Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Clockwerk posted:

The Elysium wolf man hybrid is from the original script iirc. So yes he turned into a furry, but the world wasn't ready for that reality, so we got a boring robot or something instead I can't remember

I know I watched that movie, but it made virtually zero impact on me. Something something South Africa, something something secret data, something something space platform, gunfight, main guy dies I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Interstellar would've been much better if it was just two hours of Crazy Astronaut Man Matt Damon running amok.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Introducing Matt Damon in the middle of the movie was really jarring. You've had all this time to get used to Matthew Mcconaughey and Anne Hathaway being their characters, and then suddenly in the middle of deep space it's Matt Damon out of nowhere.

DirtyMick
Feb 1, 2014

Applewhite posted:

Which was ferrying everyone on earth up to a rotating cylinder whose construction relied on hypothetical technology that wouldn't even have been developed if it hadn't been for an astronaut traveling back in time and coding the formula into his daughter's watch?

Yeah, simplicity itself.

My plan involves digging a big hole and filling it with technology that already existed in the movie.

Except the real plan was sucker people into building the cylinders while also sending some embryo's through the wormhole to a hopefully habitable planet. Suckers die, embryos live. Fortunately for the suckers ol' MUUUURPH! looked a little more closely at her watch.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Seriously though, The Martian is basically "what if Matt Damon's character in Interstellar wasn't a whiny useless wad of dicks"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

loquacius posted:

Seriously though, The Martian is basically "what if Matt Damon's character in Interstellar wasn't a whiny useless wad of dicks"

Interstellar is actually the sequel to The Martian.

Matt Damon survives mars but in the next mission turns into a complete space pussy.

Also Interstellar they say Damon's character was the greatest astronaut and survive so it's obviously the same character as in The Martian.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
interstellar is also the prequel to after earth

Not A Bear
Nov 4, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Introducing Matt Damon in the middle of the movie was really jarring. You've had all this time to get used to Matthew Mcconaughey and Anne Hathaway being their characters, and then suddenly in the middle of deep space it's Matt Damon out of nowhere.

I thought the best thing was that Matt Damon's character was named Mann

(Their enemy was Man all along!)

:eng99:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Not A Bear posted:

He was more an incidental threat. The enemy was an uncaring universe.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Filthy Hans posted:

Yes, it's more of a Snowpiercer if we're being honest with ourselves

I enjoyed the poo poo out of Snowpiercer

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Filthy Hans posted:

In The Walking Dead why didn't they light the pit on fire?

I have no idea. I don't watch the Walking Dead.

Also, what's the deal with that ocean planet? Were they just walking on the surface or what?

Ether Drunk
Jan 31, 2007

Better ending would be if everyone died and cool robots inherited the earth.

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
we have very advanced "boat" technology today, why are places like SF experiencing such ridiculous housing shortages? just build a boat in the bay or some poo poo. have it be under water, we can do that. in fact, why don't we have massive underwater cities as is? whatever that reasons, that's why op, that's why

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Elysium was poo poo

It had like two cool action scenes but they were only a few seconds long. Everything else was garbage

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

rabble rabble posted:

we have very advanced "boat" technology today, why are places like SF experiencing such ridiculous housing shortages? just build a boat in the bay or some poo poo. have it be under water, we can do that. in fact, why don't we have massive underwater cities as is? whatever that reasons, that's why op, that's why

Some people are living on cramped boats in SF for $700 to $800 a month since the housing prices are ridiculous.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DD7VIKZnGA

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Also, they keep saying the crops are dying and food is running out, and they imply that earth is very sparsely populated now.

But why weren't the eggheads developing ways to turn literally anything into food? Humans can easily survive on plankton if we have it separated from the salt water. We could synthesize food from "inedible" plant sources, grow food in greenhouses using seeds from seed vaults, etc. You can't tell me corn was literally the only organism on earth that wasn't human.

And then you have non-plant food sources like molds, lichens, funguses, insects, etc. We have hundreds of trillions of tons of food just lying around before we even have to think about growing crops. So why not start farming the non-plant foods en masse?

They imply that there was a World War 3, and come right out and say that there's a massive climate change catastrophe happening, which means the food chain would be super hosed up since if the oceans get too warm the plankton will die.

They also heavily imply humanity has taken a massive turn away from science and technology, like how Matthew McConaughey's wife died of a tumor because there were no more MRI machines, and how his kid was being heavily encouraged by the school to give up math and become a farmer, schools teaching kids that the Moon landings were faked so that people would stop trying to be something other than farmers, etc.

So there probably weren't too many eggheads left.

And they don't say there was nothing left besides corn, just that corn was the only staple food crop left that was thus far immune to the blight.

Applewhite posted:

I'm 100% certain you are misinterpreting his quote.

No, the black scientist is many years older when McConaughey and Hathaway return.

edit: Interstellar has plenty of problems and plot holes, but this isn't one of them.

Hell, right now we grow more than enough food to feed everyone yet people are still starving to death. The combination of war, climate catastrophe, and a luddite takeover would mean global starvation.

edit 2: but some sort of organism or whatever that's able to infect every plant species in the world is dumb.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 11, 2015

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

A misanthrope posted:

is the movie good? i did not watch it

just like all nolan films not worth the time it takes to watch

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Space colonization is a thing a prosperous civilization like we have now can do and while it might eventually solve our all eggs in one basket vulnerability that would be on really long timescales. The message scifi keeps doing where we gently caress up Earth only to find salvation in space is a lovely one. We can't do space if Earth isn't in good shape.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Doc Block posted:

No, the black scientist is many years older when McConaughey and Hathaway return.

This was just one of the many, many horrors of Interstellar.

- Oh hey we made it back to the ship!

- You've been gone 20 years.

- Wow.....okay, no biggie what's next?

- It's time for your VERY EMOTIONAL CRYING SCENE.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Why was okra so important?

Did the black hole teach him how to plant okra?

I didn't get it.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Elukka posted:

Space colonization is a thing a prosperous civilization like we have now can do and while it might eventually solve our all eggs in one basket vulnerability that would be on really long timescales. The message scifi keeps doing where we gently caress up Earth only to find salvation in space is a lovely one. We can't do space if Earth isn't in good shape.

a planet is so much loving bigger than a basket you pathetic white nerd

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
literally name a single event that could wipe out life on earth

there simply isn't one

space will never be colonized in any meaningful manner, there's nowhere to go

best we could do is launch our own panspermia program knowing that by the time earth has been absorbed into the sun we got some mold growing on a planet somewhere else

Ether Drunk
Jan 31, 2007

Modest Mao posted:

there simply isn't one

best we could do is launch our own panspermia program knowing that by the time earth has been absorbed into the sun we got some mold growing on a planet somewhere else

I have a panspermia program ready for launch

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
ur a human being hth

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Junkfist posted:

Why was okra so important?

Did the black hole teach him how to plant okra?

I didn't get it.

it wasn't? the one neighbor farmer was growing okra and The Blight killed his crop, and apparently that was the last crop of okra that anyone would be able to grow since now the Mysterious Plague That Kills All Staple Crops had spread to okra, leaving only corn (OR SO THEY THOUGHT!!!)

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I feel like at some point the script probably attributed the environmental catastrophe more specifically to humans loving it up beyond repair with pollution, but for some reason they decided to go with the blight explanation instead. It felt kind of political. There are all these things that hint at climate change and other existing environmental issues such that someone receptive to those issues assumes that is what is being depicted, but the script actually attributes it all to the poorly explained plant disease. It goes out of its way to avoid saying that the disaster is caused by humans and is related to real world issues, and instead puts it on a disease that humans didn't cause and are only responsible for in the sense that they weren't industrious enough to solve the problem.

I can't remember exactly but at the beginning of the movie it even felt like they were trying to suggest science denialism and environmentalism are related, with the teacher who lectures mcconaughey about space travel being propaganda saying something like they just need to learn to manage their resources better and settle for a simpler lifestyle and mcconaughey talking about how mankind used to dream bigger and solve problems rather than giving up. So basically it acts like it's cheerleading the scientific quest to improve the world and solve problems, but it does so while dodging the actual science related to the catastrophes it depicts and instead suggests that if we try hard enough we'll find a miracle solution to our looming environmental problems that doesn't require us to moderate our lifestyles at all. If you really read into that message as it relates to real world issues it's basically saying that we should reject efforts to solve our environmental problems that require us to consume less, that such solutions are equivalent to giving up on science.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Clockwerk posted:

The Elysium wolf man hybrid is from the original script iirc. So yes he turned into a furry, but the world wasn't ready for that reality, so we got a boring robot or something instead I can't remember
Okay yeah I was looking at a lot of Elysium concept art before I saw the movie and I must have fallen asleep at the end because I saw Matt Damon fighting something that was like this but was more wolf like and had more servoes and robot parts on:

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Modest Mao posted:

A nearby supernova.
Or a star unexpectedly collapsing resulting in an axial gamma ray burst that just happens to be pointed right at us.

Both things could potentially sterilize the planet, but both are unlikely to happen in the near future.

There are probably a bunch of other (equally unlikely but not impossible) things? I dunno.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Modest Mao posted:

there simply isn't one

I Am developing a self replicating nano virus capable of destroying all life on earth

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

guys, guys, guys,

read a book, it will make you much happier

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Zzulu posted:

I Am developing a self replicating nano virus capable of destroying all life on earth

jokes on you, the virus is a life form

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Moon Atari posted:

I feel like at some point the script probably attributed the environmental catastrophe more specifically to humans loving it up beyond repair with pollution, but for some reason they decided to go with the blight explanation instead. It felt kind of political. There are all these things that hint at climate change and other existing environmental issues such that someone receptive to those issues assumes that is what is being depicted, but the script actually attributes it all to the poorly explained plant disease. It goes out of its way to avoid saying that the disaster is caused by humans and is related to real world issues, and instead puts it on a disease that humans didn't cause and are only responsible for in the sense that they weren't industrious enough to solve the problem.

I can't remember exactly but at the beginning of the movie it even felt like they were trying to suggest science denialism and environmentalism are related, with the teacher who lectures mcconaughey about space travel being propaganda saying something like they just need to learn to manage their resources better and settle for a simpler lifestyle and mcconaughey talking about how mankind used to dream bigger and solve problems rather than giving up. So basically it acts like it's cheerleading the scientific quest to improve the world and solve problems, but it does so while dodging the actual science related to the catastrophes it depicts and instead suggests that if we try hard enough we'll find a miracle solution to our looming environmental problems that doesn't require us to moderate our lifestyles at all. If you really read into that message as it relates to real world issues it's basically saying that we should reject efforts to solve our environmental problems that require us to consume less, that such solutions are equivalent to giving up on science.

Same

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Modest Mao posted:

there simply isn't one

It's kind of a wet blanket but this is basically true, any solutions that you came up with in order to travel through space to another solar system and survive there are just wayyyyyyyy more applicable to surviving where we already are.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Moon Atari posted:

You are the guy- the one who is thinking about a Nolan film

Frackie Robinson posted:

OP there was nothing to suggest they had the technology to put people in suspended animation, i.e. where they wouldn't age. They could go into hibernation but they would still age at the same rate, that's why the black science astronaut said he didn't feel right "sleeping his life away". So if everyone went into hibernation they would just all be dead in 80 years, which wouldn't be enough to terraform a planet. You bitch idiot

wtf I never got the impression that they aged when they were suspended, what a lovely movie

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Not A Bear posted:

I actually laughed out loud at this part. Considering his actions in the film it just makes it worse.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah if you didn't know that the movie was poo poo before that, Matt Damon being named "Mann" smacked you in the face with it.

Which is too bad, because he's literally the best part of the entire movie.

quote:

Brand: Dr. Mann, do not open the inner hatch. I repeat, do not open the inner hatch! I repeat, do not open...
Dr. Mann: Brand? I don't know what he said to you, but I am taking command of the Endurance, and then we can talk about completing the mission.
Brand: Dr. Mann, listen to me...
Dr. Mann: This is not about my life, or Cooper's life; this is about all mankind!
[opening the inner hatch]
Dr. Mann: There is a moment...
[the airlock explodes]

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Remind me: at the end, was humanity just going to abandon the astronauts that had been sent out to the three planets? Like they were just going to leave Anne Hathaway on that planet, despite knowing that her and maybe her fiance were there?

Or would her fiance have been long dead by that point? I forget

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

rabble rabble posted:

The housing shortage is intentional. Property owners block all attempts at construction to maintain their inflated property values

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah those poor, altruistic condo developers lol

• Locked thread