Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DINOSARUS
Jul 16, 2006
Our base just got attacked by a Giganotosaurus, it could quite easily have wiped out our HQ if it weren't for the heroic, suicidal and in any other situation downright stupid actions of our leader Funkmaster General. It killed 3 of our plant x defenses as well as 3 of our prized dinosaurs including our Stegosaurus "A Big Dumb Jerk" before Funkmaster General lured it out into the ocean where it drowned.

Edit: and now I can't stop falling off cliffs and dying.

DINOSARUS fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

DINOSARUS posted:

Our base just got attacked by a Giganotosaurus, it could quite easily have wiped out our HQ if it weren't for the heroic, suicidal and in any other situation downright stupid actions of our leader Funkmaster General. It killed 3 of our plant x defenses as well as 3 of our prized dinosaurs including our Stegosaurus "A Big Dumb Jerk" before Funkmaster General lured it out into the ocean where it drowned.

Edit: and now I can't stop falling off cliffs and dying.
It was led off into the sea to gently caress off and die because of its terribad stamina - just like ru paul v1!, except in deeper water!

Enjoy the poo poo out of that carno, man, I owe you it at the least. You can also *always* jack my pterra to recover your body, it's offical we got a din-omance :glomp:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 27, 2015

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I tried this game once on my old computer but refunded it since it wouldn't run. You guys make it sound actually fun, but I'm a cheapass and keep waiting for it to be cheaper than 17/18 bucks. Where all the secret sales at?

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Khanstant posted:

I tried this game once on my old computer but refunded it since it wouldn't run. You guys make it sound actually fun, but I'm a cheapass and keep waiting for it to be cheaper than 17/18 bucks. Where all the secret sales at?

Xbox One doesn't have them as often as Steam - and I'm not sure I'd hold out for a sale on a Game Preview game at all. Especially not one so recently released.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Our base defenses were tested today when we were attacked by a Gigantosaurus, the largest and most powerful creature in the game (excepting the dragon boss and event-only dodorex). Three times as large as a T-Rex. This was a wild giga, not a tamed one, but he was far outside his natural habitat and I have a strong suspicion that he was lured to our base by someone.

At first we noticed our Stego ("A Big Dumb Jerk") was killed by it and immediately assumed Coyote had taken it much too far away in his berry-farming efforts. Of course, mid fingerpoint our Sarco ("Chocodile") who was definitely at base and one of the few dinos set to attack intruders, also died. Whuh-oh.

At the time, myself, Cykko, and Dinosarus were out establishing a second base. I hopped on my Pteranadon and flew back, expecting the worst.

What I found was at once terrifying but relieving. The giga was chomping on our turtle ("Raphael"), who had been set to neutral and probably came to Chocodile's aid. Were it not for his insane 2000 hp, the base may well have been destroyed. As I arrived, the giga finished him off and then took out our nearby Plant Species X, at which point I began to try to solve the problem.

At first, I tried divebombing him with the Pteranadon. This seemed rather ineffective. The goal here was not to kill him, but rather to draw his rage and lure him away from the base. No such luck, he snapped at my flyer whenever I flew past his head, but otherwise ignored me.

Next try: Tranqing it. I fired what I had on me, which was 15 tranq arrows, from my crossbow and got a direct headshot with each - not as impressive as it may sound, this thing's head is not a small target. Obviously, this did nothing. Next, i grabbed the much more potent, and much more expensive, tranq darts and a rifle, shooting these at its head as well, and again, nothing. In a last-ditch effort. I ran up and stabbed it in the ankle repeatedly. This did the trick! He turned toward me after a dozen stabs or so and started chasing me. He caught up to me and killed me a short distance away, partially because I stopped to open a behemoth gate. I respawned and he had moved to our neighbor's boat and was chomping on it. This is were I saw my chance: I hopped in the helm, barely dodging his chomping jaws, and steered the boat out to sea as fast as I could.

This thing is strong, and powerful, and massive, but boy is it not smart. It followed me out to the ocean, ran out of stamina, and drowned. And on this day, the tribe of DRS was victorious! His corpse, which typically contains very good loot, had a handful of berries and a slingshot, plus half the arrows I shot at it.

And that's the story of how we survived a giga attack with no structural damage whatsoever.

Here's what we learned from the attack:

1) Our multi-wall, multi-gate layered outer perimeter is a pain in the rear end, but also extremely effective at slowing down large creatures.

2) The most useless possible creatures, such as turtles, can serve the most noble purpose - bait and tank. Raphael, you will be missed, and you can bet your sweet rear end we'll be surrounding our base with turtletanks in the future.

3) Everyone who called me an idiot for building on the beach can suck my dick. If we were inland, our base with hundreds of manhours of work would have slowly disintegrated before our eyes with nothing to do about it. (To be fair, nobody actually called me an idiot for this, and I freely admit that the base location is awful, but still.)

Khanstant posted:

The game won't go on sale during Preview, and official release will cost MORE, so if you want to play it and are a cheapass this is actually the best time.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 27, 2015

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Funkmaster General posted:

This was a wild giga, not a tamed one, but he was far outside his natural habitat and I have a strong suspicion that he was lured to our base by someone.

So who lured? And how do I lure?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

GodspeedSphere posted:

So who lured? And how do I lure?
Hit a monster until it's mad, and then run away and toward something, so it attacks the other thing. I can draw you a diagram if that helps.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I was planning on replacing Jerk this morning but cykko sez we don't need a steggo and to go farm narcoberries on a trike instead. So I went to tame a female turtle instead, the eggs will be helpful taming the bronto he wants to get. Looks like Monkey got another carno as well, so we ought to be good in the attack mount department for now.

Remember folks, try and tame a female whenever possible, because eggs are super rare and insanely helpful, they can cut down taming times by like 75%.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 27, 2015

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
RIP A Big Dumb Jerk

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Just bought the game, I'll try to find the fort today. Reading about taming dinosaurs, it seems to involve drugging them into acquiescence.

Vote to refer to taming as "Cosbying" from here on out.

I'm going to try to Cosby my first dino with my single player character, then I'll try to join NA-65

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Just bought the game, I'll try to find the fort today. Reading about taming dinosaurs, it seems to involve drugging them into acquiescence.

Vote to refer to taming as "Cosbying" from here on out.

This is the best idea.

EDIT: I'm at the point where I'd buy a paid DLC that switched the location of the "Bookmark" and "Join" buttons.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 27, 2015

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I will attempt to get my caveman on today but servers.....

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
Had a profitable day of caveman. Tamed a flier, tamed a carno, lost the flier, found my dead body floating in a swamp. Crafted a compass (nearly worthless) and a spyglass which is surprisingly useful. Not only is the zoom bonkers on this thing, but it shows names and levels.

Story time: I eyeballed Pedro of the horse egg tribe taming an anklyo near home. I hid in the bushes until he tramped away on his trike with brand new goon spawn Rafe on my tail. Then I ran across the river and stole everything from the anklyo's inventory, dashing out of there and keeping the mats for myself. Meager wages of sin, but well earned.

Fastford an hour and several pique-inducing mishaps later and I find Pedro still at it taming this anklyo, and now with a buddy. I can't even get close, so I circle the long way around and starting raining arrows on the anklyo from the plateau directly above them. Score enough hits to nearly kill it before they eyeball the caveman silhouette looking over the cliff edge. Giddy with griefer glee I run the gently caress away and let them keep the most troublesome tame ever.

GodspeedSphere fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 28, 2015

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
So I straight up can't join servers - it either gets stuck on, "Joining session..." forever, or tells me that, "Connection timed out." Reset X1, router reset, deleted the 512mb cache, nothing has worked so far.

Anyone dealt with this? How did you fix it?

EDIT: Uninstalled and re-installed overnight. Seems to have fixed it. :wtf:

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 28, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
While I doubt I and the co-leaders will ever see eye to eye, I had a very opportune and pleasant chance to sit and talk about item/monster/etc spawns and well, I think his ideas are way more solid than mine and if we stay on the same page, we will own all the bitches.

Then I spent 2 hrs taming a new flyiing mount without kibble and then it immediately loving vanished. I'm going to sleep, I hope someone find that loving bird but I don't give a good god drat. If you see a low level female pterra near where I trained that bronto, please bring her home because I trained her for 3 hrs and then she vanished without a loving trace, first time I've had that happen.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
:siren: Don't talk too much :siren: - it will give the pubby leader of the DRS goon tribe, a headache. If you had a headache all day before that, it doesn't matter, his headache trumps all other priorities!

We just need to :a2m: FunkMaster General shiny pidgey's best buddy cykko (who will flat flip the hell out and threaten to leave the tribe and take all HIS DINOS WITH HIM if you call him on his own issues), and make sure that he doesn't think you stole materials, or made too much noise over the mic because cykko's got a headache so EVERYONE SHOULD SHUT THE gently caress UP RIGHT NOW etc.

I thought being a goon was about reality-checking people who took poo poo too seriously? Perhaps I'm mistaken and it's actually about being uber-serious about clan alliances and tech trees. I am sorry, I was having fun accidentally killing other goons' dinos and replacing them with one 50 levels higher a day or so later IRL.

Wasn't the entire point of being a goon and getting onto a game... That we don't take it too seriously?

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 29, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Other than that, we're p much winning the game on server NA-O-65, nobody has a chance

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

coyo7e posted:

Other than that, we're p much winning the game on server NA-O-65, nobody has a chance

On the one hand, we're winning because of all the spergy pubbies.

On the other hand, a British pubbie yelled at me over chat in ALL CAPS for being in their base (aka our base), and I was told in no uncertain terms to, "Stay in the goon side of the base." I was literally just looking around since I hadn't been on for days due to connection issues and the holidays.

So...yeah. Internet dinosaurs is serious business. :spergin:

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

CJ Coyo7e has been removed from the tribe.

It is ridiculous that I feel the need to explain my actions publicly, but if I don't post our side of the story, everyone who isn't playing with us everyday could easily take his posts at face value and assume that we're assholes, and decide to go play elsewhere.

I want to make it crystal clear that, despite what he may claim (and what he sent me 20 whiny XBL messages about), this isn't a case of us taking the game too seriously, its a case of him taking everything else too seriously. He is constantly taking every comment, no matter how playful, innocent, or even entirely unrelated to himself, as a very deep and cutting personal insult, and then lashing back at his perceived attackers and causing untold amounts of unnecessary drama while everyone else is just trying to have fun playing with dinosaurs. It's exasperating. Then he comes and posts here, trying to make me look bad, and implying my friend is somehow less worthy of playing with us because he didn't give :10bux: to Lowtax. He has posted drunk rantposts in this thread several times, not a single word of which isn't wildly exaggerated if not wholly fabricated.

I don't give a poo poo when he loses dinos, we all lose them. I don't give a poo poo when he starts fights with other tribes, it's a PVP game. I don't give a poo poo when he ignores all of our advice and spends our metal on bullets to shoot dinosaurs with. I do, however, give a poo poo when he spends hours upon hours in voice chat, or public text chat when we lock him out of the party, complaining about his own idiocy, demanding praise and rewards for every helpful action, and commentating every second of his gameplay and throwing hissy fits whenever he's told, finally, to just please shut up for a while.

I kept ignoring the problem, because he's a goon, because I used to play Magic and Terraria with him and he was cool back then, because I am incredibly patient, and because I wanted desperately for everyone to just get along already and play a fun game. I've run out of patience, though.

Ultimately, the game is not fun when he's around. Every one of the people who are regularly on agree that he's the problem, and after the fit he threw tonight, I no longer feel bad about calling him out on his bullshit.

He'll find himself on a raft in the ocean the next time he logs in, with food, water, and basic supplies along with his favorite dinosaur (excluding those he's already lost) and, as is tradition, a gun with a single bullet.

I'm sorry for the big spergy rantpost. I couldn't let his asinine posting in the thread go unanswered. Once the fallout from this last dramabomb is over we can all go back to having fun times with dinosaurs and maybe this thread will stop scaring away players.

squidgee posted:

On the one hand, we're winning because of all the spergy pubbies.

On the other hand, a British pubbie yelled at me over chat in ALL CAPS for being in their base (aka our base), and I was told in no uncertain terms to, "Stay in the goon side of the base." I was literally just looking around since I hadn't been on for days due to connection issues and the holidays.

So...yeah. Internet dinosaurs is serious business. :spergin:

We're almost done moving northward, so this will no longer be an issue. That said, you can poke around in their base all you want; its part of the agreement when we took them in. We protect them, they share their stuff. Without the merger they'd have had their base demolished by now. They're chill dudes except that ginge fellow. And they poke around in our base plenty. They refuse to name their beds, so sometimes we even end up in there by accident. Tell me if they bother you about being over there again.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Dec 29, 2015

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sounds like joining server 66 with my mates was best when we decided to switch to a. On-prim server. gently caress goon drama.

Nashlogic
Oct 22, 2010
Personally I find reading about the drama to be at least a little entertaining. I hopped onto 65 and dicked around a bit, I found a DRS base on a cliff on the west coast just before the snow biome. It has a gap in the defenses that allowed me to get in a couple times. You may want to add another spike wall or two to the south right by the base. I could get around that last one and your turrets didn't have los on me. Just some friendly advice.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Are there any posts in this thread that aren't about a specific clan/server? If not, I'll probably just move it to Private Game Servers. Anyone using this thread for general game information, etc.?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also, between them, Funky G and the coyote guy represent around half the posts in the thread, total. That isn't an exaggeration. Maybe slightly more than half, which tells me that this should be in PGS.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Are there any posts in this thread that aren't about a specific clan/server? If not, I'll probably just move it to Private Game Servers. Anyone using this thread for general game information, etc.?

It's intended to be a general game thread but interest was so low at the beginning that it sort of morphed into a clan thread. Do what you feel you need, bur the volume of posts from me and CJ is most likely about to go down.

Nashlogic posted:

Personally I find reading about the drama to be at least a little entertaining. I hopped onto 65 and dicked around a bit, I found a DRS base on a cliff on the west coast just before the snow biome. It has a gap in the defenses that allowed me to get in a couple times. You may want to add another spike wall or two to the south right by the base. I could get around that last one and your turrets didn't have los on me. Just some friendly advice.

That's our new base, still under construction. We know you can get over the spike walls. You aren't going to get to the actual base safely though, between the dinos and turrets (which are intentionally set to low range ATM) and those spike walls are there to mark our space right now, and are being replaced with a ring of behemoth gates soon enough.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 29, 2015

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
Drammmmaaaaaa. I knew this game reminded me of Eve Online. :ccp:

We're almost done moving northward, so this will no longer be an issue. That said, you can poke around in their base all you want; its part of the agreement when we took them in. We protect them, they share their stuff.

Huh, ok. Cykko was the one that told me to stay on the "goon side" of the base, so I assumed it was some weird unwritten rule I didn't know about. Good to know.

re: moving north - what's the best way to get up there? I'm still derping in the south. Fast travel and just grab new basic stuff, or grab a flyer and move it up north?

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 29, 2015

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

squidgee posted:

Huh, ok. Cykko was the one that told me to stay on the "goon side" of the base, so I assumed it was some weird unwritten rule I didn't know about. Good to know.

re: moving north - what's the best way to get up there? I'm still derping in the south. Fast travel and just grab new basic stuff, or grab a flyer and move it up north?

I think he was being overly cautious.

The easiest way to get to the new base is to fast travel, but if you have a flyer left at the old HQ, you should try to take it with you. I'll be in shortly if you need help.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Wow, I figured you at least had the balls to kick me out while I was there.

Guess not!

Gentleman Blogger
Sep 19, 2003

directions make no sense in the grand scheme of things.
WOW I'm having flashbacks to the early days of EVE goons. So, I wanna come play with you dudes, as my wife has made a fairly highly leveled character playing by herself, but has all the drat dramallama poo poo stopped?

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah, coyote's gone. He's drama queen extraordinaire, everyone else is chill.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Gentleman Blogger posted:

WOW I'm having flashbacks to the early days of EVE goons. So, I wanna come play with you dudes, as my wife has made a fairly highly leveled character playing by herself, but has all the drat dramallama poo poo stopped?

Yes.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

He'll find himself on a raft in the ocean the next time he logs in, with food, water, and basic supplies along with his favorite dinosaur (excluding those he's already lost) and, as is tradition, a gun with a single bullet.
:laffo: I'll have to borrow this in the future

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I made it in somehow, don't kill me. GT His Mail Lover

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I made it in somehow, don't kill me. GT His Mail Lover

LB + back to talk, we are taming a shark at the new base, so it'll be a few minutes before we get to you to let you in.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I got disconnected before I could check the gates, but I closed them all the last time I came in so as long as yall did the same we should be good.

Good meeting you all. If I can somehow get on again, I'll gather lots more wood.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Was on the fence about this until I read

Some of the largest creatures can even be built upon, creating walking/flying fortresses that are sure the strike fear in the heart of unsuspecting pubbies.

So I bought this poo poo. Gamertag is Cubivore; however, I cannot join the server right now as it is full :saddowns:

e: in now!

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 31, 2015

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Taking a dinner break, but I'm up for rolling and hunting prime meat if someone with a rex wants to go on a hunt. You can take down the dino, and I'll transport it back to base on a raptor.

Skater h8er
May 11, 2013
Just bought this and downloading it now gt is skater h8er and will be my in-game name as well

Skater h8er
May 11, 2013
Made a small bed near the goons base waiting to be invited in when someone is on

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

This thread is long overdue for some actual information. The two most common questions coming from newer players are "How should I spec myself?" and "How do I gather X?" Here's your effortpost.

How should I spec my stats?

The most important stats for a new player are health and melee damage. The former is important for your survivability, while the latter affects both how much damage you can output and how many materials you can gather from resource nodes. Stamina lets you run longer, making escaping large predators more possible. Fortitude increases your resistance to extreme temperatures (important because our new base is located close to the snowy area) as well as your resistance to poisons and tranquilizers. Weight is less important, but still worth investing some points into, simply to make your life a bit easier. Note that you can get dinosaurs to carry things for you instead, but doing so always means you're putting two lives at risk instead of just one. Losing a dinosaur isn't a huge deal, but each one represents at least an hour of someone's time. Oxygen not only helps you breathe underwater, but also effects your underwater movement speed. Most people can probably ignore this stat, but the difference between never upgrading and putting a handful of levels in it is the difference between having to be careful around rivers and being able to dive deep underwater for pearls. Movement Speed does what it says on the tin, but be careful with this one - it's possible to move too fast and be unable to easily control where you're going. Food and Water increase the amount of time you can go without eating or drinking. This seems like a good idea to upgrade at earlier levels, but you probably shouldn't; you'll reach a point where these are easily managed even at normal levels. :siren:Crafting Speed is a complete joke, DO NOT UPGRADE IT. :siren:

Here's a general stat layout to shoot for:
Health : 200+
Stamina: 150
Oxygen: 100 - 180
Food: 100 (No points spent)
Water: 100 (No points spent)
Weight: 150-200
Melee Damage: 200-250
Movement Speed: 100-120 (no more than 130)
Fortitude: 10-14
Crafting Speed: 100 (AGAIN, DO NOT UPGRADE THIS)

What About Engrams?

In order to be self-sufficient, you'll want to grab the engrams for basic stone tools, as well as Torch, Campfire, Hide Sleeping Bag. You'll also want Narcotic, as crafting them in bulk is an extremely easy way to gain experience. Aside from this, we have pretty much everything covered. One or more of us can make anything else you might need, and we have blueprints for most of the important things, such as metal tools and weapons, most varieties of saddle, and tons of building pieces. Generally speaking, the best use of your points is to hold on to them for expensive high-level gear later on, like specialty saddles. That said, your engram points won't be in high demand until you reach a very high level, anyway. If there's something you'd like to make, and nobody is around to make it for you, don't feel like you're wasting points by grabbing the engram. If you're playing solo, or on a different server, this all goes out the window: you'll need to grab the engram for anything you want to build so there's no point asking what to get.

I made a mistake with my character build. How do I fix it?

If you're under level 30 or so, honestly the best way to fix a mistake with your stats or engram points is to die and choose "create new survivor" on the respawn screen. This will delete your character and start you off fresh as a level one character. This is not reversible, so make sure you really want to do it. If you're higher level, you can respec your character using Mindwipe Tonic. This is an expensive process, and we'll make you farm the materials for it yourself, so try to avoid making mistakes!

How do I gather poo poo?

Generally, there are two ways to gather any material: Manually, or with a Dinosaur. In many cases, getting materials manually is more tedious but ultimately more efficient, while dinosaur gathering is easier, less dangerous, and faster.

*Berries and Fiber both come from plants, such as ferns, bushes, and large flowers. Basically anything that isn't short grass or trees yields berries and fiber. You can gather either of these materials with your bare hands in a pinch (hold Y), but this is both slow and inefficient. To gather fiber, grab a metal scythe (if there isn't one at base, ask someone to build you one) and swing it at the bushes for fiber galore. For berries, take out one of the dinosaurs. The Bronto, Mammoth, and Trike are all excellent choices for this. Simply use RT while riding them to attack the bushes; you'll recieve large amounts of berries in mere seconds. Remember that Narcoberries and Mejoberries are worth saving, while everything else can be used as dino feed, turned into paint, or simply tossed away. If you want to dino-gather fiber, you'll need a Gigantopithicus (the giant apeman).

*Wood and Thatch both come from trees. You can hand-gather these materials by punching the tree (which hurts you, so be careful!) or by hitting them with tools. Remember that metal tools are more efficient than stone, and that your melee damage stat improves yield. A pick will gather you lots of thatch, while a hatchet will gather lots of wood. To dino gather wood, use a mammoth, for thatch, use a bronto.

*Stone, Flint, Metal, and Obsidian all come from rocks. You cannot hand-gather any of these materials (except basic stone, which you can pick up off the beach with Y) without tools. Stone and Flint come from *all* rocks. Hit them with with a pickaxe to get lots of flint, metal, or obsidian, or a hatchet to get lots of stone. Metal can very rarely appear in regular rocks, uncommonly appear in smooth river rocks, and will always come from metal rocks (which have gold lines on them) or metal veins (which are almost completely gold). Obsidian only comes from special, smooth, dark black rocks. To dino gather these materials, use a Dodi or an Ankylo, and just hit the rocks. To do this more effectively, you can have one player on the Ankylo while a second player carries him with a Quetzal. Because the latter can move faster and over uneven terrain, and has higher carrying capacity, you can get a lot of materials very quickly. This is the best way to gather metal.

*Crystal comes from giant glowing crystals, either on top of large mountains or in the snowy region. Hit them with a pickaxe. You can gather crystal with dinos, but doing so is not effective enough to be worth the extra effort.

*Oil deposits and Silica Pearl clams are deep underwater (best gathered using an Icthyosaur or Megaladon or, in a pinch, a frog), although some can also be found aboveground in the snowy area of the island.

Gonna repost this in the second post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DINOSARUS
Jul 16, 2006
Myself and Cykko just got back from a metal run and a very wild and very dead brontosaurus was in the middle of our base. Bad news is our impenetrable base is penetrable by NPC dinos spawning in until we finish construction, but good news is our weapon systems might actually work, to celebrate this discovery, MEAT FOR EVERYONE!

In other news, GodspeedSphere/monkey has built a floating pirate fortress security ship and keeps venturing out to raid some of our select neighbours keep the waters safe, which sounds like a lot of fun so far.

• Locked thread