Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

Knucklebear posted:

Mountain Dew did 9-11

High fructose corn syrup can't burn through steel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

GutBomb posted:

The only problem I have with the show is the swearing. It doesn't bother me, and if you're quoting someone, sure, don't change what they say, but as the host Sarah swearing is keeping me from being able to recommend the show to family members who would be less accepting of that sort of thing.

I disagree that it isn't the same kind of show though. It's doing exactly what it claims to. Tell a story week by week.

Tell your dumb idiot family members to grow up

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

TwoStepBoog posted:

I wonder if/when they'll bring up the email he sent to his parent before he went AWOL. Definitely shows how fed up he was of his command.

The military needs to do better at screening out aspies

misdirectomy
Feb 19, 2008
Bowe :spergin:dahl

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Episode 3 has me a little more hooked now. The story about the escape was really captivating. I'm still not sure how many more episodes this can be dragged out while remaining interesting though. If nothing else, it's an interesting insight into life over there. It just feels a little hollow I guess after last season and what was at stake. Hopefully the next episode continues what was built in Episode 3.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Is this the official episode 4 review?

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Zero point zero

Edit: not really but saw your avatar. It's very meh though, last episode was better

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I feel safe at this point saying that this season is actually bad and not good.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Paul Zuvella posted:

I feel safe at this point saying that this season is actually bad and not good.

It is a little slow compared to last season - I am having trouble concentrating on this latest episode. This is the True Detective of podcasts - amazing first season, second season that can't live up to the hype.

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Zero point zero

Edit: not really but saw your avatar. It's very meh though, last episode was better

I don't listen much anymore, but I saw that Johnny Fratto and Riley Martin died - they're dropping like flies. :(

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
As someone who likes to use podcasts as sleep aids, Serial S2 has changed my world. Have some respect

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

need some more hot takes on how this show compares to last season

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Show is incredibly boring and sucks now

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm enjoying it. Bergdhal's story is tragic and interesting.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Yeah I've found it fascinating, especially the accounts from Taliban folk about their perceptions of Bowe and the captivity.

Obviously it's completely different from season 1 and definitely isn't as engaging, but as a standalone thing it's still enjoyable.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

I think it's pretty drat good.
Sure, it's completely different from first season, but it's still equally engaging.

The main reason I'm sticking to this season is I'm absurdly curious how Bergdhal could remain mentally intact after being tortured and abused for five years straight.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
This last episode branched out a bit, explaining the clusterfuck of politics and alliances in Pakistan and Afghanistan. I enjoyed that a lot, perhaps more than the main story. Though this episode did get vivid with the torture descriptions, making me appreciate just what Bowe went through.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back

TwoStepBoog posted:

I wonder if/when they'll bring up the email he sent to his parent before he went AWOL. Definitely shows how fed up he was of his command.
Thanks for posting, I found that very interesting.

I was skeptical at first but I'm down with season 2 now. I was a little disappointed they weren't going for a who-dun-it this season, but now I'm glad they did something different.

Does anyone know where I can find the season 2 theme song without anything in the background? I like it even more than the first one.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i thought episode 4 was ok. to me it felt like they were branching outward instead of maintaining the narrower narrative focus that they maintained for the first three episode. I didn't like this branching out as much, but I still thought it was OK. One of the downsides I think this season will have compared to last is that Koenig really can't get as close to the story. Last season she talked directly with almost everyone involved in the case, but this time she isn't even talking to the main person, and a lot of the other stakeholders in Bowe's narrative aren't going to be giving her a straight story. It was certainly like that last season too, but the scale this time is much bigger. Instead of a bunch of kids and family members who knew each other in high school, and the (probably) tightly-knit legal community of Baltimore, you're dealing with the massive bureaucracy of the United States military, and a literal cult of apocalyptic religious fundamentalists who are paranoid about even being in the same room as a "Westerner" much less talking openly about substantial topics.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

New episodes of Serial S2 will now be released every other week.

Sarah Koenig posted:

Hello!

I have news: We are changing the schedule, so that now, new episodes of Season Two will come out every other week, instead of once a week. I know! I know...it’s maybe not what you wanted to hear. But, there’s a good and exciting reason, which is that we’re adding more material. This story goes in so many directions, and as we’re reporting it we’re getting access to more of the key people close to Bergdahl’s case, and to more information than we initially thought we would. Which is great. And which means we’re going to be adding at least one extra episode to the series. To do that—or at least to do it right—will take some time. Hence the change.

So to be clear: The next episode of Serial will come out on Thursday, Jan. 21st. During in-between weeks, we’ll have new posts and graphics on our website. We’ll keep you updated on all of that via our social media accounts.

And thank you, everyone, for listening to the show. Your response has been terrifically encouraging.

Source: https://serialpodcast.org/posts/2016/01/season-2-announcement

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Raxivace posted:

New episodes of Serial S2 will now be released every other week.

Source: https://serialpodcast.org/posts/2016/01/season-2-announcement

Adnan did this.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

That's kinda retarded

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Oh good! Posts and graphics on the website about the podcast instead of the actual podcast this is great news.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Serial season 2 is bad and it just got worse.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

Serial season 2 is bad and it just got worse.
Yeah, I didn't mind the infodumping of the last episode, it was interesting...but with the narrative pace, slowing down the update rate is just killer for me.

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene
Disappointed no new episode this week, but I've enjoyed it thoroughly so far and can't wait for next week.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I think I finally realized why this season is not engaging to me. With Adnan's case, There were so many things that were not agreed upon by multiple parties. People did not agree on the facts.

This is central, there were things to discuss, two sides of a coin to explore. There were multiple points of contention that made you doubt both sides of the story. This is not the case with Bowe. We know Bowe did it. We know how Bowe did it. We know why Bowe did it. We know what happened to Bowe after Bowe did it. There is nothing to discuss there, nothing to question. Sure, there are small things that might be questionable, like how far from a road Bowe wandered, why he didn't look at his compass, etc, but none of that matters in the long run. The only thing that is contentious in this story is whether or not Bowe was justified in his actions or not.

And they haven't talked about it. There has been no discussion about the ethics of Bowe's decision, the greater issue of the quality of military command, the greater treatment of soldiers in America. The only real point of discussion that this story has to offer has not been a central theme and we are 4 episodes in. Bowe's story could make a great movie, or a great book, but the thing that made Serial great was sitting with your friends and discussing whether or not you think adnad did it, and cellphone towers, and what the deal with Jay was, and you could never really ever come to any conclusions or agreement.

The conversation with Bowe is always the same. "Wow what an idiot, sure does suck how he was treated though". It sucks.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

I think I finally realized why this season is not engaging to me. With Adnan's case, There were so many things that were not agreed upon by multiple parties. People did not agree on the facts.

i have listened to This American Life and other NPR shows like that for a long time (my parents had it on when i was little) so it's understandable that a lot of people had much different expectations than I did, going in to season 2. it makes the steady trickle of :shrek: posters arriving itt slightly less insufferable, but only so

quote:

The conversation with Bowe is always the same. "Wow what an idiot, sure does suck how he was treated though". It sucks.

i dunno, i feel like they spent a lot of episode 1 and 2 going over many of the questions you brought up, like why he did it and what other people thought about it. maybe they didn't do it in a way that you like, but i feel like this kind of criticism is a bit goony to make when the show's literal tagline is "one story told week by week" and we're only on episode 4 of however many they plan to do this time around

although maybe they should change that slogan to "one story, told whenever the hell we feel like it" :v:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i have listened to This American Life and other NPR shows like that for a long time (my parents had it on when i was little) so it's understandable that a lot of people had much different expectations than I did, going in to season 2. it makes the steady trickle of :shrek: posters arriving itt slightly less insufferable, but only so

i dunno, i feel like they spent a lot of episode 1 and 2 going over many of the questions you brought up, like why he did it and what other people thought about it. maybe they didn't do it in a way that you like, but i feel like this kind of criticism is a bit goony to make when the show's literal tagline is "one story told week by week" and we're only on episode 4 of however many they plan to do this time around

although maybe they should change that slogan to "one story, told whenever the hell we feel like it" :v:

I don't really see how the argument is "goony". The fact is that throughout Serial 1, the thing that drove it week by week were the discussions about the podcast, Adnan's case, and the multitude of mysteries surrounding it. These were conversations I had in real life with my friends, online on forums, reddit, and what have you.

Those conversations don't exist this season. You try to start them and people are either disinterested in discussing it, because there is way less mystery, or they don't discuss it in the first place because it's just a boring thing to talk about. Just look at this thread, there is no discussion. There is literally no conversation to be had.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i don't mean "goony" as an insult. it's just an observation about how you seem to have a romantic view of s1 and you will not reconsider any of your premises on this fact whatsoever. and how you state everything with 110% certainty, presenting your opinion like it's a scientific proof about the universe. and how you did some quality fishmeching when i pointed out a factual error in something you wrote. all of that stuff is pretty goony imo

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 17, 2016

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I think I'm actually enjoying season 2 more than 1, but that's probably because I'm not a huge fine of true crime stuff. I'm really looking forward to seeing how they intend to "pan out" as the series progresses. :shrug:

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
I'm glad they didn't revisit the true crime genre of S1. While it was fascinating, there's no need to try make lightning strike twice. And S1 was strange in that while it had the shape and form of crime-solving, it really wasn't. (I wonder if the producers were hoping that "Thin Blue Line"-style, some startling piece of evidence would just fall from the heavens.)

During the inter-season gap, Ira Glass was saying they were going to a story on a haunted house. I wonder where that went. There was also talk that they were making two seasons at once.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

outlier posted:

I'm glad they didn't revisit the true crime genre of S1. While it was fascinating, there's no need to try make lightning strike twice. And S1 was strange in that while it had the shape and form of crime-solving, it really wasn't. (I wonder if the producers were hoping that "Thin Blue Line"-style, some startling piece of evidence would just fall from the heavens.)

During the inter-season gap, Ira Glass was saying they were going to a story on a haunted house. I wonder where that went. There was also talk that they were making two seasons at once.

The Asia McLane alibi was in episode one, so I imagine they had that before production even started. Koenig outright said once that she thought that would be the key to exonerating Adnan, and it was only after the show was already in production that she realized it wasn't that simple.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

outlier posted:

Koenig either stated or implied early on this season that the documentary filmmaker Bergdahl is talking to contacted Serial folks proactively, and they jumped on the chance to make this season. I'm guessing that means they were already working on another season, which'll probably be season 3. I wouldn't be surprised if the last episode of season 2 ends with an announcement of a specific start date for season 3

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene
I didn't listen to S1 till well after it had all finished, and in a way I'm glad. While it would be fun to ride the zeitgeist along with everyone else, if everyone was trying to internet-sleuth the case, that sounds like the most insufferable thing in the world to me.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Tucked-In T-Shirt posted:

I didn't listen to S1 till well after it had all finished, and in a way I'm glad. While it would be fun to ride the zeitgeist along with everyone else, if everyone was trying to internet-sleuth the case, that sounds like the most insufferable thing in the world to me.

Well that situation is easy enough to avoid.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Tucked-In T-Shirt posted:

if everyone was trying to internet-sleuth the case, that sounds like the most insufferable thing in the world to me.

a bunch of dipshit internet detectives went wild and even started harassing people irl about it who were connected to the case. i don't think goons got quite that bad, but i remember being linked to a whole section on reddit that had reams of information people had dug up, and that they were using to connect the dots on all kinds of insane theories. i think the only thing internet nerds produced that was of any value was the blueprint to that best buy with schrödinger's payphone

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

a bunch of dipshit internet detectives went wild and even started harassing people irl about it who were connected to the case. i don't think goons got quite that bad, but i remember being linked to a whole section on reddit that had reams of information people had dug up, and that they were using to connect the dots on all kinds of insane theories. i think the only thing internet nerds produced that was of any value was the blueprint to that best buy with schrödinger's payphone

People were showing up at Jay's grandmother's house, the high school - it was insanity. Reddit's only real 'contribution' was creating such a toxic environment that they scared NPR into making this season very milquetoast compared to S1.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Kelly posted:

People were showing up at Jay's grandmother's house, the high school - it was insanity. Reddit's only real 'contribution' was creating such a toxic environment that they scared NPR into making this season very milquetoast compared to S1.

Yeah it was ridiculous, I wouldn't be surprised if people started digging around in the park too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Kelly posted:

That's maybe the one benefit to doing such a high profile case this season; Bergdahl's situation was already an insane shitshow before Sarah Koenig got there.

• Locked thread