Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

The fire burns warmly, but casts little light into Mentor's study. The flickering shadows only hint at the vast number of books and scrolls that fill the many shelves. Slowly, Mentor walks over to the fire.

"Well, my friends, your training is complete. You are not yet true heroes - you have yet to prove yourselves. But first, let me tell you of Zargon...

"Many centuries ago, Zargon was my apprentice. He worked hard and learned quickly. But impatience devoured him. He wanted to learn more powerful magic. I told him of the dangers, and that he should be patient, for in time he would become a great sorcerer. But Zargon could not wait; each night he broke into my study and read my spellbooks. The secrets that were held within them were great indeed. Once he learned these secrets, Zargon fled.

"When I caught up with him, I found him greatly changed. He had pledged his allegiance to the Great Powers of Chaos. Fool! He saw magic only as a shortcut to power, and paid no heed to the terrible price he would have to pay. I tried to reason with him, but to no avail.He laughed in my face and then unleashed a terrible spell which I was hard-pressed to counter. For many days we battled, but Zargon had allies stronger even than I, and I could not defeat him. In the end, as we both weakened, he fled and sought refuge in the Northern Chaos Wastes. There he licked his wounds and honed his skills, conjuring ancient powers with which to overthrow the Empire.

"I must watch Zargon and measure the strength of his magic. The powers upon which Zargon has called with destroy us all if I relax from this vigil. Zargon's legions threatened us once before. Then it was Rogar who aided me and defeated them. Now they are on the march again; already they have assailed the borderlands. The Empire must again look for heroes and to this end I have trained you.

"You must complete a series of quests. If you do this, you will be accalimed as Champions of the Realm and dibbed imperial knights. Only then will you be on the road to becoming true heroes. I shall speak with you again on your return -
if you return..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Quest 1: The Trial

"You have learned well, my friends. Now has come the time of your first trial. You must enter the catacombs which contain Fellmarg's tomb. You must seek out and destroy Verag, a foul gargoyle who hides in the catacombs. Though it contains no traps or hidden doors, this quest will not be easy, and you must work together in order to survive. This is your first step on the road to becoming true heroes. Tread carefully, my friends."

Here's the opening setup, with the four of you standing on the mostly-concealed spiral staircase tile. This tile counts as one space, and your first square of movement can be to any square adjacent to it. The brown thing on the south wall is a door. Turns will be processed in posting order, but you may have to pause to wait for me when opening a door or rounding a corner.

The wizard and elf need to pick their spell groups; you can do that in your initial posts.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Otherwise, get going!

5-Headed Snake God fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 15, 2015

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.

"No trial is greater than Hrothgar the Mighty, for Hrothgar is mighty great."

Move roll - 5

Move to the door, open it, look in the hall, and then if there's only one way to go, the rest of the 3 spaces in that direction.

pre:
Name: Hrothgar the Mighty
Attack: 3   Defense: 2
Body: 8/8  Mind: 2/2

Weapons: Broadsword [equipped]
Armor: Abs of Steel
Items: Nothing
Gold: 0
Cards: "Dodge & Trip"

IPlayVideoGames fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Dec 15, 2015

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

In a situation like this, opening the door only gives you sight to the three squares directly outside it - everything else is obscured by walls. It's not until you step into the hallway that you can see the door and block tile.

Hrothgar has 1 point of movement left.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

Move Right one more and done.

Edit: I forgot diagonal movement isn't a thing

IPlayVideoGames fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Dec 15, 2015

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Balarithdil

"If we return? Pfffft."

Movement: 2d6 5

Boldly moving to R4 to stand behind Hrothgar. Might as well look for secret doors, too.

I'll wait for Lager on spells, but if you don't choose Earth as your #1, I'll follow Maleketh's expert advice and choose that.

pre:
Name: Balarithdil
Attack: 2   Defense: 2
Body: 6/6  Mind: 4/4

Weapons: Shortsword [equipped]
Armor: Sheer force of will
Spells: TBC

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Balarithdil finds no secret doors, which isn't too surprising as you've already been told that this quest doesn't have any.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
It was better than doing nothing! (Probably not, it was exactly the same as doing nothing.)

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

"Did you find anything? Wait, of course you didn't, blondie."

Mardibeth will move out to the hall and take the space to Hrothgar's right (R6).

Movement 1: 2d6 6

And let's search for traps just because.

pre:
Name: Mardibeth
Body: 7/7  Mind: 3/3

Armor: Dwarven Hubris
Cards: "Rallying Cry"

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 16, 2015

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Isvior

"Oh, I see, your all marching right in. Well, all right, forward! Once more into the breach! Oh, um...wait for me!"

Move Roll: 2d6 4

I'm just going to hang out at the back of the party, obviously, because I'm very, very squishy. And yeah, Elf taking the Earth spells makes the most sense - they're more well suited to his character. When I played this as a kid we always did that by default, forgot the rules said you can pick.

pre:
Name: Isvior Swinton
Attack: 1   Defense: 2
Body: 4/4  Mind: 6/6

Weapons: Dagger [equipped]
Armor: Frail Body
Spells: Genie, Tempest, Swift Wind, Ball of Flame, Fire of Wrath, Courage, Sleep, Water of Healing, Veil of Mist

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

"I swear that door was closer before."

Move - 2 :v:

Move 2 further down the hall.

pre:

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Mardibeth finds no traps, of course. It's still worth pointing out that her search doesn't cover any squares to her left - her view is blocked by Hrothgar. In a quest that has traps you'll have to be careful about that.

Also, once everyone's taken a turn I'd prefer you wait for me to update. That will let me keep the map updated and should help keep us from losing track of who still has a turn in the current round.

For now, Balathradil, Mardibeth, and Isvior are still up.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

Whoops, sorry about that.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

IPlayVideoGames posted:

Whoops, sorry about that.

No worries; we're all still getting acclimated to each other, and I didn't state it earlier.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Balarithdil

Movement: 2d6 6

Move through the door and three squares left to S1 just to get visibility of that corridor, then if nothing terrible happens, two steps right back to S3.

pre:

Spells: Heal Body, Rock Skin, Pass Through Rock

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Mardibeth & Isvior remain.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Isvior

Move Roll: 2d6 7

I'll move up to S9 and hang out there, rather than opening a potentially monsterfilled room myself, because I'll die if hit by a stiff breeze.

pre:

Spells: Genie, Tempest, Swift Wind, Ball of Flame, Fire of Wrath, Courage, Sleep, Water of Healing, Veil of Mist

Lager fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 16, 2015

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Mardibeth

"Alright then, I'll take point. Cowards."

Movement 2: 2d6 4

Mardibeth takes S8 and slowly opens the door, taking a peek inside.

(Not moving in until we see what's in there.)

pre:

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

That's an alchemist bench on the left and a bookcase on the north wall.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I forget, do they do anything? Or are they just there to take up room.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

IPlayVideoGames posted:

I forget, do they do anything? Or are they just there to take up room.

They could be used as holders for room-specific treasure or other events, but they don't have any intrinsic properties except blocking movement and line-of-sight.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Mardibeth

"Oh ho ho, look what Zargon dragged in. Hey everyone, orcs!"

Mardibeth steps over to R8 to make room for Hrothgar to make his first attack. Not going to pop Rallying Cry just yet. I feel like there's more to come.

E: Wait! R8! I forgot they move after my turn.

E2: I'm conflicted about this position. I don't want the wizard to get hit, but I also want the barbarian to get a shot out on his turn. I'll be back in a couple hours. Can we think about this or should Mardy just take her lumps?

pre:

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 17, 2015

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

If you stay in the doorway at S8 you can at least only get swung at by one of them. Then if you don't kill it on your next turn you can move aside. I believe Maleketh is letting us go in any order.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

I want to post before bed, so I'll be nice as keep you at S8.

As a side note, you could also have ended your turn without opening the door, giving everyone a turn next round before the orcs and potentially killing them before they got any attacks.

The orc at O8 moves to R8 and attacks Mardibeth: 2 skulls - 0 white shields = 2 damage.
The orc at P9 moves to O7.

Orc attacks Mardy: 3#1d6 2 5 3 2#1d6 1 1

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Mardibeth

"Alright, you lardass orcs. Heroes, CHARGE!"

Mardibeth triggers Rallying Cry, giving every hero an extra Attack and Defense Die this turn. Then she strikes!

1 Skull - 1 Black Shield = 0 damage.

Attack+1 Orc: 3#1d6 4 6 2
Defend Orc: 2#1d6 6 4

"Now, strike while I've, euh, softened 'em up!"

Mardibeth retreats to S10 and ends her turn.

Movement 3: 2d6 6

pre:
Body: 5/7  Mind: 3/3

Weapons: Shortsword[equipped]

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I'll let Balarithdil go next, since it'll be easier for me to reach the back orc, assuming I don't roll another 2 for movement.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Balarithdil

"Ah-ha!" Balarithdil sprints down the corridor with sudden enthusiasm and catches the orc by surprise.

Movement: 2d6 10 Move to S8.
Attacking the orc: 3#1d6 5 5 2 - 1 Skull
Orc defence: 2#1d6 1 5 - 0 Black Shields

pre:

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

"Oh ho! Charge!"

Move - 5 - Move to o8
Attack Orc - 3 Skulls
Orc Defense - 0 Black Shields

pre:

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Isvior

"Good show, friends! I couldn't have done it better myself! I mean literally. I just have this little dagger."

I'll move in and start searching the room.

pre:

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

I am assuming this is a search for treasure, since traps and secret doors don't feature in this quest. That does need to be specified since those are different actions. I'm also assuming you're moving to R8 since there was no movement roll.

Anyway, let's see what you got...

Gold!: You search and find small amounts of gold hidden in several places. But you lose track of time. Roll 1d6 and multiply the result by 10 to see how many gold coins you find. You then miss your next turn. Record the money on your sheet. Do not return this card to the deck.

Gold!: 1d6*10 40

Isvior finds 40 gold and misses his next turn.

There are no monsters on the board, so my turn passes without incident.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

Hrothgar searches for treasure also.

pre:

Items: Potion of Strength (+2 attack)

IPlayVideoGames fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 19, 2015

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Looks like luck is with you.

Potion of Strength: You find a small purple flask. You can drink this strange-smelling liquid at any time, enabling you to roll 2 extra combat dice the next time you attack. This may be used only once. Do not return this card to the deck.

Notable here is that quaffing a potion isn't an action - it can be done at any time, even when it's not your turn. That's not overly useful with this particular potion, but it's very relevant for others.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

Move to P9

And done.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Mardibeth

Movement 4: 2d6 7

"Hey, save some for me in there! Ow."

Mardibeth hobbles over to O9 and searches for treasure. Preferably of the healing variety.

pre:
Body: 5/7  Mind: 3/3

Weapons: Shortsword[equipped]
Cards: heh

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Jewels!: You find a small wooden box. It is simple-looking and very old. Within, you discover that it is lined with velvet and contains 50 gold coins. Record the money on your sheet. Do not return this card to the deck.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Balarithdil

Not to be left out, the elf follows the group into the orcs' room.

Movement: 2d6 6 - Move to Q9.

I'll wait until next turn before doing any treasure hunting just in case.

pre:

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

And Isvior misses his turn.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Balarithdil

Balarithdil belatedly joins the search for treasure.

pre:

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

Hrothgar applies foot to door.

pre:

Items: Potion of Strength (+2 attack)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Balarithdil turns up another potion!

Heroic Brew: You are surprised to find a leather bag hanging on the wall. If you drink its contents before you attack, you can make two attacks instead of one. This may be used only once. Do not return this card to the deck.

And then Hrothgar kicks in the door.

• Locked thread