Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Is this the new Tumblr mock thread? :getin:

yessssssssss

:respek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

loquacius posted:

I can understand if you're a woman born as a man or vice versa, that makes sense to me, but once you start min-maxing your own made-up genders instead of picking a real one the idea of gender starts to mean nothing whatsoever which I suspect was the goal all along

a million times this

made-up genders are very :eng99:

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Wall Balls posted:

:bahgawd: ESS JAY DUBBL YOOS :bahgawd:

they're at it again

up to no good in the neighborhood

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

ArbitraryC posted:

I used to think this way but last time I asked about it some goon actually took the time to explain it rather than saying that they didn't have to educate me but essentially the made up genders things are supposed to identify certain roles in society, it's kind of stereotyping in it's own way but it can also sorta makes sense. If you think of gender roles as sort of individual boxes of societal expectation, ie mommy cooks and daddy works or w/e, then deviations that are commonly known become their own genders of sorts. When you have enough dudes comfortable being a man but has an identity that doesn't mesh with traditionally masculine roles they essentially create a new gender role that they fit into.

It's hard to describe but it did make sense when I heard someone else explain it, but basically the gender people are talking about in those kind of discussions is coupled with the role that the gender is meant to fill in society.

um

they don't have to make up genders to do that

"I'm a guy who likes to knit" or "I'm a girl who likes to shoot guns and get drunk and rowdy"

none of that requires a new gender, especially one that nobody is going to take seriously like "demigirl" or "quiriosexual aromantic".

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

CaptainSarcastic posted:

She's a philosophy professor, so of course her head is up her rear end. She takes her pet ideas to a point of reductio ad absurdum that is laughable.

*reads wiki article on Judith Butler*

hahaha what a loving loon

she uses obtuse language to confuse people, yet claims to be a Jew whole praising Hamas and Hezbollah, ignoring their genocidal rhetoric

I hope she gets caught in a scandal and is removed from academia

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Coolness Averted posted:

So Jews can't be right?

she's wrong obviously

if you support hamas, you're probably a lovely person

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Ave Azaria posted:

Very few trans people go by pronouns other than he, she, or they. The issue of special snowflake pronouns is artificially exaggerated because it's easy to make fun of. If it really makes you feel disappointed in an entire generation or some poo poo you're taking things too seriously

why would they want to use the singular "they" anyhow? not bashing, just asking

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

4outof5 posted:

we want you to feel at home so we put the effort into making threads you will feel comfortable in

:iceburn:

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

A misanthrope posted:

dude i told ya not to be ashamed of your fedora or trilby

we should go back in time and terminate the inventors of those hats

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

I.N.R.I posted:

Y'all cum inside farm animals.

i came in a giraffe

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Blazing Ownager posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, more labels does not help. Labeling yourself makes you an easy target, always has, always will. Making ridiculously goofy labels and supporting the total loving nuts on the internet who think they are a dragons who like to gently caress buildings as part of the package deal... that's some old bullshit and that's where we're at. Every bit of progress their movement has made has been shot, repeatedly, in the foot until the gun went click by these people who drank way, way too much of the Kool-Aid. To the point instead of real change, people will look back at this in ten years as a defining goofy bit from our decade.

this was an unironically good post, for serious, especially this part at the end about people looking back on these last few years. history will not judge the special snowflake people very well, not only for the overreactions, the pompous attitude, the moral panics or even the mccarthyist overtones but especially for the catastrophic ineffectuality as a movement. instead of going out and uniting with their generation to face the plutocracy, political deadlock and economic malaise of the age, these people instead wasted their effort and time blogging and finding more ways to be oppressed

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

a bay posted:

Murray: The hat has nothing to do with it!

Derek Vinyard: Oh it doesn't? You don't think I see what you're trying to do here? You think I'm gonna sit here and smile while some fuckin' SJW tries to gently caress with my thread? It's never gonna happen Murray, fuckin' forget it, not on my watch, not while I'm in this forum. I will fuckin' cut your tumblrina nose off and stick it up your rear end before I let that happen. Coming in here and poisoning my gender discussion with your SJWish, trigger-loving, millenial bullshit. gently caress you! gently caress you! Yeah, walk out, rear end in a top hat, fuckin' Kotaku reading motherfucker. Get the gently caress out of my thread.

Derek Vinyard: See this?
[Pulls down shirt to reveal a huge fedora tattoo on his chest]

Derek Vinyard: That means "Not welcome".

this is v good poo poo

you have grown as a poster and I am proud of you, son

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

papa_november posted:

they tried that, it was called occupy

no they didn't. there was no overall goal other than agreeing that "wall street is bad"

they lived in filthy tents and bitched, but did they sufficiently organize and have specific goals? no. they had no candidates, no proposed laws or anything of that manner

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

a bay posted:

Im not, Im just disappointed that apparently Gbs cant have a thread about deconstructing the SJW concept of gender without a bunch of loving faggots going :ccp:DURR:downsbravo:REDDIT RED PILL:byodood::hurr:

yeah there's a lot of pushback to any analysis of the social justice movement's ideology and goals

it's almost as if they're afraid that exposing critical flaws in the movement's reasoning would make them look stupid

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

A misanthrope posted:

im not an sjw and i dont care about sjws -- im just tired of all the whining about them in gbs

the reddit/4chan/MRA weirds who bitch about sjws are usually the worst kind of trash people and have really hosed up brains, but since they're not made fun of nearly as much as sjws in gbs i'm starting to think a bunch of you are those trash people and that sucks

neat so don't read the thread then. I ain't been to 4chan in years, Reddit sucks and I hate MRAs; I still want to discuss SJWs though

if people want to discuss it, you can't backseat mod by trolling them

it makes you look like a little bitch

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

A misanthrope posted:

ohhh THAT robot

ah yes my robot brethren

but yes I am that robot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU