Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Captain Jak, of the Precursor Ship Daxter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Mikl posted:

Explore nearby stars and be sure to bring along a new cargo bay to carry all the loot.

Yeah, this. Being able to stay out longer doesn't do us much good if we fill our cargo before we use most of our fuel.

Mikl posted:

e. Thinking about it, can we vote for other things than the options you gave us? If so, you should go to the Vela system and bring your friends up to speed.

Can we seriously do this? I have played this game a little bit, but I never thought to try and go back to Vela.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Veloxyll posted:

Cargo Bays and Nearby Systems

The Empire needs resources!

YOU REQUIRE MORE MINERALS

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Well this got me to play around with my copy for a few hours. Using the enter key to fire while trying to dodge with the arrow keys has really not loving aged well at all!

I think I saw an option to change the controls. Maybe I can set up a WASD control scheme...

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Saros posted:

Go try Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds, its one of my favourites.

Pushing Ice is really great, self contained, and probably the most accessible of his books. I love the Revelation Space Trilogy plus the supplemental stuff he's put out, but calling it Hard Sci-Fi is somewhat akin to referring to the ocean as being "somewhat damp". Unlike many of his other works, the technology involved starts at a level we're familiar with and slowly ramps up. Most of his other works slap you upside the head with stuff and expect you to just figure it out.

I wanted to end this with "[Blank] is the Best Commander Shepard", but I couldn't decide between Ilia Volyova, Ana Khouri, or Nevil Clavain.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Chrono Trigger confirmed Star Control canon.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Night10194 posted:

Nova was a really bad game next to Override. gently caress the Polaris and gently caress the Vell-os. Nova was basically a game where at every stage having a smaller, faster ship armed with continuous beams was superior to any sort of capital craft.

Override was awesome, though. And Realm of Prey, a huge TC mod for the original EV, was goddamn amazing.

Side note, they released versions of the original EV, Override, and Realm of Prey for the Nova engine. I have a folder on my computer that has four copies of Nova in it, each dedicated to running one of the four. Escape Velocity is really, really good.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Zoe posted:

Can I get a link with more about this?

Suitaru posted:

Jesus christ, I loved Nova, but that was the only one I played (years ago) because I have a PC and didn't know how to get any of the others. For the love of god tell me where I can get these things

(also being vell-os owned gently caress the haters)

Uh, yeah, give me a second...

Ambrosia Software's Add-On Files page.

The files you are looking for are EV Classic for Nova, EV Override for Nova (both of which are on the first page), and Realm of Prey is here, just scroll down half the page(and it's all mashed together as RealmofPrey, which will defeat the search engine if you try to look for it and add spaces, like a normal human being). Obviously you'll need a legit copy of the game (I assume the demo won't be good enough?).

Edit: Ha, they are still selling Nova for 30 bucks. I originally bought this game 15 years ago. On the other hand, it has made its way on to every computer I've owned for the last 15 years, so...

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 14, 2016

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Oh for fucks sake.

I haven't played the game for a few years, and even though I stuck the files on this computer I'd never bothered to actually run them (given that, y'know, it's the same files and I bought the drat thing), and apparently it doesn't think I have a registered copy. Son of a bitch.

Time to see if support can find my old rear end info, I guess.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Tempest_56 posted:

For those interested, there's a similar game on Steam for free called Endless Sky.

Hey, yeah. Yeah, I watched about five seconds of the trailer and then hit download. I'm going to play some of this and then... trip report.

Edit: It's... it's a goddamned Escape Velocity clone, that's for sure. You even get the "Old Spaceship Captain shows you the ropes" tutorial. It actually has a number of quality of life improvements over the original as well, including showing you how much the stuff you're buying on planet A will sell for on planet B, provided you have information on your map about the planet. And it's not just a bunch of numbers, it shows the profit you get from it per unit so you can, at a glance, decide where to best sell your poo poo. If you set in a long hyperspace course, it will actually auto jump you to the final destination, provided you have the fuel to get there. Double click to automatically head for and land on a planet. The map contains a poo poo-ton of info. This is great. Really really great.

EDIT TWO: I just ended a two-hour binge of this game. In less than a year of game time I have three ships, two of the starting freighters and a second tier freighter, I have half a million in liquid assets, less than 400,000 in debt, and the bank is like "You need 2.4 million credits? We can set up a loan for that." The addition of a bank is goddamned amazing. I can take out a loan to buy a new ship, and then use the extra cargo space to pay it off really quickly. EV generally made it so you kind of had to trade in your old ship before you could consider getting a new one, which really slowed down the game. Pretty soon I'll be selling my smaller freighters and taking out a small loan so I can afford another freighter the same size as the one I've got, and once that's paid off? Getting something bigger and better. I haven't even hosed around with upgrading my ships, running from planet to planet pulling jobs works just fine. I really had to try hard to pull myself away from it, the pull of "One more jump" is really strong.

I will now cease talking about different games in the thread for this one.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 14, 2016

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

quote:

Iron Seed – Stay away from Iron Seed. Stay away and grieve. It’s about captaining a ship, flying from star to star, trading and mining and solving quests,

Sounds familiar so far, but why tell us to stay away-

quote:

but the gameplay is like swimming in tar: to explore a planet, you send probes down and then wait and stare at them for a minute and a half while they dash about.

Well, I guess I know where Mass Effect two got it, but-

quote:

The story has three games’ worth of ideas crammed in and they don’t fit. Take your ship. It has no FTL. Just dropping by the neighbourhood takes centuries. You and your crew aren’t brains in vats or uploads but chemical vats, and the manual tells you to keep backups in case the strain is too much for them. The date and travel times are displayed at several points, even though time can’t do anything to you, or you about it. The manual adds that all trade is barter because civilizations rise and fall too fast to use their currencies, and has a chart for planetary changes on a geological timescale. The atmosphere is sepulchral, and looking down on a green planet and realizing that I no longer had anything to do with it was one of the better moments in my gaming career.

Well that just sounds amazing, and since you can't contact multiple races within a short time period with each other, it avoids the normal space-game trope of-

quote:

And then the game throws it all overboard and has the plot be about forming a big alliance.

:what:

Thanks for the list, I need to go check out Space Rogue and Planet's Edge. I also need to get back to trying to work through the Genesis version of Starflight and Starflight TLC.

Endless Sky is still really good though.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Zoe posted:

Anyone played Prospector? It's a roguelike, but looks like it might scratch that space exploring itch. Doesn't look like it's been updated in awhile though.

Been meaning to play that for literal years, soo...

Trip report soon?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Phy posted:

"Chlorine trifluoride, ClF3, or “CTF” as the engineers insist on calling it, is a colorless gas, a greenish liquid, or a white solid. … It is also quite probably the most vigorous fluorinating agent in existence—much more vigorous than fluorine itself. … It is, of course, extremely toxic, but that's the least of the problem. It is hypergolic with every known fuel, and so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured. It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water—with which it reacts explosively. It can be kept in some of the ordinary structural metals—steel, copper, aluminum, etc.—because the formation of a thin film of insoluble metal fluoride which protects the bulk of the metal, just as the invisible coat of oxide on aluminum keeps it from burning up in the atmosphere. If, however, this coat is melted or scrubbed off, the operator is confronted with the problem of coping with a metal-fluorine fire. For dealing with this situation, I have always recommended a good pair of running shoes."

This is from the Things I Won't Work With blog, right? Such a great read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Mikl posted:

Here lies ZEX
He never scored

Actually, he quite clearly got hosed.

• Locked thread