Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Woah woah hey hey it's that time of year again.

I generally think the evaluation process for the NFL draft starts right at the week before bowl games. Teams are competing for the coveted slots, prospects are laying it all on the line, and in a few short weeks we will bang out the college playoffs and crown a new guy taken two rounds too early.

People to pay attention to:
Bob McGinn - Best draft guy in the business because he doesn't ever put forth an opinion. He only regurgitates what scouts tell him and he has lots and lots of scout connections.

Adam Schefter - We all know big Schef. Most connected dude in sports.

Dane Brugler - CBS's draft guy. Pretty sane all around, sometimes has bad opinions but him and his website are mostly good for basic information on prospects.

Ian Rapoport - Rapidooooo. He's just another guy who regurgitates information due to his connections. Schefter-lite.

People you should absolutely never pay attention to:
Todd McShay - Biggest doofus in the draft scene. I think he's supposed to be the Skip Bayless of the draft because he can't possibly believe half the poo poo he claims about prospects.

Mel Kiper Jr. - The godfather of casual draft analysts might have been good at one point in his career but now he's just a talking head on ESPN. I firmly believe he doesn't do any work anymore and it shows when his top 10 and first round mocks constantly have people shifting in and out regardless of actual information coming out on those prospects. Other execs in the NFL world claim he has no insider information and I believe them.

WalterFootball - Whoever runs this site, god bless them, puts in a ton of work. They are somehow monumental dumbasses with mock drafts.

Jason La Caforna - Schefter wannabe. Constantly embarrasses himself and has total crap for information.

Peter King - Enough said.

Top 5 Prospects Right Now Cus I'm Lazy:

Joey Bosa, DE Ohio State - Unbelievable athlete. I swear I see him pick up fully grown OT's like they're nothing. Leverage king, should make his living as a strong side DE or could even stand up and play ILB in certain roles. I think he compares to some sort of love child of Adrian Clayborn and Jared Allen. Needs to get smarter. I see him do a lot of stand up and settle plays against the run.

Robert Nkemdiche, DT/DE Ole Miss - Highly touted guy for what seems like forever. Feels like the only person worth a drat this year on the Rebels defense. Superstar DE recruit that moved all over the line in Ole Miss before settling in as a DT. Strong, fast, athletic. Reminds me of Kris Jenkins.

Jalen Ramsey, CB Florida State - Even with Darby and Williams competing for snaps Ramsey stood out from both of them. Flashes true lockdown potential. Is equally good in man, zone, and supporting the run. Uncanny ability to defend passes. Big corner, kinda lanky though but that's to be expected. Could be the #1 pick this year depending on how the NFL finishes up.

Paxton Lynch, QB Memphis - Small school darling QB. Looks the part of a franchise QB. Tall, strong, smart. I think Memphis has an easy rear end offense though that got exposed a bunch of times this year. Lynch isn't asked to make a lot of difficult throws, also plays for loving Memphis against poo poo competition, but I don't think that should be a knock in the evaluation process. I'm eager to see how he tests out.

Ronnie Stanley, OT Notre Dame - Surprised he went back last year but it actually may have worked out. Should be the first OT off the board. Huge behemoth of a man. Unbelievably powerful. Absolutely destroys the run block game and can get to the second level faster than some HBs out there. Equally good pass blocker. Swift and decisive in his steps. Should be an all world OT if he can put it all together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

Dead? That's what they want you to think.
What position is this year's draft going to be deep at?

Is this going to be a weak or stronger draft class overall?

Why am I asking you this?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 13, 2015

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Doltos how do you think Nkemdiche would fit as a DE in the Chargers 3-4 defense?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

NC-17 posted:

That position is this year's draft going to be deep at?

D-line and OTs. But the positions with the top tier guys right now are almost all of them. Kinda uncanny how many standouts there are this year.

NC-17 posted:

Is this going to be a weak or stronger draft class overall?

I'd argue that last years was pretty weak and this years feels even weaker after the first round.

NC-17 posted:

Why am I asking you this?

cus u need me bebe

Ross Angeles posted:

Doltos how do you think Nkemdiche would fit as a DE in the Chargers 3-4 defense?

He'd probably sit on the blind side. I'd rather him be in a 4-3 and either play a heavy strong side or 3-tech it up.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Came for pics and was disappointed

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

As good as a prospect Bosa is, his statline this year was underwhelming at best. What happened?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

If Reggie McKenzie knows what he's doing, he's just going to roll up with a megaphone and announce "If you play defensive back, get in the loving van".

I'm hoping the Raiders get a good enough position so they can snag Deon Bush.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

DOOP posted:

As good as a prospect Bosa is, his statline this year was underwhelming at best. What happened?

It's what happens when teams start double and triple teaming one player. I'm fairly certain I saw at least one team quadruple team him.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I want either Nkemdiche or Ramsey on the Titans.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Chiefs need a QB and a tackle. Let's talk about those positions. Will Connor Cook be available in the low twenties?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I don't think I have any energy to talk about the Browns and what our needs are besides a bullet in the skull.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Gatts posted:

I don't think I have any energy to talk about the Browns and what our needs are besides a bullet in the skull.

Browns end up with the #1 pick, uses it to draft a kicker. We all know it's coming.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

What linebackers will be available at 32

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hell of a title.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Who are the best OLB's and OL (any spot)?

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

It'll be #31....

Because the Pats lost their first! *sticks hand up for a high five from everyone*

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

lol @ u if you think they'll ever get a linebacker (or safety, or DT) in the first ever.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I will settle for whatever guard is available in the 20s, who is an actual offensive guard and not a Tom Cable Wacky D-Line Conversion Experiment.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Colts need Not Greg Toler. Is Not employing Greg Toler available to draft?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I would like Jake Butt, Tight End, to the Detroit Lions.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Any fast wide receivers with really good hands available in the first round? Specifically towards the end of the first round? Like the very end?

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

zimbomonkey posted:

Any fast wide receivers with really good hands available in the first round? Specifically towards the end of the first round? Like the very end?

It could be the 30th overall pick...

Because the Pats got their first taken away! *still looks for a high five*

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

zimbomonkey posted:

Need a defensive end more.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Who is the shutdown CB or Safety that sits right at pick 15?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

paxton lynch beat alabama through the transitive property u best show respect bich

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

Alaois posted:

paxton lynch beat alabama through the transitive property u best show respect bich

I'd like him to be my quarterback! Let's get him!

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Wrong thread

Shangri-Law School fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 13, 2015

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

FizFashizzle posted:

Need a defensive end more.

we can apparently pull those out of thin air though. I want Cam to have a hundred extra yards a game.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

DOOP posted:

Game planned against plus he's not the savviest DE ever. He's absolutely filthy athletic and has a repertoire of pass moves but he doesn't know how to take on multiple blockers yet. That's common for most standout d-linemen in the college game.

Ragland, the dude from Bama. Jaylon Smith could slip.

sirtommygunn posted:

Who are the best OLB's and OL (any spot)?

Ronnie Stanley is my dude this year at OT. He's a freak. Tunsil is the guy everyone's going to talk about because he's on par with Nkemdiche as a highly recruited dude, he should go high. I could see Conklin sneaking up into the top 15 if he tests well on pass block drills, which he won't, but he has plenty of good game film at Michigan State.

zimbomonkey posted:

Everyone wants DeAndre Hopkins. Best fast guy at the end will either be Coleman or Doctson, they were both sent deep a lot at Baylor and TCU respectively.

Blitz7x posted:

Who is the shutdown CB or Safety that sits right at pick 15?

Jayron Kearse is the guy everyone is going to want because he's on Clemson and he's a freakishly big safety. You're probably going to be seeing VH3 at pick 15 or Mackensie Alexander there. Alexander and Kearse are going to get scrutinized more because they're in the CFB Playoffs obviously.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I pretty high on Ramsey as well. Glad to have you back dude

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

What's up, my new favorite thread in TFF?

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

Nkemdiche fell four stories, apparently.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Parmesan Basil posted:

Nkemdiche fell four stories, apparently.

Jesus-- That's just a bit crazy.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14359051/mississippi-rebels-dl-robert-nkemdiche-stable-fall

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Myles Jack? Coming off an MCL so that might be too early for him but he was looking like a first rounder.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Broke a window to get high, climb on roof. Get high. Fall off.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

of loving course, the guy i want my garbage team to draft in the top 3 is the one who falls out of a loving window to avoid the Chargers organization

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Grittybeard posted:

Myles Jack? Coming off an MCL so that might be too early for him but he was looking like a first rounder.

Jack was injured early enough in the season that he should still be ready for training camp. Sites still list him as a top 10-20 prospect and the last I heard, his recovery was going very well. Still very early in the process and his medical evaluation at the combine will be big, but he'll probably be gone by the late 1st. There are also guys like Su'a Cravens (USC) and Reggie Ragland (Alabama) who could be available in the late 1st.

Linebacker is a need for the Vikings. They have one very good linebacker in Barr, although he's had trouble staying healthy so far. Kendricks looks promising, but his production tailed off after coming back from a rib injury, and although he has the physical attributes to be good in coverage, he's not there yet. Given how much they play nickel, it would be hard to justify a pick on a traditional linebacker, but a hybrid linebacker/safety like Su'a Cravens from USC could be really interesting. He could line up at WSL in base and give Zimmer the option of running big nickel packages. He could really help against teams with mobile QBs that the Vikings tend to struggle against. The Vikings could also consider going after a safety like Jayron Kearse, though Cincinnati will likely not be able to afford to keep both of their safeties, so they could go after George Iloka in FA.

That being said, the Vikings biggest needs are on offense (OL and WR), so all things being equal I'd prefer to address one of those positions in the first, but at this early stage, it seems like there may be better value on defense in the late first.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 14, 2015

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
I'd started looking at draft choices for the Chargers and first, holy poo poo is this complicated! Second, I ~think~ I have a general idea of a draft order assuming that the predraft wisdom of some of these analysts is even close to reality. Also knowing the sorts of holes this team has and will have, I can make a few assumptions about free agency that will impact how they should draft.

First, just looking at overthecap.com, the Charger's 2016 roster is pretty grim in a lot of places. I'll give some highlights in relation to FA/draft for anyone who doesn't know the Chargers.
QB: Philip Rivers, Kellen Clemens. Rivers is a top-10 QB, though with his age, an heir will be required at some point, though not necessarily this season. Low priority.
RB: Melvin Gordon, Danny Woodhead, Branden Oliver. Donald Brown is likely to be cut. No real needs here, a 4th RB can be looked for in the UDFA pool.
Center: Trevor Robinson and Chris Watt are terrible. Serious need.
Guards: Orlando Franklin, DJ Fluker. Played bad this season, though I suspect their play can be elevated with a much better center. I'm willing to let them play for another season. No need.
Tackles: King Dunlap, Johnnie Troutman. Joe Barksdale should be resigned in FA and Troutman cut. No need.
FB: None on roster. One should be procured to help make our RBs better. Subjectively, I think it's a need.
WRs: Keenan Allen, Stevie Johnson, Dontrelle Inman, Javontee Herndon. Inman should be cut, and a deep threat WR needs to be found in the draft to compliment Keenan Allen. I'm assuming Malcom Floyd retires. Severe need.
TE: None. Ladarius Green and/or Antonio Gates should be resigned. If Gates and Green are both gone, this is a pretty severe need. Otherwise, the team is good and can look for developmental talent here.

NT: Sean Lissemore, Ryan Carrethers. Lissemore needs to be cut yesterday, and Carrethers isn't that good. Serious need.
DL: Corey Liuget, a bunch of other shitass scrubs. Liuget needs help. Critical need.
ILB: Melvin Ingram, Jermey Attaochu. Ingram is okay, though if his tackling got better he could be amazing and Attaochu is a very good playmaker. No need.
OLB: Manti Te'o, Denzel Perryman, Donald Butler. Butler is going to soak up $9m to sit on the bench next season then the Chargers can waive him finally. This team is objectively better without him. The depth is okay after them. No need.
CB: Brandon Flowers, Jason Verret, Craig Mager. Patrick Robinson has been good and should be resigned. Flowers has not. I'm going to assume he gets another year to sort his poo poo. Low need.
FS: None. This was Eric Weddle. I'm going to assume two scenarios here, one where he's resigned and one where he's not. This decision will impact the draft needs in the biggest way out of everything.
S: Darrel Stuckey. Jahleel Addae should probably be resigned, otherwise a replacement or two in free agency needs to be procured. No need.

From this, I put together a priority list, leaving out anything that's not a need in my little opinion.
DL/NT>WR>C>FB>TE>>>>>>>>>>QB heir>everything else

This assumes that the Chargers resign Eric Weddle. Jahleel Addae can be replaced pretty effectively with Darrell Stuckey and some other FA acquisitions. I set up this priority list with what I could find on initial draft positions for players coming in that have been speculated on. If the Chargers can not gently caress around in free agency this year and just get poo poo done, the draft is pretty straightforward.
Round 1: Low draft pick, likely get their choice of top defensive linemen
Round 2: Multiple WRs, including a few top-speed guys look to be available here.
Round 3: There should still be some good prospects for Center at this spot.
Round 4: Please please please let Glenn Gronkowski still be on the board at this point. Otherwise, find a tight end.
Round 5: NO PICK HERE THANKS TELESCO YOU oval office FOR TRADING FOR GORDON.
Round 6-7 developmental talent.

If Weddle walks, I change it up like this:

DL/NT>S>C>FB>WR>TE>whatever, with the multiple needs at safety and defensive line being so severe that the team needs to trade down to acquire more picks to fill them all. This is where the Weddle situation plays into it. I'm assuming that there isn't going to be another safety of his ability entering free agency at all. The only one I've seen is Eric Berry from the Chiefs, and holy poo poo does anyone seriously think he's going to be allowed to go anywhere near free agency? The answer is gently caress you. So, the only other realistic option is the draft.

Round 1, early: trade down, acquire a later round 1 and a 2 at least.
Round 1 later: Still find a good defensive lineman, probably won't get one of the top-5. But if so, hooray~
Round 2 early: Find that goddamn safety.
Round 2 late: Wide Recever
Round 3: Center
Round 4: See above. Gronkowski; if not there, then a TE
Round 5: gently caress you Telesco.
Round 6-7: Developmental talent.

Will the San Diego Chargers of Los Angeles resign Eric Weddle?
That's a better question than it should be. A rational person would have had his contract in the bag at the beginning of the 2015 season when he wanted to negotiate. A rational person would probably franchise tag him at the end of this season otherwise. A rational person would keep him a Charger forever and not let him go to the loving Steelers or Patriots. But this team has Tom Telesco. His choices have been....interesting. So the answer is: probably not.

Will this team actually shore up its needs in free agency so it can work the draft and solidify its younger talent?

No, they'll probably gently caress it all up again and make all my baseless speculation tonight a complete and utter waste of time.

also, lmao at Nkemdiche, that thud you heard is him going in the 3rd round

aperion fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 14, 2015

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

aperion posted:

Chargers :words:

You forgot to include pass rushers, Melvin Ingram and Jerry Attouchu and whatnot, but I digress.

I agree with most of this. Some slight differences in my opinion:

-Malcom Floyd is retiring, but I absolutely would not cut Inman. He's shown a lot of progress and has really good rapport with Philip. We absolutely need another guy though. Keenan Allen, Stevie Johnson, <WR3>, and Dontrelle Inman with Herndon going back to the practice squad or kept as a 5th WR for punt and kick returns seems likely to me.

-Green at TE will absolutely be re-signed, and if Gates wants to come back, he should be re-signed as well.

-Getting another DE opposite of Liuget is the main priority of this team. It should be our first pick.

-We don't need a fullback, it's a wasted roster spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Who are the best pass rushers outside Bosa and what dumbshit project will the Giants pick instead

• Locked thread