Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marverick
Jan 9, 2004
Retired Webcartoonist
Welp, after hoofing it alone with my friend and learning the ropes we're ready to join up with you guys.

GT: JeffyBed (Same as my character name)

The friend's name is KAL EL ingame. I'll get in touch and head towards the base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^^ Jesus Jeffy you've got the stamina, you showed up at the most awkward moment like you found out, with the new patch rolling out and knocking people offline in midair with other people's gear etc. Glad you found us though!

PriorMarcus posted:

It's supremely annoying that you aren't guaranteed a place on a server after you've made progress on it. At this point it seems like you'll just made a ton of level 5 characters on different servers and have to never return to them.
I guess that they announced that they're going to make newbie only servers for trial which ought to help a load, because the level 1 trtial players named "John" and "Bob" and "jane" is ridiculous, and I'll kill pretty much any Option #1 White Guy who's level5 or below with no clan, no gear, anda pre-made name. Please at least make your name unique (and easy to say or type), so we don't have 5 Oprahs in our clan.

Imean I'm literally just the premade tall black guy and I don't think I've ever seen another one. We also need some really badly proprotioned people because you cna make some terrible abortions of humanity in this game, and then just be cool with having a 12 inch waist and 55 inch chest and forearms the size of popeye, connected to matchsticks.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 23, 2015

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

will we be able to eventually transition to other servers? the thought of topping out my crafting experience with basic primitive weapons and tools 'coz my friend is stupid and didnt bother to think what the server names mean kind of blows

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I made my guy completely emaciated except for giant muscular legs. I was gonna call him LEGDAY 247 but I wanted my username in there, such is life.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

coyo7e posted:

We also need some really badly proprotioned people because you cna make some terrible abortions of humanity in this game

Good thing I just joined the tribe, because I did this.

Who even doesn't make a frankenstein monster in this game? I mean, really. That's the whole point of the character creator.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Theoretically the best character is one that has all dimensions at minimum (because you have a smaller hitbox that way) except hands, which should be as big as possible, because weapons scale in size with your hands so bigger hands = longer spears. Bizzare but true.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Funkmaster General posted:

Theoretically the best character is one that has all dimensions at minimum (because you have a smaller hitbox that way) except hands, which should be as big as possible, because weapons scale in size with your hands so bigger hands = longer spears. Bizzare but true.

poo poo, I made my hands hilariously tiny.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

one that has all dimensions at minimum (because you have a smaller hitbox that way)
Source? This isn't true when it comes to collision, at least. My dwarf has the same troubles walking under 1-high catwalks as anyone else, even though he appears to have an extra foot of space overhead.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Jackard posted:

Source? This isn't true when it comes to collision, at least. My dwarf has the same troubles walking under 1-high catwalks as anyone else, even though he appears to have an extra foot of space overhead.

Not true for collision, only for attacks. Specifically, the hitbox for headshots is affected by size, both in terms of how large your head is and how high off the ground its situated (if it wasn't, you'd have to shoot above a short man's head to crit him). It's mostly a PVP thing and even then mostly a spergy PVP thing and I don't actually think you should do this because it looks moronic and not even in a funny way.

The hands thing is easily tested, though, and very observable by standing next to other players and comparing spear sizes (heh).

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

The hands thing is easily tested, though, and very observable by standing next to other players and comparing spear sizes (heh).

Hopefully this doesn't actually change the hitboxes for the weapons. Because if it does, that's stupid as hell.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Laserface posted:

will we be able to eventually transition to other servers? the thought of topping out my crafting experience with basic primitive weapons and tools 'coz my friend is stupid and didnt bother to think what the server names mean kind of blows
Someone said there's supposed to be (now or in the future, I dunno) a way to transfer your character to another server sans gear, but only on non-PVP servers for fairly obvious reasons. We're on PVP NA official 65. :(

From what I've heard though, PvE is actually a worse place to try and get a base up and going, because it's supremely easy to just make a low level dcharacter with a ton of move speed and stamina, and then go aggro t-rexes and drag them past other people's spike walls where they will proceed to destroy the base and probably all of their dinosaurs.. And you can't even kill the player so you have to resort to weird means like catching him and grabbing him with your ptera then dropping him in a metal box and walling him in.

I mean you can do the same thing on a PVP server but the chances of someone spotting you training around alpha (the glowing red ones) t-rexes and calling out your name in global chat, means you'll probably get killed out of hand until you give up and go somewhere else. Addendum to the above - if you're being chased by an angry huge dinosaur, do not run inside our base, let it kill you somewhere retrievable, we can easily grab your body for you with a pteranadon if we're nearby, or just replace all your gear, and far easier than our tame dinos or walls.

We've got a pretty solid stream of metal coming in right now and we're working at accumulating enough obsidian to fuel the genny.

It seemed yesterday that we are in agreement that the resource-gathering herbivores are pretty much fair game to borrow, but yesterday a new patch came out (or they re-released the same one? It didn't kick me offline last patch), and it feels like pteranadons are SUPER flighty (pun intended) and htey keep panicking and flying off when they get near combat and you're not riding them.. Cykko lost one pterra to this yesterday because it just hosed off and left him to fight off a zillion bugs, and then Pidgey found his OTHER one he'd lost days prior, just hovering in midair chilling, so we replaced the loss, but we're still technically one pteranadon short.

The herbivores are really slow so it's hard to go so far that you get irreperably turned around and lost and then your ride can't fly off in a random direction (and if he tried, the ground would shake and notify you).

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 23, 2015

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Laserface posted:

Uhhh primitive servers are medieval tech, not caveman tech.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
So are people just leaving their characters AFK on the servers? Because these join times are ridiculous. Tried twice yesterday to get in without success, and failing again today.

I get it's the holidays, and people have time off to play games, but this is brutal. I don't want to play left-left-a simulator for an hour every time I want to log in. They desperately need to add more servers.

EDIT: Of course right after I post I got in. Only took 25 minutes! :haw:

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 23, 2015

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
After reading this thread I'm so joining to play hopefully early enough for some goonswarming of the other people playing this.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
FYI a blue obelisk spawned right over the hill by the main gate of our base - I'm not a high enough level to open it, but someone should grab it. Announced over tribe chat too, but I don't know if anyone high enough level is around,

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

squidgee posted:

FYI a blue obelisk spawned right over the hill by the main gate of our base - I'm not a high enough level to open it, but someone should grab it. Announced over tribe chat too, but I don't know if anyone high enough level is around,

Blue is 25 I think? To be honest I've stopped grabbing them. Yellow, purple, red are the only ones I care about anymore.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Blue is 25 I think? To be honest I've stopped grabbing them. Yellow, purple, red are the only ones I care about anymore.

Yeah, requires level 25.

Hepnotic
Jan 23, 2003
optional; no images are allowed, only text

squidgee posted:

So are people just leaving their characters AFK on the servers? Because these join times are ridiculous. Tried twice yesterday to get in without success, and failing again today.

You learn how to attempt to join the server with one hand, while the other hand clutches a smartphone or tablet thats playing netflix or youtubes. The server join attempts become as involuntary as your digestive system.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Attempting to get on the 65 server, my name will be Ween when I get on, it's currently full.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Joining the server grind :: Grinding materials in game

Everything is a lesson.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
You guys were not kidding about waiting to get in, I've tried twice now for a decent amount of time and have not been in.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Beastie posted:

You guys were not kidding about waiting to get in, I've tried twice now for a decent amount of time and have not been in.

Yeah, it's not the best. You basically just have to spam hard for 5-30 minutes while doing something else. It's too bad, too, because it disincentivizes jumping on for a quick 15-30 minute session. The game itself is aces once you get into a server, though.

Ostensibly the developers are adding a bunch of extra servers, and putting trial players onto their own dedicated trial servers to free up space on the regular servers for paying players, so hopefully the joining situation is remedied soon. Post-Christmas would be rather tough with the current setup.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 24, 2015

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Jackard posted:

Uhhh primitive servers are medieval tech, not caveman tech.

how does that make my argument of 'i want to make guns and laser-saurus rexes but my friend is a retard' any less accurate?

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Laserface posted:

how does that make my argument of 'i want to make guns and laser-saurus rexes but my friend is a retard' any less accurate?

Come join us on server #65 before you've leveled up too far. :toot:

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
Found "Thor's Chosen" near the base of green tower, around 60, 65. Decided to empty their stone, wood, and thatch reserves because I could just jump in. Then had a lovely glitch stop all comms with coyote.

Worth it.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
Ignore

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

GodspeedSphere posted:

Found "Thor's Chosen" near the base of green tower, around 60, 65. Decided to empty their stone, wood, and thatch reserves because I could just jump in. Then had a lovely glitch stop all comms with coyote.

Worth it.
Local voice chat in the game gets more and more spotty either 1: the faster you're moving together, or 2: the more "stuff" is nearby. It ends up getting badly laggy and also unhelpful when you're flying at night with someone else on a flying mount and only one of you had vague directions and you don't want to be spotted by enemies but his mount was 10% faster so his voice just cuts out with no warning :argh:

Our base has enough pets and structures and people running around that most of us just gave up and went into parties - like most of the major clans on the same server. There is no chat cut-out or lag in a party though! :woop:

We're a day or two of effort (except the holiday) from getting automated turrets on our base, for reference. No chance of us winning the prize - I'd bet it will be claimed by a fraternity with two or three Bones connected so they can all rotate in and out and keep farming.

We're already starting to debate which clans need to be purged to open up more space, and where to move next.. We just need to make sure most are on the same page since they keep going LD in a grope-pile in the center of our living room

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Dec 24, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
This may have been his update about the epic amount of effort put in by various members of the clan to recover the bodies/gear/mounts of everybody, no matter what, over the last two days...

In fact I think we need to start being like "whoops sorry bro you're screwed" but then again I'm not the guy with four flying mounts so when I flew over that hosed-up spot in the middle of the map and my console crashed, I'd literally already assumed that I had lost EVERYTHING I had on, plus my ONLY level 40+ pteranadon.. But after 15 or so minutes I got back into the server and sice I'd (non-fatally distance) been near the ground myself, my gear, and my mount were still there - and since I wasn't hauling rear end on a pternaadon and instead standing on the ground, the bugged-out number of enmies in the swamp at 50.50 didnt' crash me a second time (but good lord stay away from that area when flying!)

Then an hour or so later we were going on a group expedition and I flew off first because I got bored, and two random (to my knowledge) dudes killed both me and my mount and claimed I'd stolen one of their bodies' loot, despite me never knowing their names until they'd killed me, and they also killed my flying mount which seems to really upset everyone else in the game when they find out that assholes will kill your mount just to check your body to see if you stole some gear. ;)

Also we found one of Cykko's lost mounts yesterday, which he apparently lost three days before and nobody hosed with it. So if you never see a chat log update (also turn on log-in announces, gamertags in chat, and anything else that seems useful) you can manually dig into and scroll up the backlog to see who killed your favorite pet - it's probably still alive somewhere, and any tribe member can bring him home...

No Pidgey, I will not tell you where I found your frog but it was :krad:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Dec 24, 2015

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Okay guys, I need to make a big effort post about the server politics and poo poo but here's the short verson:

WE ARE ALLIED WITH:

D2M
Agony

WE ARE AT PEACE WITH:

Unrivaled Gaming

DO NOT gently caress WITH BECAUSE THEY ARE TOO BIG:

The First Order
Ark Police
Tribe of Dill

FAIR GAME:

Viserian Order
OneUnit
Anyone with no tribe, or a tribe named "tribe of username" (except Dill).

Everyone else, try to avoid messing with due to security concerns. We aren't strong enough to get away with goonrushing yet, because the server's more powerful clans are all ganging up on griefers. Just bide your time, I promise a day will come where you can mess with whomever you wish, that day is just not today.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I left a metal sickle in the weapons and armor chest - they are only used for harvesting fiber from bushes and bamboo so please leave it unless you want to bring back fiber. It's a spare but still, not many of us can make them and they can get 200+ fiber in like 2 minutes.

Also for newer players who've joined us, if you toggle an industrial appliance on/off it will use up 1 gasoline each toggle, which takes TONS of time to farm, so please be careful poking around on them. We ought to have hundreds of cooked meat in the new refrigerator upstairs though, now. And the electric lights are boss!

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Guys don't take a full stack of cooked meat with you. Take like 5. 300 cooked meat got eated in like 5 hours, Christ.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Guys don't take a full stack of cooked meat with you. Take like 5. 300 cooked meat got eated in like 5 hours, Christ.
to be fair I was carrying 60 (on cykko's recommend since we were going on a long arctic expedition ;) ) when those dinks ganked me

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Okay guys, I need to make a big effort post about the server politics and poo poo but here's the short verson:

This is super helpful - thanks!

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
Also, it occurs to me that once the devs add in-game alliance mechanics (they're listed as upcoming in patch notes), we may want to create a second tribe for our derpy goon antics to compliment the current carebeary tribe. That way one tribe can do standard goon poo poo, and the other can do resource gathering/base building/etc. without incurring the wrath of the pubbies.

Whether or not that's feasible will depend on how the alliances are eventually implemented, and on OMG OPESEC which historically is always terrible. That said, it might be a happy compromise between appeasing the folks who only want to build/craft/tame (which is really valuable unless everyone plans to play way too much Ark), and appeasing the folks who want to take advantage of the potential this game has for comedy.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Finally made it onto the server, I'll be playing all night. My character is Boognish.

I've only played enough of Singleplayer to craft a hit and the basic tools, haven't touched taming.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Beastie posted:

Finally made it onto the server, I'll be playing all night. My character is Boognish.

I've only played enough of Singleplayer to craft a hit and the basic tools, haven't touched taming.

Seems every time someone joins us its at the worst moment lol, trying to find you now.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
We also absorbed another guild full of charming dudes from the british isles.

Really sorry about that, Beatles, or whatever your name was, I really wanted to fly over and loving find you but I was stuck in the middle of trying to tame a dino 20 feet from our base's front door and then things went haywire.

Nobody bothered to narc or feed the flying mount passed out literally a few yards from the front door - within our walls, next to a food preserving bin and lots of light sources.

Merry loving Xmas, I'm not making any more community use fliers.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 25, 2015

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

So we came back from an expedition to find that the trikes, who were on wander, have wandered through the walls of our house and are now inside. Inside of the house. Two triceratops.

This is something of an issue.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

As Coyote briefly mentioned, we merged with D2M, the tribe next door, until such time as a tribe alliance system is patched in.

These are the British, non-goon guys who have been our bros since the beginning. They are going to mostly keep to their own base(s), but the area between our two HQs is being roped off. We now have control over a much larger chunk of land - the largest piece of claim out of anyone on the server except Unrivaled Gaming, who has two massive bases. Most of our space is being put to use, while most of theirs is not, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Seems every time someone joins us its at the worst moment lol, trying to find you now.

I wandered around for about 40 minutes before I gave up. I spawned at the wrong zone so my map was really fleshed out therefore making it difficult to triangulate the base location. Where is 70/70 in relation to the green tower? Where is the tower in relation to x/y?

I'll try popping back on today.

Gt: Beastie Bomber, caveman name is Boognish.

Edit: I have found the tribe.

Beastie fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 25, 2015

• Locked thread