Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

*sips caramel machiato while biking*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

City of Tampa posted:

how sick do you get of spinning up loving huge dirt bike tires? I really want a fat bike but I am afraid that I will be frustrated by how slow it probably is once the novelty wears off

there is some dude that has a Surly fat bike that I see on the trail all the time and he just has a big grin on his face and the giant tires sound like a a jacked up Jeep hummming down the path, it looks like so much fun

It's super loving fun from the little ive ridden it (its not mine), a little more work getting up to speed but god drat its fun once you get going. My dad rides it all over the place- snow, mud, off road in the woods. He's 66 now and he just recently did a 45 mile off road race on it, so he loves the thing like a new child lol

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

*Judges that a motorist has behaved inconsiderately towards them*
*Furiously chases them down, cornering them in a queue of traffic at a red light*
*Hammers on their window while screaming abuse and promising that this'll all be in a video on Youtube by the evening*

if this is happening to you on a regular basis you're probably a really bad driver

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

hemale in pain posted:

if this is happening to you on a regular basis you're probably a really bad driver

Cycling on road is a mental illness.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
EXCUSE ME I am also a VEHICLE and have every right to use the road as you do even if it means you have to go 10mph behind me on a one lane road!

Oh, a stop sign at a busy intersection... EXCUSE ME I am a PEDESTRIAN using the CROSSWALK and I have the RIGHT OF WAY!

*cars screech to a halt as biker just nonchalantly cycles through the intersection*

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

why cant you go around the bike... why are people so confused by simple driving i dunno wtf is going on but it seems to be an american problem?

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

EXCUSE ME I am also a VEHICLE and have every right to use the road as you do even if it means you have to go 10mph behind me on a one lane road!

Oh, a stop sign at a busy intersection... EXCUSE ME I am a PEDESTRIAN using the CROSSWALK and I have the RIGHT OF WAY!

*cars screech to a halt as biker just nonchalantly cycles through the intersection*

yeah a cyclist can be a vehicle or a pedestrian at will, depending on whatever is most suitable for the conditions at hand. It's one of the great things about riding a bike

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
*Cycles erratically down the road*
*in the dark*
*with no lights*
*while wearing dark clothing*

:ninja:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

hemale in pain posted:

i'm a cyclist :smug:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
*Gets hit by car that's making a right turn at a red light*

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

hemale in pain posted:

why cant you go around the bike... why are people so confused by simple driving i dunno wtf is going on but it seems to be an american problem?

Americans can barely loving drive as is with a stop and a go pedal, adding anything like corners or obstacles just makes them panic.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
americans are actually pretty good drivers compared to the italians, french, russians, chinese, brazillians, indians, and anyone in the middle east

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's because we have had car culture for longer than other countries.

Driving in Bulgaria is lunacy - people get on the sidewalks to pass you and run a red light and everything it's just straight lunacy.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

I think it's because we have had car culture for longer than other countries.

Driving in Bulgaria is lunacy - people get on the sidewalks to pass you and run a red light and everything it's just straight lunacy.

No its because we enforce traffic laws far more than other countries do.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jastiger posted:

No its because we enforce traffic laws far more than other countries do.

Yeah, that too, fair enough.

Bribing the police in Bulgaria was laughably easy last time I was there, even if they did pull you over (which granted it's been about 5-6 years so ymmv).

somuch_gravy
Oct 25, 2014

this place is good and not bad
cab drivers injure and kill cyclists for sport and leave the scene. i am thankful for apps like uber

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer
*rings bell and waves to friendly strangers*

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

DreamShipWrecked posted:

*arrested if riding on sidewalk*

*murdered if riding on road*

*eventually dies because mother of four take corner without looking and breaks my skull, despite my riding in bike lane*

This is the correctest summary.

*bikes downtown, gets shitfaced, bikes through Wendy's drive thru for munchies at 2AM*

somuch_gravy
Oct 25, 2014

*does a rad rear end wheelie*

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
*is a well-liked, attractive guy working in copywriting at a hip startup in its midlife stages, teaching himself coding so he can build useful workflow tools and gadgets that earn him some amount of respect from his peers and supervisors*

*gets hit on his bike riding home from work by a drunk driver, essentially ripping one of his legs completely off and killing him on the spot*

me: ha ha so yeah why do bikers do that one pant leg rolled up thing it's so goofy looking haha

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

gods honest truth

wireframeskull
Dec 3, 2006

bradzilla posted:

*sips caramel machiato while biking*

came here to post this

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

numberoneposter posted:

gods honest truth

gently caress stopping at stop signs. its a helluva lot harder to get going again than it is for you to tap the brakes in your car.

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Jastiger posted:

gently caress stopping at stop signs. its a helluva lot harder to get going again than it is for you to tap the brakes in your car.

But they are the most efficient form of transport?

somuch_gravy
Oct 25, 2014

"those cyclists should stop at stop signs like us cars"
:jerkbag:
we'll be outta your way quicker than if we'd have to consistently stop n' go

e: also i've gotta get to your moms house as fast as i can

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Jastiger posted:

Oh I agree. But how else am I going to show off my flawless track stand to the dorky super commuters decked out in neon yellow safety vests???

If it's a T style intersection and I'm not even going to touch my brakes.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

somuch_gravy posted:

"those cyclists should stop at stop signs like us cars"
:jerkbag:
we'll be outta your way quicker than if we'd have to consistently stop n' go

e: also i've gotta get to your moms house as fast as i can

I'm a biker and I don't follow traffic laws even though I'm legally supposed to do so! :jerkbag:

quote:

In all 50 states, people on bikes are required to follow the same laws as other drivers.

quote:

Just because some bicyclists ignore the rules doesn’t change the law, which says that bicyclists may use the road. The law does also say that bicyclists must follow the traffic rules.

From bike websites

http://bikeleague.org/content/traffic-laws
http://bicycledriving.org/public-awareness/motorists-should-know

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 16, 2015

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

As Thomas Jefferson once said "if a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

*skids brakeless fixie through four way stop sign on the way to the crusty gen-x hangout de jour*

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jukeboxblues posted:

But they are the most efficient form of transport?

It is if you don't have to abide by bullshit stop signs. Stop at major intersections imo, but if you and a car approach a stop sign at the same time, the bike should just cruise if its clear rather than stop to yield or something.

Bike Race Master Race.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

88h88 posted:

Americans can barely loving drive as is with a stop and a go pedal, adding anything like corners or obstacles just makes them panic.

If you think Americans are bad drivers try going to India, where they barely even have a driving test. And every time I've visited the Middle East or Eastern Europe taking a cab has been like a white knuckle ride. At least in the US you've got the threat of the police pulling you over and potentially killing you if they feel threatened. Keeps you in line.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
*motorist cuts me up so he can spend 5 seconds longer queuing at the red light ahead*
*I breeze straight through, giving him a cheery wave as I do so*

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Jastiger posted:

It is if you don't have to abide by bullshit stop signs. Stop at major intersections imo, but if you and a car approach a stop sign at the same time, the bike should just cruise if its clear rather than stop to yield or something.

Bike Race Master Race.

Pistol_Pete posted:

*motorist cuts me up so he can spend 5 seconds longer queuing at the red light ahead*
*I breeze straight through, giving him a cheery wave as I do so*

Hmm I wonder why people seem to hate cyclists...

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Jastiger posted:

Bike Race Master Race.

You're gonna get killed by a minivan, lol

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
When all cars become auto-driving, fixie bikes will be around to gently caress everything up.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Holy poo poo. I just realized that fixie stands for fixed gear and not "fixer upper" because I thought hipsters were into that recycling old bullshit for credibility thing.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I wonder how self driving cars are going to deal with places like New York, where the road signs for pedestrians are "white man says walk, red hand says also walk, you have places to be, gently caress everyone else"

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

revmoo posted:

Hmm I wonder why people seem to hate cyclists...

Because we know the 10 secrets their car insurer/mechanic/dealer doesn't want them to know!

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
going through stop signs on a bike is fine if there's nobody around imo

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
*is a tremendous human being*

*gets run over, dies*

* no one cares*