Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Captain Crik, captaining the ship Undertaking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

You have posted the LP. You have posted it rightly.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Just because we're called the Empire doesn't mean we're the baddies, you know?

We're the Empire of Beeblebrox, specifically, and Captain Beeblebrox is the coolest frood in the galaxy, so everything about this Empire will be cool and froody.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Pimpmust posted:

Right! Starflight it was.

Weird how common this sort of game used to be.
I don't think there's anything particularly special about the gameplay, mechanics or premise of this game. Like you say, it's all pretty commonplace for its time. Its reputation can be attributed, at least in my opinion, to the good writing, the memorable alien species (and the excellent music and voice acting they all have, I wish ProfessorProf would post videos or at least audio logs of every interaction, they're great) and the interesting events you can get into.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Seyser Koze posted:

That would be consistent with the way Star Control 2 and 3 were handled.

I'm in the bizarre position of hoping Activision decides that Star Control is a property worthy of being monetized so that the series gets revived.
Star Controls 1 and especially 2 could do with a re-make, with updated textures and graphics (kinda like the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition) but I don't think the series should be revived.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

You need to focus on the quality of life upgrades at first. If I could I'd suggest you get two each of the turning thrusters, fuel tank, cargo bay and antimatter pod, but since we can only pick one I'll go with the antimatter pod.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I mean, I guess feel free to try visiting the Spathi. It's a big galaxy though, I wouldn't be surprised if we ran into something else along the way.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Lobsterman posted:

Please go make friends with the Pkunk, they are my favorite.
I like so many of the races in this game that it's super hard for me to pick my favorite

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

ProfessorProf posted:

Vote lock! We're using Robhol's loadout and visiting Spathiwa next.

e: And sure, it came with the game and is pretty neat. Have the official starmap, which I'll edit into the second post. Be aware that the info on that map is 22 years out of date, so the galaxy may have changed.
Can we presume that we know this for LP purposes? If so, I propose that we explore the regions surrounding Sol in a clockwise manner relative to Sol system. The Spathi first at 12 o'clock (as we've already voted on that), the Androsynth at 2 o'clock, the Shofixti at 5 o'clock, the unknown region at 7 o'clock, and the Chenjesu at 11 o'clock.

Or a counterclockwise manner. Doesn't matter.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Centurium posted:

Just a thought:

Humanity was at war, which they apparently lost pretty bad. If you look at the chart Prof posted, that's the galaxy as it was when our little science expedition lost contact with Earth, in the middle of the war.

Hayes told us that the Chenjesu and Mrmhrm were defeated at Procyon before Earth got borked.

There's other information about the war that either the commander or Hayes know, but maybe Prof hasn't selected dialogue about yet.

The point is, we had allies and enemies in space, and aside from the Ilwrath who have already made themselves known as adversaries in game, maybe we should ask about who was our best friend and who was our mortal enemy before plotting a course to their home world.

Edit: For example, Fwiffo told us that the Spathi work for the Ur-Quan. So that's maybe a confrontational second trip choice, but it's also the Spathi. Spathi are the best.
Sure, finding former Allied species can be a priority, but I just figure that since our base of operations is in Sol, we should get the lay of the land in the areas surrounding it. Once we have our footing and we are confident that there isn't a huge enemy force on our doorstep, we can start going wherever.

It's kind of a roleplay-ish decision rather than one that makes the best sense in gameplay terms, probably.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I'm sure this Zex dude is on the up-and-up. And if he's just giving away Shofixti maidens then who are we to say no? I mean, don't look a gift Shofixti in the mouth. We haven't heard much about them yet though, so that presumes they have mouths.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

It's probably best to avoid the Ur'Quan until we learn more about them.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Let's go to Alpha Tucanae, the Zoq-Fot-Pik seemed like they were kinda in dire straits, best not to dawdle much longer.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

It's pretty easy to translate the *spicy* words so that they best fit the sentences they were in from our perspective. The real fun is to try and figure out why it was so hard for the translation program to best-fit them in the first place, what double-meaning or ineffable bizarre multiple interpretation from another dimension the interpreter was simply incapable of deciphering.

The first example that comes to mind: the use of *campers* to refer to denizens of true-space. Why did the translator go with that term? Perhaps it's because camping has one very specific meaning: it's temporary. Denizens of true-space are, to one extent or another, ephemeral.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Thanks to a thing that happened last update, we can potentially learn more about the motivations behind the actions of the two kinds of Ur-Quan. I'm guessing we'll get around to that soon.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Princey posted:

I vote for this. The Melnorme have some interesting things to say. I say buy the info whenever convenient for you, don't show us until the relevant quest line has been completed.
Or until you're about to start the relevant quest sequence, whatever you think feels best

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Alien, you have spoken the Words, and you have spoken them rightly.

The Words are probably the single most memorable thing in this game.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

The Yehat are my favorite aliens. They're highlander birds. It's amazing.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

ProfessorProf posted:

If it's possible to recruit the Mycon, such a thing is indeed possible.
Every ship you encounter in the hands of a potentially recruitable enemy is identical to the one you get to control if you get them to join you, iirc

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Alpha Cherenkov, if the Shofixti really breed as fast as we've been told this might lead to another addition to the Alliance.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

We should swing by and talk to the Yehat soon, they were familiar with the Shofixti so maybe they'll be interested in the news. And just as importantly we might be running out of time to figure out a way to keep them from blowing up the Pkunk. Finally, they're highlander birds and we should hang out with them as much as possible

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Only deal with the Druuge if they have something actually worthwhile. Not their ships or any garbage like that.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Bellmaker posted:

Vux->Yehat->Mycon please. They're all in the same area too.
Cosigned.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

The Pkunk keep trying to migrate into Yehat space. I figure the only way they'll survive the trip is if we can convince the Yehat that they are worth the time. Maybe a quid-pro-quo notifying them about the Shofixti will help. But we're short on time here, so let's get on it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

GunnerJ posted:

I think it's interesting that the Taalo device has a "talk about flowers" loophole.
I think it's more a matter that even with the Taalo device, the Dnyaari can STILL manipulate us in things that aren't completely contrary to our normal actions. They're kinda terrifyingly powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Three fuel tanks, three crew pods. Bring Fwiffo, 4 Utwig Juggers and 7 Chmmr Avatars.

• Locked thread