Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

je1 healthcare posted:

The majority do become more productive people, as a result of transition.

I mean yes it's hella discomforting, but still infinitely preferable over suicide.
This isn't actually true, I recall reading a couple studies referenced by a John hopkins dude where there was a huge chunk of people who regretted it and many who initially thought transgenderism was the silver bullet to their underlying psychological issues got better and decided they weren't transgender with just regular old therapy.

I'm not saying GID isn't an actual thing that exists for some people, but it's not transphobic to point out it's become somewhat of a fad among certain groups and the current rate of people claiming to have gid does not at all even remotely match up with medical estimates of the actual prevalence in a population which is less than 0.01%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Pawn 17 posted:

lmao there is no place worth living in the US that costs so little.

Also the douchey family in the OP should be paying double market rate to find roommates that will put up with their insane bullshit.
I mean if you don't live in a big city where you ignore all the "culture' and either stay in and watch netflix or go to bars with your friends like everyone else does in smaller cities then there's actually plenty of affordable and nice places. Dating is about the only thing that normal people do with any regularity that's easier in a bigger city and even then depending on the area there can be a huge gender gap due to jobs so it can still suck.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

That Robot posted:

a million times this

made-up genders are very :eng99:

I used to think this way but last time I asked about it some goon actually took the time to explain it rather than saying that they didn't have to educate me but essentially the made up genders things are supposed to identify certain roles in society, it's kind of stereotyping in it's own way but it can also sorta makes sense. If you think of gender roles as sort of individual boxes of societal expectation, ie mommy cooks and daddy works or w/e, then deviations that are commonly known become their own genders of sorts. When you have enough dudes comfortable being a man but has an identity that doesn't mesh with traditionally masculine roles they essentially create a new gender role that they fit into.

It's hard to describe but it did make sense when I heard someone else explain it, but basically the gender people are talking about in those kind of discussions is coupled with the role that the gender is meant to fill in society.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 12, 2015

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

whoflungpoop posted:

they were wrong and dumb bc that's not how poo poo works
having more than 2 genders has been a pretty common thing throughout many societies tho, whether it's a step in the right or wrong direction I neither know or care but the way gender exists as a social construct allows for many to exist.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

opus111 posted:

Name these societies.

Google "cultures with more than 2 genders" if you're actually interested, but yeah there are plenty of historical examples.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

A misanthrope posted:

it's annoying when every other thread is more whining about sjws

the old gbs thought crime brigade was bad but the way things are going now isn't any better
These threads keep popping up because whiney babies keep getting the other ones locked. Threads making fun of people with dumb libertarian or conservative views pretty much go on for as long as they need until they run their own course but for some reason making fun of dumb leftists is something a good chunk of our posters get really upset over. What's particularly obnoxious about this is this stuff is current events, its 2015 and these are pop issues that get discussed by the news and politicians. Even obama commented on the collective meltdown going across colleges canpuses and how toxic their refusal to communicate with anyone who disagreed with them was.

If you guys could just close your eyes and walk away from one thread it would mostly stay in there but instead new threads keep opening up when the next news story or image circles social media after the old one gets shut down. Alternatively you could in your seemingly infinite wisdom actually discuss the topic at hand rather than going "lol fedora" over and over again.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Digiwizzard posted:

Fedora atheists don't exist in real life
This is what gets me, the same people who double down and insist this stuff is all just niche internet business even though it makes major news outlets every week and politicians care enough to comment on it turn around and act like fedora atheist mras are a legitimate and significant threat.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Frosted Flake posted:

When did being tolerant stop being enough? Who cares if someone doesn't accept you as a woman in their heart of hearts?

All I keep hearing is "you don't get to disagree".
Well because people don't really hide their bigotry as much as they think they do. That's why there are statistically measurable biases in hiring practices for people with black sounding names and stuff like that. The underlying hatred bleeds through the mask of begrudging tolerance.

You really shouldnt get to disagree with medical professionals, i think the main issue with trans stuff is its like aspergers in that the majority of people who claim to have it are self diagnosed. This creates and environment where people believe its solely a special snowflake issue even though it does actually affect some of the population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Gammatron 64 posted:

People can gently caress whoever they want to gently caress and believe whatever, I don't care.

The thing is gender dysphoria is an actual mental illness. You have the chromosomes you are born with and you can't change them. Intersex people do actually exist but they're pretty rare.

I think the thing that puts people off is you have folks like Bruce Jenner who is obviously physically male and believes himself a woman and insists that you join in on the delusion. It's like if a crazy person believes they're a dragon but get mad that you don't think they're actually a dragon. It's basically like someone trying to tell you that 2 + 2 = 5 and you're an evil bigot if you don't agree.

I've basically realized that people who are really hardcore into political activism or slacktivism or whatever tend to be assholes regardless of what ideology they subscribe to. Everyone is poo poo.

And I say this as someone who is p fuckin' liberal and agrees with 95% of what Bernie Sanders has to say but some think I'm some kind of right-wing Republican\Libertarian\Nazi\whatever and fuckin' lol

Also fedora-wearing neckbeards and crazy SJW tumblrinas actually do exist and I've ran into them in the wild. Both are as terrible as you'd think in person. This is what I get for living in a college town with a lot of nerds.

2+2 can equal 5 for large values of 2. It's both an engineering joke and a subtle insight of how it's easy to view things you don't fully understand in a black/white manner and come to the wrong conclusion.

• Locked thread