Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Hudson Hawk ain't that bad. it's a fun little thing. it's basically a live action Lupin III movie, and the antagonists are all delightfully insane. it has some great well choreographed action.

Hudson Hawk is a solid 3.5/5

Fight me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Sorry op, but I'm not gonna watch it - on account of a lot of ppl with good opinions having said it's bad, and all the good movies that I haven't seen yet. Glad u enjoyed it tho :)

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Hat Thoughts posted:

Sorry op, but I'm not gonna watch it - on account of a lot of ppl with good opinions having said it's bad, and all the good movies that I haven't seen yet. Glad u enjoyed it tho :)

It is t a very long film. It is amusing. I just do t get why it's a benchmark for poo poo. I

I realize I'm not coming g across as the greatest defender it could have, but I firmly believe that watching Hudson Hawk is not a total waste of time.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Daniel Waters' screenwriting trajectory is one of the most spectacular Crash and Burns I've ever seen.

It's like Alex Proyas-level poo poo.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Loved this movie as a kid. Thought the singing while stealing was cool.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Robotnik Nudes, how drunk are you?

Cuz I am also pretty drunk and am ready to chainsmoke and agree.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I love Castle of Cagliostro a lot so I'll just watch that once a year or so instead of ever watching Hudson Hawk.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It starts supid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uZK7vrgz4Q

and stays supid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zZzhBShKkw

and is stupid.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Ah, man, it's defending Hudson Hawk gonna be the most controversial CineD opinion yet? 'Cause I'm loving in. It's a pretty fun movie that I did not have high hopes for. My roommate showed it to me, and I thought it had some real fun gags and performances.

I know it won't be accepted as great without a big effort-post-y essay, but I'm too tired for that right now.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Hudson Hawk infamously went over budget so badly and did such bad business at the box office that it was the final nail in TriStar's coffin and Sony absorbed them into Columbia Pictures as a result. Richard E Grant spent an entire chapter in his autobiography 'With Nails' writing about how crazy poo poo got behind the scenes.

There's a rumour that one of the contributing factors to the film blowing out its budget so much was that Bruce Willis insisted they spend four million on CGI-ing his receding hairline. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I realize I'm not coming g across as the greatest defender it could have, but I firmly believe that watching Hudson Hawk is not a total waste of time.

It already has a greatest defender. Here's Bruce Willis himself defending the film for 29 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEylLXFdcck

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Robotnik Nudes posted:

a total waste of time.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
bunch of sissies itt who didnt like hudson hawk

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Hudson Hawk is like one of the most misunderstood movies out there.

It's this goofy R-rated action comedy that was horridly mismarketed.

tl;dr - Hudson Hawk is awesome. :colbert:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DarkSol posted:

It's this goofy R-rated action comedy that was horridly mismarketed.

TriStar got real scared and tried to ride Die Hard 2's coattails

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

TriStar got real scared and tried to ride Die Hard 2's coattails

I think if they had marketed it properly, it would have done better. That said, I'm not sure how much better. I can't think of any slapstick action movies that were R around that time period.

The movie is clearly not meant to be taken seriously. I mean, there's a guy getting stoned off his rear end within the first five minutes of the movie! Literally, but come on!!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
If you're picking between this and Die Hard 2, Die Hard 2 is the safer bet but I'll ride for it. Hudson Hawk is insanely annoying.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I don't think the problem with HUDSON HAWK was the marketing, I think it was everything else. It's like Bruno's OCEAN'S 12 except that exactly one person is having fun.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
One of my friends in college was head over heels for this movie and he reintroduced it to me. At the time I remembered it as some nearly anonymous movie from my youth that spawned one of those NES games that seemingly only existed so that clueless grandmothers could buy it for soon to be disappointed children at Christmastime. It was... I dunno. It felt like an egotistic star wanted to create a wacky out there adventure, like Buckaroo Bonzai, but couldn't resist the urge to make it a charmless vanity piece. I didn't hate it though. Well, I sort of hated it. I hated it in a way that made me happy. I guess that also describes how I feel about Bruce Willis in general.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Look movies can only fail as hard as their pretensions. Hudson Hawk was badly bungled, but it had a few good parts and there is a really great version of it in some alternate dimension where the filmmakers settled on a tone and Bruce Willis is less of a gaping dickhole. Also, Andie MacDowell is particularly terrible and can only be good in movies as good as Groundhog Day.

The hint of goodness in a lovely movie irritates some people more than the rampaging shittiness of movies that are fully terrible and would never have been made in a perfect world.

Hawkie
Jul 20, 2010
I had a massive crush on Andie MacDowell until I saw her in this piece of poo poo.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

hey you want me to gently caress him

-what a guy says about another guy in hudon hawk movie film

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Consistent tone is for fuckers.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

DarkSol posted:

I think if they had marketed it properly, it would have done better. That said, I'm not sure how much better. I can't think of any slapstick action movies that were R around that time period.

Maybe Ford Fairlaine and Cool World, perhaps, maybe Dead Heat just a bit earlier.

It didn't seem like outside of Beverly Hills Cop that the action-comedy sort of found their audience until maybe post-MiB and Austin Powers and the Scary Movie franchise by the second half of the 90s.

edit: Looking at R-rated flicks of 1991, there are a lot of R-rated comedies that did lackluster business, espcially those that tried to have a crime/action angle to them. From a quick glance on BOMojo, you have Hudson Hawk, but also Marrying Man, VI Warchowski, Rage in Harlem, The Hard Way that were sort of infamous for their lack of success. Most of them would have probably been PG-13 affairs just decade later either due to studio cuts to make them more marketable or just changing social acceptance, I'd suspect.

Considering 2001 the only notable R-rated comedy films are sequels to the films that revived raunchy R-rated teen comedies like American Pie 2, Scary Movie 2, a Bridget Jones movie a bunch of more indie affairs or low-budget films that have probably been largely forgotten that maybe got greenlit due to the above said raunchy R-rated comedy boom.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 11, 2015

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Hudson Hawk being good or not is up for opinion but the reason why it's so notorious is it's a Studio Killer (Heaven's Gate with MGM and The Golden Compass with New Line are two others) which is the worst kind of bomb.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The chapter from Richard E Grant's book about this are pretty great, though it's really nothing that you couldn't already have guessed. It was a movie without any sort of real vision behind it that was constantly being changed all the way through shooting. I think it's clear that Willis wanted something that was going to be a little off-beat and I think more personality driven, and I dare say there's actually a fun idea in there somewhere (The heist scenes are actually fun) but the whole thing is just an utter mess that flounders desperately.

Also, Andie Macdowell was literally cast at the last minute since the original actress pulled out with a back injury. In fact they were already into principal shooting before she was cast, likely meaning that she was the only actress who was A) Sort of well known and B) Actually available at the time.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

zardoz was pretty good too

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Hudson Hawk ain't that bad. it's a fun little thing. it's basically a live action Lupin III movie, and the antagonists are all delightfully insane. it has some great well choreographed action.

Hudson Hawk is a solid 3.5/5

Fight me.

It's dum, bad, and not funny. Did you watch it yet?

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

ZenMaster posted:

zardoz was pretty good too

Pretty good?

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
so many wrong opinions. Hudson hawk is incredible.

Look at it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX_jCwNTKHU

Look at that loving glorious trainwreck. I love it.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
My father says it's his favorite Bruce Willis movie. I didn't believe him until I watched it and realized that he was right. It's probably the most fun Bruce Willis movie.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Gritty reboot

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Want me to rape them?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
It's a deeply flawed movie that couldn't decide what it wanted to be, but I'll always appreciate it for a bad guy getting his head cut off and Bruce Willis' character quipping "I guess he won't be attending that hat convention in July."

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
It's been so long since I've seen it, but it's sort of a proto-Austin Powers romp. You've got a lot of similar things going in in both films.

Characters who were once at the top of their game and emerge into a new era they don't fully understand. Musical numbers. 60s spy caper homages. I think In Like Flint sound effects were used in both and even Demi Moore was a producer for at least one of the Austin Powers films. We should get one of those companies that specialize in crossover comics of movie franchises to do a Hudson Hawk vs. Austin Powers with Goldmember hunting down Da Vinci's machine or something.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 12, 2015

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
I do not understand how anyone can hate Hudson Hawk. Do you hate fun?

Nateron
Mar 9, 2009

What spit?

Judakel posted:

I do not understand how anyone can hate Hudson Hawk. Do you hate fun?

No truer quote than this. This movie is fun and so low brow is good. It's like what National Treasure would be if it were made in the 90's.

Bunny, ball ball!

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

screenwritersblues posted:

My father says it's his favorite Bruce Willis movie. I didn't believe him until I watched it and realized that he was right. It's probably the most fun Bruce Willis movie.

The Last Boyscout and I would like a word with you.

Also, I assume you mean that it's the most fun Bruce Willis movie that is not one of the first three Die Hard films?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Ensign_Ricky posted:

The Last Boyscout and I would like a word with you.
Yeah, if you want dumb, fun and violent Willis just watch this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Hard
Feb 23, 2012

Are you talking to me or my ass?
BUNNY BALL BALL

Always made me laugh.

• Locked thread