Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
If you haven't been listening past the first episode how do you know it's not interesting?

If it takes word of mouth, here's some. It's fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Can we all agree, at this point, that Adnan definitely did it?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I still have reasonable doubts based on the evidence presented.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Hat Thoughts posted:

I think guy that shat his pants probably did it

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Scylo posted:

I think guy that shat his pants probably did it

Mailkimp did it

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I think my big problem with this season is that Bowe is a loving idiot, and even if his intentions were slightly noble his entire plan wasted millions of taxpayer dollars, put countless US soldiers lives in danger, and literally had 0 percent chance at succeeding.

Like, I feel bad for the guy, but as I listen I cannot get how monumentally stupid this man is out of the back of my head.

Dear Sergio
Sep 7, 2008

We are a couple, not a duo
The cool part about this podcast is that no one has any incentive to tell the actual truth and no one listening seems to give a poo poo about that.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dear Sergio posted:

The cool part about this podcast is that no one has any incentive to tell the actual truth and no one listening seems to give a poo poo about that.

That is actually cool because it makes for a better story.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

I think my big problem with this season is that Bowe is a loving idiot, and even if his intentions were slightly noble his entire plan wasted millions of taxpayer dollars, put countless US soldiers lives in danger, and literally had 0 percent chance at succeeding.

Like, I feel bad for the guy, but as I listen I cannot get how monumentally stupid this man is out of the back of my head.

Eh again if he didn't "forget" to check his compass for 2 hours it's possible he could have made it to the FOB or at the very least been picked up by the US somewhere once the DUSTWUN was called. Who knows I guess. If we're to believe his initial story of why all this happened in the first place then he seemingly was an idiot for having illusions of grandeur and not just a complete all around idiot.

My take at least. Granted those are really exaggerated quotes around the whole forgetting to check your only tool to get you to your location.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hat Thoughts posted:

Adnan did it.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

I still have reasonable doubts based on the evidence presented.

I agree. There was pretty much no evidence presented at trial. The entire thing hinged on "this drug-dealer he knows says he did it." There were a lot of coincidences pointing his way, but nothing really overwhelming that would get me to vote for a conviction. Maybe in a civil case, where the standard is "preponderance of the evidence," but I don't see "beyond a reasonable doubt." Also, maybe I'm naive, but I find it hard to believe someone sticks to his story that flawlessly for over a decade and never slips up once.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Adnan did it.

Probably. But if you were a juror on that case and voted to convict on the evidence in the show, you're a bad person.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hat Thoughts posted:

Maybe, but Adnan wasn't proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, his trial was unconstitutional and he deserves to be fairly tried with proper legal representation.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

for me this episode finally got into the meat of the story. i haven't followed the story beyond the basic "dude went off, was Taliban captive for five years", so this was the first i had heard about his actual captivity. just complete insanity, and this only covered the first year. as much as bowe's initial plan was lolbad, my impression so far of his captivity was that he really did make some effort in different ways to be unhelpful to the captors. my favorite part was where he made friends with that dog and it started sleeping next to him lol

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Let's talk to a person who clearly has delusions of grandeur about their time in captivity. But because he doesn't want to talk to us, let's use the tapes in which he talked to a screenwriter about his story and let's just use that as facts.

And I thought season 1 was shoddy journalism with a personal agenda.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Jurgan posted:

I agree. There was pretty much no evidence presented at trial. The entire thing hinged on "this drug-dealer he knows says he did it." There were a lot of coincidences pointing his way, but nothing really overwhelming that would get me to vote for a conviction. Maybe in a civil case, where the standard is "preponderance of the evidence," but I don't see "beyond a reasonable doubt." Also, maybe I'm naive, but I find it hard to believe someone sticks to his story that flawlessly for over a decade and never slips up once.

You are really misinformed here. There was plenty of very strong evidence at the trial.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The entire war was a waste of taxpayers money and the search for Bergdahl was a drop in the bucket lol.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

African AIDS cum posted:

You are really misinformed here. There was plenty of very strong evidence at the trial.

Possibly. I'm not one of the internet detectives- I listened to the whole thing after it was already over, and it's entirely possible I missed something. But it sure sounded like the entire thing hinged on Jay's testimony.

Dear Sergio
Sep 7, 2008

We are a couple, not a duo

Jurgan posted:

Possibly. I'm not one of the internet detectives- I listened to the whole thing after it was already over, and it's entirely possible I missed something. But it sure sounded like the entire thing hinged on Jay's testimony.

Yeah the something you missed is the part where he killed the girl.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
All you serial season one people should leave. This is for discussions of army men making GBS threads themselves. When Bowe shits himself you post in this thread that he is stupid and or lying. When army men looking for Bowe poo poo themselves post that they are heroes.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Dear Sergio posted:

Yeah the something you missed is the part where he killed the girl.

Wow, you're an rear end.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

go poo poo up the season 1 thread with your adnan :jerkbag: theories seriously we have a new goofball to sperg about

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

GaussianCopula posted:

Let's talk to a person who clearly has delusions of grandeur about their time in captivity. But because he doesn't want to talk to us, let's use the tapes in which he talked to a screenwriter about his story and let's just use that as facts.

you may want to stick to basic cable, if the assumption of available critical thinking faculties on the listener's part is too difficult a concept for you to grasp

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

go poo poo up the season 1 thread with your adnan :jerkbag: theories seriously we have a new goofball to sperg about

Fair enough. Someone asked a question, and I answered. Now let's move on.

Episode 2 really brought out why people were so hard on him. When I first heard about Bowe, I thought "desertion? Is that really such a big deal?" Knowing how much poo poo people went through trying to save him, it's understandable why they take it seriously. Episode 3 didn't add much, though. I guess it showed how painful his imprisonment was, and I liked the bits about him putting obvious lies into his propaganda videos to clue in his side that the videos were false. But a lot of it was just a detailed blow-by-blow of how he escaped, and I didn't care as much.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jurgan posted:

Fair enough. Someone asked a question, and I answered. Now let's move on.

Episode 2 really brought out why people were so hard on him. When I first heard about Bowe, I thought "desertion? Is that really such a big deal?" Knowing how much poo poo people went through trying to save him, it's understandable why they take it seriously. Episode 3 didn't add much, though. I guess it showed how painful his imprisonment was, and I liked the bits about him putting obvious lies into his propaganda videos to clue in his side that the videos were false. But a lot of it was just a detailed blow-by-blow of how he escaped, and I didn't care as much.

You get that this is exactly what Koenig is trying to do, right?

She wants you to sympathize with Bowe, just like she had a whole episode devoted to making you sympathize with Adnan and showing him as a teenager like we all were at one point.

She's got to make the listener give a gently caress about SOMETHING in this story, so she's trying to make you think he's really brave for not cracking, and then later she's probably going to try make you question your sympathies. Whether it's working or not, that's what is intended here.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Maybe she's making you feel like that but I don't detect any manipulation. And I certainly don't sympathise with him. He's an idiot and his explanations all sound like excuses he came up with after the fact.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Paul Zuvella posted:

even if his intentions were slightly noble his entire plan wasted millions of taxpayer dollars, put countless US soldiers lives in danger, and literally had 0 percent chance at succeeding.

You just described the entire military campaign he removed himself from.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Scudworth posted:

You just described the entire military campaign he removed himself from.

Except that "millions" would be drastically understating it.

aslan
Mar 27, 2012

rotinaj posted:

The argument there is that the genre of story has changed so drastically, it's putting people off. Going from a mystery whodunit to a military test of character story is a far enough leap that it could easily alienate a big portion of the audience.

Koenig specifically said that they didn't want to be known as a true crime podcast or do only true crime stories--if that's true then it's probably for the best that they let listeners know that ASAP.

To some degree, season one grew into something way beyond their control (Koenig was definitely getting part of the blame for the fact that her listeners were overstepping boundaries trying to get more information, and for the perceived-to-be-distasteful way that a lot of people latched onto the story). I don't think they're particularly mad about the fact that the hype has died down and they get a chance to do something that'll be looked at as being less, uh, tawdry. Even if that means losing a few listeners.

GaussianCopula posted:

Serial is not meant to be objective newspaper-style journalism. If it was, then Koenig wouldn't be inserting herself into the narrative the way she has. It's meant to be a way of telling stories that may or may not end up being true. (The framing device of Koenig telling the story of Boal talking to Bowe who's telling his own story is an explicitly literary device--Frankenstein, Wuthering Heights, etc.) The fact that she draws attention to the role she's playing--what she has to do to investigate her stories, how she feels about the subjects, etc.--is entirely purposeful.

Everyone who is concerned with Koenig's lack of objectivity/credibility/etc. is missing the point by a mile. There's no hidden agenda here. There's an agenda, but she's never made an attempt to hide it for even a second.

GutBomb posted:

Maybe she's making you feel like that but I don't detect any manipulation. And I certainly don't sympathise with him. He's an idiot and his explanations all sound like excuses he came up with after the fact.

I mean, it's obviously too early to tell yet, but the impression I get is that one of the central questions of season two won't be "Is Bowe 100 percent innocent of what he's being accused of?" the way it was with Adnan in season one--it's whether or not we can get to the point where we sympathize with Bowe despite recognizing that he is at least partially and maybe fully guilty of the things he's been accused of.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

aslan posted:

Koenig specifically said that they didn't want to be known as a true crime podcast or do only true crime stories--if that's true then it's probably for the best that they let listeners know that ASAP.

To some degree, season one grew into something way beyond their control (Koenig was definitely getting part of the blame for the fact that her listeners were overstepping boundaries trying to get more information, and for the perceived-to-be-distasteful way that a lot of people latched onto the story). I don't think they're particularly mad about the fact that the hype has died down and they get a chance to do something that'll be looked at as being less, uh, tawdry. Even if that means losing a few listeners.

Absolutely - season one had the internet detective dummies calling and harassing the key players, visiting Jay's grandmother's house and egging on Adnan's friends sister with her cries of his innocence on her blog. There is no chance in hell NPR wanted Serial to become infamous for that type of behavior.

By choosing someone for S2 that is already infamous, they cut out of the bullshit background 'research' that the anonymity of the internet allows. And this is good - we can focus on the actual story.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

GutBomb posted:

Serial is a piece of entertainment. She's trying to make her audience care about the story. I never said "manipulate". She's using basic entertainment principles to try to make a compelling narrative for her story. But seeing as you're biased against the whole thing from the start, you're never gonna let the storyteller do as she's intending to, so whatever, keep on hatin', dude. The basic story arc so far has been really, really obvious. She set up the backround, she did the capture, now she's done the first year of his captivity and his trauma/torture/neglect. She's probably gonna do another episode or three on the rest of his time since he was captured, then she'll do the immediate aftermath of the rescue, and probably an episode on the backlash against him.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

rotinaj posted:

Serial is a piece of entertainment. She's trying to make her audience care about the story. I never said "manipulate". She's using basic entertainment principles to try to make a compelling narrative for her story. But seeing as you're biased against the whole thing from the start, you're never gonna let the storyteller do as she's intending to, so whatever, keep on hatin', dude. The basic story arc so far has been really, really obvious. She set up the backround, she did the capture, now she's done the first year of his captivity and his trauma/torture/neglect. She's probably gonna do another episode or three on the rest of his time since he was captured, then she'll do the immediate aftermath of the rescue, and probably an episode on the backlash against him.

I'm not biased against anything. I didn't even know much about this story before the show started airing other than John McCain being a dickhead about it. I understand it's entertainment but I'll deny that she's trying to get the listener to lean any specific way. She's presenting stories and facts and the opinion of the listener seems generally left to the listener to decide.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

GutBomb posted:

I'm not biased against anything. I didn't even know much about this story before the show started airing other than John McCain being a dickhead about it. I understand it's entertainment but I'll deny that she's trying to get the listener to lean any specific way. She's presenting stories and facts and the opinion of the listener seems generally left to the listener to decide.

Everything has a bias, all news is framed to make you feel a certain way, sorry to break it to you, buddy.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

rotinaj posted:

Everything has a bias, all news is framed to make you feel a certain way, sorry to break it to you, buddy.

I guess I'm just less susceptible to being influenced by media bias than you then, buddy.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

GutBomb posted:

I guess I'm just less susceptible to being influenced by media bias than you then, buddy.

This, I propose, is ideology.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

GutBomb posted:

You should probably get informed about media framing, narratives, and how information actually works, because you're not less susceptible, you just apparently can't see it when it happens. Just because you don't believe a legitimate thing is a thing, doesn't mean it's not there.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I don't hate season 2 but I don't love or even really like it. It's interesting enough to hold my attention and I look forward to it to spice up my week of podcasts. I can't imagine the drop off in serial listeners this season though. It must be insane.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm finding this season really fascinating, particularly the reactions other military people had to the search for Bergdahl. Those dudes that said they would kill him if they had been the ones to find him genuinely disturb me. Hopefully we'll more of this broader scope stuff later on.

As far as Serial goes as a piece of media goes, it's not journalism and was never meant to be. It's closer to documentary films- Sarah Koenig's company would be people like Errol Morris and Werner Herzog, people big into the subjective nature of the genre.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 29, 2015

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

I wonder if/when they'll bring up the email he sent to his parent before he went AWOL. Definitely shows how fed up he was of his command.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/americas-last-prisoner-of-war-20120607 posted:

mom, dad
The future is too good to waste on lies. And life is way too short to care for the damnation of others, as well as to spend it helping fools with their ideas that are wrong. I have seen their ideas and I am ashamed to even be american. The horror of the self-righteous arrogance that they thrive in. It is all revolting. [...] [Three good sergeants had been forced to move to another company] [...] and one of the biggest poo poo bags is being put in charge of the team. [...] [My battalion commander was] a conceited old fool. [...] In the US army you are cut down for being honest... but if you are a conceited brown nosing poo poo bag you will be allowed to do what ever you want, and you will be handed your higher rank... The system is wrong. I am ashamed to be an american. And the title of US soldier is just the lie of fools. ... The US army is the biggest joke the world has to laugh at. It is the army of liars, backstabbers, fools, and bullies. The few good SGTs are getting out as soon as they can, [...] I am sorry for everything here. These people need help, yet what they get is the most conceited country in the world telling them that they are nothing and that they are stupid, that they have no idea how to live... We don't even care when we hear each other talk about running their children down in the dirt streets with our armored trucks... We make fun of them in front of their faces, and laugh at them for not understanding we are insulting them [...] I am sorry for everything. The horror that is america is disgusting. There are a few more boxes coming to you guys. Feel free to open them, and use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005

Hat Thoughts posted:

Mountain Dew did 9-11

• Locked thread