Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/solar-farm-suck-up-the-sun_566e9aeee4b0e292150e5d66

quote:

A town council in North Carolina rejected plans to rezone land for a solar farm after residents voiced fears it would cause cancer, stop plants from growing and suck up all the energy from the sun.

:bravo: idiots.

I know "this is what's wrong with America" gets thrown around a lot, but this is literally what's wrong with America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
LOL @ this dying empire

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
nevar forget

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I did the math you guys, the science checks out

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
op you telling me you are pro cancer?

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

democracy loving owns

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Snatch Duster posted:

op you telling me you are pro cancer?

Not as much as I'm anti plant and also pro darkness.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

OP don't you think linking to huffpost and calling people retards in the same post is kinda throwing stones in glass houses

anyway lol money quote

http://www.roanoke-chowannewsherald.com/2015/12/08/woodland-rejects-solar-farm/?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link posted:

Jane Mann said she is a local native and is concerned about the natural vegetation that makes the community beautiful.

She is a retired Northampton science teacher and is concerned that photosynthesis, which depends upon sunlight, would not happen and would keep the vegetation from growing. She said she has observed areas near solar panels where vegetation is brown and dead because it did not receive enough sunlight.

She also questioned the high number of cancer deaths in the area, saying no one could tell her that solar panels didn’t cause cancer.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 15, 2015

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I'm from NC and you'd be surprised how many people are into coal rolling, low gas mileage vehicles and hate preserving the planet as a whole because it trolls liberals and Obama.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

suck up all the energy from the sun?? thats exactly what solar panels do! I have solar panels on my house so I am an expert.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
cancer?? lol because burning coal or whatever for power actually de-ages you and gives you whiter teeth

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

quote:

Other residents feared the effect it would have on the price of their homes.

lol just lol. Middle-class as gently caress.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What region is this in?! No way it could POSSIBLY be in a certain area.

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer
lol how can u farm the sun lol ur an idiot op

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

They didn't reject it because of that one crazy lady's opinion. That's just the most sensational part of the story the media's been able to find.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
NiMBRH (Not in My Backwater Redneck Hellhole)

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
perhaps the terrorists are correct

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer
brb guys going to go plow the sun then wait until spring so I can harvest the sun lmao fuckin idiot

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Jastiger posted:

What region is this in?! No way it could POSSIBLY be in a certain area.

Either the South or Iowa.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
My brain literally hurts reading parts of that article.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Fitzy Fitz posted:

They didn't reject it because of that one crazy lady's opinion. That's just the most sensational part of the story the media's been able to find.

Good. I hope this prompts the rest of the nation to shame their poo poo town.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

http://www.roanoke-chowannewsherald.com/2015/12/08/woodland-rejects-solar-farm/?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link

quote:

Three other solar farms were previously accepted by the town council, with one now in the process of installing solar panels.

The solar farm companies are seeking placement around Woodland because it has an electrical substation nearby where the solar power generated by the panels can be added to the electrical grid.

Strata’s proposal would have competed encircling the Woodland substation.

HuffPo can't report for poo poo.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

maybe the real reason they dint like it was its a waste of money with all that wonderful cheap coal and gas available

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It wasn't like that one lady vetoed it on her own, but it still shows that more than a few people said stupid poo poo like this in the town hall meeting, and it was still shot down.

Obstacle2 posted:

Either the South or Iowa.

Lol you can't troll the master. We all know this poo poo is in the South. Iowa is like 2nd in wind energy, it owns when it comes to progressive energy.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
ugh everyone knows solar farms creates more solars.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I thought this was debunked, not that it isn't a perfect example of Poe's Law as it applies to news content

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I store the sun in giant silos so even though i have too much right now it will last me through the dark winters.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

For NC only college triangle and also Asheville are good.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
just tossing in an unironic 'holy gently caress why'

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
(to the tune of that song) what if someone built a solar farm
and nobody cared

sorry i dont remember which song it was

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

those people are no dumber than greens that think solar panels and eating mung beans will reduced future temps by 2 degrees c

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Jastiger posted:

It wasn't like that one lady vetoed it on her own, but it still shows that more than a few people said stupid poo poo like this in the town hall meeting, and it was still shot down.

Town hall meetings are really just open mics for crazy people.

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

gently caress the ROW posted:

(to the tune of that song) what if someone built a solar farm
and nobody cared

sorry i dont remember which song it was

I think it was an Iron Maiden song.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

lol at local rights at all to be honest

the state demands your service :wouldyouliketoknowmore:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
"I fear and mistrust the solar panels."

- a retard

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Fat Jesus posted:

maybe the real reason they dint like it was its a waste of money with all that wonderful cheap coal and gas available

Hey guys why are you spending money on drinking water when you can drink this bottle of poison for much less!?

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer
In all seriousness why are you stealing precious resources from the sun? We need the sun to live so if we steal all its power we doom ourselves. Then it will be Global No-Suning.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yankee carpetbaggers are coming to our town to take our tax dollars and put up sun stealing devices

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I think we oughta take a closer look at the sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

"I fear and mistrust the solar panels."

- a retard

I bet these people vote.

• Locked thread