Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

DentD posted:

Late 80s/early 90s sci fi genre adventure game? Sign me up. I'm blind to this but the opening has me hooked in so far.

Hmm. I think the captain is named Zaphod Beeblebrox and he is piloting the Heart of Gold.

This is the obvious winner. After all, the Everyman is a well known hero archetype, and... Zaphod's just this guy, y'know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Yup, this works perfectly. :)

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Yeah, why the hell not? In any case, one thing that games of this era love to do is make references, and Captain Tuf, funnily enough, is most likely one of them! Specifically, Haviland Tuf, of Tuf Voyaging, by George R R Martin. You want to watch out for that one, Captain Beeblebrox, I don't think he's to be trusted!

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Oh, the Spathi... :allears: The cheeriest paranoid space cowards in the known universe! I say we go Play Nice With The Spathi, buying 2 Turning Thrusters and 1 Antimatter Thruster, and gathering what resources we safely can along the way.

Heh, the Ultimate Evil... What a silly idea! :v:

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Oooh, sci-fi recommendations? [rubs hands together gleefully] As noted, Niven does let his... Er... Authorial Intent through a bit uncomfortably at times, but Draco Tavern is another good read in addition to the Known Space stuff (Well, most if it. Ringworld books 3 and 4 are p. much at the "Nobody wanted to say no" point), Colin Kapp's Unorthodox Engineers, on the one hand, has the same problem Asimov stuff has (The characters aren't fleshed out, more servants to the plot), but has some great and silly ideas, Callahan's Crosstime Saloon will always be mentioned as the archetypal "Weird tales told in a pub [Sci-Fi Edition]", as will Arthur C Clarke's Tales From The White Hart and Asimov's Azazel. I'd second Roadside Picnic because, while surreal, it's clever, and the speech the title's referencing is a rather more grounded look at how aliens would possibly view us than a lot of SF-F. Harry Harrison's Deathworld series also has some interesting worlds, characters, and the like, without the slow descent into mediocrity that plagued Robert Asprin's Phule series, or Harry's own Stainless Steel Rat and Bill The Galactic Hero (The Final Incoherent Adventure? Well, two of those words were correct, Harry. :( )

Finally, there's two particular SF series that I recommend: Edmund Cooper's Expendables series, and James White's Sector General collections. Both are very much artefacts of their time, and as such, have their problems. But they also have some cool and interesting things going on, and ideas.

That, plus the other (all good) recommendations in the thread, should extend an SF library quite happily. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Well, I hate to be an actual toad-racist, but considering how considered the rest of the VA is, the Dnyarri sounding like space Texans is... An interesting choice.

• Locked thread