Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Peace Frog posted:

I'm intrigued by the premise, but I have to say I find the involvement of that slimeball Mark Boal pretty gross.

I guess if you loved Zero Dark Thirty you'll disagree.
I'll bite, why is he a slimeball?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I loved zero dark thirty. Boal is the man

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I'm interested to hear where this is going since as a non-American this story is pretty unknown to me. Obviously the guy comes off as a complete moron at first glance, but I'm keen to see how the "zoom" thing comes in, where Bergdahl becomes a small unrecognisable piece in a much much larger story.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

webmeister posted:

I'm interested to hear where this is going since as a non-American this story is pretty unknown to me. Obviously the guy comes off as a complete moron at first glance, but I'm keen to see how the "zoom" thing comes in, where Bergdahl becomes a small unrecognisable piece in a much much larger story.

I hope they take the story in a bunch of weird directions, because otherwise there's no point in spending that much time on it. The Berghdahl story, on the surface, is a lot of soundbite nonsense. First this missing guy was fetishized as an ARE TROOPS hero, except oh wait he kinda did a dumb thing so then the exact same people who previously had jerked off to how brave he was were saying how he's literally worse than Osama bin Laden. like some of the politicians who rail against him now still have up their crying-eagle POW tweets about him

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I think the show is already past a lot of that surface stuff, but I do hope we come around to the political reactions eventually. That stuff will be more interesting once we have a more in depth view of Bergdahl and the entire situation he put himself and the army in.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

OldTennisCourt posted:

I actually saw a few people honestly complain that there wasn't 'a concrete ending'. It's really weird seeing people treat a real life murder like it's a case on CSI and then complain when real life isn't as cut and dry as TV.

What cracks me up is the amateur sleuths being all let down. Oh no you can't pull out your super secret fan maps and theories!

Eh. I mean yes, it's real life, and not an episode of CSI- but murder cases do have a level of drama that is, for the lack of a better word, entertaining. It's like the OJ case. Yes, Nicole died a horrible death and honestly, the case should have been private but I think it's pretty normal to want answers and find it nail biting to see how it all went down.

That being said, you shouldn't expect an "answer" or epiphany when it's real life, sometimes you will never get it, but I can see why people would find entertainment in wanting to solve a murder case.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

I actually saw a few people honestly complain that there wasn't 'a concrete ending'. It's really weird seeing people treat a real life murder like it's a case on CSI and then complain when real life isn't as cut and dry as TV.

What cracks me up is the amateur sleuths being all let down. Oh no you can't pull out your super secret fan maps and theories!

But then again you have the odd thing like The Jinx where you get a pretty concrete ending, under the most surprising bizarre circumstances.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

In episode 2 Sarah Calls the Taliban

In episode 3 Sarah Calls the ghost of General George washington to discuss the US Military

In episode 4 Sarah Calls god to find out which religion is right.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

In episode 2 Sarah Calls the Taliban

In episode 3 Sarah Calls the ghost of General George washington to discuss the US Military

In episode 4 Sarah Calls god to find out which religion is right.
In episode 12, cell phone towers are unable to conclusively put God at the scene of the founding of the Taliban.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

TheFallenEvincar posted:

In episode 12, cell phone towers are unable to conclusively put God at the scene of the founding of the Taliban.

but God just seems so nice on the phone :swoon:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Episode 13: Wait a minute... Adnan did it after all.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
A new report indicates Pakistani families have been known to disappear their young sons who perform honor killings...INTO THE TALIBAN (this is not about Islam, it is about their culture!!!)
Maybe Bergdahl has the smoking gun on this Adnan business and it's the only reason Sarah began this charade :tinfoil:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

she'll only get props from me if she stretches it out for like 5 seasons, then somehow ties the adnan smoking gun into a "the aristocrats" joke

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
WAIT A loving MINUTE...does Bowe Bergdahl have an alibi for the 13th of January, 1999?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

In this episode, Sarah proves she's insane and talks to terrorists

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
From the 2nd episode

"I asked a former soldier who regularly read such messages what 'LoL' means in this context. And he said the only meaning that seems plausible to him is "laugh out loud"

Aside from the insanity of Koenig it's really really boring.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Its not the most exciting episode but still gives you a lot of background about what the soldiers in his platoon as well as others felt during this time when they were looking for him which is very important context. These dudes went through poo poo (literally and figuratively) to find this guy.

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene
A good episode and I can't wait to see where this story goes.

Season 1 I didn't have the "pleasure" of following along with the internet sleuths, and binged it all over a couple days. I found the story compelling, and figured there wouldn't be a tidy resolution. The story was just as compelling as this one will be for entirely different reasons. Going week to week is going to be hard as hell.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Im starting to think that Bowe should probably go to jail for all the poo poo he put everyone through in the name of trying to be a real life Jason Bourne.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I thought it was pretty interesting to be honest - seeing the differences between Bergdahl's own account versus that of the Taliban (and then the idea that neither of them might be true). And it seems like the second half of the episode (talking about how much the soldiers come to hate him) will be pretty crucial down the track. Especially considering the news at the start, with the army progressing to a full court-martial.

And that story about the special ops team raiding a specially booby-trapped house made my hair stand on end.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
'And it was all bullshit...because he's in Pakistan.'

gently caress, man. Funny and depressing as all hell.

It is legit interesting to see the lengths the US military will go to get back one guy though. Curious if Sarah's going to get to a cost/benefit analysis of the prisoner exchange...

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003
Sarah on idiot Bergdahl: Some might say that his struggle gets at the heart of what it truly means to be a soldier

Sarah on soldiers going through hell trying to find idiot Bergdahl: Some might say to quit your whining, this is what you signed up for, bucko

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

SaTaMaS posted:

Sarah on soldiers going through hell trying to find idiot Bergdahl: Some might say to quit your whining, this is what you signed up for, bucko

she's not wrong though

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

SaTaMaS posted:

Sarah on idiot Bergdahl: Some might say that his struggle gets at the heart of what it truly means to be a soldier

Some might say both of those things

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

SaTaMaS posted:

Some might say that you don't get why someone would use the phrase "some might say". But those people might be missing the mark. Let's look at it a different way...

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I thought it was good and cool how all the army guys were openly talking about how they had planned to murder bergdahl

are troops :911:

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I'm really enjoying this season's pacing and subject so far. I don't think it's what anyone was expecting, and it's not the type of situation that often gets an in-depth look. Looking forward to hearing what lies beneath the surface.

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer
I find it interesting the search was conducted in such a manner. I wish they would of spent a little bit more time on the reckless and ineffective nature of the search. It seems disingenuous to blame Bergdahl specifically for the effects of the search, especially since this will come into play later as hinted at at the end of the episode.

It definitely seems she'll be talking the political nature of Bergdahl's disappearance/recovery pretty heavily later. I look forward to hearing that.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
poo poo pants guy is a loving hero and I sincerely mean that.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Hollis Brown posted:

poo poo pants guy is a loving hero and I sincerely mean that.

Absolutely. Holy poo poo did this episode make me hate Bowe.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

my favorite tidbit was how the troops running around asking about him the day after the disappearance, might be the reason he got captured in the first place :allears:

and, of course, all hail the mail....khimp?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
This season is kinda boring and pointless so far. And I really can't stand the contrived way Koenig imitates Ira Glass' weird cadence. Short sentences. Frequent pauses. I wonder if these NPR people do it out of some weird admiration for him or what. its quite bizarre. http://www.theonion.com/article/ira-glass-exhausted-from-doing-every-single-voice--37383

IDOLA
Sep 17, 2005

:-)
I've been enjoying this new season - from a UK point of view we heard nothing about Bowe Bergdahl until he was returned to the US and in 24 hours reports went from "The US are stoked to have him back" to "Everyone is using this to get at Obama again!"
I'm really interested in the promised examination of the wider implications of this - the hows and whys of Bowe walking off and his intentions are no-where near as interesting to me as the procedural aspects of how they searched for him and the prisoner swap was made.

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene
Another cool episode. It's incredibly hard to empathize with an escape situation because it all seems so surreal. Really compelling episode though.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tucked-In T-Shirt posted:

Another cool episode. It's incredibly hard to empathize with an escape situation because it all seems so surreal. Really compelling episode though.

I'm actually feeling the opposite, where the only thing keeping my interest anymore is empathising with Bowe. He's a dumb rear end, but this is a really Herculean task he went through and would make a good movie like that one about the guy who cut his arm off after being trapped under a rock. Dude had some true grit to make it through this.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

I'm really enjoying the season so far as I followed the story as it broke and watched the headline morph through the following months. This is the first time we're getting Bowe's side of the story which is obviously very important and while I think he's a idiot I understand why he may have done what he did.

Not looking at your compass for two hours during that trek seems like a really big deal and seems to be where the stories that Bowe and the Taliban start to diverge on the circumstances surrounding his capture. It's kind of hard to believe even as rookie as in over his head as he was that you would "forget" to look at your only loving tool to get you to point B.

That said the fact that a lot of high ranking officials don't think he should be punished any further or at most get a slap on the wrist seems to point to them believing his side of the story and possibly understanding why he did what he did and already served his time. Excited to hear the rest of this play out.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Even the host is starting to sound bored. This would be an interesting enough listen on its own but its not nearly as compelling as season 1 or even the same kind of show really

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The only problem I have with the show is the swearing. It doesn't bother me, and if you're quoting someone, sure, don't change what they say, but as the host Sarah swearing is keeping me from being able to recommend the show to family members who would be less accepting of that sort of thing.

I disagree that it isn't the same kind of show though. It's doing exactly what it claims to. Tell a story week by week.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

GutBomb posted:

The only problem I have with the show is the swearing. It doesn't bother me, and if you're quoting someone, sure, don't change what they say, but as the host Sarah swearing is keeping me from being able to recommend the show to family members who would be less accepting of that sort of thing.

I disagree that it isn't the same kind of show though. It's doing exactly what it claims to. Tell a story week by week.

The argument there is that the genre of story has changed so drastically, it's putting people off. Going from a mystery whodunit to a military test of character story is a far enough leap that it could easily alienate a big portion of the audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

rotinaj posted:

The argument there is that the genre of story has changed so drastically, it's putting people off. Going from a mystery whodunit to a military test of character story is a far enough leap that it could easily alienate a big portion of the audience.

That's honestly why I haven't been listening, after the first episode I just really didn't care that much about the story. I might listen to it later if it sounds like it gets interesting but right now it doesn't pull me in.

• Locked thread