Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
They could have just done big fancy green houses and not had to worry about dust and poo poo. Or like that Japanese guy that makes a billion lettuce per day in a warehouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

PureEvil6_13 posted:

Weird, I just read and article about how there is only one known person to ever live after being completely frozen. Jean Hilliard is her name and she came out of it just fine so I guess Applewhite could be on to something.

How is this even real? That photo is spooky as hell.

Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012
Did the robots have dicks? I don't think the movie touched on this, and I've been wondering ever since.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Merf?

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Also, they keep saying the crops are dying and food is running out, and they imply that earth is very sparsely populated now.

But why weren't the eggheads developing ways to turn literally anything into food? Humans can easily survive on plankton if we have it separated from the salt water. We could synthesize food from "inedible" plant sources, grow food in greenhouses using seeds from seed vaults, etc. You can't tell me corn was literally the only organism on earth that wasn't human.

And then you have non-plant food sources like molds, lichens, funguses, insects, etc. We have hundreds of trillions of tons of food just lying around before we even have to think about growing crops. So why not start farming the non-plant foods en masse?

Real and short answer: ultimately just about all life is sustained on energy from the sun, and plants are the only organism capable of converting solar energy into a usable form, which everything else has to obtain from the plant

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Applewhite posted:

It's established that Earth possesses reliable cryogenic technology, sophisticated AI, advanced robotics and generators capable of providing power to same for an extended period of time.

So, given all that, instead of going through all this rigmarole with colonizing alien planets and building massive space habitats, wouldn't it have been much, much easier to just build a huge bunker and freeze everyone inside while an army of robots re-terraform the Earth? Basically Wall-E only without the going into space part.

The people of that fictional movie future should have asked me for advice, imo. I would have set them straight.

Michael Caine's character literally tricked everyone with ideas into not doing anything productive, instead building a gigantic concrete spaceship under the ground that would rely on anti-gravity technology he personally knew would be impossible, he was just stringing them all along because he was totally sure he was the smartest motherfucker in the world and nobody else could possibly come up with any ideas that might help. Michael Caine is the villain of the film :shrug:

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
That said the technology that baffled me the most was they apparently have shuttlecraft capable and advanced enough to produce enough delta V that escaping multiple gravity wells is nbd but they can't figure out how to Monsanto some fuckin lettuce

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You don't have to freeze EVERYONE since NASA's plan B was essentially "lol send Anne Hathaway into space with frozen sperm".

I think them freezing just 10 or 20 people for repopulating Earth would work fine since their only backup plan was letting literally everyone die.

That was actually Plan A. Plan B was a snipe hunt to keep the smart plebes - smart, but not smart enough to figure out anything actually useful - from flipping out, they said this pretty explicitly.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

circ dick soleil posted:

How is this even real? That photo is spooky as hell.

The spooky dead climbers on Everest photos also own

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Also, they keep saying the crops are dying and food is running out, and they imply that earth is very sparsely populated now.

But why weren't the eggheads developing ways to turn literally anything into food? Humans can easily survive on plankton if we have it separated from the salt water. We could synthesize food from "inedible" plant sources, grow food in greenhouses using seeds from seed vaults, etc. You can't tell me corn was literally the only organism on earth that wasn't human.

And then you have non-plant food sources like molds, lichens, funguses, insects, etc. We have hundreds of trillions of tons of food just lying around before we even have to think about growing crops. So why not start farming the non-plant foods en masse?

The atmosphere was also becoming toxic for reasons I can't remember. The line that summed it up was "the people who don't starve to death will live long enough to see everyone else suffocate."

You don't have to freeze EVERYONE since NASA's plan B was essentially "lol send Anne Hathaway into space with frozen sperm".

I think them freezing just 10 or 20 people for repopulating Earth would work fine since their only backup plan was letting literally everyone die.

You need more than 10-20 people. Because humans suffered a major genetic bottleneck sometime in our past, we couldn't survive a second one. I think the minimum safe breeding population for humans is 1000+ people.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I thought it was just a superdisease killing more or less all plant life? And without so much as grass, everything becomes a giant desert dustbowl which finished off anything that was immune

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Skeleton Ape posted:

Guys, I just realized that if you think about this Christopher Nolan movie for more than 5 minutes it makes no sense :aaaaa:

The Dark Knight Rises was so dumb it made my head hurt

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

its no prometheus!!!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Anyway it's as pointless as discussing military strategy in Lord of the Rings, because the film is about hope and human spirit. It's not a STEM problem solving exercise like the Martian.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

That said the technology that baffled me the most was they apparently have shuttlecraft capable and advanced enough to produce enough delta V that escaping multiple gravity wells is nbd but they can't figure out how to Monsanto some fuckin lettuce

Yeah, this movie was dumb as gently caress

Also, the Yankees are a travelling baseball team in post apocalyptic Idaho or whatever

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Strategic Tea posted:

Anyway it's as pointless as discussing military strategy in Lord of the Rings, because the film is about hope and human spirit. It's not a STEM problem solving exercise like the Martian.

The theme of the movie is that redheads can be pretty hot.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

It tried really hard to make you think it was though :shrug:

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

It's the same crit that Ray Bradbury always got. People hated his weak sci-fi aspects, but he even said he didn't care about that because his stories were about people.

it goes like this -
level 1: you think this christopher nolan movie is brilliant. confusing at times but truly a piece of cinema for the thinking man.
level 2: you think this christopher nolan movie is clunky and full of plot holes. you hate all those idiots who like his movies and dream every night of the heights in art and science we could achieve if those retards who think his movies are smart didn't exist.
level 3: you're a grown up

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

inception was the dumbest poo poo ive ever seen and the score was a atrocious

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.

Applewhite posted:

wouldn't it have been much, much easier to just build a huge bunker and freeze everyone inside while an army of robots re-terraform the Earth?

no, actually

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

Would

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

etalian posted:

The spooky dead climbers on Everest photos also own

Those people are actually dead though.

They're not living people trapped in a dead person's body.

Most people can recognize there's a distinction.

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 10, 2015

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

B. Birdsworth posted:

no, actually

Pls elaborate on how space travel is easier/safer than hole-digging.

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

Yeah, time pardoxes I can accept but this was so much bullshit

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

i thought it was ok if completely unrealistic until they started deep dicking the black hole. um u dumb fucker u should be torn asunder into so many atoms not in a gay bookcase room

like what are the chances this stupid black hole led him to a 4d representation of the space behind his idiot childs room, and also into the past, so the whole time the ghost was he!!!

and he programmed her watch via love

e: seriously I had a good time but i got really embarrassed I liked it once they started going on about an EMOTION being the most powerful thing ever

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Applewhite posted:

You need more than 10-20 people. Because humans suffered a major genetic bottleneck sometime in our past, we couldn't survive a second one. I think the minimum safe breeding population for humans is 1000+ people.
I'm pretty sure that that's not how genetic bottlenecks work, that you have a limit that adds up for all of history.

Really a hundred or so is probably fine. You could even get by with less, particularly if you screened for carriers of genetic diseases, but.

Butyraceous posted:

e: seriously I had a good time but i got really embarrassed I liked it once they started going on about an EMOTION being the most powerful thing ever
Exactly. I could have tolerated that a lot better if it were just her character being a bit of a weirdo and someone else asked what the hell she was smoking, but no, that's the scene's last word. Love is a four-dimensional force.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Strudel Man posted:

I'm pretty sure that that's not how genetic bottlenecks work, that you have a limit that adds up for all of history.

My memory of what I read is hazy, but I believe it's connected to why the Y chromosome is all shriveled.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I don't think the freezing technology in Interstellar was like hollywood cryo-freezing where your life cycle is halted, but rather just significantly slowed down.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I don't think the freezing technology in Interstellar was like hollywood cryo-freezing where your life cycle is halted, but rather just significantly slowed down.

I'd wager slowed down enough to survive sleeping through an extended terraforming cycle.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

ahhh weve unlocked cheat codes for loving gravity but we cant cure some lovely unknown macguffin thats killing the plants!!! maybe try watering the plants????

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 10, 2015

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
Merf?

MERF!

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

more like intersmeller lol. directed by christopher lollin

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Applewhite posted:

My memory of what I read is hazy, but I believe it's connected to why the Y chromosome is all shriveled.
No, that's mostly because the Y chromosome is never paired with another Y, so it can't undergo recombination nearly so much as most chromosomes do, making it more susceptible to mutations and deletions. It is also more prone to population size-based genetic drift because there's only 1/4th as many Y chromosomes as there are of the others, but the recombination thing is the biggest factor.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 10, 2015

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Strudel Man posted:

No, that's mostly because the Y chromosome is never paired with another Y, so it can't undergo recombination nearly so much as most chromosomes do, making it more susceptible to mutations and deletions. It is also more prone to population size-based genetic drift because there's only 1/4th as many Y chromosomes as there are of the others, but the recombination thing is the biggest factor.

Interesting!
So how long until it shuts down completely?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Why did the clowns even build the huge spaceship on earth , they coulda just sent it up in modules into space and assembled it there and they wouldn't have needed some magic anti gravity bullshit

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
Super cool AI drones powered forever by the sun will police the earth.... after that everything about this movie sucked.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Butyraceous posted:

i thought it was ok if completely unrealistic until they started deep dicking the black hole. um u dumb fucker u should be torn asunder into so many atoms not in a gay bookcase room

like what are the chances this stupid black hole led him to a 4d representation of the space behind his idiot childs room, and also into the past, so the whole time the ghost was he!!!

and he programmed her watch via love

I think the implication was that aliens/future humanity had engineered the bookcase room to save the day, as well as the original wormhole near saturn. ~The power of love~ was just the thing that kept them going when it seemed hopeless, praise yoomanity etc etc

Which gives the film an even dumber message really. Never give up and aliens will save you? But only if you EMOTION enough to get through an unnecessary mountain of poo poo first?

I enjoyed the film but yeah thinking too hard about it leads to sorrow

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

In The Martian the astronauts are trying to escape a storm that's threatening to tip over their launch vehicle and blows Matt Damon away but the atmosphere on Mars is ~150 times less dense than on earth so the wind would have had an equivalent force of a 1 mph wind on Earth. All the wind can do is move around very fine particles of dust you won't really have to worry about being impaled by a satellite dish.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Jellidelic posted:

It's the same crit that Ray Bradbury always got. People hated his weak sci-fi aspects, but he even said he didn't care about that because his stories were about people.

this except christopher nolan is also poo poo at writing people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
Intershitlar

*lovingly strokes Neil degrassi Tyson doll made of earwax and hair*

• Locked thread