Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
Awesome, an SC2 Let's Play - this was one of my favorite games back in the day!

I grow turgid. :frog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
Explore nearby stars so we can get a bit more to start us off. Buy another lander because we don't want to have to turn home with empty cargo bays.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Robhol posted:

My suggestion is:

Max. Antimatter Thrusters (7x500 = 3500RU)
Max. Turning Jets (4x500 = 2000RU)
Fuel Tank + additional fuel (1700RU)
Cargo Bay (750RU)
Crew Pod + additional crew (2150RU)
Total: 10100RU

And we should go to the Spathi, via Rigel.

This is pretty much exactly what I wanted to vote for.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
Shopping list:

1x Cargo Bay (750 RU)
1x Planet Lander (500 RU)
2x Spathi Eluder and crew (~3800 RU)
Total: ~5050 RU

Well-piloted Eluders can kill almost anything in known space. Getting the Spathi on our side is a spectacular coup; let's take advantage of it, and in the meantime set up for some further mining operations.

Itenerary:

Vela and the Androsynth.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

My theory always has been that they are genuine psychics, they're just terrible at it and fail to understand how annoyed everyone else in the universe is by them.

They know exactly how annoyed everyone is and they do it on purpose. Remember the conversation about the Ilwrath's past?

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
Shopping list:

2x Spathi Eluder and crew (~3800 RUs)
1x Crew Pod and crew (2150 RUs)
2x Planet Lander (1000 RUs)
1x Cargo Bay (750 RUs)

Total: ~7750 RU

We're getting to the point where we're going to be exploring places with hostile aliens, and we are going to need competent warships. Furies are okay for some fights, but I can't think of any fight where I would want a Cruiser over an Eluder. It also seems like fuel isn't a huge concern as long as we're doing these short sweeps around Sol.

Itenerary:
Vela, the Androsynth, and the VUX. After that short tour, if we still have the crew, fuel, and cargo space, we may be able to continue to Yehat and Shofixti space before heading home.

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 20, 2015

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

SubNat posted:

Not to mention that if they had gone the fallow route, they would have ended up trapped on their homeworld with The Evil Ones, and promptly eaten.

Nah, they'd just have gotten stuck on the moon on which they had already taken up residence. The Ur-Quan may be tyrannical conquerers, but we get evidence later in the game that they can be flexible about that kind of stuff.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
Zoq-Fot-Pik sounds like a good idea to me. I'd still like to go visit the Yehat and Shofixti, but the ZFP are fine for now.

Shopping List:
1x Hi-Efficiency Fuel Tank and fuel (3400 RU)
2x Orz Nemesis and crew (~4700 RU)
1x Crew Pod and crew (2150 RU)
2x Cargo Bay (1500 RU)
1x Planet Lander (500 RU)

Total: ~12250 RUs

We're about to take a long trip into (according to both the Melnorme and Zoq-Fot-Pik accounts) hostile space. It's going to take a lot of fuel and fighting to get there, and there's a lot of mining available on the way.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
The Orz are probably my favorite race in the game, just for the degree to which everything about them is implicature and speculation. Like, look at the ruins on the Androsynth homeworld - they did research into dimensional stuff, there was a giant land war that apparently left no survivors, and the one scientist who gets to read about their research goes nuts and starts busting stuff up. What the hell was that land war? Was it the Androsynth going homicidally insane and trying to kill each other? Everyone being paranoid about *things* watching them and trying to nuke phantoms? Orz marines showing up and shooting the place up like it's a giant spaceship? All we really know is that it would be a bad idea to try again. I don't think it's much of a spoiler to say that everyone else who gives us more information about the Orz than "yeah, they're new, don't know what's up with them" delivers it in a way that's only slightly less vague that the Orz's ramblings themselves.

I like to think that the Androsynth were looking into extradimensional stuff as a way to escape. They were created as servants for Earth, managed to discover FTL travel, kept it secret from their masters, and coordinated an enormous worldwide evacuation. Then the first alien species they run into points gigantic guns at them and shouts "Submit or Die." There's no way they were actually going to accept slavery, they chose the option that gave them the greatest possible freedom until they could replicate their crowning achievement as a species - it just happened that wherever they were looking this time was, unfortunately, a lot less hospitable than Hyperspace.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Do we have a ship that will do really well against the Ilwrath yet?

I suppose the Orz ship and it's cannon might do good.

The problem is that we have no real leads on what to do about the Ilwrath other than 'go to the homeworld of their dark gods', and that doesn't sound like an easy time solution to me. I'd definitely support doing that next after helping out the ZFPs, though.

The Spathi are good if you're wiling to spend a long time plinking them down from a safe distance, but the Orz clown Ilwrath pretty hard - they're not quite as good at staying permanently out of range, but the howitzer kills them much faster than the Spathi peashooter.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
Shopping list:

1x Fusion blaster in the rearmost slot
1x Point Defense Unit
2x Dynamos
1x Hi-Efficiency Fuel Tank

...and then whatever combination of fleet ships you feel comfortable with buying with the remainder.

With the loss of the Spathi, we no longer have access to our most potent warships. We also have a couple of long-range destinations we would like to take a look at. Let's refit the Heart of Gold to make it competent in battle and gear up for some long-distance travel. Combat is player-mediated enough that I feel like our host should be allowed to choose what other ships we bring along.

Itenerary:
Let's go check out the Slylandro Probe "homeworld" at Beta Corvi. Those things are already an enormous nuisance and it's just going to get worse. While we're up there, we have a good opportunity to check out the anomalous on-off star.

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 1, 2016

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Martian posted:

Another vote for helping the Pkunk.

As for our shopping list: it seems likely we'll encounter Ilwrath warships. None of the vessels we can build do well against them. The only vessel we haven't seen, the Zoq Fot Pik ship, seems to be a bad option since they both excel at short range; there would be tons of casualties even if they win. I think that equipping the Heart of Gold with a rear-firing gun is the best option we have, but ONLY if the Heart is able to outrun an Ilwrath Avenger.

E: also, thanks for the Orz update!

Fully engined up flagship is fast as balls. We can pretty much outrun anything short of a Pkunk Fury and a couple of special movement modes some of the ships have. I can't recall exactly, but I think the only reason we get caught by Probes in hyperspace is that they catch us on the turns.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
I'm pretty sure Hyperspace speed is based on in-combat speed. At the very least, both of them go up as you buy flagship engines and typically the faster ships have faster Hyperspace presences.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
The Sentient Milieu definitely did not count the Precursors among its members; the Slylandro mention the brown Ur-Quan as being around 3 Drahn ago and the Precursors closer to 40.

I vote for F as well, though I might say it would be better to go there in Hyperspace rather than using the portals - after all, the Arilou did mention handing that Talking Pet off to the Umgah, and according to the old starmap they're not too far from our position. We've heard tales of their spectacular dickishness, let's go experience it ourselves!

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 4, 2016

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
I've read some speculation that the Kohr-Ah had their intraspecies aggression reduced as part of the Dnyarri engineering to make a laborer species. You can handle keeping your administrators separated from each other; it is much harder to run an effective factory when all the workers are freaking out and murdering each other.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

my dad posted:

What's wrong with the Supox? :confused:

Nothing, really, they're just bland. Most of the races have a visible, memorable gimmick, and usually some good lines to go with it, but the Supox are, well, what we've seen is pretty much what there is.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Night10194 posted:

Funny, that isn't how you spell Arilou.

We all know that "I like inertialess drive" is code for "I am a pansy weakling that can't handle the recoil from a real gun," there's no need to try to hide it.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Captain Bravo posted:

Are there any ships of the battle thrall fleets that are actually better at taking down a Kohr-Ah battleship than the Kzer-Za ships? I know the Eluder is a particularly powerful ship, but would it fare better 1-on-1 than the green battleship?

Probably not 1-on-1, but if we think about the point value/"RU cost" the Eluder would likely fare at least as well as the Dreadnaught. If we were to do that, though, I'd be interested in seeing how the Umgah fare. It's really hard to hurt them past the antimatter cone if you aren't agile enough to flank them, which the Kohr-Ah aren't, and it does some pretty intense damage if they can catch you in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Bloodly posted:

(You can pick up things from killed races-Lord knows how that works with the Dnyarri),

Presumably, the Dnyarri knows it doesn't have the telepathy chops to hard mind control the ENTIRE Kohr-Ah fleet on its own, but it can at least get them to not notice it and its hideout.

• Locked thread