Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I just freep for my generation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
i think people are underestimating the young generation of millennials. We will prove to be more caring and nurturing to this world that was hosed over by our parents

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
mneh

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

BottledBodhisvata posted:

It's really all too much. Between the rise of clickbait saturating public consciousness with idiotic nonsense to the pervasive moronic fascist thought that dictates the activism of my generation, I really think that we're at the cusp of some hardcore fuckstorm breaking out and leaving us a cum-soaked mess. I'm frustrated and saddened and I think that everything is doomed to mediocrity and crap.

On top of this, I still haven't even played Metal Gear Solid 5 and the worst part is I don't even want to.

don't worry OP activism doesn't impact anything at all

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Robo Reagan posted:

stop being such a pussy

I am what I eat

Vulture
Aug 7, 2012

i think the internet just allows dumb young people to make themselves and their selfishness more visible to others.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

-Paraphrase of Aristophanes' The Clouds

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Young men, in the conduct and manage of actions, embrace more than they can hold; stir more than they can quiet; fly to the end, without consideration of the means and degrees; pursue some few principles which they have chanced upon absurdly; care not to innovate, which draws unknown inconveniences; use extreme remedies at first; and that, which doubleth all errors, will not acknowledge or retract them, like an unruly horse, that will neither stop nor turn.
-Francis Bacon, 1625

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003

Pththya-lyi posted:

Young men, in the conduct and manage of actions, embrace more than they can hold; stir more than they can quiet; fly to the end, without consideration of the means and degrees; pursue some few principles which they have chanced upon absurdly; care not to innovate, which draws unknown inconveniences; use extreme remedies at first; and that, which doubleth all errors, will not acknowledge or retract them, like an unruly horse, that will neither stop nor turn.
-Francis Bacon, 1625

So what you're saying is that every generation thinks the one before them sucks and the one after them sucks even harder?

And that we should just shut the gently caress up about it already?

Wisdom

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

We could still beat the poo poo out of kids in public when both those men said those things

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
There was a time,' Nikolai Artemyevitch resumed, 'when daughters did not allow themselves to look down on their parents—when the parental authority forced the disobedient to tremble. That time has passed, unhappily: so at least many persons imagine; but let me tell you, there are still laws which do not permit—do not permit—in fact there are still laws. I beg you to mark that: there are still laws——'

-Ivan Turgenev, On the Eve, 1860

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
youre just getting old lol

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
As for the moré part Youth is rebél
Unto Reasón, and hateth her doctrine.
-Thomas Occleve, "La Male Regle," ca. 1405

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

youre just getting old lol

what? aw gently caress dude

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

It's really all too much. Between the rise of clickbait saturating public consciousness with idiotic nonsense to the pervasive moronic fascist thought that dictates the activism of my generation, I really think that we're at the cusp of some hardcore fuckstorm breaking out and leaving us a cum-soaked mess. I'm frustrated and saddened and I think that everything is doomed to mediocrity and crap.

On top of this, I still haven't even played Metal Gear Solid 5 and the worst part is I don't even want to.

When I started reading this I got deja vu so I think I'm supposed to say Hail Satan here but idk.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Whither are the manly vigor and athletic appearance of our forefathers flown? Can these be their legitimate heirs? Surely, no; a race of effeminate, self-admiring, emaciated fribbles can never have descended in a direct line from the heroes of Potiers and Agincourt...
-Town and Country magazine, November 1771

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Never has youth been exposed to such dangers of both perversion and arrest as in our own land and day. Increasing urban life with its temptations, prematurities, sedentary occupations, and passive stimuli just when an active life is most needed, early emancipation and a lessening sense for both duty and discipline, the haste to know and do all befitting man's estate before its time, the mad rush for sudden wealth and the reckless fashions set by its gilded youth--all these lack some of the regulatives they still have in older lands with more conservative conditions.
-Granville Stanley Hall, The Psychology of Adolescence, 1904

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
putting up with willful children was annoying enough to ancient hebrew grownups that they made "listen to your parents you little shits" one of the 10 commandments and even put it earlier on the list than "no murdering" and "no loving your neighbor's wife"

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Household luxuries, school-room steam-press systems, and, above all, the mad spirit of the times, have not come to us without a loss more than proportionate...[a young man] rushes headlong, with an impetuosity which strikes fire from the sharp flints under his tread...Occasionally, one of this class...amasses an estate, but at the expense of his peace, and often of his health. The lunatic asylum or the premature grave too frequently winds up his career...We expect each succeeding generation will grow "beautifully less."
-Thrace Talmon, "Degeneracy of Statue," The National Era, December 18 1856

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Youngest millenial is now 18 years old. Pointing out its failures is getting old. We should focus on how hosed up the generation coming of age starting next year is.
They don't even have a vague recollection of the world before the internet and 9/11.

Have marketers told us what characterestics everyone between 0-18 years old has yet?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Our sires' age was worse than our grandsires'. We, their sons, are more
worthless than they; so in our turn we shall give the world a progeny yet more
corrupt.
-Horace, Book III, Odes, 20 B.C.E

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
Is there anything of which one can say,
“Look! This is something new”?
It was here already, long ago;
it was here before our time.
-Ecclesiastes 1:9-10

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

you mean people are stupid at all ages???????

EllisD
Mar 14, 2004

WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT!?
I'm more worried about elections and not what bored old people post on Facebook, but that's just me.

In a couple years I see us just barely flirting with 5% voter turnouts when millennials are like <removes oculus rift> "all non-whites illegal? like I care bro, I don't live in this world anymore" <returns to the Mos Eisley cantina>

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I am what I eat

oh, my bad

stop being such a cheeto

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

ArmZ posted:

you mean people are stupid at all ages???????

We're awfully bad at reasoning and we've hosed up in a lot of ways, but somehow we've always managed to muddle through.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

| /
| /
|/

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

if you cant beat em, join em, op

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Noblesse Obliged posted:

We could still beat the poo poo out of kids in public when both those men said those things

"The young people today are irredeemably hosed" was wrong the first 99,999 times people said it, but this time it's right because

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Pththya-lyi posted:

"The young people today are irredeemably hosed" was wrong the first 99,999 times people said it, but this time it's right because

Don't be salty kid. You just did a whole hell of a lot of wiki searching for this thread I know.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Don't be salty kid. You just did a whole hell of a lot of wiki searching for this thread I know.

"You used modern technology to your advantage" is not the damning accusation you seem to think it is

E: I mean yes wise elder, of course you are right and I am wrong

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
What's funny is when you stop bringing your phone with you everywhere it all goes away.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Pththya-lyi posted:

"You used modern technology to your advantage" is not the damning accusation you seem to think it is

I would like some more quotes about things please. It seems there is something you are useful for after all

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I know every generation hated the previous and the next but I think it's a bit disingenuous to say the internet hasn't substantially changed things and that adulthood has been pushed much farther back in life.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I would like some more quotes about things please. It seems there is something you are useful for after all

If I have seen further it is by standing on ye sholders of Giants.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Pththya-lyi posted:

To be fair many of those societies you quoted authors from did crumble within a couple generations. Simply because it's a common sentiment doesn't necessarily make it wrong, it could be a cyclic issue.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

My POLS Prof this semester was really young and talked openly about getting all her news from Buzzfeed and the Daily Show. What I'm saying is that we are all supremely hosed.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Like the idea that people get comfy, poo poo stagnates, and things start going downhill doesn't really seem that farfetched to me just because it's a sentiment that's been expressed in many societies. In the US for example we're already backsliding on several issues like abortion.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

ArbitraryC posted:

I know every generation hated the previous and the next but I think it's a bit disingenuous to say the internet hasn't substantially changed things and that adulthood has been pushed much farther back in life.

Industrial Revolution did it earlier. Once a majority of young children started going to school instead of contributing to the household economy, there was a big shift in how we viewed children and childhood. Really every major technological advance "substantially changed" society in some way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Pththya-lyi posted:

Its probably a cycle. Some good things happen for the better, society gets nice and comfy and sits on a couch for a couple decades, then has to scramble and get up because the volume is too high and the channel switched to hour blocks of infomercials.

roymorrison posted:

What's funny is when you stop bringing your phone with you everywhere it all goes away.
Same, and probably cable TV. Local/cable news is astoundingly bad.

I dunno. I think technology just allowed stupid people to get a louder, much more widespread voice. They were always there and will always be there, but now cousin jethro can post about how ISIS and the FBI are in cahoots and get a handful of likes.

• Locked thread