Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ryoshi posted:

hmmm yes he is correct in saying there is input lag

except when you said that it wasn't input lag and the bottleneck was elsewhere

really makes u think (about how bad at reading comprehension you are)

Hooking an old NES into a flat TV is going to have lag because it's taking a 240p image and (poorly) blowing it up to 1080p. All that scaling is causing most of the lag. Then there's the lag LCD naturally brings on top of it.

Fun fact: Guitar Hero used to have different options if you were using an LCD to compensate for the lag. This mode was not needed if using a plasma. :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Actually, most of the lag is between your ears.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Universe Master posted:

Can't use light guns without CRTs.

You can hook up wiimotes to your PC using a Dolphin bar, and most emulators have lightgun controls where you aim with your mouse (which is what Dolphin does). Voila

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I use a cheap sylvana tv as my monitor and a wireless keyboard and mouse, i am the lag king of e-sports

Ben Murphy
Sep 9, 2001

I like him in spite of the fact that he's not me.
Craigslist in my area is full of this nonsense, mostly old people trying to recapture 80% of the cost of their 10 year old projection TVs that have the original bulbs in them.

Like this guy:

I asked him to take a picture of the back so I could get the model number and low and behold

but buuttt.. i paid $1500 for this!

i literally walked into best buy of all places and picked up a 50 inch toshiba 1080p LCD TV for $250 a few weeks ago

olds cannot understand how technology depreciates

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

That 13 inch Emerson wasn't even worth $15 new gat dam

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I had that Sony LCD rear projection set above and it was a solid set, way better than what most RP were like. Mine was the one from the year after and I sold it to a friend in 2011 for like $200 with a warning that id had it for 4 years and the bulb could go soon. Somehow it was still going strong even this year when I sold them my Panasonic plasma for the same price.

It's not worth $500 in 2016 for sure though.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Korranus posted:

That 13 inch Emerson wasn't even worth $15 new gat dam

$1.15 per inch. It's like getting a 70" for $80!

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I'm not 100% sure why but for gaming from an emulator machine or even original hardware I'll use a computer monitor. They usually have about 10-15ms input lag whereas a TV will have anywhere from 28 to 50ms inpuit lag. Also, buying cheap TV's can gently caress you up, I bought a changhong 4k TV off newegg and the input lag is atrocious at about 250-350ms with no scaling of any sort. Makes almost anything unplayable.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Why would you buy a TV branded "Changhong"? That's like asking for your apartment to burn down as you lie on the floor in a coma with cheap plastic shrapnel embedded in your face and eyes.

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe

the worst part is the first one actually loving sold for $250.

A lot of this comes from poo poo like American Pickers or that show where they buy storage units. Every 5th garage sale around here is some dipshit who's printed out ebay listings for every item in her driveway and 'knows how much it's worth thanks anyway'.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

King Vidiot posted:

Why would you buy a TV branded "Changhong"? That's like asking for your apartment to burn down as you lie on the floor in a coma with cheap plastic shrapnel embedded in your face and eyes.

Sony brand laptops were burning down houses (a poster here's friend got a huge settlement from a Vaio laptop destroying his home, too). Brand names don't always mean much.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Sony brand laptops were burning down houses (a poster here's friend got a huge settlement from a Vaio laptop destroying his home, too). Brand names don't always mean much.

i like the sony tv i got. Vaio always pushed near apple prices for me to care about them. RIP to those who died

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Ben Murphy posted:

but buuttt.. i paid $1500 for this!

i literally walked into best buy of all places and picked up a 50 inch toshiba 1080p LCD TV for $250 a few weeks ago

olds cannot understand how technology depreciates

A few years ago I saw an ad for someone selling a really early plasma TV from back from when they were still $10k space heaters, got phantom images stuck on them if the picture was stationary for more than 5 seconds and were only "EDTV" with a resolution of something like 840x480. They wanted $3000 for it when you could get a much, much better brand new one for less than half the price at the time.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Nonsense posted:

i like the sony tv i got. Vaio always pushed near apple prices for me to care about them. RIP to those who died

Sony TVs can be pretty good. Their CRTs were incredible. Their flat screen stuff has been hit-or-miss. Usually Panasonic is king these days (Pioneer was before them).

The_Franz posted:

A few years ago I saw an ad for someone selling a really early plasma TV from back from when they were still $10k space heaters, got phantom images stuck on them if the picture was stationary for more than 5 seconds and were only "EDTV" with a resolution of something like 840x480. They wanted $3000 for it when you could get a much, much better brand new one for less than half the price at the time.

A very large 320x240 LCD screen would be the ultimate nerd device.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

King Vidiot posted:

Believe it or not, for a cheap 4k TV it's pretty good. It just has huge lag but that doesn't effect movies. Also the build quality is surprisingly good and is aesthetically quite nice as well.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Nooner posted:

Lmbo I've heard too much TV can be bad for kids but this is ridiculous! !!!!!!!

lol oh nooner you're the best! :allears:

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
i use my tv to watch Newhart and sometimes Maude

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

JiveHonky posted:

i use my tv to watch Newhart and sometimes Maude
Mix it up with some I Love Lucy.

Here's my Panasonic CRT / dust collector. Ignore the mannequin head I have mounted next it. That's not creepy at all!

The TV was formerly in my mother's bedroom but she has learned Netflix and was going to toss it. So I took it and added an Atari 2600. Beautiful screen and the wood paneling is a fantastic match. That's it for now. A few lessons so far:

+ Bitch is heavy.

+ More than one console at a time creates a nightmarish rats' nest of wires and I'm seriously getting tapped out outlet-wise.

+ Think I could get more use out of it with a laptop loaded with retro games and hooked up through a VGA to RCA port. Would that work? I HAVE NO IDEA.

Edit:

This is apparently it from around 1984! BEHOLD.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 20, 2016

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Aralan posted:

Another good lifehack is if you wait till the middle of the night you can just throw them in any dumpster or just push them out your door while you're driving down the highway
Or you could do like Al Pacino did in that movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDbsXuyfN9w

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

You Are A Elf posted:

If it's old, it's worth something.

OG Herman's Hermit's LP all beat and scratched to poo poo and taped up? $200 GOOD CONDITION ORIGINAL FIRST PRESSING 1964!!!!

1979 Ford Fairmont needs engine, transmission, paint, interior, and front bumper? $5,000 ALL METAL DON'T MAKE 'EM LIKE THIS ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!

I know this is from the second page, but I just wanted to say that I'm impressed that someone has actually heard of a Ford Fairmont before.

My grandmother had one back when I was, like, 5, and I don't think I've seen one since.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I gave my first hdtv (32 inch 720p Sharp Aquos) to my brother and he sold it to our parents, the little poo poo.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:
TV sets manufactured in 1980s Japan were bulletproof. I've had a Japanese-made Sanyo from 1981 that lasted no less than 27 years of everyday use. I gave it away to my grandma in 1993 or 1994 if memory serves right. We then bought a 26" CRT Sony Trinitron (made in Spain) which lasted only seven years and then a decidedly dinky Chinese-made Philips that replaced it lasted only 5 years.
Sanyo had a component video input but its video-in sockets were BNC and not the more common cinch.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

TV sets manufactured in 1980s Japan were bulletproof. I've had a Japanese-made Sanyo from 1981 that lasted no less than 27 years of everyday use.

I like how you bolded 27 years as if that were somehow remarkable or specific to Japanese-made CRTs. Then again, I just generally like how.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

I like how you bolded 27 years as if that were somehow remarkable or specific to Japanese-made CRTs. Then again, I just generally like how.

Of course, :lol: at buying electronics made in Spain. I didn't even know Spain had factories.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I bought a secondhand 42" Sony 1080p LCD off CL for $150, had it since last May with no issues. Actually seemed like a sane price for a good brand.

It was a couple moving back to Saudi Arabia and selling off a bunch of household stuff. Build your own "ironic" racism joke with that as you will, Gibbis.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

The gotcha with that TV set isn't that it lasted for 27 of heavy use, the thing was that this TV was switched on every single day from 7 in the morning all the way to 2AM. Any other TV set pressed into such heavy use would have given up after only a few years (as Sony and Philips have demonstrated.)

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Otisburg posted:

I bought a secondhand 42" Sony 1080p LCD off CL for $150, had it since last May with no issues. Actually seemed like a sane price for a good brand.

It was a couple moving back to Saudi Arabia and selling off a bunch of household stuff. Build your own "ironic" racism joke with that as you will, Gibbis.

Uhh- you kinda put me on the spot here, but I'll do my best.

More like a 42" Sunni LCD, am I right.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I never really got why people would go out of their way to buy old TVs just because of "input lag". We're talking like fractions of a second, unnoticeable in almost every situation. The rage people get (especially ~competitive~ smash brothers players in my experience) about it is pretty silly - if you beat someone on a LCD tv they'll have a "this tv is BULLSHIT" tantrum, but honestly even in games where timing can be important I never had major problems playing on any kind of TV. Maybe I mess up some moves once in a while but not nearly enough to make me care enough to go buy a massive TV I can't/wouldn't want to really use for much else besides video games.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Germstore posted:

:golfclap:

Murphy Brownback posted:

I never really got why people would go out of their way to buy old TVs just because of "input lag". We're talking like fractions of a second, unnoticeable in almost every situation. The rage people get (especially ~competitive~ smash brothers players in my experience) about it is pretty silly - if you beat someone on a LCD tv they'll have a "this tv is BULLSHIT" tantrum, but honestly even in games where timing can be important I never had major problems playing on any kind of TV. Maybe I mess up some moves once in a while but not nearly enough to make me care enough to go buy a massive TV I can't/wouldn't want to really use for much else besides video games.

also in that case isn't everyone working at the same "handicap?"

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Germstore posted:

that joke was shiite

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Otisburg posted:

also in that case isn't everyone working at the same "handicap?"

That was always my take on it but I guess people practice things a certain way so much to the point where they can't do it any other way. I should also note I am not very good at video games so maybe they are right but who cares.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

The gotcha with that TV set isn't that it lasted for 27 of heavy use, the thing was that this TV was switched on every single day from 7 in the morning all the way to 2AM. Any other TV set pressed into such heavy use would have given up after only a few years (as Sony and Philips have demonstrated.)

No you dummy, what has been demonstrated is that newer televisions aren't as durable as older ones. (Well, no it hasn't but let's say it has.)

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
My old CRT tv went on the fritz, so I dumped it, went on craigslist, saw some guy just giving his away and got it. It works, but it looks a little poo poo. The colors bleed through (especially the reds). I still hold onto it because it's the only tv I can play duck hunt and gyromite on. I might replace it at some point, but for now it's good enough. Still I'm afraid old crt tv's are going to become collector's items eventually and they'll actually get hard to find and expensive. We're not they're yet, obviously, there's still too many out there and no one wants them and they're easy and cheap to get. But already, people are just throwing out perfectly good tvs. Soon they'll be hard to find.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

No you dummy, what has been demonstrated is that newer televisions aren't as durable as older ones. (Well, no it hasn't but let's say it has.)

Which is exactly what I wanted to say? :confused:

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Gianthogweed posted:

My old CRT tv went on the fritz, so I dumped it, went on craigslist, saw some guy just giving his away and got it. It works, but it looks a little poo poo. The colors bleed through (especially the reds). I still hold onto it because it's the only tv I can play duck hunt and gyromite on. I might replace it at some point, but for now it's good enough. Still I'm afraid old crt tv's are going to become collector's items eventually and they'll actually get hard to find and expensive. We're not they're yet, obviously, there's still too many out there and no one wants them and they're easy and cheap to get. But already, people are just throwing out perfectly good tvs. Soon they'll be hard to find.

This is the thought process of a hoarder, BTW.

These TVs are bad and trash and always will be bad and trash.

Maybe in like 300 years someone will care about a specific model but we'll all be long dead by then so who cares

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Drunk Tomato posted:

This is the thought process of a hoarder, BTW.

These TVs are bad and trash and always will be bad and trash.

Maybe in like 300 years someone will care about a specific model but we'll all be long dead by then so who cares

I used to be able to find arcade CRTs for $50 in 2008. Now? $400+

It probably won't happen with lovely 19" Broksonic CRTs but I wouldn't be surprised if some Sony's go up quite a bit in a few years. Definitely not worth enough money to hoard them or anything, though. But if I had the foresight, hells yeah I would have bought 10 arcade monitors in 2008 and flipped those things for ridiculous profit. Even if you put a sledgehammer through the glass you'd get $150 for them today (people need the "chassis" and will pay good money for them). 2008 wasn't that long ago I feel like.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

All coin-op games suck. They were purposely made to appeal only to dumb-asses.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jerry Cotton posted:

games suck. They were purposely made to appeal only to dumb-asses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Jerry Cotton posted:

Everything sucks. Life appeals only to dumb-asses.

• Locked thread