Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

So, if it's a railgun, where's all the fire coming from? Are their magnets exploding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

notZaar posted:

So, if it's a railgun, where's all the fire coming from? Are their magnets exploding?

poo poo be catchin' on fire, yo

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

notZaar posted:

Rail guns have serious overheat problems. Think mass effect.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

notZaar posted:

That is the air being turned into plasma around the projectile because it is going so loving fast. Yes I know loving crazy.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Tramadol Junkie posted:

I am just hoping some big poo poo goes down and that Muslims and the whole ME gets wiped out with Israel standing untouched.

There are enough of these for Israel as well.

(freefall bombs are good enough for the middle east)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Blistex posted:

The Middle East except for Israel has no nuke capability.

The downside is Europe getting attacked by ISIS radioactive ghoul in the aftermath.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

etalian posted:

The Middle East except for Israel has no nuke capability.

The downtown is Europe getting attack by ISIS radioactive ghouls.

Israel's nuclear capabilities are unable to reach anyone that matters.
Ghouls are not real.
Expending the entire US B61/83 nuclear arsenal will save taxpayers billions in maintenance costs.

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.

this is exactly 1:1 the map "Crossfire" in cod4

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Vire posted:

That is the air being turned into plasma around the projectile because it is going so loving fast. Yes I know loving crazy.

Nope, not even close. It's mostly tiny particles of molten and vaporized aluminum burning up in the air (which is why it looks exactly like fire). And that's a bad thing, because said bits represent your rails being worn away. Rail erosion eventually makes the gun unusable.

There's some plasma too, but it's not from the projectile's speed. It's because air turns into a plasma when you have high voltage electricity with a million amps of current. Lightning bolts are plasma. However this is also a bad thing. Plasma inside the railgun provides a way for the electricity to arc directly between the rails rather than going through the projectile, which robs it of power. Plus it's bad for erosion (high intensity plasma being very good at vaporizing metal).

So as long as those railgun test videos have that big fireball when they fire, you know it's a bad design that has super limited endurance (like 1000 shots at most).

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Whats that drug the jihadis use it sounds like its some all in one speed and benzo miracle drug according tp the news.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Isaac posted:

Whats that drug the jihadis use it sounds like its some all in one speed and benzo miracle drug according tp the news.
Do you mean khat?

Tramadol Junkie
Aug 30, 2015

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

jBrereton posted:

Do you mean khat?

Not Khat.

They use a drug called Captagon which is a type of amphetamine pill.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Sounds great.

Tramadol Junkie
Aug 30, 2015

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Blistex posted:

Leave Israel alone.

We dont want millions of Jews dispersing into Europe again.

Keep them contained in Israel.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

oh okay sorry so it's bad, but still necessary, got it

the only thing that's necessary is keeping America completely uninvolved in Syria regardless of what Assad does or doesn't do. because the alternative is worse and you'd have to be retarded to not see that

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
are nukes bad for the environment or not ? it sounds funny as gently caress to drop one on the saudis but not if we have to deal with a hundred years of bad crops and radioactive sand

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

unpacked robinhood posted:

are nukes bad for the environment or not ?
If it wasn't for that drat nuclear testing ban we'd know a lot better.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

are nukes bad for the environment or not ? it sounds funny as gently caress to drop one on the saudis but not if we have to deal with a hundred years of bad crops and radioactive sand

They are bad for living organisms, so yes they are bad for the environment.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Tramadol Junkie posted:

Leave Israel alone.

We dont want millions of Jews dispersing into Europe again.

Keep them contained in Israel.

I don't think you know how Nuclear weapons work. They will be dispersing into Europe, and wherever the prevailing winds are going.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

notZaar posted:

They are bad for living organisms, so yes they are bad for the environment.

killing millions of people is probably good for the environment, long term

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex posted:

killing millions of people is probably good for the environment, long term

Ionizing radiation is bad for every organism, not just people. The zone of exclusion in Pripyat is going to remain a poisoned wasteland for thousands of years.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

notZaar posted:

Ionizing radiation is bad for every organism, not just people. The zone of exclusion in Pripyat is going to remain a poisoned wasteland for thousands of years.

The wildlife in Pripyat thrived after all the humans left.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine all the desert bustling with life again once the muslims are cooked to a fine dust

vvv :3:

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 10, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Imagine all the desert bustling with life again once the muslims are cooked to a fine dust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBxn56l9WcU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

etalian posted:

The wildlife in Pripyat thrived after all the humans left.

According to Wiki all the scientific reports point to marked increases in mutations and a decline in species diversity. It's true that the absence of people encouraged the overall animal populations, but they are still living on poisoned grounds that are loving up their genes.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

notZaar posted:

yeah its too bad nobody can ever live in hiroshima or nagasaki again

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

City of Tampa posted:

the only thing that's necessary is keeping America completely uninvolved in Syria regardless of what Assad does or doesn't do. because the alternative is worse and you'd have to be retarded to not see that

i'm not really talking about that. yeah intervention would probably backfire tremendously.

but the way some dipshits talk you'd think the people who started protesting and revolting in syria in the first place were the real bad guys, because they committed the unpardonable sin of weakening a state

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
I lust for death

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Has WW III broken out yet? I work from home and haven't looked out the window yet today.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Has WW III broken out yet? I work from home and haven't looked out the window yet today.

well look on bright side, we have made in USA equipment killing russians again

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I support President al-Assad in his quest to bring peace to Syria and justice upon the foreign revolutionaries killing his people.

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

etalian posted:

It's also a foreign policy that's pretty myopic in the long run with no attempt to connect decisions made now with horrible future blowback.

For example the US created the modern Iran by helping to overthrow a democratically elected left wing government, all because the iranian government wanted to nationalize all the oil fields.

Mossadegh wasn't even a leftist, just a conservative nationalist.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I lust for Russian death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Nation posted:

I lust for death

same