Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

The purpose of Beeblebrox is to distract everyone from where the real power lies.....in the votes of voices in one of Beeblebrox's heads (i.e. us).

To successfully distract the public we must put the name of Beeblebrox everywhere we can. Plus he seems like he would be a benevolent Emperor who will mostly content himself with cutting up his own brain to keep him from learning things he does not want himself to know.

Empire of Beeblebrox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Veloxyll posted:

You say that, but rmeember what happened with StarCon 3.

Some things are better left in the past.
As amazing as they may be.

I actually liked Star Control 3. It is not as good as 2 but I enjoyed it.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Fearless_Decoy posted:

The Dnyarri's mind control is powerful but we've seen two ways in game that stop it cold. One is the Taalo thingie that we got from the Orz a while back. The other is the method that the Ur-Quan used. I'm pretty sure that if the Ur-Quan (either side) got wind of a Dnyarri with its powers intact, they'd be able to deal with it, violently and messily.

The Ur-Quan could stick Excruciators in their brains and send a fleet manned by those so "equipped" to deal with the problem. In fact you would think that would be the one thing you could tell the Ur-Quan that would get them to stop their war, turn everything around, and go crazy. When you find out your former slavers are about you tend to get panicky. After all the whole point of their doctrines is to make sure no species can ever enslave them again.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Seravadon posted:

This LP got me to play Star Control 2 and I loved the hell out of it. Is Star Control 3 worth playing at all? I know I have heard some less than stellar things about it but does it have any redeeming qualities?

If it wasn't the sequel to Star Control 2 it would be remembered as a fun little space adventure. As it is the sequel it is loathed. I missed Star Control 2 as a kid and played 3 as a teenager and liked it. Later I played 2 and began to understand the hate though I do not share in it. Maybe I should LP it at some point.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Tunicate posted:

I imagine Dnyarri are strong but not unlimited telepaths - too many Ur-Quan to police.

Yeah, if the Ur-Quan kills a Dnyarri he frees all the Ur-Quan under that toad's control. Dnyarri can control quite a few so there might have only been a few Dnyarri per planet. If you squished a half a dozen you have a whole planet free. Happens simultaneously on many planets and you have a revolution. Then you start putting excruciators in your brains to make sure you stay free and move on to squish more toads.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Captain Bravo posted:

They don't still wear them, but they probably still have them.

They do, in Star Control 3 they suspect that a sentient Dnyarri may be around and keep an excruciator ready just in case. They claim they would offer one to you but that it is too strong and would kill a human.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Steelpudding posted:

So.. Are we cool to start Star Control 3 thread yet? Where's the guy who said he'll do it?

I will probably start one this weekend if no one else does.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

I cannot get SC3 video to record right. I could do a screenshot LP but that really takes out the battles and voice acting. Anyone better at those kinds of LPs want to take a shot at it?

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Levarris posted:

Try OBS and play it in windowed mode.

I might try sometime this week but I have been sucked into the new Master of Orion.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

terrenblade posted:

Any chance of a stream? I'm torn about it, on the one hand, moo1 and moo2, on the other moo3.

Probably not any time soon, doubt I will have much time to play this week. I can say that it is not moo3. It is an updated moo2 in pretty much every respect. Other then real time combat I cannot think of anything they could have taken from moo3 and the real time combat is nothing like moo3. I was not a big ship designer in moo2 though so the different format works for me. The ships close and as they close they first fire missiles and launch fighters then fire energy projectiles and finally fire the beam weapons. Then things start exploding and everyone fires everything.

The other change is how movement works along warp lines. Once in a system you can go to any of the planets in them. If you have a colony in the system the warp points can be garrisoned with a station. Unlike moo2 it is much more difficult and takes much longer to reposition ships to another front. In the first two moos you were almost never more then 5 or 6 turns from getting your fleet to anywhere that matters. In my last game I forced an opponent to sue for peace on one side of the galaxy and then my biggest arch-rival on the far side declared war (drat Psilons!). It took about 25 turns to get my main fleet redeployed and I had to fight with and rush buy to build up my garrison fleet to hold the line until they can arrive.

The only things I saw that were not yet implemented were four of the races (Darloks, Silicoids, Meklars, Klackons) and espionage is not working yet. The buildings are there but no actual spying. My only complaint that might be fixed is when you launch a ground assault it uses all the troop transports in the fleet and lands all the troops. I learned to use them in groups so I do not land 40 marines on a planet with 2 defending marines and then have to buy them back into space by rebuilding the transport. There is also a limitation that you cannot build a troop transport unless you have the marines on the planet to get in the ship so unlike moo2 you cannot spam out 50 troop transports 1 a turn over 50 turns from one planet. I made it a habit whenever I was refilling planet queues (one of the main activities in moo2 and this game) to build as many troop transports as I could even in peacetime so they would be around.

I played two full games yesterday and had fun. I played on normal and it felt like playing moo2 on normal in terms of difficulty (i.e. pretty easy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Moo3 could have been so good, I want an actually good Space Imperial Spreadsheet Simulator. :negative:

I reinstalled it twice thinking that maybe I did not give it a fair shake as the idea is so good. It never stayed on my hard drive for more then 24 consecutive hours. It is amazing that I did not keep eating rocks as a kid thinking that this time it might be different and taste like candy.

• Locked thread