Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
War. War never changes.

The end of the world came sooner than anyone had predicted. When the missiles flew and the world was lost in atomic fire, Vault-Tec's great underground Vaults, touted as the only means of preserving the future of America, were all scheduled to fill to capacity, but only rarely did all those on the list make it into the shelters deep underground.

Such was the case with the "overflow" Vaults in scenic Oklahoma, whose rosters were drawn from those rejected from other Vaults. When the sirens sounded and the call went out, many of those on the list were several hundred miles from their salvation.

Although few bombs fell on Oklahoma, the region's weather patterns worked against it. High winds blew in fallout from neighboring regions, and ripped up the topsoil that was no longer held in place by the dying plant life, blowing radioactive dust into every crack and crevice and burying whole towns. Oklahoma became a dust bowl to rival the 1930s, and when the Vaults opened, the survivors of the Great War had to learn to eke out a living in this unpredictable climate.

On the heels of the new Dust Bowl came a new Gold Rush. The dust storms covered and preserved dozens of pre-war sites before they could fall to pieces or be looted, drawing fortune seekers of all stripes. Scavengers traveled with brahmin and ruin-sniffing dog, raiders would occasionally do something resembling legitimate work, and the Brotherhood of Steel naturally took an interest. In this new atmosphere of exploration and adventure, small power groups, known as Prospectors, coalesced to support factions or settlements they belonged to. It is inevitable that these Prospectors will clash with the ideals and forces of others.

And who now knows what the future will bring?

Intro Movie

This is a game set in the Fallout universe, using the Atomic Robo RPG rules. All rules modules will be in use, including brainstorms and inventions. The Tesladyne faction rules (page 215) will be used for the faction or settlement the PCs are closest to, which will be something hashed out once players are chosen. Create characters as described in the book, whichever method you desire, no houserules or hacks. I'm expecting proportionately more Weird characters just due to how the system meshes with the setting.

If you wish to be from a Vault, I have tentative plans that Vaults 40 through 56 could have been in the area. Not all of them, naturally. None of these are taken by the various games, and only a few of them have canon or semi-canon details. The Fallout wiki has a list of known Vaults should you wish it. However, I have come up with Vaults 40 and 41 myself as the overflow Vaults mentioned in the intro. 40 had a very small security force that was overwhelmed by the local citizenry, allowing the Vault to fill past capacity. 41 was solidly defended and had a large support staff, resulting in only three civilian families being allowed entry. I have thoughts about what happened with them, but if you want to be from one of those two, either contact me so we can work together, or make something up yourself. Chances are it'll be at least as good as my idea.

Since actual recruitment and play across the holiday season is a bad idea, this thread will initially serve as a brainstorming session, where those interested can make interest posts and throw out ideas for NPCs, locations, plots, etc. Build a character if you like, but be prepared to repost or link it if there's a lot of activity between then and actual recruitment.

Actual recruitment will start on January 1st, ending on the 7th.

I am in #redhandofdoom and #badwrongfun on synIRC, so those are the logical places for discussion to occur otherwise.

Blame Piell for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Here are the ideas I already have in my file:

Setting: Oklahoma. Radioactive dust bowl mechanics.

Use Tesladyne mechanics to represent PC settlement

Fort Sill gets heavy radioactive winds
McAlester: ammo storehouse/plant. El Dorado?

One settlement has a shrine of rubble tied together with cables, sealing a "demon".

Grand Brahmin - mutated bison

Unplug: anti-technology group, against atomic power as cause of woes. Mild anti-robot sentiment, spiking to high in certain segments. Have re-developed wind power (Mostly mechanical, some repurposed dynamos).

Vault 40: Overflow vault, under-securitied. Everyone from the surrounding area wound up flooding in.

Vault 41: Overflow vault, over-staffed. Only three families were admitted. Evolved into inbred monarchy as the staff refused to interbreed with the civilians.

Vault 55: No entertainment tapes. Residents developed rich storytelling tradition, became wandering storytellers/historians.

Vault 56: Only entertainment tapes from one bad comic actor. Now raider band.

Norman, OK - houses UOK, National Weather Center, Storm Prediction Center, and Severe Storm Laboratory. If weather becomes plot point, hella hooks.

Doctor/chem dealer with "Better Living Through Chemistry" aspect

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

If I haven't played a Fallout game since 2, will I be totally lost?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Nope! I haven't played 4, myself, but I actually sort of prefer the earlier games, anyway.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Awww yeaaah

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I am so with this.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
I'm interested. I think I have a good grasp on Atomic Robo now.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Backstory I'm thinking of for my dude are probably gonna be one of these 3.

1. Midwest Brotherhood of Steel Scribe. I'm pretty sure these dudes went out east after fallout 1, had their own spinoff game and all that jazz. I'll reread before I finalize that but I"m pretty sure this would work.
2. Vault 41 royalty or some ole poo poo. Only 3 families made it in+the vault tec staff? I figure those 3 families were probably random but had the good fortune to be have run businesses prewar. Restaurants, the dollar store, a Corvega dealership. Maybe out of Vault 41 spawned the local Oklahoma Caravan Companies?
3. Just a drifter with a gun in his hand. Can't go wrong with that.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The caravan companies is a good thought, Vault 41 hasn't had much effort put into it beyond "The circumstances surrounding Charles II were hilarious, much like his face."

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Weird 50s SCIENCE! is always fun, let me give this a shot:

Vault 48: Observe how human society develops under an all-powerful supercomputer and its robotic attendants.

Laser weaponry, emergency shutdowns, and heavy bludgeons were, of course, supplied liberally throughout the Vault. But they weren't needed: things go smoothly for many generations. Food is provided, order is maintained, and the computer shows genuine concern for its citizens. All is well. The first Overseer dies peacefully in her sleep, convinced of the experiment's success.

Things are too well. Massive failure did not arrive on schedule. One segment of the computer grows convinced that the vault's peace is a plot by Red infiltrators to soften up the citizenry. Subtle cybernetics and drugs are introduced to deal with this problem, administered to a random sample of the population. Soon paranoid slogans and brassy militarism creep into every stratum of Vault society; it is all meant to defend our fellow Americans from the Chinese Menace. The fragment of the computer that still follows protocol (not the caring part, incidentally) is forced to exploit the compromised humans itself to lobby for order. Thus begins decades of cold-blooded espionage and counter-espionage as each side vies for control without admitting to its own existence.

Eventually their secret plans collide, and the Vault is opened to waves of lethally radioactive dust. Only the modified individuals, stronger and more durable than ordinary humans, are spared. They build an idyllic Pre-War style city-state outside the Vault; it trades in technology and services that have been absent in the Wasteland for centuries.

No one knows about its mad governor or the secret to its implants, except the sole surviving remnant of its rival. Said remnant is a fiercely logical woman who must pretend to be human to someday destroy their enemy. Murder is always an option, but cruelty would be a liability. Shows of compassion can prove unexpectedly useful. Attempts to remember what has been lost are unwise.

EDIT: vault # changed

Bendigeidfran fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 23, 2015

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you might want to change that number: Vault 42

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
tl;dr I think a Manchurian Candidate/Paranoia-influenced version of Vault City would be a fun faction for the setting. And they probably won't be entirely villainous; I'm thinking it'd provide protection and services to any wastelander that doesn't pry too far, even mutants.

So how influential is Vault 41, in general? An army of overdressed neo-royalists would be pretty Fallout-y, but having it be a delusional little pocket would be fun in its own ways.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I really like Viva Miriya's caravan company idea, and I've sort of been running with that while I considered your question. Here's what I have on Vault 41 thus far:

-They run a successful caravan company, but it's the descendants of the support staff running it in the vault royalty's name.
-The "servants" have sort of embraced the royalty dynamic and their vault suits are tailored into vests and maid skirts. There's still a level of ironic self-awareness in there.
-The caravans themselves are well-guarded by descendants of the security staff who still maintain the vault's arsenal at nearly the level it started at. Their armor has gained little greebles over the years.
-The caravans mostly carry medical supplies back to the vault to deal with the problems associated with inbreeding, but there's a very lucrative sideline in selling extremely random items to them because the royalty has made some impossible request (like a trip to the seashore, so the caravans are paying a premium for water and seashells to try and simulate one).

There's a significant Dwarf Fortress influence in my thoughts here. And of course, if anyone has other ideas, go ahead and provide them.

As for the territory they cover, just off the top of my head I think it would be most interesting if no one faction covered more than a third of the map. And of course there's more than three factions, so there's overlap and conflict and mutual benefit.

e: So the vault itself is a delusional little pocket, but they have a wider public face that's mostly positive and only slightly odd.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Dec 24, 2015

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Do you have an idea of what the Supermutant (or Nightkin) situation is like? I was pondering a Supermutant or (less-insane) Nightkin but haven't come up with something yet, so I figured I'd check if you already had something planned.

Piell fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Dec 24, 2015

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Answered this in IRC, but for the rest of you, I have no plans for Super Mutants beyond "they exist." The issue of timeframe also came up, and I have given that no thought whatsoever.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Recruiting is officially open, go ahead and start posting characters.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I got FATE but not Atomic Robo, at least not this moment. Can I draft a character who can be translated fairly easily, or is it totally different?!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It's fairly different as far as the skill setup goes, but you can put together a pile of five aspects and work from there.

Instead of the skill pyramid, you have three skill modes, usually picked out of four categories: Action, Banter, Intrigue, and Science. The option to create your own mode such as Robot or Super Mutant exists, as well. These group your skills into their ratings. You have one mode at Good +3, one at Fair +2, and one at Average +1. Each of these modes also has an aspect related to it. Additionally, you have the character's concept aspect and the omega aspect, which can be anything you want that's not covered by the concept or one of the mode aspects.

It's more complex than that, but that's a decent overview of the whole thing, if you want to put together something, we can work more on that later.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Groovy, I'll see what I can scare up. My loose plan is to do up some kind of tribal.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Got an idea for a banished vault dweller scientist, or maybe a Nightkin

Piell fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 5, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Vera Pops, Plucky Reporter of the Wastes

Concept aspect: Girl Reporter of the Drivein Tribe
Banter aspect: And With These Ways, We Can!
Intrigue aspect: No Secret is Safe
Action aspect: With Spear and Varmint Rifle
Omega aspect: TBD

Modes: Banter (Good), Intrigue (Fair), Action (Average)

The Drivein (pronounced "Dry Vein") tribe's story begins with Vault 53. This Vault recorded the true and genuine history of the world in the form of informational and inspirational films, which are the correct and proper viewing perspective for life and history. Sure, in theory you could write it down in some kind of book or whatever, but those things are ridiculous. Anyone could write a book. But a movie, a film? That's real. That's authentic.

Vault 53's experimental concept was to isolate a population for sixty years with access to only concentrated Enclave propaganda and values-inducing media materials. The Vault was stocked with specially prepared books and manuals to allow for the reproduction of skills, but the War came before the full series of instructional materials could be recovered. The Overseer improvised with the film library of the General Drivein, below which the Vault was constructed, which contained a range of second-run pop culture material and other oddities.

After emerging from the '53 into the General, there was great dispute and much was lost when outsiders were first contacted. Vault furnishings and the primary power core were stripped for parts but when the history films were threatened, there was great shedding of blood.

It is obvious to the Editors and Projectors of the Drivein tribe that there are certain great fundamental roles which exist in the world and must be respected and honored. By adopting a role one becomes a speaker from the past, gaining power thereby. But it also comes with a sacred responsibility. About one in three Driveins take roles, the majority forming war bands such as the Greasers, the Delinquents, the G-Men and the Made Men.

Vera Pops assumed the role of the Girl Reporter as she was already a caravan scout, going with the trade routes away from the General who always sought the scraps and reels of the true history (along with the obvious necessities). After a raider attack she was convinced she couldn't survive another unless she took a role, and after consultation the Projectors introduced the Girl Reporter, which had sat abandoned for nineteen years beforehand.

will do greater maths and so on later

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
My original character proved a bit grim, hard to manage, and powerful for my tastes. So here's a genteel cowboy robot.

Will

Concept Aspect: Finest Cow-bot in The West
Sample Invoke: Being a wonder of Pre-War versatility can open a lot of doors.
Sample Compel: A floating metal globe is not what you'd call imposing.

Robo-Rancher Mode (+3): Smooth and Ready
(Combat, Provoke, Athletics, Notice, Will, Stealth, Physique)
Sample Invoke: Float serenely through the aftermath of nuclear apocalypse.
Sample Compel: Experience breeds caution. Excessive caution, at times.

Banter Mode (+2): Old-World Manners
(Contacts, Deceive, Empathy, Provoke, Rapport, Will)
Sample Invoke: Charm the unwashed masses of the Wasteland with etiquette.
Sample Compel: A gentleman must protect his honor from even the smallest slights.

Science Mode(+1): Tin Tinkerer
(Notice, Will, All Sciences)
Sample Invoke: Design new, inspired attachments for his three arms.
Sample Compel: Become a tempting target for someone else's experiments.

Omega Aspect: Looking For Mum
Sample Invoke: Powers himself through raw determination.
Sample Compel: Strange people keep whispering "The Queen of Spades" in his auditory deaf-spots. Why?

Will hails from the prosperous Brahmin herding territories in what was once Oklahoma's Osage Nation. Like many others, survivors there had adapted to their new conditions by emulating the hard-living past. In Will's case this was the late 1800s: grizzled prospectors, solitary cowboys, and seedy gunslingers are common sights. But they didn't stop at America's 1800s. Smoky brick tenements and posh Victorian accents have made their place alongside the ramshackle saloons of the area. Will, for his part, considers himself a gentleman cowpoke. He enjoys reprimanding chimney sweeps who've snuck into the whiskey, boiling tea on the scorching plains, and all the other madness that now constitutes American life.

Though originally designed as a butler, he's developed an eclectic panoply of other skills over his years as the Mi'dainga Company's 'handyman'. Grand Brahmin-running, rad scavving, fencing, gourmet cooking, name anything and he's probably tried his manipulator at it. A gentleman must have his hobbies after all. This usefulness of his tends to repair the damage caused by his stiff demeanor. The fact that he's a Mr. Handy has also not gone ignored; while people who know the robot afford him a degree of respect, to most of the Wasteland he's a floating box of caps. A bullet through the shoulder and a sword-cane through the gut is, regrettably, often the only argument that convinces the latter.

Something has nagged at him for as long as he can remember. First repaired by a mysterious woman he refers to only as "Mum", he feels an unshakable sense of debt to her. It's been decades, she's probably dead by now; he's processed the arguments tens of thousands of times. And he's had enough. One evening he just up and drifted towards the sunset, forward cameras blazing in the light.

Skills:
+5: Will
+4: Provoke, Notice
+3: Combat, Athletics, Stealth, Science (Applied Mechanics), Science (Animal Behavior), Physique
+2: Contacts, Deceive, Empathy, Rapport
+1: All Sciences

Stunts

"Hardware" Mega-Stunt (Two Benefits): Robco Industries Mr. Handy™ Type-I* :
Function: The Perfect Butler For Any American Home!
Flaw: Currently Self-Employed

-Stiff Upper Lip: Due to his robotic nature, Will is absolutely more resistant to environmental hazards than humans. Vulnerable to being knocked down.
-Powerjack-of-all-Trades: Using his space-age powers of Machine Learning, Will can pay a Fate Point to copy another character's stunt for a scene. This cannot be applied to Hardware Stunts.

Mysterious Stranger: On an Attack roll with all identical results on the Fate die, a Gauss Pistol rings out in the night. Place the scene aspect Who Was That Masked Woman? with two free invokes, each worth +3.

You Fight Like a One-Headed Cow!: Can use Provoke to inflict physical damage against any opponents who can understand him.

A Machine of Means: +2 to Contacts in any civilized area.

Physical Stress: OOO
Mental Stress: OOOO

Bendigeidfran fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 12, 2016

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
pre:
Matt Green
ASPECTS
Concept: Better Living Through Science
Ex-BoS: Rigged Jury (Compel to be harassed by people from Brotherhood of Steel)
Intrigue: Curiousity Killed the Matt (Compel to foolishly investigate interesting things)
Science: Jury Rigged (Invoke to repair/build things quickly, compel to have them break down)
Omega: My Trusty Pipboy (Invoke to use various Pipboy functions, invoke/compel to be taken as a vault dweller)

MODES
Good Ex-BoS +3 (Athletics, Burglary, Combat, Notice, Physique, Provoke, Rapport, Sciences-All, Will) [10]
Average Intrigue +2 (Athletics, Burglary, Contacts, Deceive, Notice, Stealth) [9]
Fair Science +1 (Notice, Will, Sciences-All) [3]
8 points left
Specialize Science (Robotics) [2]
Specialize Combat [3]
Specialize Deceive [3]

SKILLS (* indicates improvement from base)
		Good (+3) Ex-BoS						Average (+2) Intrigue		Fair (+1) Science
Specialized	Combat, Notice, Sciences (Robotics)				Deceive
Focused		Burglary, Athletics, Sciences (All), Will			
Trained		Physique, Provoke, Rapport					Contacts, Stealth

SKILL LIST
+5: Combat, Notice, Sciences (Robotics)
+4: Athletics, Burglary, Deceive, Sciences (All), Will	
+3: Physique, Provoke, Rapport
+2: Contacts, Stealth

STUNTS: 
Plasma Pistol - +1 to attack with Combat, Weapon:2
This Is Unix, I Know This! - +2 to Burglary when dealing with electronic locks and security systems 
Stealth Boy: Never take penalties to Stealth checks because of lighting/lack of cover, can use Stealth even in open areas with nowhere to hide
TBD
TBD
Concept: Former member of the Texas Brotherhood of Steel, became disillusioned with the hoarding of technology and pushed to change the policies, was framed and fled to Oklahoma to put his knowledge to use
Rough draft, will finish this up when I'm not dead from no sleep

Piell fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Feb 19, 2016

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Since I know a few people are still working on characters or bludgeoning their brainmeats trying to get a character to fall out (e: pun not intended), recruiting is extended to the 10th. I'll be making comments and asking questions about the ones you've already given me in a while.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Can I have more time please. If you give me till the 12th I should have time to come up with something solid backstory wise. Mechanics can be tweaked and peaked.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Good evening, gentleminds, you're listening to your very own voice on the wind, The Witness, bringing you news, views, and mus-ic! that those self-righteous fucks at Enclave Radio won't touch. Time to see what's happening out in our Plains Commonwealth.

News out of Drivein today, getting reports of a fresh-faced new reporter fitting a press pass in her cap. Now the news should not be the news, boys and ghouls, but this is the kind of development your faithful Witness likes, more eyes and ears bringing light to the darkness and truth to the masses. And let me say I'm always curious just what sort of organ of truth an investigator carries, but knowing the people of Drivein, there's only one choice, isn't there, dear? What sort of camera are you packing, and what's your plan B for darkness or stray bullet?

Hard luck for the Mi'Dainga caravan company, as I have a report here that their number one gentlebot has gone walkabout. Now, as someone surrounded by tech day-in day-out, The Witness knows a few things about it, gentleminds, and if your robot decides to wander off, they've got a mighty fine reason. But no matter what you're looking for, good bot sir, The Witness wonders: What will you do when you find it?

Regular listeners will know The Witness is filled with kindness towards my brother man, but I'd be more inclined towards certain brothers if they stopped trying to take down my repeaters. On that topic, sketchy reports, half-heard through static, say the Texas Commonwealth's Brotherhood of Steel is turning over rocks hunting an exile. An exiled Brother, brethren, sistren, and stranger besides. I hope I don't have to lay out the risk/reward for you as re: shooting or sheltering him. But I gotta know: How's he feel about the Brotherhood now?

And now, the weather.

e: Sure, the 12th it is.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Dareon posted:

Regular listeners will know The Witness is filled with kindness towards my brother man, but I'd be more inclined towards certain brothers if they stopped trying to take down my repeaters. On that topic, sketchy reports, half-heard through static, say the Texas Commonwealth's Brotherhood of Steel is turning over rocks hunting an exile. An exiled Brother, brethren, sistren, and stranger besides. I hope I don't have to lay out the risk/reward for you as re: shooting or sheltering him. But I gotta know: How's he feel about the Brotherhood now?

The Brotherhood of Steel is a clear example of organization decay. In it's early years, its purpose was the preservation of knowledge and technology in those dark times, in order to prepare for an eventual revival of civilizations. But over the years, that ideal turned into hoarding of that knowledge and technology, and led to attacking those who were in possession of any advanced technology as being "unworthy" of it. In this way, the Brotherhood has turned from a protector of civilization into just another scavenger picking over its remains and pulling down anyone who tries to advance.

Also, there's the whole "they'll kill me if they find out I'm spreading Brotherhood 'secrets' " thing.

Piell fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 9, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dareon posted:

News out of Drivein today, getting reports of a fresh-faced new reporter fitting a press pass in her cap. Now the news should not be the news, boys and ghouls, but this is the kind of development your faithful Witness likes, more eyes and ears bringing light to the darkness and truth to the masses. And let me say I'm always curious just what sort of organ of truth an investigator carries, but knowing the people of Drivein, there's only one choice, isn't there, dear? What sort of camera are you packing, and what's your plan B for darkness or stray bullet?

Why thank you for asking, Witness, and I'd really like to share that with the people of the plains. What you see here is a dual exposure RobFlex '52, which has an advanced shutter and diaphragm system that lets the hot rays of truth shine in and land in the dark upon the treated cellulose, burning in and making the mark that wisdom and art can coax out into a true reflection of the way things are. And all of it's just so simple! You center your shot in the viewfinder up here, and then you activate the little one, which guides the big one, just as the child and the dog leads the man and the lady on the path of wisdom.

Best of all, the RobFlex doesn't need complicated development facilities. With an isolated room or cavern space, lit in red, even a small child can develop perfect prints with just a little practice and some common chemicals. Now if you want to take a color picture, for that you'll have to work a little harder, but you know what they say - the truth is in black and white.

Now as for a plan B... this little sucker can work just fine in the dark, if it's not a total dark. Sure, in a Vault with a lighting failure it wouldn't be much good. But a little bit of moon, some bright stars? You'll just have to leave the exposure open and let the light make its way in, slow but steady. Of course, you have to hold it still with perfection and grace -- or rest it on something, I suppose -- but the truth isn't an easy path to walk.

As for bullets? It's guaranteed Commie-proof, and as we know, the Communist tribe had powerful guns, even if their diets of beets and socialism gave them simply awful eyesight.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

and something nearer to a sheet!

quote:

Concept aspect: Girl Reporter of the Drivein Tribe (Invoke to draw spiritual strength; compel to force assuming the role of a minor stereotypical film archetype!)
Banter aspect: The Words of Madison Ave (Invoke to speed-rap someone like an old commercial; compel to sound mendacious or over-optimistic)
Intrigue aspect: No Secret is Safe (Invoke to benefit muckraking and so on; compel to get too drat nosy for your own good)
Action aspect: Wasteland Scout (Invoke to benefit walking through the wilderness, compel to tweak bad feelings or superstitions)
Omega aspect: TBD

MODES
Banter +3 Contacts, Deceive, Empathy, Provoke, Rapport, Will
Intrigue +2 Athletics, Burglary, Contacts, Deceive, Notice, Stealth
Action +1 Athletics, Combat, Notice, Physique, Provoke, Vehicles

SKILLZ

+5 - none
+4 - Contacts (Focused, Banter), Deceive (Focused, Banter), Provoke (Focused, Banter), Rapport (Focused, Banter)
+3 - Empathy (Trained, Banter), Will (Trained, Banter), Athletics (Focused, Intrigue), Notice (Focused, Intrigue), Burglary (Focused, Intrigue)
+2 - Stealth (Trained, Intrigue), Combat (Focused, Action)
+1 - Physique (Trained, Action), Vehicles (Trained, Action)

E-Z NO-MATH VAULT-TEC SKILL IMPROVEMENT UPGRADE CHOICES: Focused Combat, Burglary, and Rapport.

STUNTS:

Varmint Rifle and Javelins - +1 to attack with Combat; Weapon:2 (ed. note: I'm figuring this as a set, but will gladly jiggle things if having both "small gun" and "throwable stabby thing" would be more flexible than it seemed)
RobFlex '52 - Uses the magic of "photography" to record images, allowing others to make Notice checks at +1 (or some similar benefit derived from high quality photography) after the fact. Requires development but also creates semi-permanent record. Color photography possible but requires special quest. (ed note: complex but it's got nuance to it, dammit! open to revisions, i am a nub, etc.)
Prickly Pear Tongue - +1 to create advantage with Provoke or Rapport when speaking as a member of the press.
TBD
TBD

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Everything is so slow in the wasteland. You've seen the roads, right? Blasted, broken things. Just big chunks of rock broken into slabs jutting out all over the place. You never get a chance to let loose. Aren't any horses around any more. The only things strong enough to thrive in the radstorms are the big tough slow ones like brahmin. But I tell you, I get to go fast. I get to scream by at a hundred miles an hour and see things nobody ever saw. You know what Houston looks like? With all the craters, it looks like like the face of the moon. I mean, almost exactly like it, only black and burnt.

See, I like birds. Ever since I was a kid I wanted to see some. But there aren't many left. Some weird sea birds by the coast and a few scavengers. Ugly little black things, them. But the more I read about them in dad's old books the more I wanted to fly with them. I got the idea when I was 8. Saw some big machine just float through the sky one day. It was open and I could see people in it. This was one of the old transport machines. They must have fixed it up and made it run. Hell, if they could do it, so could I! I started scavenging anything I could to trade for more books. When I was old enough I went into the old library and found more. Lots of trial and error, I'll tell you that much for free. More bartering for tools and more than a few trips to the doc for stitches. It wasn't until I was 19 that I could actually take him up and hope to come down safe again.

That first time was incredible. It's impossible to explain. It was something that was... me. I knew I had found what I was meant for. I must have used half the fusion core before I even set foot back on the ground. That brought me down. Cores cost. A lot. All the good scrap had gone into building Gordon in the first place. I think it was Dennis who told me about Dr Marcus' little problem. Well, little to him, but kind of a huge problem to the Broken Arrow tribe. See, Doc's wife was part of the tribe and she was pretty drat sick. She'd been living out our way for a while but had to return for obligations. I didn't ask. But she was real sick. Doc'd been keeping her going with his know-how so with her gone he couldn't help anymore. She needed to get her meds ASAP. Then it hit me. I can get there. And I can get there fast.

Turns out, that little job earned me a lot of respect. Wasn't long before everyone started asking me to bring something somewhere, or go bring something back. Can't do anything too big, but I can get some decent packages to where they need to be. Problem is, some people don't like that I won't work for them. You get a lot of gangers trying to run chems or some faction sending guns to another. Guns is no problem, it's who they're gonna be used on that makes me a little queasy. I politely decline, but sometimes they get a bit... offended by my refusal. More than once I've had to hop on Gordon and hightail it skyward before the bullets start flying. And then of course you've got people upset when a package didn't make it. Sorry, but I have my own troubles. Call it the cost of doing business, but sometimes things just go wrong. They can never accept it.

quote:

Gael Skyclad (she doesn't know it means "naked")

Concept aspect: Air (Fe)Mail (Invoke for good will from wastelanders, compel for ill will out of jealousy/greed/etc)
Action aspect: Ride of the Valkyrie (Invoke for flight- or sky-related stuff, compel for vehicle-related difficulties)
Banter aspect: Cores and Caps (invoke to get leads on fuel sources or paying jobs, compel for trouble finding either)
Intrigue aspect: Any Port in a Storm (invoke for safe havens to land/hide out, compel for old obligations at a location to catch up to her)
Omega aspect: Lure of the Expanse (invoke for knowledge about distant lands, compel for wanderlust/get distracted)

MODES
Action +3 Athletics, Combat, Notice, Physique, Provoke, Vehicles
Banter +2 Contacts, Deceive, Empathy, Provoke, Rapport, Will
Intrigue +1 Athletics, Burglary, Contacts, Deceive, Notice, Stealth

SKILLS

+5 - Vehicles
+4 - Athletics, Notice, Provoke
+3 - Combat, Contacts, Deceive, Physique, Will
+2 - Empathy, Rapport
+1 - Burglary, Stealth

E-Z NO-MATH VAULT-TEC SKILL IMPROVEMENT UPGRADE CHOICES: Focused Vehicles, Specialized Vehicles, Focused Will

STUNTS:

- Gordon - Fusion-powered gyrocopter
- Function: Up in the Air - One-person ("two if we ditch the seats!") personal flying machine.
- Flaw: Wing and a Prayer - As a homemade device, prone to developing... quirks. Usually at high speed and altitude.
- Nobody Ever Looks Up - +2 Stealth when flying
- DAKKADAKKADAKKA!!! - +1 ranged damage, full auto
- This One Goes There, That One Goes There! - +1 to Vehicles for emergency maintenance.

Never did this before, so I'm hoping I got it right.

Vicissitude fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 17, 2016

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Outsourced the mechanics to a friend. Here's the story.

Johnny Granite, Enclave survivor
After the destruction of the Enclave Oil Rig by the tribal known as the Chosen One around 2242 most Enclave survivors went east, ending up in DC. A good number stayed in at the Navarro outpost and were crushed by the Brotherhood and the NCR. The story of what happened to one particular squad of soldiers remains unknown. ECC (Enclave Control Company) it is said survived the destruction of the Poseidon Oil Rig. The stories of what happened to one Sgt. Granite & Co tend to be far fetched and wild. They say that they booked it on the tanker when some tribal blew up the Oil Rig and that they were last seen headed for Navarro. After that the stories get kinda sketchy and wild. Some said they hooked up with the Van Graffs out in Redding living a life of luxury and comfort in exchange for their skills. Others say they got pardoned by President Tandi and the Chosen One put in a good word to boot. They supposedly got made into some special team of NCR Rangers above even those guys in that black armor. Some also say they went in search of the mythical Vault 69 and haven't been heard of since.

That last one has some truth to it. Tell some Enclave grunts that their old life is over, that they need to flee before the NCR and Brotherhood catch up to their asses, and that there MIGHT be a Vault filled with only women!?! That's as good a direction to start running as any. Of course they never found it and the ole squad ended settling down in Omaha, Nebraska. Can't fight raiders, Super Mutants, and the various creatures of the wasteland forever. Can't keep running forever. They figured the coast was clear when they got to Omaha and no one had heard of any Brotherhood of Steel or Enclave. So they settled down, stashed their armor in an abandoned bunker and joined the rest of the people in the whole surviving thing. They lived good for a time, and then death came calling.. One bought it in a bar fight, arguing about what really made a good sandwich and getting stabbed in the gut for opinions. Another got bored of the quiet life and donned his Power Armor again and went searching for Vaults to plunder for tech. And yet another was killed defending a settlement from raiders. As for their Sgt, he had kids with a local gal and died at the ripe old age of 75 on his porch to a Brotherhood Knight's Laser Rifle.

45 Years is a long time, long enough to get complacent and let slip where you really came from. Little Johnny came home to find the family farm burning, mom dad and sister and some guy in a orange jumpsuit dead. And word in town had it those guys in power armour were looking for whoever they missed at the farm. Aided by friends of the family, he was hidden until the Brotherhood recon team moved on and then he went to that ole cave. He retrieved dad's old armor, took the Assault Rifle off the dead Brotherhood soldier and went south, drifting around as a mercenary for hire.Never staying in one place too long, just long enough to make some caps and otherwise living off the land as he kept moving.

Eventually he touched down in Oklahoma, shooting it out with a local group of Prospectors as he searched some old military camp for spare parts to keep his dad's suit running. As he looted the bodies and pocketed the spent brass, he was surprised by how well equipped some of these scavvers were. Johnny might have to stick around for a little bit and get in on this action before he rolls out.

pre:
Aspects:
-Enclave survivor
-"Sir?! I'm an NCO, I work for a living!"
-Drifter and Survivor
-Armored Terror
-Things break, people die

Skills:

+5 combat**
+4 provoke* Vehicles* notice* Physique* Rapport**
+3 athletics 
+2 contacts Deceive Empathy
+1 will

*Focused
**Specialized

Action 9
athletics combat notice physique provoke vehicles

Banter 9
contacts deceive empathy provoke rapport

Survivor (Weird) 7
Vehicles Will Notice Combat Physique

2 pts combat specialized
1 pts rapport focused 
------
Stress:

Physical oooo
Will ooo
------
Stunts: (2 FP to GM)

Mega Equipment Stunt (5 effects)
function: The Granite Family X-01 Advanced Power Armor Mk. II 
flaw: held together with spit and grit
-  +2 to overcome with Physique
-  +4 armor
-  Absolutely bulletproof, at a cost
-  Absolutely radiation/chemical proof, at a cost

Equipment Stunt
-  Assault rifle, +1 Combat (SUPPRESSING FIRE!!!!!!!)

-  Combat Engineer: Combat may substitute for Science: Mechanical Engineering for armoring and field engineering

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 17, 2016

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

They say a name means nothing on the battlefield. Could be why I go through so drat many of 'em.

Parents figured me for Iroquois, of the Adder tribe. Legion didn't care much for that when they rolled through New Mexico and annexed the Adders, so it became just "slave" for awhile, till I proved I was too smart and too quick to die in the gladiator pits. Then it was Frumentarius Anguis, faithful scout and spy for Lanius Caesar. For the Legion, I did terrible things. Their mistake was thinking they owned me, that those skills they taught me would never be used to betray them, head East and never look back.

Twenty-five years I've been gone, and fifteen since I've had to deal with Caesar's finest assassins. I'm sixty years old now and it won't be long before old age does what Caesar's finest couldn't. Call me John Russell Angus. You need a man to do something terrible for you, maybe I'll oblige. Sell me a story about how you're doing it for the right reasons, I'll give you a discount.

pre:
John Angus
Physical Stress [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Mental Stress [ ] [ ] [ ]
Concept: "Retired" Frumentarius
Omega: Too Old For This poo poo
Veteran Spy (Intrigue) 3: Athletics +4, Burglary +3, Contacts +3, Deceive +4, Notice +4, Stealth +3
Old Soldier (Action) 2: Athletics +2, Combat +2, Notice +2, Physique +2, Provoke +3, Vehicles, +2
Informant (Banter) 1: Contacts +1, Deceive +1, Empathy +1, Provoke +1, Rapport +1, Will, +1

Silenced 10mm Operator Pistol: Weapon: 2. Attack with Stealth instead of Combat when target is unaware.
Called Shot: +2 to create advantages with Combat using a firearm
Been There, Done That: 1/session, spend 1FP to establish experience/knowledge related to the current situation

never used Atomic Robo before, let me know if anything seems off

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 11, 2016

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Dareon posted:

Hard luck for the Mi'Dainga caravan company, as I have a report here that their number one gentlebot has gone walkabout. Now, as someone surrounded by tech day-in day-out, The Witness knows a few things about it, gentleminds, and if your robot decides to wander off, they've got a mighty fine reason. But no matter what you're looking for, good bot sir, The Witness wonders: What will you do when you find it?

"I'd act with no less than what propriety demands! First, I'll tilt myself respectfully and remove my hat-no, no, frankly I'm not sure she's the kind of gentlewoman who'd appreciate that. Evidence suggests otherwise. Image four in memory clearly shows mum's had her fair share of battles in the sun. So forget I said it."

"Perhaps a 'howdy' would suffice. 'I'm just a simple cowpoke. Makin' my own way in the world, and proud of it. I'll keep it quick: I wouldn't be here without you. And I'm mighty grateful for that." Then, well then I suppose I'd float out into the grassy plains, mum on her three-dog sledge beside me. Charming idea, no? We'd share daring stories and drift wherever the world took us. Maybe she'll tell me why she reactivated a rusted Mr. Handy so many years ago. Maybe she won't. Regardless, it would be...nice, wouldn't it. All the worries of being an orphan, bursting into so much dust on the wind. The mere chance of it. It's all a robot, all a gentleman like me needs to keep going."

"Oh, look at me. I must apologize for being so out of sorts."

Bendigeidfran fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 16, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Bouncin' this up. How are we doing this, boss? (And for that matter who made the character cut)

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

I'm still interested. I never got a question, though I still need to do a basic background :s

And find out if I screwed anything up.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I had that psychological thing going where you miss doing something by honest distraction, then anxiety and laziness feed on each other and you keep putting it off and making excuses. I had that going for three separate obligations, and I'm just biting the bullet and hammering out one after another.

That being said.

I see almost nothing mechanically wrong with anyone's sheets, just a few bookkeeping things. Viva Miriya, your assault rifle is listed as +1 Attack, +2 Attack. That should probably be +1 Combat in a specific situation (I want to say more specific than "when shooting", but that's honestly about the same as the equivalent example stunt, Brass Knuckles), Weapon:2. Captain Walker, just remove the duplicate skills from your lower-ranked modes and you're good. You might want to jot them down in pyramid form to make it easier to track what has which value. Vicissitude, gimme some backstory, at least some kind of specific hook on those old obligations or jealousies.

Now, questions. I'm not gonna do the Witness thing this time, just for time's sake. If you're a fan, though, never fear, they'll be the voice of the Plains Commonwealth for the foreseeable future.

Gael Skyclad, you're not the only thing up there. Had any serious run-ins with vertibirds? UFOs? High-altitude Eyebots? Or, unlikely as it may be... actual birds?

Johnny Granite, the scavving's been good to you, and your armor is significantly less duct tape by weight than it was before. What part of your armor is working better than it has in years?

John Angus, you've seen a lot of terrible things. I'd bet half of those were within arm's reach. But what's the most beautiful thing you've seen?

Also, everyone's in. Honestly I could narrow it down because I'm iffy on the gyrocopter and power armor, but I've got no coherent objection beyond "hard to plan around", so they'll be good challenges.

Now, everyone's in, but we're not done yet. We still have to work out our Tesladyne analogue. Whoever they are, they will be who you ostensibly do things in support of, and where you hang your hat when you have some downtime. Maybe y'all only come back to drain the local cap economy and stuff uniques in your locker, but it's still a support network of a sort. Mechanically, it starts at Average (+1) Resources and has one focused skill. We'll need to work out:
-Who they are. Brotherhood of Steel (unlikely), caravan company, farming community, bandit gang living in an empty Vault (not recommended), etc.
-Their Mission Statement aspect.
-Two pressures. I have one already, based on the first adventure I have lined up: Mysterious Disappearances.
-And which of their Resources skills (Armory, R&D, Intel, or Transport) is focused.

I do have a default setting for if y'all can't or don't want to decide: A small settlement focused on excavating a large motel complex. Novac without the dinosaur, essentially. Plenty of housing, just grab a shovel until you find a door.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 17, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

It's cool dude, I hope you have fun running!

I will come up with a more cogent suggestion when I get to my books. BUT: I'm imagining setting something near the ruins of a homage to Oral Roberts University, partly because they have a thirty ton statue of Praying Hands which would be a great counterpoint to the post-nuclear wasteland, and also because it will be funny to scientifically excavate this half-destroyed cult compound.

e: Research reveals that ORU was designed with weirdly futuristic architecture to begin with, for some reason.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
ORU seems like an awesome place to put our HQ. Maybe the settlers there can be like archaeologists instead of just prospectors? People trying to assemble a history of America from collections of Pre-War junk, comic books, and terminal records. Most of their ideas are ridiculous bunk, but enough re-assembled robots and high-tech explosives have ended up in their hands that no one likes bothering them.

Motto: It Belongs In A Museum!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I'm thinking we (aptly) flanderize it somewhat so it's not literally Oral Roberts, but the same idea of "crazed evangelist founds a weird college in order to further his zany and idiosyncratic goals" seems decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Adjusted my poo poo, didn't even look at the book just made up a quick thing. Somehow SUPPRESSING FIRE! seems like a valid enough stunt to include. I kinda want a more "effective" combat weapon stunt wise but honestly not even super worried about the details I just wanna get to roleplaying. Really excited for this.

So about Johnny's armor. Well he managed to cannabalize a rare T-60 suit from the camp armory and the leg servos in particular are working better than ever now. It even looked like it might be possible to do a complete overhaul on the plating but some raiders came roaming and he had to roll out early. Didn't have time to cut and weld on new pieces so the powercabling on the back is still exposed. Gonna have to do something on that but for now the duct tape is holding.

As for the rest. Uhh I don't really know? Let me think on it.

• Locked thread