Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Empire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Wait.

If it's the concordance of alien races, which race is the natives?

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Am I completely misremembering, or was there a Genesis (or Master System) version of the original Star Control?

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

FredMSloniker posted:

because Accolade rushed it out the door without giving the programmers time to optimize it (sayeth Wikipedia).

That would be consistent with the way Star Control 2 and 3 were handled.

I'm in the bizarre position of hoping Activision decides that Star Control is a property worthy of being monetized so that the series gets revived.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Honestly, SC3 introduced me to the series back in '98, so I can't bring myself to judge it too harshly. Eternal1s and all.

also the k'tang were pretty great

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Buy fuel tanks until you're out of money.

And go check on Vela and look for the Androsynth.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Tunicate posted:

Would it be possible for you to post the map that came in the game box? It's a nice way to show a 'state of the known galaxy' for the start of the game.

That's not the known galaxy, though. It's the "here's where all the dungeons and items are" spoiler map that shipped with the original Legend of Zelda.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
So... the ZFP coordinate system is Hawaiian words for different kinds of lava. Huh.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Not only can the Evil Ones kill you, but they're the most damaging organisms in the game (tied with one other that we'll meet eventually). Heaven help you if your lander comes down on top of one. Especially if you only brought one for the trip.

Anyway, let's head to Vela and check up on Mom and Dad.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Something I don't think has been pointed out by anyone yet is that "biologicals" don't take up any cargo space on the Precursor ship -- you're taking data, not the lifeforms themselves (which I guess you just scan and then boot out the airlock). There's a limit on how many the lander can carry at a time (it's the left bar in the lander's little HUD, with the right being traditional cargo space), but once the lander returns to the flagship, the biological data is, more or less, immediately converted to Credits.

Which is weird, since the Captain explicitly says that he has the Evil Ones in stasis.

Unless he was lying, but as we all know from Star Control 3 lying causes an immediate game over so that couldn't be the oh right that game didn't happen

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Go to Vela and say hello to the Androsynth.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Will you show what happens if you antagonize the Orz at some point?

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Anticheese posted:

Soooo what happens if you punch a hole in quasispace? Does the universe crash?

A few years later you get a third Star Control game by a different developer.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
If the hints dropped weren't big enough, Word of God is that the Melnorme are in fact the Mael-Num, the former allies of the Ur-Quan who vanished just in time to avoid annihilation.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Just sell your crew.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Loxbourne posted:

I don't know if we've seen it in this thread yet, but if you question the Kohr-Ah a bit they'll actually explain how their religion ties into this.

If I recall correctly, they believe in reincarnation, and they figure that if they kill everybody enough times, eventually everybody will reincarnate as Kohr-Ah and there'll be no need for more killing? Something like that?

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Ah, the Utwig Jugger. Also known as "the last ship you will ever need."

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Veloxyll posted:

I was more meaning the whole "Now we join with our allies to attack...You!" Cept they didn't follow through with it.

Pretty sure that wasn't a joke and the Utwig would literally destroy you on the spot if the Ultron told them to.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Seravadon posted:

This LP got me to play Star Control 2 and I loved the hell out of it. Is Star Control 3 worth playing at all? I know I have heard some less than stellar things about it but does it have any redeeming qualities?

Gameplay-wise, it has the Hypermelee and talking-to-wacky-alien-races aspects of Star Control 2, but did away completely with exploration. The story's premise is that hyperspace travel has broken down completely, and interstellar travel is only possible thanks to a new Precursor ship that lets you jump instantly from star to star. This means no more flying around, no more exploring planets, no more finding other races' spheres of influence and weaving around their ships. The map has been "upgraded" to a 3D starfield, but again, the lack of spheres of influence or distinguishing features means that it's very difficult to find your way around. In fact, the ship's computer will straight-up tell you where to go for pretty much the entire game, and you can get through the game just by typing in the stars it tells you and warping there.

To compensate for the removal of exploration they added a base-building aspect. You can create colonies for different races on different planets, and then they'll produce ships (of their race - no more starbase), fuel, RUs, and colony pods for making more colonies. It's completely superfluous and you can beat the game easily without building any colonies at all, and even if you choose to do it it's deathly boring.

That said, the talking-to-aliens part is still pretty good. Most of the returning races basically reprise all of their dialogue from the second game, and if you don't know what you're missing due to having played SC3 first (like I did), you're impressed by the amount of detail in the game's backstory. (This is rather less impressive if you have played Star Control 2, of course.) The new races don't really seem to "gel" as well as the ones from the second game, but there are some good moments (the standout being the enemy race that's dying of a plague; you set out to cure the plague and hopefully win their allegiance, but discover that the plague is actually a sentient, friendly race of microscopic organisms. Also the K'tang are good for some laughs.)

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Dabir posted:

SC3 doesn't include any ships in Hyper Melee that don't appear in the game, which is a bit of a massive spoiler since there's a couple of species missing that the manual says you brought along with you.

And there's one that is listed that you didn't bring along with you, in one of the game's dumber subplots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
The short summary of Star Control 1's gameplay is that you have a map of interconnected stars. The Alliance and the Hierarchy take turns moving individual ships between them. If ships from opposing sides end up in the same space, they fight it out in Hypermelee. You can build mines, colonies, or starbases at stars. Mines give you one Spacebuck per turn (SC1's version of RUs.) Colonies refill crew. Starbases build new ships. If you park unopposed at a star with the other side's installations, you'll destroy them. Play ends when one side or the other is wiped out.

The game came with a bunch of preset scenarios, making you deal with situations like a bunch of Shofixti Scouts vs. one Ur-Quan Dreadnought, et cetera.

It's a pretty straightforward beer-and-pretzels game. Aside from the Hypermelee part it'd work fine in board game format.

• Locked thread