Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Pimpmust posted:

Right! Starflight it was.

Weird how common this sort of game used to be.

Never heard of this game until now. I thought starcon 2 was the only game with that format. From the bit I watched I really like the plantary landings and the extra graphical detail there.

Voting for Empire because this is the only correct choice for our character. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Speaking of other games like Star Control. I was curious why there hasn't been any sequel, spiritual successor or otherwise to this series so I looked it up. Apparently Toys for Bob hasn't worked on a Space sim/exploration game since Star Control 2 back in 1992. They were bought by Crystal Dynamics around the time of this game's release and later Activision.

Sadly all they seem to have worked on since Star Control 2 have been 3D platforming games like Spyro the dragon, Skylanders being the latest. I've seen much worse fates for great companies but it's still a drat shame that there will never be a real sequel ever from the looks of it. I've yet to see a space game even come close to this one either. Mass effect tries and fails, and that's all that comes to mind. A kickstarter is not possible because they are owned by activision :( Toys for Bob

There have been countless space 4xs and combat sims/trader games but Star Control 2 is the only story based space exploration game . Come on game/indie developers I don't want to play a space strategy, space shooter, space trader or a space combat game. I just want to explore space and find some interesting planets and species while gathering resources to build up my ship. Is creating this type of game that hard? It's really pathetic that Mass Effect is the only recent game that remotely offers this.

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 1, 2016

• Locked thread