Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015
That was an entertaining screw up.

I remember that whenever i tried to go after that undead caravan in the hearthglen mission I ended up losing, because apparently leaving the defense of the base to some towers might be a bad idea. And that was on normal.

To teenage me the story of WC III held a lot of appeal and it fueled my desire to play WoW. I don't even know why anymore. I ended up reading up on a lot of lore before I could even afford the monthly payments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Towers aren't good in this game. Period. Except for maybe the Undead ones because you need to build those fuckers anyway.
It's part of what I don't like about Warcraft 3's gameplay - instead of going for something that'd sound remotely reasonable strategically (like having a fortified base and going raiding when needed), you're required to game the system and have one army running back and forth so you get maximum use out of minimum upkeep. Again, heroes/auras being so powerful was a loving stupid idea.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

This LP has got me to replay the WC3 campaign. Just arrived at Northrend and feeling the nostalgia something fierce.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Towers aren't good in this game. Period. Except for maybe the Undead ones because you need to build those fuckers anyway.
It's part of what I don't like about Warcraft 3's gameplay - instead of going for something that'd sound remotely reasonable strategically (like having a fortified base and going raiding when needed), you're required to game the system and have one army running back and forth so you get maximum use out of minimum upkeep. Again, heroes/auras being so powerful was a loving stupid idea.

They have some obsecure and annoying use in FFA games. Much like necro+meatwagon. Some silly strategies become more usable when the point is to watch the other players kill each other but not look like an easy target yourself.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
And, you know, Orc tower rush. Mostly effective because nobody really expects it, but still...

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015

anilEhilated posted:

I don't think the towers are supposed to be all that good. They are supposed to put the enemy at a disadvantage when they are attacking your base and not guarantee 100% safety. Otherwise trying to attack a base would just become even more tedious.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, yes and no, normally fortifications are a big sign of DO NOT ATTACK HERE, with game emphasis on the "here"; the idea being to stall the enemy assault until your forces can react properly - or discourage harassment by killing weaker and cheaper units outright and forcing the enemy to bring out the big guns.
Except this is Warcraft 3, there are no expendable units and everyone's army moves in one blob so you can't really afford to have that blob significantly slowed down on either attack or defense. So all the action takes place in nice wide open spaces and the towers are an irritant at best. That's something they really didn't put much thought it.

edit: It's also wonderfully ironic considering this game's engine and editor became one of the best platforms for tower defense games.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 4, 2016

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Sorry this was late, personal emergency. This was a fun mission, and it's kind of cute how pretty much every walkthrough tells you you don't have enough time to get any of the items. In fact, not only do I get the items, I do the last leg of the gauntlet "fairly" instead of cheesing it with Avatar Muradin. So eat that, strategy guides!

Unfortunately, this one is a bit on the short side, but both the previous and next episodes are far too long to glompf it together with them.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 11, 2016

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I didn't know you could run through with Muradin and always slogged through the necromancers. Neat. But it's more fun to slaughter enemy units.

Murlocs are awesome. :colbert:

Poil fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 4, 2016

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

They did manage to capture Thrall and half the Orc and Darkspear army. I'll grant that.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
If I remember right, Pandaren are also a creation of Our Corrupt Savior Metzen.

e: I'm mistaken! Samwise Didier, the frontman of real life Elite Tauren Chieftain.

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 4, 2016

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?
When I played this mission, I didn't think of using the teleport item to bypass the ziggurat-infested canyon.

So I just ran my entire army through it. They were a bit battered, but mostly it went fine and I had no problems with the rest of the mission, but then again I wasn't playing on hard.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

dscruffy1 posted:

If I remember right, Pandaren are also a creation of Our Corrupt Savior Metzen.

e: I'm mistaken! Samwise Didier, the frontman of real life Elite Tauren Chieftain.
He's also the reason why you can find pandas all over the place, like on the handles of a demon hunter's blades.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Been waiting for this level!

I have never been able to hear this song without thinking of this level:
Burn the Fleet by Thrice

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Again, heroes/auras being so powerful was a loving stupid idea.
Once I saw WoW, I immediately wondered if WC3 was only ever a deliberate transitional game between the army management strategy of WC2 and the hero / loot structure of WoW.

(Other than the twin curve balls of Tower Defense and MOBAs, that is.)

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Honestly, and I know this has been brought up by other Goons and folks on other forums, I sometimes wonder if Metzen struggles/struggled with addiction. Like the whole corruption plot and how he's frankly obssessed with it seems like the sort of theme that would resonate with an addict or a recovering addict. Like, it's kind of funny, but due to retcons and poo poo, by the time of WoW there are basically NO actual villains with agency in the Warcraft canon. Every single named villain, with almost no exceptions, was corrupted by something. It's hilariously optimistic; there are no bad people, really, just fallen heroes.

Nthing that I'm glad this is back, and also the sentiment that while Arthas' fall isn't that bad or anything given his character, it really does feel rushed. I agree we definitely kind of needed another mission or something between "what shall I do?" and "FULL STEAM AHEAD, KILL THE VILLAGERS."

Metzen has a bit of a cocaine habit. And by a bit I mean he's up to his eyeballs in the stuff.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I thought that was just a running joke.

Also, Garrosh Hellscream wasn't corrupted by anything which is why he's the best villain. :can:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Garrosh not being corrupted is amazing because he still uses the power of Y'Shaarj, but instead of being corrupted by it he's actually mastering it is my understanding.

SgCloud
Oct 30, 2011
I do wonder, didn't the fact that Muradin could bolt the ships get patched later on? If I remember correctly, you can't run through with Muradin on a Wc3 version that is up 2 date since he will have no means to attack the last ships.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

SgCloud posted:

I do wonder, didn't the fact that Muradin could bolt the ships get patched later on? If I remember correctly, you can't run through with Muradin on a Wc3 version that is up 2 date since he will have no means to attack the last ships.
Yeah, I remember the ships not being a valid bolt target at one point.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

ThingOne posted:

Metzen has a bit of a cocaine habit. And by a bit I mean he's up to his eyeballs in the stuff.

Isn't this just a meme? I've never heard anyone seriously claim the dude's a crackhead.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

SgCloud posted:

I've been playing with an up to date version, and he could stormbolt them. Also, one of the game hints specifically suggests using stormbolt.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SirSamVimes posted:

Also, one of the game hints specifically suggests using stormbolt.
Yeah, but the hints were written before TFT changed a lot of the targeting rules around. I seem to remember it not working either; maybe it was something they patched out eventually.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

SirSamVimes posted:

I've been playing with an up to date version, and he could stormbolt them. Also, one of the game hints specifically suggests using stormbolt.

It *DID* get patched out. The hint is there because the hint was put in before the ability to Stormbolt ships was patched out.

It wasn't deliberate; it was a side-effect of restricting Stormbolt to organic targets; if you can Storm Bolt the ships, your game is not up to date.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Mine is up to date. The screen says 1.26.0.6401. In fact, I just connected to Battle.net just to be sure and it didn't try to patch. If they changed it, they reverted the change at some point.

E: I definitely remember at one point the game would complain the boats weren't organic, but for whatever reason it works again.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 5, 2016

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
The last few human missions show Arthas's descent from goodness, and I think this is the one that truly marks the point of no return (in the figurative sense, though he did make it quite literal). The culling of Strathome was certainly unpleasant business, but may arguably have been necessary. Sailing to Northrend to track the source of the plague was also justifiable. But at this point, he's essentially condemned his entire army to die in a frozen wasteland because he's become more concerned with personal vengeance than what's good for the people of his kingdom.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Eh, the act of turning from "goodness" to pure idiocy was sailing to Northrend. Everything from then on is just hammering the point home; Blizzard doesn't exactly do subtle.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Isn't this just a meme? I've never heard anyone seriously claim the dude's a crackhead.

I swear I remember someone on here claiming they saw him trying to use a sugar donut to whiten up his 'stache a bit during one Blizzcon.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Alright, which one of you chucklefucks tossed a Dispel Magic in Jsors direction, you KNOW what it does to animated units.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Aumanor posted:

Alright, which one of you chucklefucks tossed a Dispel Magic in Jsors direction, you KNOW what it does to animated units.

No, I'm just an idiot who forgot to post it even though it's uploaded (but private) :downs:

Edit: Also goddamn loving gently caress, I forgot how much of a PITA it is to make these unit card templates for a new race. At least this time I have a guide I can copy over.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jan 11, 2016

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Main drawback of chaos damage is that it doesent do any bonus damage to any armor type. Also frostmourne having a big "THIS SWORD IS CURSED GUYS" sign seems rather silly when the undead originally put the sword there for Arthas to pick up.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
The sign is to keep other unintended adventurers away, clearly.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Ner'zhul felt very sad that Kil'jaeden the Deceiver tricked him* into becoming a Chaos Orc, so he treats his potential minions with respect and gives them an upfront warning.

* Protip: Never trust anyone with "the Deceiver" in their name.

E: The whole "the Lich King is a former Orc" thing isn't a spoiler. It's in the manual! :eng101:

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Did you do unit card pop-ins for the Sorceress and Priest? I don't seem to recall them.
Anyway, loving the LP so far, as before. Looking forward to the Undead hijinx.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Did you do unit card pop-ins for the Sorceress and Priest? I don't seem to recall them.
Anyway, loving the LP so far, as before. Looking forward to the Undead hijinx.

I did priest, someone pointed out I forgot Sorceress so I'm going to put it in a "missed things" roundup episode at some point.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
What's the state of your backlog at this point, Jsor?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Aumanor posted:

What's the state of your backlog at this point, Jsor?

I have the next episode (which is another demo/Thrall intermission), and I've done partial commentary for the one after that, but making the new unit cards and episode slate takes a bit.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Jsor, not sure if you're aware of this but Blizzard retconned Muradin's story in WotLK, where he's found alive. Apparently he just lost his memory but regained it after he was found in Northrend :v:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Sealing Arthas' fate as the most incompetent villain in a series full of them. Man can't even kill a dwarf right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Excuse me but it was clearly frostmourne that killed killed Muradin, not Arthas. Arthas was just staring at the whole show.

Trogdos! posted:

Jsor, not sure if you're aware of this but Blizzard retconned Muradin's story in WotLK, where he's found alive. Apparently he just lost his memory but regained it after he was found in Northrend :v:

:cripes:

• Locked thread