Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
As the new iteration of Rockstar dawns, we are closing in on the holiday season. It's a time of peace and love, where we celebrate family and the giving of gifts. That's loving boring though, so the theme of this Rockstar is CRUSH KILL DESTROY.

Your mission is to choose a violent, preferably apocalyptic song, and cover it in whatever way you see fit. I have a massive tidal wave of poo poo To Do approaching at the start of February, so I'm setting a deadline of January 31, 2016.

quote:

What's Rockstar? How do I Rockstar?
The idea behind Rockstar is simple: you pick any song that fits the topic, then record a cover of it by the posted deadline. Once the deadline arrives, we get all the submissions together and make a poll/voting thread in GBS to determine the winner. The winner gets all the glory and gets to pick the next topic and post the next thread.

Who can participate?
Anyone, everyone. If you're willing to take the time to throw a song together, we're happy to have you.

Does it have to sound professional or anything?
Nope. You don't need fancy interfaces or access to a studio, just the ability to sit down and jam out a cover on whatever you got. Sure, production quality is good, but actually completing an entry is even better. So grab what you got and start laying down some tracks. There are plenty of resources in the Musicians Lounge if you need assistance with your setup or are having any technical issues.

Where should I host the music?
Soundcloud. Just make sure you allow people to download your music from Soundcloud, since some people like to load the music up on their iPod. Plus, that way, you don't need to worry about your internet connection when you're trying to make love to that special someone, or something, or KFC basket of Chicken Wings.

I really really really want to win. What's the secret?
First of all, settle down there chief. It ain't about winning. However, winning is simple, actually. Follow my three simple rules:
Pick a song that people have actually heard of. This isn't a time to establish your indie cred.
Switch up the genres in a funny way. Make a reggae version of a hard rock song. Do "Take the A Train" in the style of Kraftwerk's "Autobahn". Please don't turn a rap song into a mellow acoustic ballad. Straight covers rarely win because lets face it, you're no David Cassidy, and I think you know it.
Get off your fat butt and actually record something. Don't wait until the deadline. Thinking about it won't make it happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
For my track, I'm picking Everything's Exploding, by The Flaming Lips back when they were good.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

i'm going to do a bad song by a terrible band - "when the world ends" by dave matthews band

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Skullcrusher Mountain calls to me

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'm torn between straight apocalypse with Johnny Cash's When the Man Comes Around or trying to find something more violent.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
Hoping to finally get back into this with Blow Up the Outside by Soundgarden...

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
Calling Electric Wizard - "Funeralopolis".

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
For about a year now I've wanted to do an... expansion of the ending sting of those Protect and Survive videos. Dunno if it'll really fit the 'cover' rule but I think I'll finally try to get that onto DAW.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Army Of Me by CanniBjork Holocaust.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm thinking about doing Tables & Chairs by Andrew Bird.

Unless it's not violent enough, how violent is violent for the purpose of this thing?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Doesn't matter, it gets a pass for being Andrew Bird.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
It's a Mistake by Men at Work? Cold War-era nuclear scare is apocalyptic enough, right?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So. Here's what I was going for.

A War Pigs guitar sound, Bjork psycho kind of vocals, Closer by NIN drums and dirt.

And then, Back in Black brick wall mastering, which might've pushed it a little too far.
https://soundcloud.com/beauhall/army-of-me-by-beau

Here's the same track, but NOT AC/DC squashed.
https://soundcloud.com/beauhall/army-of-me-unsquashed-so-much

So, which one? Any thoughts? My ears are totally hosed so I've got no idea how bad I made it.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 17, 2015

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

magnificent7 posted:

Here's the same track, but NOT AC/DC squashed.
https://soundcloud.com/beauhall/army-of-me-unsquashed-so-much

So, which one? Any thoughts? My ears are totally hosed so I've got no idea how bad I made it.

I don't know anything about Björk, nothing at all, haven't heard of her, I've certainly not flown to NYC just to see her in concert, but I liked the second version better.

Potentially claiming "Bang Bang" by Nancy Sinatra. Also thinking about "Atrocities" by Antony and the Johnsons but that's rather boring. There's a song I could do that perfectly fits this theme but it's 15+ years old and is also in Finnish (Kun Vaihtuu Vuosituhat by Ultra Bra if anyone is wondering). Anyway I'll probably end up doing Bang Bang.

E: Officially claiming Bang Bang even though doing a weird, old, not-in-English song would be fun.

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 21, 2015

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Koivunen posted:

I don't know anything about Björk, nothing at all, haven't heard of her, I've certainly not flown to NYC just to see her in concert, but I liked the second version better.
So of course I changed things. The one feedback from my previous submission, (and many, many other recent ones) is that there's too much going on. Me, I tend to love two or three guitars soloing all at once, it represents an all-and-nothing g-string-jaculation of fitful whatever and maybe I tend to overdo that poo poo. Same as with the vocals. At some point, I decided "hey more vocals is just goddamn better. And I bet I can sing the exact same way two times oh I cant? gently caress it they're all fantastic" which, again, to me is just "holy poo poo chaos of spontaneous combustion" but, perhaps, to others, (including myself on later listens) it's a pile of mess.

SO. Here's just one guitar soloing while the other sticks to just the facts. And a lot of phase because drat that's cool am I right. Or perhaps too much again. Same diff.
https://soundcloud.com/beauhall/army-of-me-3-with-more-flutter-and-wow

Goddammit that very first vocal line. Hell if I'm gonna re-record it again.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Come on now people. Surely somebody else is recording this week, right?

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I have been, but not for this.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I wish we'd do a RockStar of songs whose lyrics are baffling. We're always picking awesome topics, but that rules out some really fantastic tunes like:

- Louie Louie
- Da Da Da (I don't love you you don't love me)
- Turn Down For What

I mean, sure, those tunes are about something, I suppose. I think. But maybe we do a round titled, "What the gently caress does that mean?"

Then again, I think the most popular RS themes have always been a music style vs. the lyrical content. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong... Reggae Gone Metal, Country/Disco, something that the nine year olds in GBS can go, "ME GET JOKE!"

But okay. Hope everybody gets that amazing musical doodad they wanted for the hurlidays.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
https://soundcloud.com/koivunen/bang-bang-nancy-sinatra-cover

I need some feedback. I turned the high gain way down due to an awful amount of background fuzz thanks to my super amateur setup and microphone. In my headphones it sounds fine, but when I listen on my computer speakers it sounds really bad. How does it sound when you listen to it, and is there something I can change to make it sound better?

Totally whipped out "vocal-ooh" and I like it.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Koivunen posted:

I need some feedback. I turned the high gain way down due to an awful amount of background fuzz thanks to my super amateur setup and microphone. In my headphones it sounds fine, but when I listen on my computer speakers it sounds really bad. How does it sound when you listen to it, and is there something I can change to make it sound better?

I'm not hearing any feedback or anything like that - it's all nice and pure and clean on my computer.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Koivunen posted:

I'd say ease up on the vocal reverb, and bring up the vocal by about 1-2 dB, but other than that it sounds pretty darn good!

AE
Jul 7, 2006

by Shine
Hey guys.. sorry for being off-topic, but I'm trying desperately to find Rockstar 48. Does anyone have a link to the thread or a zip/rar of the songs? It was an entire album where we all did David Bowie songs. I think it should be re-posted in honor of his passing because some of those covers were loving FANTASTIC. I covered Queen Bitch, which can be found below in case we need to re-compile the whole thing.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1108548/vmod%20-%20queen%20bitch%20%28david%20bowie%20cover%29.mp3

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
Here's the Bowie cover I did. If memory serves somehow I might have even inexplicably won that round.

http://tindeck.com/listen/ekty

Hallo reverb!!

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Such a fan-loving-tastic edition of Rockstar.

RockStar 48 Album via Tindeck

The thread

Download link at tindeck still works.

E: Because I suck at phone posting.

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 18, 2016

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
My cover of "Ashes to Ashes" isn't on Tindeck anymore, but you can still find it here:

https://soundcloud.com/small-islands/ashes-to-ashes

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I dropped my entire life to go to school this semester, so I'm dropping out (:v:) of this month's rockstar. Soz bois

nh
Feb 2, 2003
I've been itching to do another one of these for a while. I combed this wiki page for ideas and picked Adele's Skyfall.

In retrospect, while apocalyptic in tone, it's not particularly violent. I'm almost done with it, but it only took a handful of hours, so if you guys decide I have to pick a new song, it shouldn't be a problem.

edit: Thinking about going with Symphony of Destruction for attempt 2.

nh fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 21, 2016

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Do both!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Actually, I'm thinking I may take on a second one. Burn and Rob, by Paleface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfIMiLwWQFE

nh
Feb 2, 2003
Do it. That song is beautifully violent.

While I figure out how I'm gonna do Symphony of Destruction, this is my Skyfall:

https://soundcloud.com/stepwisecliche/skyfall-adele-cover

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Ohhhhh nice!

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I am going to end up not being able to do this one, decided to get a new apartment so I have been so focused on moving that I forgot all about Rockstar.

nh
Feb 2, 2003
Here's Symphony of Destruction. It's long, but it's easy listening so you can just put it on and stop paying attention. I would've rather put a sax solo in the middle than a guitar solo, but it is what it is.

https://soundcloud.com/stepwisecliche/symphony-of-destruction-cover

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

So mine has slowly morphed into a mash up of Black Label Society and Johnny Cash. Still trying to figure out whether I should be proud or ashamed.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Okay I'm going to do the obvious and extend the deadline. Let's say February 13, so we can put it on GBS just in time for Valentine's Day.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
gently caress yall I killed this poo poo seven weeks ago while you guys weeped over Ziggy Stardust.

I kid. Fine. Hurry up and rosin your bow, soak your reed, string your cat guts.

Bitches.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Tayter Swift posted:

For about a year now I've wanted to do an... expansion of the ending sting of those Protect and Survive videos. Dunno if it'll really fit the 'cover' rule but I think I'll finally try to get that onto DAW.

Okay this is about as good as I can stand to do. It's by far the most polished track I've ever done. It rather strays from the 'cover of a ten-second music sting' bit but hopefully it'll still work for the contest.

https://soundcloud.com/dumbledog/action-after-warnings

Certainly wouldn't mind some feedback on production.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Niiiiiiiiice! Made me think of that song "nineteen" for the first time in many years.

e: In case anyone here is too young to know wtf I"m talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcFFEjq5Ap8

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Holy poo poo is that song a blast from the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Right? The summer that came out it seems like it was playing everywhere, constantly.

• Locked thread