Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will champs be come Sunday morning?
This poll is closed.
Weidman/Aldo 79 53.02%
Weidman/McGregor 38 25.50%
Rockhold/Aldo 20 13.42%
Rockhold/McGregor 12 8.05%
Total: 149 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Love seeing Zach Woods translate for Aldo. Can't wait for tomorrow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
Its crazy how different his face looks

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Conor looked like poo poo as always, the weight cut does not flatter him, lol at Aldo doing conors pose that was funny, and Im excited for the fight

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

cravius posted:

Oof conor looks bad

he always looks like that at weigh in. I will say that he must have cut a lot from the last embedded to today, because he seemed normalish looking then.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
He definitely didn't seem so pleased with his weight the one time he weighed in on the embedded.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Aldo looked very good. Forgoing the trash talk for that sign of disrespect at the weighins was smart,not that I really think anything psychological like that could slow down either fighter. He looked loose and ready to go and I'm really loving hyped for this fight you guys

Fifthace
May 3, 2003

No.
Jose looked like he was having fun with Conor there. I'm so upset that I have to wait a day for this fight.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Sharzak posted:

Aldo looked very good. Forgoing the trash talk for that sign of disrespect at the weighins was smart,not that I really think anything psychological like that could slow down either fighter. He looked loose and ready to go and I'm really loving hyped for this fight you guys

eye poke stoppage 10 seconds of the very first round.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
that looks like a completely fuckin miserable state of being

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Jst0rm posted:

eye poke stoppage 10 seconds of the very first round.

This is the best possible outcome

Fifthace posted:

Jose looked like he was having fun with Conor there. I'm so upset that I have to wait a day for this fight.

Yeah if you had asked me just based on that weighin who looked more shook I'd say Conor for sure.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
on the one hand i'm disappointed that mcgregor is going to get his rear end beat because it'll be the end of an era, but on the other, his schtick will be a lot funnier coming from a man who's in a wheelchair because his leg bones have been kicked into putty.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
why does he keep lifting his knee at stare downs

it looks really dumb

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Conor always looks like poo poo at weigh-ins, i wouldnt put too much stock in it

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Sharzak posted:

This is the best possible outcome

Actually it would be really bad and not funny at all

Fifthace
May 3, 2003

No.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

that looks like a completely fuckin miserable state of being

I'm always amazed that any of these guys even have the energy to flex and poo poo at the weigh-ins

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
also i thought rockhold was supposed to be taller

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

SquirrelGrip posted:

it looks really dumb

Did he really do that dumb thing where he threatens to kick a guy again?

Fifthace
May 3, 2003

No.

Le Saboteur posted:

Haha I wasn't sure what that was but it reminded me of a middle school kid trying to flinch someone

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

SquirrelGrip posted:

it looks really dumb

He was feintingr a kick

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm convinced that Conor has a secret crackhead twin brother that they wheel out for the weigh-ins - he looks like a completely different dude when he's dehydrated like that.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

So if McGregor can't hydrate with an IV for this fight, what are the odds the crazy weight cut he has to do actually catches up to him in this fight?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

threeagainstfour posted:

So if McGregor can't hydrate with an IV for this fight, what are the odds the crazy weight cut he has to do actually catches up to him in this fight?

Low

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Bardeh posted:

I'm convinced that Conor has a secret crackhead twin brother that they wheel out for the weigh-ins - he looks like a completely different dude when he's dehydrated like that.

lol that would be amazing. Conors secret is an emaciated meth head twin.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Luke rockhold is ripshit high

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

threeagainstfour posted:

he couldnt use iv in the last fight. Seemed fine.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Jst0rm posted:

he couldnt use iv in the last fight. Seemed fine.

Ah, for some reason I thought UFC 189 was the last fight where you could use an IV.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Le Saboteur posted:

Dangersim posted:

He was feintingr a kick

its dumb

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

-Atom- posted:

I'm pretty sure I have a one month probation bet with someone on the co-main. I want to say it's with kensei, but I forget.

Rockhold gonna TKO Weidman in the second.

I don't think it was with me?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
let us pray: dear gay jesus, thank you for bringing us all together in order to watch the very pinnacle of an extremely violent, homoerotic, and esoteric sport. please grant us some extremely sick poo poo to see in the next 30 hours or so, and watch over us as we post about it at length for many weeks to come.

amen

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

How the gently caress did no one get hurt

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Dangersim posted:

How the gently caress did no one get hurt

There's still time don't jinx it.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Ok

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I think Weidman is a little taller than hes listed, or is the only guy accurately reporting his height maybe (he was the same height as Anderson pretty much) and Rockhold is slightly below what hes listed as

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Pretty sure that Atom and I had a one week probation bet on the main card not losing a fight to injury. So add that to his probation time after the event tomorrow.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

manyak posted:

Conor looked like poo poo as always, the weight cut does not flatter him, lol at Aldo doing conors pose that was funny, and Im excited for the fight

preach

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Marching Powder posted:

let us pray: dear gay jesus, thank you for bringing us all together in order to watch the very pinnacle of an extremely violent, homoerotic, and esoteric sport. please grant us some extremely sick poo poo to see in the next 30 hours or so, and watch over us as we post about it at length for many weeks to come.

amen

Same tbh, also it's extremely good that none of the title contenders managed to get injured or test positive for magical Thai sex potion or collapse in the bathtub

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I was watching some old Mcgregor fights and its so weird, he is such a good offensive strategist but his defense doesnt exist, like he basically doesnt even try to keep his hands up, he gets hit by everything. For a while I couldnt get on the bandwagon and i remember why now, he got hit with good shots by everyone hes fought in the UFC including marcus brimage, every single fight he has eaten hard shots. I remember thinking he would have to get way better or hed just get iced by a Mendes overhand right or something one day, but then that happened and he just ate it

His whole game is like old school traditional martial arts where its like "im gonna feint this way, which will trick my opponent to moving this way, and I can hit him with this" etc etc chained together, never taking into account what happens if the guy hits back. Whenever the person throws back he just gets hit, resets the distance and nods usually and then starts his game back up again. He is really good at making guys think and making them fight off the back foot, they think the kick is coming and its the left straight, then the kick to the body, guys eventually just get tired of thinking of whats coming next and crumble, usually leaning up against the fence

It would be funny if it just didnt work at all against Aldo and every time he started to feint and make Aldo think he just got hit with a basic counter. i could see it, if he does win I think he is gonna demolish Aldo though because thats pretty much the only way he seems to be able to win

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
fight is gonna fuckin own

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Belle Isle Tech posted:

Man I underestimated how big Jacare is, he looked just as huge as Yoel Romero

Yoel looks big because he carries a lot of muscle but I don't think he's actually particularly large for middleweight.

Bardeh posted:

This used to be an unironically popular theory about Matt and Mark Hughes.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Yeah people keep talking about how Rockhold is huge and Weidman finally won't have "his usual size advantage" which I've never understood at all; Weidman has never been that huge for middle and two of his title defenses have been against guys who've fought at 205, plus Rockhold hasn't exactly towered over any of his opponents. I think people just think of him as big because they keep seeing him training with ~TOP HEAVYWEIGHTS~ and forget the fact that Cain and Cormier are both short tubby dudes.

manyak posted:

I was watching some old Mcgregor fights and its so weird, he is such a good offensive strategist but his defense doesnt exist, like he basically doesnt even try to keep his hands up, he gets hit by everything. For a while I couldnt get on the bandwagon and i remember why now, he got hit with good shots by everyone hes fought in the UFC including marcus brimage, every single fight he has eaten hard shots. I remember thinking he would have to get way better or hed just get iced by a Mendes overhand right or something one day, but then that happened and he just ate it

His whole game is like old school traditional martial arts where its like "im gonna feint this way, which will trick my opponent to moving this way, and I can hit him with this" etc etc chained together, never taking into account what happens if the guy hits back. Whenever the person throws back he just gets hit, resets the distance and nods usually and then starts his game back up again. He is really good at making guys think and making them fight off the back foot, they think the kick is coming and its the left straight, then the kick to the body, guys eventually just get tired of thinking of whats coming next and crumble, usually leaning up against the fence

It would be funny if it just didnt work at all against Aldo and every time he started to feint and make Aldo think he just got hit with a basic counter. i could see it, if he does win I think he is gonna demolish Aldo though because thats pretty much the only way he seems to be able to win

Yeah I agree with most of this, although I think you're underestimating how many shots McGregor doesn't get hit with because his footwork leads to him being in positions where he opponent can't throw effectively (I think this has to do with how many shots he eats without flinching, too; even when people hit him it's rarely shots that they've been able to really set up or sit down on) but you're right that whenever people do throw at him he doesn't do hardly anything in the way of parrying or head movement. That's one of the intriguing things about this fight, how much damage he can do to Aldo (and especially Aldo's body) before Aldo smashes his legs to pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Are we sure Conor doesn't have Paddy Holohan come out and do weigh ins for him?

• Locked thread