Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jlechem
Nov 2, 2011

Fun Shoe
I mean the trailers look tight and all, but so did the trailers for the Phantom Menace and then loving Jar Jar Binks came along. George Lucas isn't directing so it might be OK but I'm not holding out hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
its going to be the best movie ever made

EllisD
Mar 14, 2004

WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT!?
It can't be as bad as Episode I and that's all that really matters. If it's bad it saves me 5-6 hours of watching the next two.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I'm still gonna watch it, OP. The Star Wars has a hold of me and it's never letting go, no matter how stupid and terrible it gets

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
i mean usually with movies the black guy dies first so we might be ok

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

in all seriousness its gonna be at least "pretty good" i think

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
It is literally impossible for a star wars film to be bad

HollywoodDialysis
Jan 19, 2005

not doing nothing
Grimey Drawer

Hector Beerlioz posted:

This is nonsense and propaganda.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think it's going to be good because of the lasers and laser swords

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

HollywoodDialysis posted:

This is nonsense and propaganda.

Do you really think a film produced my the imagineers at Disney, paired with the visionary direction of J. J. Abrams will be a let down?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The trailer for Phantom Menace did not look good.

Force Awakens is going to be nothing but totally pandering fan service and I'm going to eat up along with everyone else because it looks cool.

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

I can wet the bed in the shape of Abraham Lincoln

Professor Shark posted:

I think it's going to be good because of the lasers and laser swords

pew pew pew

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Hey look at that it's making the thread better even

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
The bad star wars films are like the bad star trek films. You realize they are bad whike watching them but you enjoy them all the same if you are a fan to begin with.

BobbyThompson
Mar 23, 2001
Hi Lumpy. Hi.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I hope they bring back the old style of lightsaber fighting and not the prequel style with the flips and stuff

you know, like sword duels and poo poo

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

BobbyThompson posted:

Hi Lumpy. Hi.

BobbyThompson
Mar 23, 2001

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot

Fonzarelli posted:

in all seriousness its gonna be at least "pretty good" i think

Some poster around these parts said this: J.J Abrams makes films that aren't bad enough to hate but aren't good enough to love either.

He is someone who always appears to be over his head and should be directing tv episodes. Instead he gets to helm these big projects where almost always he plays it as safely as possible.

He's simply not gifted enough to make movies and always comes off as someone in the bush league. 60 minutes recently did a segment on John Williams and there was J.J holding a camera like fan boy at John Williams as the composer was recording music for the upcoming film, like a fanboy who was recording history. As if he didn't realize that John Williams works for HIM. It felt Williams could order him around and overcome ANY opinion in regards to the music that J.J might have. He's always gushing about this or that film maker in a nerdy fashion and oblivious to the fact that no one is going around gushing about him because he's never produced anything worth gushing about.

What an rear end in a top hat. They gave this rear end in a top hat Star Trek AND Star Wars.

I'm rooting for the film to fail.

I guarantee it will be just as mediocre and forgettable as the recent Star Trek films.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

starry skies above posted:

Some poster around these parts said this: J.J Abrams makes films that aren't bad enough to hate but aren't good enough to love either.

He is someone who always appears to be over his head and should be directing tv episodes. Instead he gets to helm these big projects where almost always he plays it as safely as possible.

He's simply not gifted enough to make movies and always comes off as someone in the bush league. 60 minutes recently did a segment on John Williams and there was J.J holding a camera like fan boy at John Williams as the composer was recording music for the upcoming film, like a fanboy who was recording history. As if he didn't realize that John Williams works for HIM. It felt Williams could order him around and overcome ANY opinion in regards to the music that J.J might have. He's always gushing about this or that film maker in a nerdy fashion and oblivious to the fact that no one is going around gushing about him because he's never produced anything worth gushing about.

What an rear end in a top hat. They gave this rear end in a top hat Star Trek AND Star Wars.

I'm rooting for the film to fail.

I guarantee it will be just as mediocre and forgettable as the recent Star Trek films.

Agreed, JJ Abrams is so forgettable. the Star Trek films were bad, and I dont have high hopes for the Star Wars films either

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Was Super 8 any good?

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Was Super 8 any good?

I liked Super 8, until the end where they used a magnet to kill the aliens. That was stupid.

HollywoodDialysis
Jan 19, 2005

not doing nothing
Grimey Drawer

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Do you really think a film produced my the imagineers at Disney, paired with the visionary direction of J. J. Abrams will be a let down?

You said it's impossible for a Star Wars film to be bad when there already exists bad star wars film and a mountain of star wars themed pish on the side.

It's got EVERY chance of sucking but more likely will just be a bit 'meh' like how we all enjoyed the last few Star Trek movies but we acknowledge that they're just 'good' space movies for casual observers and they're not great and I expect these new Star Wars films will fall into the same bracket of being 'just ok' and not at all worthy of any of the dick sucking that's lined up for them.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Most punchable face in Hollywood

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
just you wait
there's gonna be 80 years worth of Disney character cameos

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

It won't suck.

But after the glow wears off we'll take a look back and realize that a few of the plot holes and new stuff added to the storyline are kinda dumb.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

ghlbtsk posted:

just you wait
there's gonna be 80 years worth of Disney character cameos

Han Solo vs the Aristocats

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Boinks posted:

Most punchable face in Hollywood

Is that a bad nose or a bad nose job?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Now that Disney owns it, I'm inclined to agree

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
If it's bad, it will make 100000000000000 bazillion dollars and they will poop out six or seven more of these things at 15 month intervals forever also same if its good

Also if its bad you will say mean things about JJ abroms and nobody will ever give a flying gently caress exactly like the star trek movies he did also same if its good

lol

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

EllisD posted:

It can't be as bad as Episode I and that's all that really matters. If it's bad it saves me 5-6 hours of watching the next two.

Next 2? Lol, they got a star wars movie coming every year for the next 5 years. Disney is giving it the avengers treatment.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

It will be equally as good as Avengers. A film I felt like I was enjoying as I watched it, then realized I had forgotten about it almost completely on the walk back to the car from the theater.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I think it would be vastly more surprising if wasn't actually bad.

The Star Trek reboot/retcon was incredibly bad, so I don't see this one having good odds.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I think it would be vastly more surprising if wasn't actually bad.

The Star Trek reboot/retcon was incredibly bad, so I don't see this one having good odds.

The last two Star Trek movies would have been pretty good Star Wars movies, action beats were there, neat backgrounds, visceral yet disconnected violence and a few scenes where "true feelings" are made to come out in tense situations. Plus the ship fights looked good.

Story wise it was a mess, but I have a feeling the writers he has on this project and their supervisors won't give him the same freedoms.

I'm expecting a solid 2+ hours of exciting action, neat designs and good yet forgettable story

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
I watched The Empire Strikes Back last night for the first time in at least 15 years. It's a legit great movie, i hope the new movie is just as good. :)

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

thatfatkid posted:

I watched The Empire Strikes Back last night for the first time in at least 15 years. It's a legit great movie, i hope the new movie is just as good. :)

ESB is a VERY good movie that has a great tone while featuring my least favorite set piece in Star Wars (Hoth).

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

thatfatkid posted:

Redone with Luke screaming as he falls down the shaft? And the part with Ian McDiarmid as the progressively more haggard emperor? Like, seriously, he is so hosed up. He looks older in Empire than he did in RotS and younger in RotJ than both. Also, they made the dialogue corny.

George Lucas said he loved the new movie. He's all about special effects before anything else, so if that's your thing, you'll be pleased as punch. But I very much doubt there'll be anything adult or smart about it. They don't dare smarten it up over the readymade fanbase and they can't delineate on the mystic stuff since George decided to start that "force=midichlorians!" crap.

The movie will be pretty to look at. That's all.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
i bet weed will make it good, even if it is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
mushrooms made that speed racer movie really good, and that movie was really bad

• Locked thread