Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Oh my, a Star Control 2 LP. Juffo-Wup is already filling my fibers.

I too have some small fondness for 3, mostly the (much reviled) puppet heads which I honestly thought had a neat pulp sci-fi look. The game as a whole was a huge letdown, though.

Yes, Stardock own the license right now and are apparently planning a prequel/reboot thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Jeek posted:

I assume you can either be a savior of the galaxy or the ultimate evil in this game depending on your choice, right?

While I really want to make a funny reference to possible future cultural events here, this question is mostly unanswerable because spoiler policy. Things should all be clear in time.

Also, Thrusters and the Pkunk.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

It's possible that I sometimes use "The Shape of Pkunk to Come" as my internet nickname so you may say I harbor a certain fondness for the Children of the Stellar Breeze (and also Refused). They're the best psychic birds in all of space also the Fury is simultaneously great and terrible and my favorite ship to fly.

As for whether they're actual psychics or full of crap, signs point to yes.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

I always read the Orz as a sort of cross between the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth and an adorable kitten. Immeasurably powerful, otherworldly, curious, intensely friendly and absolutely no concept of (human) morality.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Do we know where the former Syreen homeworld Syra was?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

The Scout also has the benefit of being an excellent first round pick: if you get a Glory Device hit in then you get to counterpick against what your opponent picks next, or the big expensive ship you just hurt badly. If the opponent's blind pick was a good counter to the scout and you die without successfully detonating then it's a much smaller loss than had you picked any other ship and gotten countered.

As for the Torch, the problem isn't the exhaust flames. It's the speed. It's not possible to actually catch up to or hit a well-piloted Torch with any ship other than another better-piloted Torch, but its gun does 1 damage. It will hit-and-run the majority of ships to death over the course of 10 agonizing minutes, and eternally stalemate against anything that can dodge or shield or recover from its attack runs. There are good reasons it's usually banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

In an alternate alternate universe, where Prof˛ picked the "be like us" options:

Hmmm... okay. I see. When necessary, we will be obsequious and kowtow and the rest of the time, we will bluster and threaten! How simple!

Aha! I see it now. We proceed carefully, we take no undue risks. We slowly build up our strength and only attack when we have overwhelming odds on our side! In dealings with other races, we shall question them mercilessly trying to drag out every last bit of information, and if they are not cooperative we will threaten them with instant death! We will be just like you!

• Locked thread