Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Dareon posted:

Gael Skyclad, you're not the only thing up there. Had any serious run-ins with vertibirds? UFOs? High-altitude Eyebots? Or, unlikely as it may be... actual birds?

Never seen another vertibird since I was a kid. I guess we keep missing each other. The sky's a big place, after all. I've seen UFOs, but I'm guessing it's more likely unidentified falling object. Probably an old satellite finally giving up the ghost. Eyebots are a problem. If they go loopy they can just start wandering around, and sometimes they keep the same altitude while they do. Can be a real surprise to find one broadcasting information from Denver out here in the Dust. Need to pull evasive maneuvers quick. Gordon's held together by spit and bubblegum sometimes. I'd never survive.

As for birds, there are some out west. I've seen them circling to gain altitude but always waaaaay out in the distance. Never been that far out yet. Want to, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
ORU was founded in 1963, according to Google. In Fallout's universe, anything that happened post WW2 is fair game for divergence, and need not bear any resemblance to reality.

I suspect that if Angus ever saw true beauty, it'd be fairly recent, after leaving the Legion. The other direction I could go is that the destruction of said beauty was the catalyst that made him leave, but that depends on how grimdark you want to go. I suspect not very, it's Fallout.

e: what year is it? There's absolutely a story hook in whether or not the Legion lasted after the death of the original Caesar.

pre:
John Angus
Physical Stress [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Mental Stress [ ] [ ] [ ]
Concept: "Retired" Frumentarius
Omega: Too Old For This poo poo
Intrigue 3: Veteran Spy
Action +2: Old Soldier
Banter +1: Informant

Athletics +4, Deceive +4, Notice +4
Burglary +3, Contacts +3, Provoke +3, Stealth +3
Combat +2, Physique +2, Vehicles +2
Deceive +1, Empathy +1, Rapport +1, Will +1

Silenced 10mm Operator Pistol: Weapon: 2. Attack with Stealth instead of Combat when target is unaware.
Called Shot: +2 to create advantages with Combat using a firearm.
Been There, Done That: 1/session, spend 1FP to establish experience/knowledge related to the current situation.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 17, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Having read the rules, I come bearing an actual suggestion outline, which is that this not-ORU excavation project is being backed by the Drivein after they discovered intact-ish screens. The General might be getting too crowded. (Alternately, they found a place capable of PRODUCING movie screens in the machine shop at ORU. Lens production, maybe.)

Mission statement is to excavate, catalogue, and move into this glorious place. Surely nobody else will have a problem with it.

For complications, I was thinking that maybe the campus is sprawling and was actually on the edge of a big crater that hit Tulsa, which creates the hazards of chaotic terrain and radiation in the area. Not just the immediate places that have been cleaned up of course.

As for which resource to focus, I have no clue, but I do notice that we have several people with advanced gear, so there might be a kind of symbiosis as an independent site capable of repairing autogyros and even power armors, a little. This could be Armory or Transport, depending on how you slice it. This also probably puts us on the Brotherhood's radar, but those guys are kind of dicks anyway.

This might not be quite dingy and desperate enough to strike that Fallout Mood, of course, but it's somewhere to brainstorm.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Maybe the complication could be They Came From The Crater, with rad-scorpions and other beasties that the Drivein people "recognize" from their films?

And Armory should be a fun main resource. Fallout's got no shortage of weird super-weapons to play around with, and one of the party already has a Vertibird.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kicking this up some - we still live? Anyone else got input?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Nessus posted:

Kicking this up some - we still live? Anyone else got input?

I don't really give two shits I just wanna roleplay fallout mans. You guys can figure out the rest if you are more experienced with the system. I'll support whatever the majority decides.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I don't know if any of us are sufficiently experienced! I'm just hoping Dareon didn't perish under deadmau5 law

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Real life kicked me in the nuts repeatedly the last few weeks, and I haven't had the bandwidth to think about Fallout until now.

I'm liking the ORU idea, since I am bad at satire it will probably just be The University. I'll look over ORU and stuff and do a write-up about what's gone on before the present day. Some of it will be secrets. :ssh:

I need everyone who's still on board to post. Repost your character sheets, and tell me how your character got involved with the University.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
I'm still in.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I remain in.

Vera uses the University as a hub for roving around and reporting. Her tribe's importance to the location in the final draft influences that a lot.

As for the ORU-ness, it probably does work better if it was "idiosyncratic university" vs. "literally ORU", more room for excavatable Weird poo poo.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I'm in it for the SCIENCE, excavating the past to improve the future.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Yo, I'm still in.

Will is looking for some civilized reading material. You know, Dickens, Shakespeare, Zane Grey.

Bendigeidfran fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 5, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

http://www.drunkard.com/welcome-to-boozetown/ This might be another useful location to keep in mind.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Vera Pops: The Sheetening

quote:

Concept aspect: Girl Reporter of the Drivein Tribe (Invoke to draw spiritual strength; compel to force assuming the role of a minor stereotypical film archetype!)
Banter aspect: The Words of Madison Ave (Invoke to speed-rap someone like an old commercial; compel to sound mendacious or over-optimistic)
Intrigue aspect: No Secret is Safe (Invoke to benefit muckraking and so on; compel to get too drat nosy for your own good)
Action aspect: Wasteland Scout (Invoke to benefit walking through the wilderness, compel to tweak bad feelings or superstitions)
Omega aspect: TBD

MODES
Banter +3 Contacts, Deceive, Empathy, Provoke, Rapport, Will
Intrigue +2 Athletics, Burglary, Contacts, Deceive, Notice, Stealth
Action +1 Athletics, Combat, Notice, Physique, Provoke, Vehicles

SKILLZ

+5 - none
+4 - Contacts (Focused, Banter), Deceive (Focused, Banter), Provoke (Focused, Banter), Rapport (Focused, Banter)
+3 - Empathy (Trained, Banter), Will (Trained, Banter), Athletics (Focused, Intrigue), Notice (Focused, Intrigue), Burglary (Focused, Intrigue)
+2 - Stealth (Trained, Intrigue), Combat (Focused, Action)
+1 - Physique (Trained, Action), Vehicles (Trained, Action)

E-Z NO-MATH VAULT-TEC SKILL IMPROVEMENT UPGRADE CHOICES: Focused Combat, Burglary, and Rapport.

STUNTS:

Varmint Rifle and Javelins - +1 to attack with Combat; Weapon:2 (ed. note: I'm figuring this as a set, but will gladly jiggle things if having both "small gun" and "throwable stabby thing" would be more flexible than it seemed)
RobFlex '52 - Uses the magic of "photography" to record images, allowing others to make Notice checks at +1 (or some similar benefit derived from high quality photography) after the fact. Requires development but also creates semi-permanent record. Color photography possible but requires special quest. (ed note: complex but it's got nuance to it, dammit! open to revisions, i am a nub, etc.)
Prickly Pear Tongue - +1 to create advantage with Provoke or Rapport when speaking as a member of the press.
TBD
TBD

I think that's everything - I lost access to my copy of the book temporarily but other than calculating my Stress boxes and maybe refining my stunts I think I'm good!!

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Outsourced the mechanics to a friend. Here's the story.

Johnny Granite, Enclave survivor
After the destruction of the Enclave Oil Rig by the tribal known as the Chosen One around 2242 most Enclave survivors went east, ending up in DC. A good number stayed in at the Navarro outpost and were crushed by the Brotherhood and the NCR. The story of what happened to one particular squad of soldiers remains unknown. ECC (Enclave Control Company) it is said survived the destruction of the Poseidon Oil Rig. The stories of what happened to one Sgt. Granite & Co tend to be far fetched and wild. They say that they booked it on the tanker when some tribal blew up the Oil Rig and that they were last seen headed for Navarro. After that the stories get kinda sketchy and wild. Some said they hooked up with the Van Graffs out in Redding living a life of luxury and comfort in exchange for their skills. Others say they got pardoned by President Tandi and the Chosen One put in a good word to boot. They supposedly got made into some special team of NCR Rangers above even those guys in that black armor. Some also say they went in search of the mythical Vault 69 and haven't been heard of since.

That last one has some truth to it. Tell some Enclave grunts that their old life is over, that they need to flee before the NCR and Brotherhood catch up to their asses, and that there MIGHT be a Vault filled with only women!?! That's as good a direction to start running as any. Of course they never found it and the ole squad ended settling down in Omaha, Nebraska. Can't fight raiders, Super Mutants, and the various creatures of the wasteland forever. Can't keep running forever. They figured the coast was clear when they got to Omaha and no one had heard of any Brotherhood of Steel or Enclave. So they settled down, stashed their armor in an abandoned bunker and joined the rest of the people in the whole surviving thing. They lived good for a time, and then death came calling.. One bought it in a bar fight, arguing about what really made a good sandwich and getting stabbed in the gut for opinions. Another got bored of the quiet life and donned his Power Armor again and went searching for Vaults to plunder for tech. And yet another was killed defending a settlement from raiders. As for their Sgt, he had kids with a local gal and died at the ripe old age of 75 on his porch to a Brotherhood Knight's Laser Rifle.

45 Years is a long time, long enough to get complacent and let slip where you really came from. Little Johnny came home to find the family farm burning, mom dad and sister and some guy in a orange jumpsuit dead. And word in town had it those guys in power armour were looking for whoever they missed at the farm. Aided by friends of the family, he was hidden until the Brotherhood recon team moved on and then he went to that ole cave. He retrieved dad's old armor, took the Assault Rifle off the dead Brotherhood soldier and went south, drifting around as a mercenary for hire.Never staying in one place too long, just long enough to make some caps and otherwise living off the land as he kept moving.

Eventually he touched down in Oklahoma, shooting it out with a local group of Prospectors as he searched some old military camp for spare parts to keep his dad's suit running. As he looted the bodies and pocketed the spent brass, he was surprised by how well equipped some of these scavvers were. Johnny might have to stick around for a little bit and get in on this action before he rolls out.

pre:
Aspects:
-Enclave survivor
-"Sir?! I'm an NCO, I work for a living!"
-Drifter and Survivor
-Armored Terror
-Things break, people die

Skills:

+5 combat**
+4 provoke* Vehicles* notice* Physique* Rapport**
+3 athletics 
+2 contacts Deceive Empathy
+1 will

*Focused
**Specialized

Action 9
athletics combat notice physique provoke vehicles

Banter 9
contacts deceive empathy provoke rapport

Survivor (Weird) 7
Vehicles Will Notice Combat Physique

2 pts combat specialized
1 pts rapport focused 
------
Stress:

Physical oooo
Will ooo
------
Stunts:

Mega Equipment Stunt (3 effects)
function: The Granite Family X-01 Advanced Power Armor Mk. II 
flaw: held together with spit and grit
-  +2 to overcome with Physique
-  +2 armor
-  Radiation/chemical proof, at a cost

Equipment Stunt
-  Assault rifle, +1 to Combat to attack when firing weapon

-  Combat Engineer: Combat may substitute for Science: Mechanical Engineering for armoring and field engineering

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 16, 2016

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Your power armor and assault rifle still need to be adjusted, because there's nothing I can throw at you that would threaten you without splattering the rest of the team, and the assault rifle is just wrong.

Either remove the armor rating completely, or reduce it by 2 and lose Bulletproof. Just as a bookkeeping note, that drops the number of effects on it to 3 and removes the 2 FP to GM line. Also you can delete the words "absolutely" from bulletproof and rad/chemical-proof.

Make the assault rifle "+1 to Combat to attack when firing, Weapon:2." Expect me to tell you there are things too close or too small and fast to shoot.

Also, here's what I have on the University so far. Feel free to make objections or suggestions, but we should get going within the week. Thanks for sticking with me while I work out a system that's new to me and suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.

The University

Mission Statement: It Belongs in a Museum!

Resources: +1
Armory +2
R&D, Intel, Transport

Pressures: Mysterious Disappearances, They Came From the Crater

What People Know Now:
There's an atomic reactor somewhere beneath the University, providing power to some parts of the complex.
There are maintenance tunnels honeycombed through the area, most clogged by rubble or dust.
The domed auditorium has seams, hinges, and hydraulics for opening like a flower. An unidentified machine occupies most of the center, fixed to the floor with power cables leading down into the floor. When the auditorium was opened by initial explorers, upwards of a thousand skeletons were arrayed around the machine. Some in lab coats, some in suits, most in jumpsuits.
The tower in the middle of campus fell presumably when the bombs dropped, and is now almost entirely covered in 200 years of packed dust, except for a portion of the disc-shaped "observation platform" that still pokes above ground. Something is still active in the currently inaccessible central shaft of the tower, and can be heard rattling from one end to the other at seemingly random times. Spending the night in the tower is something every child in the community has done at least once on dares from friends.

Mysteries:
A few of the buildings remain unopened because there are no windows and excavations haven't found the door yet.
There's no real information on why the university was founded. A half-destroyed plaque at the Open Hand Monument says "...to seek their aid."

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

fixed

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

ACCIDENTAL DOUBLE POST

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 16, 2016

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

quote:

Will

Concept Aspect: Finest Cow-bot in The West
Sample Invoke: Being a wonder of Pre-War versatility can open a lot of doors.
Sample Compel: A floating metal globe is not what you'd call imposing.

Robo-Rancher Mode (+3): Smooth and Ready
(Combat, Provoke, Athletics, Notice, Will, Stealth, Physique)
Sample Invoke: Float serenely through the aftermath of nuclear apocalypse.
Sample Compel: Experience breeds caution. Excessive caution, at times.

Banter Mode (+2): Old-World Manners
(Contacts, Deceive, Empathy, Provoke, Rapport, Will)
Sample Invoke: Charm the unwashed masses of the Wasteland with etiquette.
Sample Compel: A gentleman must protect his honor from even the smallest slights.

Science Mode(+1): Tin Tinkerer
(Notice, Will, All Sciences)
Sample Invoke: Design new, inspired attachments for his three arms.
Sample Compel: Become a tempting target for someone else's experiments.

Omega Aspect: Looking For Mum
Sample Invoke: Powers himself through raw determination.
Sample Compel: Strange people keep whispering "The Queen of Spades" in his auditory deaf-spots. Why?

Skills:
+5: Will
+4: Provoke, Notice
+3: Combat, Athletics, Stealth, Science (Applied Mechanics), Science (Animal Behavior), Physique
+2: Contacts, Deceive, Empathy, Rapport
+1: All Sciences

Stunts

"Hardware" Mega-Stunt (Two Benefits): Robco Industries Mr. Handy™ Type-I* :
Function: The Perfect Butler For Any American Home!
Flaw: Currently Self-Employed

-Stiff Upper Lip: Due to his robotic nature, Will is absolutely more resistant to environmental hazards than humans. Vulnerable to being knocked down.
-Powerjack-of-all-Trades: Using his space-age powers of Machine Learning, Will can pay a Fate Point to copy another character's stunt for a scene. This cannot be applied to Hardware Stunts.

Mysterious Stranger: On an Attack roll with all identical results on the Fate die, a Gauss Pistol rings out in the night. Place the scene aspect Who Was That Masked Woman? with two free invokes, each worth +3.

You Fight Like a One-Headed Cow!: Can use Provoke to inflict physical damage against any opponents who can understand him.

A Machine of Means: +2 to Contacts in any civilized area.

Physical Stress: OOO
Mental Stress: OOOO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Game is up! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764981

• Locked thread