Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

How come sardines are 2 for 1$ at seafood city but like super expensive at the white people supermarkets and they aren't even as good?

Because white people supermarkets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

So back on topic, is mustard a good addition for avacado 'dines?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Male Tears posted:

Boyfriend won't eat dines, says he doesn't like the scales or bones. :mad:

I'm in the same boat. Look on the bright side, at least you don't have to share your 'dines. Dumbest thing I ever did was teach the bf to like oysters, now I have to share them. Not making that mistake again.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I'm pretty excited about this sardine, mango pickle, rye triscuits idea I have worked out for tomorrow.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I got stoned and ate all my crackers and now I have nothing to eat my dines with. Dammit, those were bought with the sole purpose of dining.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

No because once I think about getting cabbages and stuff I start thinking I want to make kimchi again and then go back to the previous post.

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/easy-kimchi maangchi will save you

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Curses, I'll get you next time sheepgoats. :argh:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

final2percent posted:

great dinner thanks for the tip, sardine thread

gently caress i should've thrown an egg in it

Digging that apron son

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Saveur has a gallery of sardine recipes up, and for once at least half of them work with tinned fishies. Gonna go to the store and get the stuff for this tonight I hope. http://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/charmoula-stuffed-sardines

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

naem posted:

I’ve mentioned these kippers were good but I accidentally bought “boneless filets in water”

these fish were prob once like 6-10” does that count as a dine??

this was obviously a high quality meat product that might go well in a recipe but the flavor and texture were super bland without the smokey kipper flavor 2/5 stars

I like that out of every possible thing you could set those cans on you picked Franzia.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Back to leftover pasta chat, if its an oil or tomato based sauce you can put the leftover pasta in a skillet with a bit of oil and crisp it up. The noodles will absorb the sauce and get all crispy and delicious. Some people find it a bit dry, but if you like the crispy part of lasagna it will be extremely your jam. My crazy Italian boss taught me to do that, apparently that's what you do with leftover pasta in sicily and you have it for breakfast.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

MetaJew posted:

I got laid off and will be starting a new job soon. You have inspired me to put a dine sticker on my next work laptop.

Also, I bought some weird dines in miso paste along with some sort of eel in fermented black bean sauce at the local Chinese grocery market to prep for eating more canned fishies. Any suggestions on how to serve/eat them?

I just ate the eel out of the can with a fork. It was delicious, like BBQ eel you get at a Japanese restaurant but a bit drier. That might have just been the fault of the brand I got though.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Nice little sardine celery salad write up in NYT today, author has correct opinions on things like red pepper flakes and how good sardines on toast are.

https://www.nytimes.com./2020/03/31/dining/celery-salad-coronavirus.html

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Yeah its pretty much just european fish sauce, which is great because fish sauce of some kind goes well in almost everything. They're practically interchangeable.

edit: I can't wait for the avacados to ripen. I have sardine toast plans and they're holding up the whole goddamn show.

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 26, 2020

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Was not expecting quaran-horny in the sardine thread

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Lazy lady dinner tonight, sardine toast. King Oscar Mediterraneans, mixed with green onion, cilantro, red wine vin, and absolutely excessive amounts of pepper. Might go back for the second tin here in a min, two toasts in and I'm still starving.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I've had a large mason jar of water since I got home an hour or so ago, but I've moved onto red wine now because I am a posterchild for an eventual gout diagnosis.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Won myself some KO swag, I know a few people here have done the same in the past, how long does it generally take to arrive?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Keith Atherton posted:

I won first place in a haiku contest and after they told me I won it showed up like a week later

Dig the shirt! I'm getting an apron, and I really hope its here in time for thanksgiving.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

My King Oscar goodies arrived today (apron and a tin of the tiny tots). I decided to share the bounty with the household, which involved my husband having his first dine (he likes them more than he thought he would) and me giving the cats a small plate with a single fish and a touch of oil. The cats want nothing to do with sardines. Are they broken? Should I take them to the vet?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

One won't eat anything other than dry food. Cats are weird.

That was my first cat. My mom insisted on buying the extra fancy wet food for him and mixed his dry food with it in an attempt to get him to eat it. He'd just pick out the dry food and the whole thing culminated with her yelling at him in the kitchen "What the gently caress cat, this is the cat food I would eat if I was homeless why do you think you're too good for this"

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

It's a jump for sure. You may hate it, I'm not a fan at all and I will eat any ocean creature you hand me.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

Put the anchovy on the sardine.

:psypop:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Tnuctip posted:

I haven’t fully caught up with the dine thread, but if it hasn’t been posted let me share with y’all the new (to me at least, still grumpy I can’t find KO Spanish).

KO sardines in white wine vinegar and capers.

They are as good as you’d imagine, not very fishy at all, and nice cut from the vinegar. The style label is blue.

I see you're ready to graduate to pickled herring.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

BigDave posted:

I had sardines and cream cheese on toast, it was OK...but kinda bland. Any recommendations for improving it?

Quick pickled onions. At their most basic you can just thinly slice an onion and submerge it in vinegar for a few hours, or you can make a proper brine which is honestly about as easy.
https://cookieandkate.com/quick-pickled-onions-recipe/

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

You can pickle that. You can go full dad and pickle some eggs (delicious). Food52 has a completely insane repository of quick pickle recipes with everything from cucumbers to kale and some really weird poo poo in between I would never have thought to soak in brine.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Is there a good method for making not a huge amount of kimchi?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

If you've got a good recipe to share I've got a fridge brimming with gochujang

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Goddamn I love this funky fermented future we live in

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Someone in GWS recommended this recipe and I think this thread would get a kick out of it. Its not sardines, but I feel that frozen fish sticks are dadly enough that we can let it slide. Essentially you bake the fish sticks up extra crispy, then they get tossed with sautéed onions, chilis, garlic, ginger, a bit of sautéed greens, and pickled onions (the onion method in the recipe is not great, I recommend looking up a different one but it works).

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/fish-finger-bhorta

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Looks like garlic and a lot of it.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I should eat some pickled herring on triscuits right now.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Jet Jaguar posted:

This is one of the things I miss most about IKEA. Whole cooler full of pickled herring in any sauce you wanted.

Don't they just have it at your grocery store? I'm in the midwest, but anywhere I've been always has at least a small selection.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Rye bread and if crackers are a separate category (they are) black pepper triscuits.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Yay I won another KO facebook contest. Maybe I'll get another apron.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Keith Atherton posted:

Have one tin left of these that I won a few years ago

I never think to check their FB page

I'm getting a tin of those and a choice of hat, t-shirt, and apron. Went with the shirt as I assume dine lovers will come and comment on it and I'll make awesome new friends. Also I already have the apron.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Oysters are easy to get into as well since they're usually smoked. You could even just do them in a pasta with lemon and garlic, baby steps your way in. Even my dine hating husband likes that.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I kind of expected it to be red.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Went crappie fishing today, husband's first time fishing and my first time filleting fish. We caught exactly one decent sized fish and dropped him off the dock. The rest were about the size of my hand. Behold our fishy bounty:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

What am I going to drink while I'm cooking then?