Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Sylphosaurus posted:

He sure didn't seem have a problem with it during the 10+ years it took to write the books, at least.

He wrote his orcs that way, but in his letters he mentions that, due to his Catholic beliefs, he was deeply troubled by the idea that Orcs were naturally evil due to their corruption. He firmly believed that all beings should have a chance at salvation, and never figured out how to reconcile it before he died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Happy Hyperbole
Jan 27, 2009

What's he up to now? Hard to say since we're not telling him what to do.

Jsor posted:

It actually would've been interesting if they started off the mission by getting you to try and heal the peasants with priests, but after the first couple of rounds it became clear it wasn't working and they changed the objective on you.

I think what makes the twist here really fall flat is that Arthas is actually right. These people will 100% without a doubt turn into undead. Nothing can be done to save them, and they are going to be a menace to others. So when Uther and Jaina leave, it just seems silly. Yes, perhaps Arthas was overly aggressive in the way he handled the situation, but knowing the scope of the threat it is hard not to.

I think a much better way to handle this would have been to have some ambiguity. Maybe don't make the infected humans literally glow green. Maybe make it so the change isn't inevitable, or make it take varying lengths of time. Things like it maybe happening or eventually happening allow Arthas to look a little unhinged in his handling of the problem while still leaving us sympathetic to his actions.

I think a brief intro where you try to cure some infected townsfolk would be brilliant. Have Uther, Arthas, and Jaina stomp on a small camp of undead, try to fix the innocents, only to meet with no success. Maybe with time, or better resources, they could manage it. But, Athas maintains they don't have that kind of time. Boom, you have a situation where both sides can be related to by the players, and still starts the path to Athas' downfall.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think the events that play out are fine. It's not ambiguous that Arthas makes the right decision tactically; it's just a terrible choice to make morally. Uther had pretty much just turned up and didn't even know where the undead were coming from until that moment, while Arthas had been watching people turn for three missions now. Uther's first instinct would be to save them - he's a paladin, and a hero of Lordaeron - while Arthas and Jaina are both well aware of how out of their depth they are.
Note that Jaina never objects to what Arthas is doing, she just can't bring herself to take part in it. Killing innocent people is pretty drastic.

The idea here isn't that Arthas is turning evil, so much that he is letting his paladin principles slide to win the war.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
At this point the magical Corruption hasn't happened yet...

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Yeah, the simple fact is, Arthas' mistake here was NOT killing the civilians. It was giving Uther an ultimatum instead of a better explanation. Explain how quickly the plague turns them. That even if they HAD a cure, which they don't, they wouldn't be able to administer it in time.

Arthas' fatal flaw... is impatience.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Also being dumb as a brick but that's kind of expected, royalty and all.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
The wonders of inbreeding!

Most of my experience with Warcraft all comes from World of Warcraft because I am a bad at RTS games. I jumped out of that hole a while ago though. Played that game way too much, got Loremaster on Horde-side both pre-Cataclysm and post-Cataclysm.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

Also being dumb as a brick but that's kind of expected, royalty and all.
Hey, the only blood pure enough to be allowed to be mixed with royalty is other royalty. :v:

Wasn't it Charles II of Spain who had a family tree more shaped like the trunk than the branches?

Poil fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Dec 25, 2015

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Poil posted:

Wasn't it Charles II of Spain who had a family tree more shaped like the trunk than the branches?

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
The Ptolemaic dynasty was even worse to some extent. The had a whole lot of brother-sister marriages going on, as was the tradition at the time. Also a tradition was murdering your close family relatives before they could murder you. So you'd marry your brother or sister have a child with them, kill your spouse and hoped your kid liked you enough to not off you straight away. HBO could do wonders with a setting like this.

From the wiki page:

"members of this dynasty likely suffered from a multi-organ fibrotic condition such as Erdheim–Chester disease or a familial multifocal fibrosclerosis where thyroiditis, obesity and ocular proptosis may have all occurred concurrently."

Nice.

Arthas is probably just as inbred.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

ultrabindu posted:

Arthas is probably just as inbred.
And he still managed to steal an elf's girlfriend.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Poil posted:

You mean an elf's creepy stalker crush. Male characters in Warcraft have a tendency to be goony motherfuckers when their love interest isn't a cardboard cut-out waifu. See Illidan for a particularly extreme example.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I thought Illidan was sort of resigned to the fact that Tyrande will never love him back? Sure he's still a nutcase but he doesn't ever deny that Tyrande made her choice from memory.

His big problem is he wants to be the hero for once, because everytime he and his brother do anything his brother gets praise and he gets damnation. Of course Illidan is doing what he thinks is the right thing because he wants to be recognised as a hero, whereas Malfurion does the actual right thing because it's the right thing to do.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think he was referring more to the whole "still has a crush after thousands of years" thing.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cythereal posted:

You mean an elf's creepy stalker crush. Male characters in Warcraft have a tendency to be goony motherfuckers when their love interest isn't a cardboard cut-out waifu. See Illidan for a particularly extreme example.
The only thing I know about it is the two lines of dialog from the Frozen Throne mission at the end. Personally I think illidan is an overrated twat who gets way too much attention. He's not cool, he's not exciting and he's certainly not smart. He is just a lame dumbass who makes even worse decisions than paladin Arthas.

anilEhilated posted:

I think he was referring more to the whole "still has a crush after thousands of years" thing.
How do you think he went blind? Hur hur hur.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Poil posted:

The only thing I know about it is the two lines of dialog from the Frozen Throne mission at the end. Personally I think illidan is an overrated twat who gets way too much attention. He's not cool, he's not exciting and he's certainly not smart. He is just a lame dumbass who makes even worse decisions than paladin Arthas.

How do you think he went blind? Hur hur hur.

He's got a cool model, turned into a demon monster of insane power that was player controllable, and was an agility based hero and thus op on 90% of all custom maps ever.
It's less people think he's cool as a character and more that he was fun as a unit.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Eh, I like him. He's got two dimensions, love and addiction, that's at least one more than just about everyone else in the franchise.
Plus he's really fun to play in HotS.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Poil posted:

Who was this? Was that Windrunner?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Jaina and Kael, IIRC.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

anilEhilated posted:

Jaina and Kael, IIRC.

Yep. God knows why, but Warcraft established that when Jaina was an apprentice in Dalaran, Kael'Thas - prince of Quel'Thalas (the elf kingdom for those not familiar with the series) and an exceptionally powerful mage briefly studying with the human mages of Dalaran, had a serious thing for her. He stopped once Arthas showed up as Jaina's boyfriend and also decided that a 30-year-old elf prince crushing on a teenage human girl was inappropriate.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

As I recall Kael was attracted to her because she was quite pretty, for a human, but more importantly was an absurdly powerful mage even at a young age. Jaina is actually one of the most powerful mages on Azeroth and showed her potential very early on, and Kael'Thas, like most High Elves, finds magical power very attractive because they have a deep connection to the arcane energies of Azeroth.

Jaina herself didn't particularly care as she was more intent on studying, and Kael'Thas was almost certain he had no chance as he was already several centuries old.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Metzen himself has also said he loves him a good redemption story.

For a slightly larger political perspective. At this point in the timeline Varian Wrynn is ruling Stormwind but I wanna say he's in his teens and just started trying to make Anduin.

Also if you want to follow along with the Adventures of Arthas, just read the second half of the Book "Arthas" where the author literally just recaps, mission by mission, the first two campaigns.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
No update this week?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Calax posted:

Metzen himself has also said he loves him a good redemption story.
Probably explains the mess that is Starcraft 2.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I always thought that it was not his impatience but his anger that caused the rift at Stratholme for Arthas. I means for all his flaws, Arthas does show that he cares for the people he will be ruling over and seeing them being killed and turned to the undead is driving him to be more and more angry until all he can think of his stopping it and getting revenge and then you get Uther turning up just as Mal'Ganis is starting his attack to claim some new troops from the what is at this point all ready dead population and there is really no time to explain to him what is going on. Of course Uther with his ten foot Paladin pole up his rear is horrified and refuses to go along with it, making Arthas even more angry and not having the time to explain the entire situation Arthas makes his demands and everyone leaves and what happens then goes and happens.

Maybe I am trying to make excuses and fill in plot holes but I liked this part of the story line for Arthas, I always felt that it made it clear that there was so little time to act and Arthas being Arthas had to act now.

I also never got why Jaina didn't just explain the whole thing to Uther after the split, I'd hope that even with his ideals Uther would see there was no better choice and could have turned around but then I guess that doesn't make a good story.

Never mind helps if I both remember correctly and watch all the videos first. The fact that Uther turns up at the mission before Stratholme means this all explained above is pointless and wrong. It is just bad writing I guess.

koolkevz666 fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 28, 2015

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Litany Unheard posted:

So what's with Blizzard's obsession with goodly heroes becoming CORRUPTED? It's an interesting plot once or twice, but it seems to happen three to five times per franchise.

It's generally done really badly (Not a surprise) and is fairly easy. When they do it with Paladins it seems like just one of those DM's that are neckbeard enough to just enjoy corrupting them in the first place.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Exhibit B that this game has room for error.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 28, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
You posted the same screenshot twice.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

my dad posted:

You posted the same screenshot twice.

It's weird, because when I paste the second URL in my bar, it goes to the right image...

E: Fixed

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Your commentary has that spiel about Muradin's stats twice in a row. Probably not intentional, but it certainly adds to the whole clusterfuck theme of this video. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
One lore/story clarification: the Scourge's crypt fiends are undead Nerubians. Nerubian creeps are living survivors of the race, about which we'll get some more detail in The Frozen Throne. In short, they're a race native to Northrend that lived underground in their realm of Azjol-Nerub until the newly created Scourge attacked. The War of the Spider ended with Azjol-Nerub conquered by the Scourge and many Nerubians raised as undead crypt fiends and crypt lords. The ubiquitous Scourge ziggurat is also of Nerubian design, repurposed now to fuel the Scourge's armies.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Cythereal posted:

One lore/story clarification: the Scourge's crypt fiends are undead Nerubians. Nerubian creeps are living survivors of the race, about which we'll get some more detail in The Frozen Throne. In short, they're a race native to Northrend that lived underground in their realm of Azjol-Nerub until the newly created Scourge attacked. The War of the Spider ended with Azjol-Nerub conquered by the Scourge and many Nerubians raised as undead crypt fiends and crypt lords. The ubiquitous Scourge ziggurat is also of Nerubian design, repurposed now to fuel the Scourge's armies.

For some reason I thought the surface Nerubian creeps we see were still undead (hence them having necromancy and such). I know that the underground ones were alive.

Alpha3KV posted:

Your commentary has that spiel about Muradin's stats twice in a row. Probably not intentional, but it certainly adds to the whole clusterfuck theme of this video. :v:

Oops :v:, I added an annotation. Not sure how I missed that.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Probably explains the mess that is Starcraft 2.

Yeah, he responded to that after a question about the blind man who died in Burning Crusade possibly coming back.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Jsor posted:

Oops :v:, I added an annotation. Not sure how I missed that.

You could go full pro and make an annotation that would allow to skip these 30 seconds [I can't come up with an emote to put here just imagine an emote]

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Done

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
You let the captain die in the base, you tremendous failure.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Drakenel posted:

You let the captain die in the base, you tremendous failure.

He deserved it. Promoted to that rank and didn't even warn me that my plan was stupid :colbert:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

the lich leveled twice

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Jsor posted:

He deserved it. Promoted to that rank and didn't even warn me that my plan was stupid :colbert:

Some royalty used court jesters as messengers of bad news. What Arthas needs is a jester to critisize his actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ah, the light-forsaken lands of Northrend. Incidentally they named their European server Northrend. It's quite fitting.

Siege tanks are really great in multiplayer team games, but they definitely need the rocket upgrade to be useful enough to bother with in an army. Mortar teams may be fragile but they can actually attack units and have good range.

Iretep posted:

Some royalty used court jesters as messengers of bad news. What Arthas needs is a jester to critisize his actions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFG4AxOz3dg :v:

Poil fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Dec 28, 2015

• Locked thread