Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
check out this flier someone put up at work

old televisions literally have negative value. you can't give them away. Goodwill won't even take them anymore

you have to pay to recycle them at the county dump

does someone literally think they can get $75 for a huge old CRT? not even a good one like a Sony Triniton

is she delusional or just trying to rip someone off

also I guess we are to assume the Magnavox is black and white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Ein cooler Typ posted:

check out this flier someone put up at work

old televisions literally have negative value. you can't give them away. Goodwill won't even take them anymore

you have to pay to recycle them at the county dump

does someone literally think they can get $75 for a huge old CRT? not even a good one like a Sony Triniton

is she delusional or just trying to rip someone off

also I guess we are to assume the Magnavox is black and white.

Try selling cars and explaining to people their trade in is worth less then they think because *wholesale/retail/stupidity*

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

For fucksake Jackie, I gave you one drat job to do

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Small CRTs for retro console playing are neat, but gently caress using them for actual TVs. Digital TV would be terrible, and good luck playing Bluray and DVD. Although, DVDs aren't terrible through SCART/composite if you had no other option.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Only seems like yesterday when we were working out, Jackie.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

mng posted:

Small CRTs for retro console playing are neat, but gently caress using them for actual TVs. Digital TV would be terrible, and good luck playing Bluray and DVD. Although, DVDs aren't terrible through SCART/composite if you had no other option.

if you look on C's list you can find people giving away CRTs for free

I have a few I use for my retro gaming collection

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

mng posted:

let your obsolete knowledge die with you

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Tossing away all our things won't erase our past together, Jackie.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

OP tell Jackie you're interested, but ask her to bring the 32inch one over for you to look at first.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ratjaculation posted:

OP tell Jackie you're interested, but ask her to bring the 32inch one over for you to look at first.

good idea but this would require me talking to a girl

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Where did Jackie get 4 old garbage TV's. Did her grandparents die? Poor Jackie.

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
I bought all of these.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

mng posted:

If you don't just use emulators for retro gaming I don't know what to tell you

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Ein cooler Typ posted:

good idea but this would require me talking to a girl

maybe its a guy named jackie like jackie mason

its got clipart though so probably not

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Best buy will recycle up to 32 inch tvs for free.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

is jackie good looking?

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Ahundredbux posted:

If you don't just use emulators for retro gaming I don't know what to tell you

Using an emulator for retro gaming is just bad.

But yeah, 75$ for a CRT, it better be made of gold or something.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Emulators are illegal and for casuals

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I'll agree that real hardware is good for the old 2d 8-bit and 16-bit consoles, but once you move into 3d console territory the emulators have a lot extra to offer like upscaling, better texture filtering and colors and sometimes even better framerates

You can get pretty close to the CRT + real hardware experience if you're willing to tinker with 120hz monitors, pixel shaders and black frame insertion (search for GroovyMAME), but honestly it's less trouble to just get a CRT and a couple consoles

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Can't use light guns without CRTs.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

The heaviest thing I've ever had to move remains a 37" Sony Trinitron tv my parents used to have. Thing was like a bunch of cinder blocks with plastic over them.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Cinder blocks would probably weigh less, due to how CRT screens work. There has to be a vacuum inside the glass tube and the larger it is the thicker glass they have to use to avoid it imploding from atmospheric pressure. Especially when designing it to have a flat front like the later CRT models had, they wound up using super thick glass. Older curved displays distribute the load better, like a curved stone bridge vs a flat bridge.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

error1 posted:

Cinder blocks would probably weigh less, due to how CRT screens work. There has to be a vacuum inside the glass tube and the larger it is the thicker glass they have to use to avoid it imploding from atmospheric pressure. Especially when designing it to have a flat front like the later CRT models had, they wound up using super thick glass. Older curved displays distribute the load better, like a curved stone bridge vs a flat bridge.

Cool story about 20 year old tvs, dad

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

haljordan posted:

The heaviest thing I've ever had to move remains a 37" Sony Trinitron tv my parents used to have. Thing was like a bunch of cinder blocks with plastic over them.

I had a Sony Wega (which I guess is the same thing is a trinitron?). I think it was like 24" and it must've weighed 100 pounds. I just looked it up and there's a 34" on Amazon listed as weighing 190. Boy glass sure is heavy

Edit: it was totally worth it, Soul Calibur looked dope on that tv

Dial-a-Dog fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 13, 2015

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEi1ggtO5Oc

Respect your elders

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Print out a copy of the thread and staple it to the flyer

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

error1 posted:

Did Picture in Picture back then require two tuners?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
A few months ago my mother bought a new house. The previous owners were old and couldn't move their poo poo furniture out so she said she could handle it. I couldn't find string to stop the sofa bed from popping open when I was moving it so I just cut the cord on the old TV that was there and used that. I was blamed for wreaking a TV that could have been sold to someone. It was a 24" Magnavox.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
im trying to sell my ps3 for like $75 is that fair ? i honestly have no idea and im too lazy to do research beyond typing this post

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Why is every game i play unbalanced in the other guys favour?
Is jackie even a real name? i've met a few jacks but adding a 'ie' to jack and saying it is as real name is stupid.

Donaldie
Ronaldie
Larryie
Danielie
Harryie
Jessicaie

Obviously a fake ad.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

thathonkey posted:

im trying to sell my ps3 for like $75 is that fair ? i honestly have no idea and im too lazy to do research beyond typing this post

New ones are still over $200. $75 seems okay.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the store won't take my 360 for more than 15 euros, come on.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Can this also be the 'delusional people who think their Beatles records that literally sold in the millions are worth something' thread?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Universe Master posted:

New ones are still over $200. $75 seems okay.

drat really i just got a ps4 for $300 (refurb but still). the 75 includes 3 controllers and a couple decent games (one being GTA V) maybe i should ask a little more...

bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014

Jackie is at it again.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Smashing CRT TVs is pretty fun. Not 75 dollars worth of fun though, maybe you could negotiate?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
The local Goodwill and Salvation Army won't take CRTs because even selling them for $20 they can't get rid of them.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Who accumulates 4 CRT TVs? Jackie seems mentally ill.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Arian_Samurai posted:

Smashing CRT TVs is pretty fun. Not 75 dollars worth of fun though, maybe you could negotiate?

Theyre pretty hard to smash actually without a big sledgehammer. The glass is thick and then there's a huge magnet inside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

That's why you shoot them instead.

• Locked thread