Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Aces High posted:

yeah I think this is the big thing. In StarCraft you had the mission briefings and (if you were a nerd or had nothing better to do) a good fifth of the manual to get your story and lore infusion. This was the same with Diablo and Diablo 2, if you wanted to know more about your class or some stuff about the landscape then you read the manual. You didn't need to really pay attention to The Sin War or any of the other Horadrim stuff that was scattered throughout the dungeons in Diablo and the only time you got dialogue in D2 was from quest givers and if you reeeeeeeally wanted to hear inane gossip.

Fast-forward to SC2 and D3 and now we have a cutscene at the end of every mission, waaaaaaaaay more cinematics and every five steps you take in a mission and someone starts talking. The D3 LP going on right now is reminding me why I beat the game once, got to Act 2 Inferno and promptly put the game down to never touch it again. There was dialogue all over the place, bosses wouldn't stop talking and it just lost all of the charm that the first two games had. Diablo keeps talking non-stop throughout Act IV whereas in D2 all he ever said was "not even death can save you from me".

Really all this boils down to is that familiar phrase "brevity is the soul of wit"

"Actively offensive" is how I would describe SC2 and D3 plot in two words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
As generic as Artha's descent into evil story was, that's still a J.R.R Tolkien masterpiece than Darth Vader's version of it in the Star Wars prequels. Same for the implied romance angle with Jaina.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Skippy Granola posted:

Jeez, I forgot how insufferable the dialogue is in the Orc campaign. "Cairne this land is natural and rugged. I, a noble savage, appreciate this." "Yes we venerate nature." "We're good people, Cairne." "We do what we must to protect our savage and dignified way of life."

Metzen is a giant fuckin hack, is my point.

Maybe he could intern himself to the relative upstart called CDProjektRed to get an idea how good writing is done in a game aka characters that actually feel, act and talk like real people.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Jsor posted:

I actually don't get that into WoW when I play it. I mostly just play for a month or two, have fun leveling. I maybe do a couple of dungeons, than unsub. I've pretty much never seen any raid content that's not years old for that reason.

It has been more and more accessible to casuals but it still doesn't address how raiding is an inherently unfun slog made even more obvious with the perpetual gear treadmill. I also dumped Guild Wars 2 right after it became yet another WoW-esque gear grind schlock.

• Locked thread