fights, and sometimes even during fights where he was flawlessly dominating. worried about every conceivable thing that could possibly go wrong and all the ways he could get severely hurt or beaten. "having emotions" isn't necessarily a sign of anything.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

Dangersim posted:

Conor may or may not being in his head, but once the fight starts hes going to be talking poo poo in the ring and we'll see if it effects aldo

maybe if he talks to him in perfect Portuguese then it might, other wise, i dont think he will have any idea what he is saying.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I'm positive McGregor has learned a couple Portuguese phrases to poo poo talk for this fight. Didn't he say he was going to Kill Aldo in portuguese at some presser?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Sharzak posted:

I'm positive McGregor has learned a couple Portuguese phrases to poo poo talk for this fight. Didn't he say he was going to Kill Aldo in portuguese at some presser?

Yeah he did the vai morrer chant at him which I've been waiting for years for someone to do to a Brazilian fighter

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Hello my fellow McGregor/Weidman selectors

Im picking aldo and weidman. but i wont be surprised at all if mcgregor wins, and id be happy if he did.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Sharzak posted:

I figure by now everyone involved in MMA knows what uh vai morrer means, I don't expect Conor to actually sit down with a Portuguese phrase book just to talk poo poo in the cage.

Sprecherscrow fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 11, 2015

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Heres my predictions fr this card:

1. Jose Aldo via DECISION
2. C. Wide Man via TKO
3. Yoel Romero via I LIKE HIS NAME BETTER
4. Damian Maia via DECISION
5. Max Hollow Way via CMON HAHA WHY'D THEY MAKE THIS

Prelims
Who Cares def I Care via Me Not Caring To Predict 50 loving Fights, Thanks.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Ty1990 posted:

Rockhold reminds me a little bit of Jones in that he's a tremendously skilled fighter with awesome physical gifts and an extremely dangerous opponent for anyone who will never ever learn to box.

I actually just rewatched the Machida fight purely to get myself hyped for Rockhold, and was actually kind of disappointed. He did drop machida. That one right hook is great as jack slack has been pointing out. But he came out on the losing end of a lot of striking exchanges before Machida was badly hurt, and I think it'll go similarly with Chris. It makes things hard to predict because regardless of who wins most exchanges, it'll probably come down to Rockhold either landing one huge strike that changes the course of the fight, or not.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Weidman and DJ picked Conor. Whatever about DJ Weidman clearly has a Brazilian Legend murder fetish

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Weidman picking him doesn't surprise me. I feel like weidman has the same unbreakable confidence as conor, he's just much more quiet about it

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009
Weigh-ins are live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTUpgAVwrXE

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Are these fully open like 189 weigh-ins were?

Also this weigh-in guy is always a loving bellend

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009
Man I underestimated how big Jacare is, he looked just as huge as Yoel Romero

Fifthace
May 3, 2003

No.
Chris and Luke are having, like, a full conversation up there

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
conor looks like he's eaten potato stew for the last three years

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
i love how these top guys are always on weight.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Connor looks like an emaciated muscular skeleton.

Somehow

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

They both look like heroin addicts tbh, that hat makes aldo look like a mother who has lost her kids to CPS.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
Oof conor looks bad

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Aldo with the McGregor pose

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Jose making fun of Conor's pose lol.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
Update: I am still extremely excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
conor always looks like death incarnate. His biggest skill is even being able to be 145lbs

• Locked thread