Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irrational Bees
Nov 2, 2013

by Lowtax
Disgusting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

je1 healthcare posted:

Despite their insufferable nature, they're at least putting something resembling effort into being parents of some sort. Eh, I've seen worse examples of humanity

Take for instance, the middle-aged Toronto man who abandoned his wife and 7 kids to become his true self, a 6 year-old girl.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...d-a6769051.html

Dressing like a princess is a fine and acceptable pastime, ignoring child support payments is not.

I had to scroll up to make sure this wasn't an onion article and I'm still unsure about whether or not it's satire

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum

That Robot posted:

um

they don't have to make up genders to do that

"I'm a guy who likes to knit" or "I'm a girl who likes to shoot guns and get drunk and rowdy"

none of that requires a new gender, especially one that nobody is going to take seriously like "demigirl" or "quiriosexual aromantic".

some angry primordial SWJ stood in from of them in an ENG 101 class and began to scream

"SOCIETY TELLS US THAT A MAN CAN ONLY LIKE GI JOES, SOCIETY TELLS US A GIRL CAN ONLY LIKE BARBIE DOLLS WE ARE HERE TODAY TO ESCAPE FROM THIS PRISON"

at that moment everyone would have been just better off calming down and not going into surgery or anything

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

CaptainSarcastic posted:

She's a philosophy professor, so of course her head is up her rear end. She takes her pet ideas to a point of reductio ad absurdum that is laughable.

*reads wiki article on Judith Butler*

hahaha what a loving loon

she uses obtuse language to confuse people, yet claims to be a Jew whole praising Hamas and Hezbollah, ignoring their genocidal rhetoric

I hope she gets caught in a scandal and is removed from academia

EndlessRob
Oct 16, 2008
"I'm a transblack genderqueer dadmom otherkin spivak, I win at being oppressed"

How many labels must one self-apply before one is happy?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

That Robot posted:

*reads wiki article on Judith Butler*

hahaha what a loving loon

she uses obtuse language to confuse people, yet claims to be a Jew whole praising Hamas and Hezbollah, ignoring their genocidal rhetoric

I hope she gets caught in a scandal and is removed from academia
So Jews can't be right?

Hot Cosby
Sep 23, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Yeah it's a cultural marxist word game they're playing that would make like 90 percent of people say theyre gender queer. frankfurt marxists are very specifically trying to destroy archaic social norms like gender roles and family units as ways enact social change they want. having all your kids walk up to you wearing lingerie and saying theyre queer after taking their mental correction meds (seriously like half of white children are on them) is just a part of the plan.

I sorta get what the endgoal is but how do they expect the shek..I mean dollars to keep rolling in when they turn all good people into broken sadbrains taking welfare horsepiss drugs as well as have an abundantly higher # of the more traditional "non-working" types still leeching off the system?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Hot Cosby posted:

I sorta get what the endgoal is but how do they expect the shek..I mean dollars to keep rolling in when they turn all good people into broken sadbrains taking welfare horsepiss drugs as well as have an abundantly higher # of the more traditional "non-working" types still leeching off the system?

Once everyone is dependent on the system to survive, you just have to manufacture threats to it to get what you want. It's not really that different from the system we have now other than the wackiness factor.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Baba Ganoush posted:

lmbo that people are physically switching genders over a fad, you know it's happening... there are people out there who are doing it just to fit in with their friends

I saw one isolated little group of extremely sadbrained nerds go from about 0.2% transsexuals to 10% in two years.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Hot Cosby posted:

its an accelerationist policy designed to create greater class consciousness. if you think about it it makes sense. the current paradigm of social relations allow exploitation to exists based on peoples general apathy towards others that arent part of their family/social circle/regional area. the more you can break people from their tribal tendency by throwing a fuckwrench into social norms the better. another not so secret benefit of this is that it greatly harms social conservatism as a political force.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

simple posted:

This, good luck finding a room to share at $900/month anywhere in San Francisco.

The sad part is there's LOTS of places with rent half that on the west coast, even in LA County.

Which leads me to believe "They can't pay poo poo and they're lying about having $900 a month." Then again, the couch surfing and unemployment should have given you that clue.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

I just saw that guy wasn't wearing a scarf.

That must qualify as the World's Biggest Mullet.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
if you remove my bonds to my family, friends and region then i will be an individualist who gives 0 fucks about anyone else at all, i won't immediately become class conscious

thats dumb

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

I used to think this way but last time I asked about it some goon actually took the time to explain it rather than saying that they didn't have to educate me but essentially the made up genders things are supposed to identify certain roles in society, it's kind of stereotyping in it's own way but it can also sorta makes sense. If you think of gender roles as sort of individual boxes of societal expectation, ie mommy cooks and daddy works or w/e, then deviations that are commonly known become their own genders of sorts. When you have enough dudes comfortable being a man but has an identity that doesn't mesh with traditionally masculine roles they essentially create a new gender role that they fit into.

It's hard to describe but it did make sense when I heard someone else explain it, but basically the gender people are talking about in those kind of discussions is coupled with the role that the gender is meant to fill in society.

If culturally entrenched gender roles are what you dislike and hope to do away with then I don't think I could ever come up with a more counterproductive strategy to do so than this.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I wonder if these people who think they are part robot, part faerie would have a heart attack if you were to approach them with a rod of iron and a bulk erase magnet?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SlipUp posted:

lol

if anyone thinks that's a joke ad, it is not. These people exist in droves. If you can't remember in the moment if it's a he/ she/ they/ xe/ xie/ jie/ jira/ co/ ve/ tey/ tem/ ter/ per/ na/ idam/ em/ rim/ et/ heshe/ hann/ herme/ sie/ zie/ ze/ zir/ hir/ spivak than you are unironically one of the cis genderbinary oppressors and you Need To Check Your Priviledge and apologize for triggering "them"(singular) because any error is a giant reminder of how hosed the whole thing is. Even if it is one of the binary genders you still get to hop on the women/wymyn train.

One day everyone will have the proper label and there will be peace on earth.

(Also, one of those pronouns is actually sandskrit. Guess which one!)

Here's the thing I find hilariously sad about all of this: Labels have literally never, ever loving helped free a group of people. Any label created for that purpose ALWAYS backfires, and instead, is easily used to classify them and eat a backlash. That's why it's really loving funny to me that there's this big push for 500 new labels, when all it's doing is causing people to mock them more.

Seriously if whoever runs these movements was campaigning for a lack of labels, it'd make a billion times more sense, period. It is kind of silly that gender pronouns are even a thing in casual conversation when it doesn't matter, just an odd tick of language. If people operated on a "Oh hi, I'm a person, here's what I'm like" attitude instead of needing these special titles all over the place.. it seems like it'd downplay the problems and move towards this "no judgement" utopia that is the claimed end goal.

Instead, it's turned into a mega "Special snowflake" situation and it's really grating on my loving nerves. This is getting absolutely ridiculous.

Oh one other question: Why has this poo poo EXPLODED in the last year or two? Like this was rightfully mocked as a stupid idea one minute, and the next, no news agency would be caught dead suggesting this is stupid.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Nope lol. I'd tap it if it shut up though.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

afeelgoodpoop posted:

its an accelerationist policy designed to create greater class consciousness. if you think about it it makes sense. the current paradigm of social relations allow exploitation to exists based on peoples general apathy towards others that arent part of their family/social circle/regional area. the more you can break people from their tribal tendency by throwing a fuckwrench into social norms the better. another not so secret benefit of this is that it greatly harms social conservatism as a political force.

How in the hell is throwing a fuckwrench into the way people expect social interactions to operate going to do anything but make them more likely to ignore and avoid people outside of their family/social circle/regional area?

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax
Very few trans people go by pronouns other than he, she, or they. The issue of special snowflake pronouns is artificially exaggerated because it's easy to make fun of. If it really makes you feel disappointed in an entire generation or some poo poo you're taking things too seriously

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Professor Shark posted:

I teach transgendered students, I'm glad they're cool and not nuts like these people.

Are you sure about that? Maybe they're just better at hiding it. After all, isn't a key part of being Trans believing that your body is inherently dysfunctional/broken/"wrong" and therefore you must butcher yourself in order to have a semblance of "right"? It's not that far off from otherkin and furries, save that those things involve fictional beings. There's still plenty of overlap.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

ghetto wormhole posted:

Lmao at these insane rents. I have a very nice 2 bedroom apartment with gas (all gas appliances) and water included for $870/mo here. Last place I lived was a slightly worse but still nice 3 bedroom house for $1000/mo.

Best coast my rear end.

yeah but if you don't live in california then you miss out on all the great unique stuff like uh

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wulfolme posted:

I saw one isolated little group of extremely sadbrained nerds go from about 0.2% transsexuals to 10% in two years.

But enough about The Something Awful Forums.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

skit herre posted:

For a long time I was really unsure about all those issues but now everything seems crystal clear

Obi Wan called Anakin Darth Vader out of contempt, though?

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I read this thread and I thought all this pronoun stuff was a joke. Now I weep with sadness. Please let the nukes fly.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

Obi Wan called Anakin Darth Vader out of contempt, though?

He literally says and acts like his best friend died. He told Luke that his father Anakin was dead because Darth Vader murdered him haha

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Panniculus Rift posted:

so is genderfluidity contagious or genetic or what???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folie_%C3%A0_deux

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
I can't stop farting.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

ArbitraryC posted:

It's hard to describe but it did make sense when I heard someone else explain it, but basically the gender people are talking about in those kind of discussions is coupled with the role that the gender is meant to fill in society.

Metrosexual and Sensitive New Age Guy managed to cover the rejection of conventional masculinity without making up new genders/pronouns.

Feminism would be absolutely meaningless if it was premised on the belief that in order to reject conventional gender roles one has to identify as something other than female/woman.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
there is no gender other than male or female

you might be varying degrees of one or the other, and I will concede that it is even conceivable that some people are so unmanly or so unladylike that they could easily be mistaken for one or the other and effectively be neuter

but there is no genuinely independent third category, you can't be both, and nothing besides this binary spectrum exists. stop making poo poo up, internet.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Baba Ganoush posted:

lmbo that people are physically switching genders over a fad, you know it's happening... there are people out there who are doing it just to fit in with their friends

my wife's ex-bf ended up falling in love with this vegan SJW chick and moved across the country to be her roommate. however even vegan SJW chicks want real men so he had to sleep on her couch listening to her get nailed nightly by her series of manlier boyfriends. not even his submission in becoming vegan could get her to gently caress him.

now he's been supercucked so hard he's literally decided he's a woman, walks around with balloons in his "ANARCHOFEMINIST" shirt for boobs. but of course is a lesbian woman, he still likes the vag.

just keep humiliating yourself and becoming less of a man for the sjw chick bro, it'll work you just need to try harder

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

The Saurus posted:

my wife's ex-bf ended up falling in love with this vegan SJW chick and moved across the country to be her roommate. however even vegan SJW chicks want real men so he had to sleep on her couch listening to her get nailed nightly by her series of manlier boyfriends. not even his submission in becoming vegan could get her to gently caress him.

now he's been supercucked so hard he's literally decided he's a woman, walks around with balloons in his "ANARCHOFEMINIST" shirt for boobs. but of course is a lesbian woman, he still likes the vag.

just keep humiliating yourself and becoming less of a man for the sjw chick bro, it'll work you just need to try harder

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm part baller and my pronoun is 'your grace' tyia

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

You are a nerd posted:

Until you realize that's not a scarf the guy is wearing.

holy gently caress

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

quote:

Blackbird Raum was formed in 2004 by banjoist C.P.N and accordionist Zack while wilderness squatting in Santa Cruz, California. The band was haphazard at first, playing gigs and busking with a band randomly composed of other squatters living in or around Santa Cruz.[1] Initially the band was not a success, and they made their first dollar from a man on a date who paid them to leave.

sounds about right

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

The Saurus posted:

Your wife certainly has a type.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Saurus posted:

drat that's next level

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

circ dick soleil posted:

:eyepop:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

circ dick soleil posted:

:master:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Didn't you guys notice that buzzfeed has trigger warnings for their articles now? How could we let his happen? Now the couch potatos with their sad child will be the ones running our country and making our laws...

• Locked thread