Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I can't independently confirm this but I have a feeling kung fu movies have misrepresented the actual prevalence and social influence of unstoppable Chinese secret assassins. If factoids about people gave serial killers the power to lead a whole country around by the nose however they pleased there'd probably be a lot fewer prostitutes and an outsider minority group very publicly killing the most upstanding everyday Joes they can find to terrorize everyone else into compliance strikes me as more a rally round the flag and kill all the terrorists moment than something that's likely to reduce the nation entire to cowering quislings.

Didn't work for France in Algeria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

The colonial French administration kind of had a problem it actually being them who was the minority in Algeria

I'm pretty sure at least half of Chinese people identify as Chinese

The majority of FLN terrorism was aimed at Muslim Algerians, however. This didn't prompt a rallying around Frenchness because terrorism is capable of working when the ruling government is unable to respond to the root political causes. This is not the case in China currently, but faith in technological terrors is misplaced.

• Locked thread