Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHcTKWiZ8sI

Fascism just got upgrades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBYBSX-lNsI

https://www.aclu.org/blog/free-future/chinas-nightmarish-citizen-scores-are-warning-americans

quote:

China is launching a comprehensive “credit score” system, and the more I learn about it, the more nightmarish it seems. China appears to be leveraging all the tools of the information age—electronic purchasing data, social networks, algorithmic sorting—to construct the ultimate tool of social control. It is, as one commentator put it, “authoritarianism, gamified.”

lollontee fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Reserved.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Morbus posted:

Idiot #1: "Hey, guys, the social dynamic between the Chinese citizenry and our government is not as harmonious as we would like...how can we improve things??"

Idiot #2: "I KNOW WHAT TO DO! lets turn the whole thing into an MMOG, which are well known for inspiring peaceful, cooperative, and deferential attitudes both among the playerbase, and between them and the developers!"

Supreme Commander of the Forces of Idiocy: "YES!!! And who better to put in charge than Riot Games! Some day, our citizens may possess as much obedience, patience, and team spirit as the players in League of Legends!"

The punchline is that it'll work.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The David Cameron episode had rave reviews

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tracking your credit worthiness for business reasons is in an entirely different ballpark from trying to forcefully enforce a very definate kind of political public behaviour and singling out of those who do not conform and then punishing them. This a something new and terrifying in entirely unique kinds of ways. I would go so far as to say that we're looking at the birth of a wholly novel type of totalitarian state.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fojar38 posted:

I still don't understand how people are connecting state-surveillance with capitalism.

Because the kind of Authoritarian Capitalism (or capitalism with asian values) that practices these kinds of policies are the most succesful economies of today?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXVEnxtZe_w

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mean I get it, it's a confusing time and it's a weird thing to think that authoritarian states might come up societal innovations that actually work and create stable societies, especially if you still think that Fukuyama was right. Spoiler alert: even Fukuyama doesnt believe in it anymore. I'm not trying to sound alarmist and I doubt that the worst kinds of abuses we see in China or Singapore will ever happen on the same scale as do there, but I really do think that what is being created there is a true novelty. An authoritarian state with nominal personal freedoms and total political oppression, which contrary to all historical precedents has a functional economy and is stable.

It's going to have repercussions. You're going to have a bad time.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Eat the rich. Claim their powers.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Whether or not Sesame Credit is similar to the US credit score, doesn't really matter. Fact is, Sesame Credit is going to have huge repercussions for the Chinese society after it becomes mandatory.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

computer parts posted:

Probably not, given how the Great Firewall has turned out.

I don't see how that has anything to do with the subject, but thanks for your completely worthless opinion regardless.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bob le Moche posted:

Guys I heard that in China they take children away from their parents during weekdays from a very young age, and make them go through mandatory years of indoctrination by specialized state functionaries. They force them to memorize what the government wants and are constantly being made to prove their commitment through "tests" administered to them, all throughout they get rated and evaluated with numbers that only serve to determine how fit individuals are as potential workers for different industries. If you obey and go along you get rewarded but if you resist you get punished and your scores get lowered. Everyone in China grows up with such "grade" attached to them that determine who you are allowed to become WOW!!! O:

I can go get you a screen if you want to give us the powerpoint presentation. You seem to have the projector already.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

computer parts posted:

Another mandatory social control tool is not relevant?

Well if you can't even say how, then yeah.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Anything bad happening in china is obviously just racis stereotyping accordinf to the stalinist retards that populate dnd. and Amerikkka is jsut as bad if not worse and furthermore

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bob le Moche posted:

it's cool how you're still talking as if that youtube video is talking about something real as opposed to what is basically a work of science fiction originating from fraudulent journalism

Please go poo poo up some other thread with your racist projections and crap satire.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I for one am nevertheless grateful there is still 'room for concern'. I heavens for that small concession.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ddraig posted:

I guess I find it hard to see it as anything but the worst kind of hand-wringing liberal hypocrisy when people fret and worry about how bad those inscrutable Chinese are when there are equal, if not bigger, violations of human rights closer to home that are completely glossed over, presumably because they happen to "scary people", as if human rights are not something that should be given universally.

The UK and the US are two signatories to the UDHR yet you can find many, many examples of these two countries wilfully breaking this whenever it's politically convenient to do so.

That's the thing about human rights: They're for everyone, all the time, or they're for no-one, ever.

Find some other thread if you want to complain about that poo poo. Posting really long-winded idgaf rants is extremely retarded. Thank you.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

In case other posters intend to ignore your link, I would like to note that even the piece you quote has this to say:

Seems to me more likely that the ACLU has access to specifics that this blogger doesn't, and that is why they are making the connection with Alibaba and Tencent. But even if they pulled that part of it out of their asses, there is room for concern for the reasons people are stating, rather than because of any kind of racism towards Chinese people or South-East Asians in general.

The crux of that blog was basically "well none of this has happened yet so why should we think about it" so yeah whatever. It's a bit concerning there isn't any deeper analysis of how Sesame Credit is going to affect the Chinese society. Or at least I can't find any atm.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ddraig posted:

You see this post? It's the rhetorical equivalent of the Chinese anti-suicide net.

The Chinese are terrible in many, many ways - out of all of the criticisms to use against them, a lovely credit rating system is by far the least important. If you really want to make a difference in the average life of a Chinese person, instead of making hand-wringing "Isn't that terrible?" points you should probably focus on more important aspects like horrendous worker conditions fuelled by outsourcing and lovely trade agreements not being enforced or outright lied about.

Until then it's just putting a net up and not really looking into why people are jumping.

Please go project your extremely retarded and racist opinions onto some other thread. Thank you.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Another authoritarian regimes makes the usual mistake of being to obvious. You can have the same effect by letting these structures grow organically, being offered for free and viewed as a blessing to many (facebook et al).

Well there isn't a whole lot on Sesame Credit to be found on the net tbh. They're being about as subtle as it's possible to be about this sort of stuff.

I wonder how the Chinese social media is going to react to this once people start cluing into what's actually going on. I mean even living in an authoritarian system under the kind of total shitheels that make up the CPC, there's gotta be a point where people start going 'nope nope nope nope' in large enough numbers for it to start worrying the leadership.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

China Uncensored has already reported on this in May by the way:

added to the op

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The OP will NOT be edited. Thank you.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ddraig posted:

Have you ever considered joining the CPC? You might have a bright future ahead of you.

Have you ever considered making a post which is either funny, informative, or interesting on any level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

UltraRed posted:

So is there a sign up/ open beta yet?

It's in pre-alpha tech demo stage right now. Currently looking into possibility for partnering wtih maverick game developer Chris Roberts

• Locked thread