Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

YOU AINT GOT FREEDOM OF SPEECH IF I TALK LOUDER THAN YOU AND NOBODY CAN HEAR YOU BECAUSE IM USING MY FREEDOM OF SPEECH HAHAHA.

Pretty much what we get due to media consolidation and control

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Sheep-Goats posted:

There was an old guy collecting signatures outside of the Safeway saying "It's for crime victim's rights" and I was like lol I'm for the criminals you loving idiot.

But I actually am :wink:

same except imperialism

some old woman tried to accost me outside my lecture hall to talk about imperialism and I said "oh, I love imperialism!"

and she got this really indignant look and said "well it hasn't done anything for you!" and turned away

then I went about my day enjoying the benefits of the civilization that literally wouldn't exist here (or, very likely, exist at all) without imperialism

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

Good. Free speech is bad.

Yeah people need to shut up lol.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Yeah people need to shut up lol.

well generally I think you should be allowed to congregate and talk about whatever you want but only good things should be allowed to be published or broadcast

like I don't think we're benefiting in any way from the Turner Diaries. Mein Kampf has the distinct value of giving us insight into a prominent historical figure but if Hitler had never become Chancellor and had vanished into obscurity along with the Nazi Party I'd say the same about that.

some people have posited to me the argument that we need to be exposed to those ideas in order to know how and why they're bad, but 1) no we don't 2) I'm pretty sure like 99% of people will never read the Turner Diaries regardless and the people who do will only do so either because they've already bought into the ideology it's inspired by or because they already know it's horrific, 3) who gives a gently caress what we know about it if we know enough to actively repress it out of existence.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
it should be illegal to talk and also to think imo

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Zzulu posted:

:agreed:

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Moridin920 posted:

the honors/AP kids weren't that smart, they would just grind homework while normal kids were grinding pelvises together.

ftfy

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I can't believe something as silly as this would happen!

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Zzulu posted:

in the future all utterances are outlawed except "cuck" and "I'm gay"

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
this probably totally unbiased, unedited, and unstaged video (that i didnt watch) has persuaded me and now i think conservatives are smart and liberals are dumb

cut benefits for the poor and cut taxes for the wealthiest!: it has never actually gotten them to give a little extra trickle instead of just pocketing it before but eventually when they feel they have "enough" money it is bound to work

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

gary oldmans diary posted:

this probably totally unbiased, unedited, and unstaged video (that i didnt watch) has persuaded me and now i think conservatives are smart and liberals are dumb

wow, way to judge this video based on your ideological prejudices without even watching it. your post is not exactly...

...wait for it...

fair and balanced!!!!! lmbo

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Nooner posted:

Mods are treading on my rights by not letting me post things like "im gay" and "cuck, lol" ):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js0JutcAJj0

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes

well generally I think you should be allowed to congregate and talk about whatever you want but only good things should be allowed to be published or broadcast

like I don't think we're benefiting in any way from the Turner Diaries. Mein Kampf has the distinct value of giving us insight into a prominent historical figure but if Hitler had never become Chancellor and had vanished into obscurity along with the Nazi Party I'd say the same about that.

some people have posited to me the argument that we need to be exposed to those ideas in order to know how and why they're bad, but 1) no we don't 2) I'm pretty sure like 99% of people will never read the Turner Diaries regardless and the people who do will only do so either because they've already bought into the ideology it's inspired by or because they already know it's horrific, 3) who gives a gently caress what we know about it if we know enough to actively repress it out of existence.

same, but also for the communist manifesto, and the ppl who buy into it who are complicit in its crimes against humanity.

who should all be rounded up and disappeared.

which should be considerably easier once we get rid of the pesky first amendment.

:hfive:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

the honors/AP kids weren't that smart, they would just grind homework while normal kids were grinding WoW. yeah there were a couple actual intelligent people in there but lol.

If you take 100 AP kids there are four smart ones in there. If you take the rest of the class, say 1500 kids, there is one more smart kid in there.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

you sure showed those millenial ivory tower book-learnin' college lirburlz with your lovely rendition of Jaywalking, Fox News

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I was just walking down the street one day, not talking or anything, and some lady comes out of her house and shushes me. I haven't been talked to like that since the babysitter who used to stick her finger up my rear end and mispronounce my name and tell me i didn't know how to say it right used to shush me.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

kindermord posted:

same, but also for the communist manifesto, and the ppl who buy into it who are complicit in its crimes against humanity.

who should all be rounded up and disappeared.

which should be considerably easier once we get rid of the pesky first amendment.

:hfive:

same on all accounts :hfive:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

I was just walking down the street one day, not talking or anything, and some lady comes out of her house and shushes me. I haven't been talked to like that since the babysitter who used to stick her finger up my rear end and mispronounce my name and tell me i didn't know how to say it right used to shush me.

she was right dumbass it's "clandestine" not "clamdestine"

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

it was better when the man show did it a hundred years ago but what can you expect from a man named ami

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
is there a petition I can sign to demolish Yale and deport its entire student body to North Korea immediately and permanently

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

katlington posted:

it was better when the man show did it a hundred years ago but what can you expect from a man named ami
wasn't theirs to end women's suffrage? probably a lot of people don't know what the word is but it sounds like suffering so they're like "okay I'm against that" but the 1st amendment? smdh

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

she was right dumbass it's "clandestine" not "clamdestine"

Sh-shut up. :cripes:

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

tetsuo posted:

wasn't theirs to end women's suffrage? probably a lot of people don't know what the word is but it sounds like suffering so they're like "okay I'm against that" but the 1st amendment? smdh

Yeah it's a good thing they didn't let the women vote on that one eh?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

tetsuo posted:

Yeah i mean the women's suffrage one and the dihydrogen monoxide ones were intentionally designed to trick people who didn't actually understand what the petition was asking, which is funny in a haha their dumb sort of way but its not like they actually would have voted to ban water if they knew.

This one is different cause there's no gotcha, these people genuinely believe speech shouldn't be protected because they actively want to oppress people. They weren't tricked into being fascists.

tmm3k
Jul 19, 2006
Repeal the first and second amendments imo

Move the third amendment to the front it's the most important

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

tmm3k posted:

Repeal the first and second amendments imo

Move the third amendment to the front it's the most important

lookit this guy who doesn't support the troops

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

is there a petition I can sign to demolish Yale and deport its entire student body to North Korea immediately and permanently

plucky little nork korea is an antiimperialist state that unfairly gets shat on by kkkapitalist amerikkka

I'm pretty sure many a hipster armchair activist would think being sent there is cool and good till they arrive

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

blowfish posted:

plucky little nork korea is an antiimperialist state that unfairly gets shat on by kkkapitalist amerikkka

I'm pretty sure many a hipster armchair activist would think being sent there is cool and good till they arrive

exactly, it's win-win

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

do you still have her number?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I think we should go ahead and abolish all of the amendments. When people have rights they gently caress it all up so we should go back to having kings and emperors.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

some old woman tried to accost me outside my lecture hall to talk about imperialism and I said "oh, I love imperialism!"

and she got this really indignant look and said "well it hasn't done anything for you!" and turned away

:ironicat:

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Kitchner posted:

What is it with news websites and videos these days? I don't want to watch a lovely loving video, tell me what the petition said and give me some quotes of why students said they supported it.

loving journalists.

For real, a lot of things don't need video. Especially with my work pc being a slow piece of poo poo that may or may not trigger the proxy filters from video clips.

It's usually someone talking about not much with scenes of cars going by.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MiracleWhale posted:

do you still have her number?

867-5309

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
The guy's name is Ami? Like.. Amy? Or..

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

thanks bro, I owe ya a solid. gonna rub one out real quick before I call to make sure I come across all smooth

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I expect this petition to hit the senate sometime after the petition to change the ending of Mass Effect 3

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
It's pretty obvious that 49 out of 50 people who signed that petition heard it was to "Repeal the first amendment", and assumed it was a pro gun control petition. So yeah they're either just a little stupid, or just not paying attention and being led into a corner by the petitioner.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MiracleWhale posted:

thanks bro, I owe ya a solid. gonna rub one out real quick before I call to make sure I come across all smooth

She's really into the whole "tired and uninterested" thing sexually.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Frankenstyle posted:

It's pretty obvious that 49 out of 50 people who signed that petition heard it was to "Repeal the first amendment", and assumed it was a pro gun control petition. So yeah they're either just a little stupid, or just not paying attention and being led into a corner by the petitioner.
If we were talking about any other amendments than the first and second i could see this but everyone knows those two. If you're on any sort of social media you will see people posting about gun rights (either for or against) and the 2nd amendment is always mentioned. Similarly everytime people get into a slapfight about free speech, the first is inappropriately invoked.

These students want to censor speech they don't like, there's no gotcha here. And its in plenty of those on campus "meet our demands or else" letters too so it doesn't surprise me in the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

please sign this petition to remove pabst from the campus liquor store

• Locked thread