Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

the kv1 his hilariously slow like gently caress man

The KV-1 is really awesome once you get the derp gun. Enjoy one shotting every tier 3, every tier 4 and many tier 5 tanks with it. Let morons come up to you and them blast them right in their stupid face and laugh maniacally at their burning corpse.

I assume that you'll be going up the IS line as you're in the KV-1, so take this advice: Gun rammer, every tank from the KV-85 on up. The 500,000 silver is a big, scary investment, but those tanks absolutely require it and you can sell the gun rammer when you're done with the tank for a full refund anyhow for just ten gold if you want.

Oh, and don't rush up the line too much. I did this both with the German heavy line and then again with the IS line and was worse for it. The Russian IS line starting with the KV-85 all play more or less the same, so maybe spend a good amount of time beyond just eliting your tank so that you can really hone your skills before moving up a tier. They are drat good tanks, and when top tier they are the most dangerous tanks in a given match if played right, so you should spend some time making sure that you've got their play style down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't need this. Here is to the first one that claims it:

EAPAD-HHB52-PANGZ-AP35Y - 7 days Premium Time, possibly PS4 only

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
yeah poo poo man, when you can get the KV1, or any tank really, angled just the right way and enemy shots just boing boing boing off you while you blow up their baby tanks its hard not to feel like king badass

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.
I created a PS4 Community for those of us dumb enough to play this game called Goon Tonks.

PM me, Respond here with your PSN name, or send me a PSN message for an invite.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
If you could add psn- wordyrappinghood that would be great.

I mostly gently caress around on IV and V still

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

ShankyMcStabber posted:

I created a PS4 Community for those of us dumb enough to play this game called Goon Tonks.

EffEmmEll is my PSN, I'm only on tiers 3-4 grinding towards the anime tank.

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

Both invites sent.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I've been re-buying old tanks to farm Ace Tanker badges with. Thoughts:

-The VAE Type B is the most fun tank in tier 2. Just hilarious.
-The H35 and D1 are super underrated. Not the best guns, but man nobody knows how to fight against them.
-Despite now having a mark of excellence on the Type 58 I still hate it. gently caress this thing. I had more fun going after ace tanker in the loving M3 Lee.
-Matilda is beast, had 8 kills in a tier 5 match with it.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

What would you recommend for trying to do rollout medium 2: get a fuckin confederate medal (dmg 6 enemies that other players finish off) cause it seems impossible in regular play.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

OxMan posted:

What would you recommend for trying to do rollout medium 2: get a fuckin confederate medal (dmg 6 enemies that other players finish off) cause it seems impossible in regular play.

Stay with or near the large group, make sure you are shooting tracks. Track people for the rest of the group and you can get the confederate medal pretty quick.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

OxMan posted:

Drive a tank with a fast-firing gun, shoot things but don't kill them. It's tough but totally doable.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

ShankyMcStabber posted:

Both invites sent.

Eljebus0, feel free to friend me and play tanks, everybody!

Edit, please say you are a goon in your friend request.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
So will ps4 be getting all the tank lines? So far its just usa Germany and Russia. I played a lot on the PC and I'm missing the Matilda and the ELC

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Pookum posted:

So will ps4 be getting all the tank lines? So far its just usa Germany and Russia. I played a lot on the PC and I'm missing the Matilda and the ELC

Yeah, they have mentioned adding the others later on. They have offered Chinese and British tanks as premiums already.

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I was hoping the E-25 was already in game for the Germans, that thing is so much fun for playing Zoom-N-Boom.

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

El Jebus posted:

Eljebus0, feel free to friend me and play tanks, everybody!

Edit, please say you are a goon in your friend request.

I sent you a friend request and a Goon Tanks community invite.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Well most of the British tank tree is coming to PS4 soon. Have fun with those craptacularly useless machines, guys :thumbsup:

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
The AT-2 should be pretty hilarious for the first week or two where people are trying to figure out how to deal with them. The mediums are good too.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
Yeah Brits have good mediums and Also the matilda which is a tier 4 heavy I believe.

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

On PC a lot of people hated the British Heavies, but I kinda like them in some situations.

They weren't a brawler but their gun was EXTREMELY accurate.

Conqueror (Tier 9) Battles - 142 WinRate- 54.93% AvgDmg - 2286 Kills Per Game - 1.48 Hit Rate - 77% Avg. XP Battle - 912 WIN8 - 2701
Caernarvon (Tier 8) Battles - 132 WinRate - 65.15% AvgDmg - 1593 Kills Per Game - 1.08 Hit Rate - 78% Avg. XP Battle - 925 WIN8 - 2203

While I didn't get a lot of kills, that pinpoint accuracy let me rake in the XP (XP rate on the Consoles is more than double that of the PC, so 900 Avg. XP a game is closer to 2k average XP a game on PS4).

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

After watching various PS4 livestreams of people playing Tanks, I have one bit of advice.

Go into Options and turn off that stupid tiny radar map bullshit. There is no way you can even remotely have anything like battlefield awareness unless you have the full map in the corner.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

gently caress nah, I always use the small circle map. It gives you a better idea of your immediate area and you can bring up the full map at any time with select (or whatever the gently caress the dumb names for the select buttons are on PS4/Xbone)

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Cube man, I like you. You're a good tanker. But the AT-15 is not craptacular, it's a wonderful giant brick pile of poo poo and pain, and i adore it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The higher-tier British stuff seems actually good, but the grind to get to that point seems utterly soul-crushing. Like yeah the Conqueror and AT-15 are capable tanks, but look at the poo poo you gotta go through to get to them. Add in the fact that WoT just kinda stops being fun past tier 8 and the Brits just seem to get a raw deal.

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

Cubey posted:

gently caress nah, I always use the small circle map. It gives you a better idea of your immediate area and you can bring up the full map at any time with select (or whatever the gently caress the dumb names for the select buttons are on PS4/Xbone)

I don't really see how it can give you a better idea of your immediate area since it is displaying the same thing as the minimap but in a much smaller radius. Having to switch to the full map to see the actual tactical situation means you are personally limiting your battlefield awareness.

To each their own I guess, but make no mistake it handicaps your playing a bit.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

There are a couple different reasons I prefer the circular map. For one, it is zoomed in further. This means I can more easily tell exactly where an enemy is. On maps like Siegfried Line and Himmelsdorf, where there are buildings everywhere for people to hide behind, this is important. If there's a guy I'm about to fire at on my left, I can more easily tell that a guy on my right is in firing position and make me think twice about advancing. For two, the full map is way too big. It takes up a lot of real estate on the screen, and given that I drive light tanks a lot, that is an issue because it can block potential hazards like rocks and dead tanks from my view. Anyone who drives high-tier lights knows that stopping means death, so I need to have as unrestricted a view as possible.

Also, the game has an autopilot. If I am relocating from one part of the map to another, I can bring up the full-screen map while I am autopiloting to get a better sense for the full battle. I also drive Commie heavies a lot, which have very slow firing rates and rely on peeking out from cover then ducking back behind it for 10 seconds. That is plenty of time for me to bring up the full map and assess things.

So no, I'm absolutely not handicapping myself by using the small map and I felt a lot more handicapped the few times I tried the big one. It may work for other playstyles, but it sure doesn't for mine.

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one, because unless you are constantly in the full screen map you literally blind yourself to a good portion of the map (and map awareness is extremely important to map control).

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I launch the full screen map like two dozen times a match. It's easier to tell precisely where enemies are.with the full screen map than the small full map, making it easier to flank guys. Of the things I'm weak at in this game, map awareness is not one of them.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
do any of you guys play on PS4? I've fallen p hard into this game.

Picked up the Type 59 and I'm literally making millions of silver with it. Seriously, pick this thing up if you want to earn 75k+ silver per match.

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

Blackdog420 posted:

Picked up the Type 59 and I'm literally making millions of silver with it. Seriously, pick this thing up if you want to earn 75k+ silver per match.

From just a few posts above yours:

ShankyMcStabber posted:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Blackdog420 posted:

This is very true. It almost feels like cheating. Need silver? Play the T59 a couple matches and you've earned at least 50k each match, if you're bad.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Any tier 8 premium is a drat good money maker. My record for silver without any ops active was 224,000 silver in the T95E2.

That said, the Type 59 is really fun and it is a good idea to grab one if you ever plan on going up the Chinese tree when it comes to PS4; that way you hopefully have a couple skills and perks already to give yourself a head start. The Chinese heavy line is fuckin' awesome and the light line is a hell of a lot of fun, so I'd recommend them to anyone, though high-tier lights are pretty high-skill tanks so know what you're doing in them or die a whole lot.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

So I got the Ace Tanker medal in the Type 58 in an unexpected way. 1v3 on Wideark. Three remaining enemies were a full health T32, a half health Pershing and an M40/43. I killed them all for the victory, Ace Tanker and the From Defeat's Jaws achievement. I can't even :stare:

PS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4Y_75kYhBo

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Feb 16, 2016

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I've been playing a fair number of Heavy tank matches for the first time. It's still very new to me so have shots bouncing off while I calmly flatten 2-3 lights and mediums trying to plink away at my shell.
I've been going back and forth between the T1 and T14 heavies, and I've actually been having a pretty good time. I usually prefer tanks that feel a little more zippy, but the sluggishness of the heavies has kind of made me play a little more thoughtfully. Instead of charging off when the match starts, I take a few beats to see where the rest of my team seems to be going, and I try to support one of the groups.

It also feels pretty cool when I roll up to a shooting match and the light tanks all take off when I start firing.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

The Zombie Guy posted:

I've been playing a fair number of Heavy tank matches for the first time. It's still very new to me so have shots bouncing off while I calmly flatten 2-3 lights and mediums trying to plink away at my shell.

As you get to tiers 5 and up where heavies become common you'll still have to hide behind stuff because artillery will be gunning for you constantly. I don't even have any lights past 4th tier because every match starts feeling like Tiger scene in Fury.

Learnin Derby
Jan 26, 2005
I love it when pubbies do stupid poo poo like driving off bridges. Only thing better is when in super test we did trust falls of the bridge on Westfield. There was just a massive pile of smoking Mauses (Mice?) at the bottom.

And the brit heavy grind can at times suck. But once you get used to them they are alot of fun. And a fully upgraded Conqueror played properly is one of the best tier nine heavies.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

OxMan posted:

I don't even have any lights past 4th tier because every match starts feeling like Tiger scene in Fury.

In the PC version Tier 4 is pretty much the low point of every light tank line. By Tier 7 or 8 light tanks can clown entire teams if you know how the spotting system works and are able to get your retarded teammates to click red tanks.

Learnin Derby
Jan 26, 2005
Unless you're driving a 13-75. My god is that thing bad.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

McGavin posted:

In the PC version Tier 4 is pretty much the low point of every light tank line. By Tier 7 or 8 light tanks can clown entire teams if you know how the spotting system works and are able to get your retarded teammates to click red tanks.

High-tier lights are a lot of fun but probably the hardest tanks to be good in. They are also super team-reliant, and I've had plenty of matches where I keep the red team spotted constantly but nobody shoots at them. On the flip side I had a 5400 spotting assist game the other night in my WZ-132, which was pretty rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I posted this in the PC thread, but it will probably be useful here too:

Spotting Mechanics Explained
Picture your tank surrounded by 4 circles, one 564m away, one 445m away, one at the view range for your turret, and one 50m away.

The 564m circle is the draw distance circle. Every spotted enemy tank within this circle will be drawn by your client.

The 445m circle is the maximum view range circle. An enemy tank must be within this circle in order for you to have a chance of spotting it.

Your view range circle is at the view range of your turret plus any bonuses from optics, binocs, crew skills, etc. If an enemy tank is within this circle and a line can be drawn from certain points on it to equivalent points on your tank, the enemy tank will be spotted. The camo value of the enemy tank reduces the length of the lines your tank is able to draw to it, which lets it get closer to you before it is spotted. The view range circle can be greater than 445m, but all the additional view range does is reduce the camo value of enemy tanks within 445m.

The 50m circle is the proxy spotting circle. If a tank is within this circle it will be spotted by you and you will be spotted by it.

Bushes and trees increase the camo value of your tank, so that enemies must get closer in order to spot you. If you are within 15m of a bush and fire your gun, the additional camo provided by that bush will disappear. You can tell when you are within 15m of a bush because it will be transparent when you look at it in sniper mode. If you spot an enemy tank through a transparent bush, back up until the bush stops being transparent before firing and you will most likely remain unspotted.

• Locked thread