Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

The Smart Baseball Dargon Sez:

"Baseball is chaos!"

His bat is signed by Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski
Hellote, and welcome to this brand spanking new Scrabble thread!

I am a word game nerd who has sporadically played in IRL scrabble tournaments since about 2004.

IRL Scrabble tournaments? Wha?

Yep. There is an active tournament scene in many parts of the world; and, despite the game originating in good ol' Murica, the most active regions for competitive play right now appear to be Southeast Asia and Africa. Many of the world's top players are from places like Thailand and Nigeria!

Wait, so there's Scrabble in Thai and in Nigerian?

No, they're playing English scrabble.

How?! Do they actually speak a lot of English then?!

Depends on the person. Knowledge of English is not a prerequisite, as you can just study words in the following manner

1 word in EGIIOPRS... PIROGIES!

That's called an alphagram, and associating the words to these strings of letters is a necessary heuristic of top level play.

Another quality that many top scrabblers have is a good grasp of math. A background in math will usually get you further by itself than a background in language arts by itself. There is a lot more that goes into this game than words by themselves!

I'm interested, but this poo poo sounds way too complicated!

You don't have to go all in and learn all the things, because, poo poo, I've been playing on and off for over a decade and, though I have potential to be a decent player, I have put in nowhere near enough effort to be top tier.

What I'm really trying to do is to get more goons into scrabble. I know there have been Scrabble threads in the past, ones that have died out, but I figured I could try to make one myself to see if I can get some support.

Where can I play?

The main place to play online is through a server downloaded from http://isc.ro that looks like a crappy modified telnet application from the 90s. There other places to play Scrabble and Scrabble-ish games, but most of the real life tourneyers who play online coalesce on ISC.

If you want to look for clubs and tournaments... many countries and regions have their own association websites (i.e. NASPA in America/Canada, ABSP in the UK, and others). The WESPA website should list a lot of these national organizations.

I'll probably add more to this topic starter as time goes on (assuming interest), but I haven't slept in over 36 hours so this starter isn't the best.

P.S. I always forget to change the tag from poo poo Post whenever I post a thread. My apologies.

Blue Wher fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread