Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Steel yourselves for either the coming class wars or mass apathy, gentlegoons. For the first time in the nation's history it has been reported, by Pew Research, that the middle class now comprises 49.9% of all American Households (down from 53.7% in 2001). The lower class now nearly comprises 30% of all households while the upper class is 21%. A few choice quotes from the research article (http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2015/12/09/the-american-middle-class-is-losing-ground/):

Pew Research posted:

The income it takes to be middle income varies by household size, with smaller households requiring less to support the same lifestyle as larger households. For a three-person household, the middle-income range was about $42,000 to $126,000 annually in 2014. However, a one-person household needed only about $24,000 to $73,000 to be middle income. For a five-person household to be considered middle income, its 2014 income had to range from $54,000 to $162,000.8

In addition, the lower-income group is divided into lowest-income households (with income less than half of the overall median) and lower-middle income households (with incomes from half to less than two-thirds of the overall median). In 2014, a lowest-income household with three people lived on about $31,000 or less, and a lower-middle income household lived on about $31,000 to $42,000.9

Likewise, upper-income households are divided into upper-middle income households (with more than twice the overall median income and up to three times the median) and highest-income households (with more than three times the overall median income). In 2014, an upper-middle income household with three people lived on about $126,000 to $188,000, and a highest-income household lived on more than $188,000.

Pew Research posted:

Based on the definition used in this report, the share of American adults living in middle-income households has fallen from 61% in 1971 to 50% in 2015. The share living in the upper-income tier rose from 14% to 21% over the same period. Meanwhile, the share in the lower-income tier increased from 25% to 29%. Notably, the 7 percentage point increase in the share at the top is nearly double the 4 percentage point increase at the bottom.

The rising share of adults in the lower- and upper-income tiers is at the farthest points of the income distribution, distant from the vicinity of the middle. The share of American adults in the lowest-income tier rose from 16% in 1971 to 20% in 2015. Over the same period, the share of American adults in lower-middle income households did not change, holding at 9%.

The growth at the top is similarly skewed. The share of adults in highest-income households more than doubled, from 4% in 1971 to 9% in 2015. But the increase in the share in upper-middle income households was modest, rising from 10% to 12%. Thus, the closer look at the shift out of the middle reveals that a deeper polarization is underway in the American economy.

Pew Research posted:

The median income of upper-income households increased from $118,617 in 1970 to $174,625 in 2014, or by 47%. That was significantly greater than the 34% gain for middle-income households, whose median income rose from $54,682 to $73,392. Lower-income households fell behind even more as their median income increased by only 28% over this period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
hope & change :obama:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Eat the rich.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Marx was right news at 11

Next up: you'll never believe what Future President Trump said this time, and why the crowds Love It!
Then: Bernie Sanders - absolutely right, but unelectable.

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax
stay safe poverty ghost

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

here we go, boys :bernin:

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i saw that on fox news this morning and i spit my coffee out and jumped out of my chair and screamed "honey, pack your stuff! were moving to canada!" then i realized that i live alone in a trashcan :(

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001
I loving hate how all these studies gloss over the fact that the cost of living varies wildly.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
Just expand the definition of middle class and the problem is solved.

E: That's why the US gov won't update the definition of poverty — if we did, the poverty rate would go up.

Neptr fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 10, 2015

Hot Cosby
Sep 23, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neptr posted:

an idea-guy I see, you're going to go far

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

24-73k is a huge loving range. Like, 24-34 is a massive difference in income.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Neptr posted:

The key is to just redefine class altogether into two groups:

A: the Doer class, of hard working real Americans who bootstrap their way to success and man up to the plate to win and don't take participation trophies. This includes everyone from hard working laborers and billionaires alike.

B: Der Liberal class, parasitic untermensch who listen to rap "music" on their obamaphones, work for government unions where they can literally never be fired, and their sole job is to steal from the Doers (since they do no productive work on their own) by taxing them to pay for their welfare abortions. These Liberals sind the antithesis of American values and the cause of our economic and cultural degredation. The solution is to remove them their influential positions where they are over represented, in the government, the media, and education, where they strategically corrupt and undermine America.

Boom, American Fascism in a neat little package

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
we're gonna fall apart just like the USSR did imo

Our government has become a bloated corrupt institution that ignores the wishes of the people and dumps all the money into useless poo poo that doesn't matter.

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001

Moridin920 posted:

we're gonna fall apart just like the USSR did imo

Our government has become a bloated corrupt institution that ignores the wishes of the people and dumps all the money into useless poo poo that doesn't matter.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Commie NedFlanders posted:

A: the Doer class, of hard working real Americans who bootstrap their way to success and man up to the plate to win and don't take participation trophies. This includes everyone from hard working laborers and billionaires alike.

B: Der Liberal class, parasitic untermensch who listen to rap "music" on their obamaphones, work for government unions where they can literally never be fired, and their sole job is to steal from the Doers (since they do no productive work on their own) by taxing them to pay for their welfare abortions. These Liberals sind the antithesis of American values and the cause of our economic and cultural degredation. The solution is to remove them their influential positions where they are over represented, in the government, the media, and education, where they strategically corrupt and undermine America.

Well said 5

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

dad gay. so what posted:

i saw that on fox news this morning and i spit my coffee out and jumped out of my chair and screamed "honey, pack your stuff! were moving to canada!" then i realized that i live alone in a trashcan :(

uh dont forget you sublet that trashcan from ME rear end in a top hat and rent is due

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Don't believe me? It's all in the numbers. For a hundred years, there's been a conspiracy of plutocrats against ordinary people.
Number one: in 1945 corporations paid 50 percent of federal taxes. Now they pay about 5 percent. Number two: in 1900 90 percent of Americans were self-employed; now it's about two percent.
It's called consolidation. Strengthen governments and corporations, weaken individuals. With taxes, thus can be done imperceptibly over time.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Huge Obamacare Fan posted:

24-73k is a huge loving range. Like, 24-34 is a massive difference in income.

Yeah according to that I was middle class working as a line cook and uh... haha nah I was poor as gently caress still.

It probably doesn't take into account different areas, too... $25k/yr might be comfortable in one state but in NY that's not poo poo at all.

Hot Cosby
Sep 23, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

yeah he could make big bucks being a writer for the daily show or something

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/12/09/are-you-in-the-american-middle-class/

gently caress, I'm upper class. Why can't I afford a house or pay off my student loans?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

they didn't include upper middle or lower middle in that number

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Bernie Sanders 2016 imo.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
but I think what's truly important is identity politics and getting a woman in the white house

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Now more than ever is the time to whine about halloween costumes and video game titties.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

This idea has swept the nation it articulates the real and true frustrations of our situation, the American people are being exploited by a ruling class, the American people are being ignored and manipulated by a powerful elite, our government and institutions and media are ruled by an elite few.

This American Fascism voices and gives legitimacy to the feelings caused by class struggle.

The problem, the reason this solution is "fascist" , is because it matches the ideological structure that Hitler outlines in Mein Kampf.

This right wing ideology is:
1. Explicitly anti-Marxist, and sees Marxism as a tool for Der Lieberal to subvert our values and sovereignty. This is how Hitler saw the Jew.
2. It voices the feelings and frustrations of class warfare and economic exploitation, except instead of analyzing how this class antagonism is inherent to the relations of production, it simply groups everyone into one big class which requires some Other who functions as the corrupting, disturbing element that disrupts the imagined social harmony.

Bamford Brownstone
Jul 21, 2010

Gimbal lock posted:

Don't believe me? It's all in the numbers. For a hundred years, there's been a conspiracy of plutocrats against ordinary people.
Number one: in 1945 corporations paid 50 percent of federal taxes. Now they pay about 5 percent. Number two: in 1900 90 percent of Americans were self-employed; now it's about two percent.
It's called consolidation. Strengthen governments and corporations, weaken individuals. With taxes, thus can be done imperceptibly over time.

That's terror. Old men running the world.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

This idea has swept the nation it articulates the real and true frustrations of our situation, the American people are being exploited by a ruling class, the American people are being ignored and manipulated by a powerful elite, our government and institutions and media are ruled by an elite few.

This American Fascism voices and gives legitimacy to the feelings caused by class struggle.

The problem, the reason this solution is "fascist" , is because it matches the ideological structure that Hitler outlines in Mein Kampf.

1. Explicitly anti-Marxist, and sees Marxism as a tool for Der Lieberal to subvert our values and sovereignty. This is how Hitler saw the Jew.
2. It voices the feelings and frustrations of class warfare and economic exploitation, except instead of analyzing how this class antagonism is inherent to the relations of production, it simply groups everyone into one big class which requires some Other who functions as the corrupting, disturbing element that disrupts the imagined social harmony.

Yeah I guess.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

So sorta like how goons do with reddit

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
I live in the suburbs and I'm starting to see reverse gentrification. I am not very happy about this.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
3 olives

middle class (most goons)

plebs (me)

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

Gimbal lock posted:

That's a trip to the gulag.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
B ut wait... I was told that class war doesn't exist?

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
:bernget:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

SHISHKABOB posted:

Eat the rich.

:yeah:

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Gimbal lock posted:

Uh but can a corporation have sex with a hot chick? Didn't think so, but individuals can, if they arent jon pop. Check mat.e

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Rambling Robot posted:

3 olives

middle class (most goons)

plebs (me)

I have a knockoff keurig (it makes drip coffee AND k-cups!)

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Bern it all down. Bern it to the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

FogHelmut posted:

gently caress, I'm upper class.

die bourgie scum

• Locked thread