Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Empire, none of this pansy concordance or alliance stuff - time to go all Genghis Khan on these Ur-Assholes (and presumably the rest of the galaxy).

Never played this game (but something similar on the Mega Drive, can't recall the name though), the set-up seems pretty perfect for this sort of game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

No, you started out on a rather ordinary lookning space station with a piece-of-poo poo white ship that may have looked somewhat like a penis - you could land on planets (to hilarious results of their gravity was too high) and drive around some sort or rover and mine stuff. There was also combat. All rather similar to this game here, but with more modern 2D graphics. You had to buy fuel and could pretty easily run out too...

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Right! Starflight it was.

Weird how common this sort of game used to be.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Man did Commander Hayes walk out of Mortal Kombat or something? I was expecting us having to fight him to death over the alliegence of his space station with that theme music.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Star Control 5: Star Control 4 are not here. Orz are here. *Party Time* Edition.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The Androsynth are still alive, in Happy Ethanol Space, partying it up with :cthulhu::gay::goshawk:

Prove otherwise :colbert:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Man, that ethanol fueled Orz murdermarine was veeery adept murder-hoboing the poo poo out of the SS Ur-quan :stare:

"WE WILL NOW PROCEED TO ELIMINATE YOU- *koolaid Orz crashes through the spaceship wall* -WAIT WHAT OH SWEET MAKER HAVE MERCY-*scooby-doo honking sounds*

Do not get on the Orz bad side.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

EponymousMrYar posted:

One thing that I'm really liking is that this game is touching on the 'freedom versus safety' issue. One one hand, we're free and able to do a bunch of stuff and that's pretty good. Slave shield is bad because the rest of us are stuck down there!

Except space is a big and scary place filled with scary things. The probes, the Ilwraith, the Kohr-Ah. The Spathi, consummate cowards they are immediately set about using us to make their own slave shield so they'd be safe beneath it. Then we learn about the Ur-Quan's dealing with the Slyreen ladies in getting them a new home.

Now we've got the Arilou who are perfectly happy that we've got a slave shield around us and that they've been working to keep the quasi-cosmic horrors at bay from us for millenia. Another vote against them being Space Elf-ish, they remarked the shield was clever and that they wish they had thought of it.

So yeah, one of the core themes of this game seems to be that 'Space is a big, wonderful dangerous place. Explore at your own peril or be safe on your home turf.'

Presumably the Kohr-Ah can ignore the Slave Shields, so it's more like sitting ducks if the Ur-Quan don't happen to be nearby.

And I'm guessing the whole Slave Shield On One Planet deal isn't so great if your species have happened to live on multiple planets for centuries/millenia.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The knowledge about Old Brown & Good Ur-Quan (the originals?) and this here Milieu of Sentinence they seem to have shared with the Taalo amongst others is very interesting. The picture is becoming clearer, wonder if the Precursors were part of the Milieu too, or came before that? (Probably before). The Milieu and its members don't seem to be around much, what with the now-unGood-Ur-Quan factions roaming around, last piece of the puzzle?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Tunicate posted:

Obviously we're dealing with evil chromatic ur-quan, rather than the good-aligned metallic ones.

Maybe they were so Lawful Good that they flipped around to Lawful Evil like the Ilwrath did with Chaotic Good/Evil.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I like to imagine the Kohr-Ah being pitted against something like a Dalek space empire. ...or any sort of extremely british, genocidal, robotic and extremely britishly sarcastic empire.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The Mycon could certainly be the big bads in a game of their own if they felt like it, use their shroominess and spores to spawn various enemy types / zombify others - they have a vast fleet and can *threaten the galaxy*

Maybe they'll face Commander Shepard 2.0 [Right Hook Juffo-Wup]

Unrelated, but I love everything about the Yehat and especially that voice acting. I wonder how the hell they spawned the Pkunk.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I recall there being some sort of overflow bug in the pretty newly released Rule the Waves game (one man show excuse at least) where if you went over 50 000 or so in weight on a battleship you could max out armor and mount something like a dozen+ quad turrets with 18 inch guns (or whatever max roof there was) because weight calculations got all screwy.

If only we could find the same bug in this game, nothing could stop us!

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Bloodly posted:

The Pkunk told you outright.

They're effectively a mutation or errant breed caused by issues in the egg. Instead of being warlike, they're peace-lovers with added ESP.

But how do you go from one weirdo and an egg to an entire armada of space hippy psychics? The Yehat dudes don't seem to be very tolerant of such shenanigans. That majestic (and repulsive) story demands to be told :colbert:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

That works.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Think I read somewhere that the Shofixti idea here was to have like, that one surviving japanese soldier found on an island decades after the war not knowing it was over?

But wait... ZEX and his 20 Shofixti maidens? I think I know where this is going :gonk:

And speaking of ZEX, I can't unsee that Umgah rubbing a tit and enjoying it immensely.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

Being vaguely "Japanese-based" wouldn't be so bad without those accents. Like I knew that there was a samurai warrior culture thing going on with them but holy poo poo. I was cringing watching that video.

They should have gone even more over the top with the accent, and even more samuraish... Master Splinter? Full speed beyond absurdum.

A field of broken Hierarchy ships, killed by a thousand cuts from the master-folded Shofixti blade ship (melee ramming required)~ :shibe:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Proposal: Good Guy Skavens, In Space.

Y/N?

They even get to keep the vague asian theme and self-destructive weapon tech.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Hermetian posted:

I really like how retreating from battle becomes a gameplay mechanic.

The Shofixti would be a lot worse if they were not-Middle-Eastern instead of not-Japanese.

In an alternative reality, the included Shottoman Empire's last heir and his player-given quest to go beat up ZEX for a new Space Harem and enabling of the subsequent galactic jihad is one of UQMs "more questionable" storylines.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Narsham posted:

Yeah, the Supox being attached at the hip to the Utwig means they don't get a plotline of their own. And the game never allows you to converse with both the Utwig and the Supox together, which would potentially make them more interesting.

A lot of potential with them, but it relies on you overhearing their conversation with someone else. Supox meeting Zoq-Fot-Pic would be fun. Supox meeting Orz would be terrifying.

Supox are convinced to invite the Orz for a *party* at their place, galactic devastationhijinks ensue in SC345

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Does this guy also work for the Crimson Corporation?

Voting Alpha Cerenkov. Get this monster off of our ship, and get us the Shofixti Maidens.

Gotta get the ferret army up and running. Without the Kido Ferretai, how could we possibly sink the rhetorical Ur-Quan Enterprise?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

You'd think ZEX would favor the ZFP form of combat.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Hey now I believe the Dnyarri, seems like a stand-up toad-kinda-guy, don't be so toad-racist :colbert:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Maybe they have some form of rules of engagement, ala Vorlons and co from B5.

Although that went more like
"What you are doing is dickish!"
"... now that you mention it, gee, well, uh. Guess we'll be leaving now"

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

~: Give - your - Vote - for - Mr Toad - for - Erde Reich - Kaiser-for-Eternity - today! :~

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The japanese voice actor for the Black Ur-Quan sounds a lot like Dozle Zabi, a very distinct voice but I can't recall the name of the VA (compared to say... Wakamoto, which is the other go-to guy for deep intimidating voices)

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Sitcom - The Chmmr dog walking service
"EXCELLENT, FELINE DEFECATION HAS COMMENCED.
OH NO, OUT OF PLASTIC BAGS
OH NO, PARTIALLY OBFUSCATED SIGN SPELLS OUT NO DOG WALKING ALLOWED
OH NO, POLICE APPROACHING
SO I PULL OUT MY GUN"

Starring R. Kelly as Chmmr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

So how do you deal with the Illwrath if you send the Thraddash off to fight the Ur-Quan?

• Locked thread